Coronavirus - COVID-19

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

User avatar
scotto
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:09 pm
Location: Smack dab in the middle of Missouri

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by scotto »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:29 pm
Zip City wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:42 am
I woke up this morning feeling like someone punched me in the arm, but that's it. My wife is sleeping pretty hard, so I'm wondering if she's feeling more effects than me
Overwhelming fatigue was my wife's principal symptom so you are probably right about your wife.
My first shot was totally uneventful (except for the fact that, when I doffed my sweater for the jab, my t-shirt said 6 FEET AWAY MOTHERFUCKERS--my coworkers got a chuckle out of that). But my second jab laid me low for the better part of the next day. Glad to hear everyone's getting their doses.
And hey, Jeff. Hope all's well.

User avatar
rlipps
Posts: 1655
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by rlipps »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:29 pm
Zip City wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:42 am
I woke up this morning feeling like someone punched me in the arm, but that's it. My wife is sleeping pretty hard, so I'm wondering if she's feeling more effects than me
Overwhelming fatigue was my wife's principal symptom so you are probably right about your wife.
My wife and I got our second Moderna on Feb 19th and I woke up in the middle of the night shaking because I was so cold. Then I'd wake up an hour later sweating profusely. I did that a few times throughout the night, but after I woke up the next morning and showered and ate, I started to feel better. My lunch, I was pretty much fine except for mild fatigue. My wife developed a small knot on her arm and a rash that lasted for 3-4 days. She felt pretty rough for a couple days, but was fine after that.

User avatar
tinnitus photography
Posts: 6512
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by tinnitus photography »

https://covidemails.com/weekly-email-52-the-bs-issue/
BS that can be demonstrably debunked that has persisted through most or all of the pandemic:

a) COVID is substantially transmitted by contact/touch
b) masks are of no value in controlling COVID
c) we can target COVID control by a purely regional or targeted approach without restricting movement in and out of certain populations (e.g. long-term care, or geographical regions)
d) lockdowns cause more health harms than benefits

User avatar
pearlbeer
Posts: 1019
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:56 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by pearlbeer »

Got my 2nd Moderna jab last week. I was fine on the first one, but the 2nd one did kick my ass a bit. 24hrs after the stick, chills and lethargia. About 24hrs later felt just fine. I didn't think I would feel poorly, so I did celebrate the 2nd stick with a number of beers. So, I don't suggest heading into the 2nd stick with a hangover. I hope you guys appreciate my research study.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

User avatar
bovine knievel
Posts: 9277
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:40 pm
Location: Pollyanna doesn't live here.

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by bovine knievel »

Appt. scheduled for Wednesday 3/31 for first dose of Pfizer.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba
Posts: 19571
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 am
Location: Trying to stay focused on the righteous path

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by beantownbubba »

First Pfizer shot last week followed by about 3 days of serious fatigue, finally getting back to normal. More sore around the injection site than typical but nothing too bad.

Thanks pearlbeer. I don't know where we'd be w/out selfless individuals willing to sacrifice their bodies for science.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard.

User avatar
tinnitus photography
Posts: 6512
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by tinnitus photography »

scheduling an appt is a FUCKING PAIN IN THE ASS.

User avatar
bovine knievel
Posts: 9277
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:40 pm
Location: Pollyanna doesn't live here.

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by bovine knievel »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:21 pm
scheduling an appt is a FUCKING PAIN IN THE ASS.
I hear that... I’m eligible because I have emergency response designation for the agency I work for. If that wasn’t the case I wasn’t really sure when I would be eligible.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

chuckrh
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:21 pm
scheduling an appt is a FUCKING PAIN IN THE ASS.
I found trying to schedule or get on waiting lists online difficult. By calling my pharmacy direct, I was able to get an appointment the next day. I did get a response a few days later from some sites where I was able to register but there would've been a delay of a few weeks to get the first dose. I get dose 2 two weeks from Saturday. Good luck!

User avatar
tinnitus photography
Posts: 6512
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by tinnitus photography »

after getting good advice from several friends, I set my alarm for midnight last night. i had my browser open to the CVS site, and was able to choose from a myriad of appt options.

End result:

1st Pfizer shot this Saturday, next one a few weeks later.

User avatar
cortez the killer
Posts: 13533
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:22 pm

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by cortez the killer »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:28 am
after getting good advice from several friends, I set my alarm for midnight last night. i had my browser open to the CVS site, and was able to choose from a myriad of appt options.

End result:

1st Pfizer shot this Saturday, next one a few weeks later.
First shot (Pfizer) tomorrow at 2:15 pm.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

chuckrh
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:28 am
after getting good advice from several friends, I set my alarm for midnight last night. i had my browser open to the CVS site, and was able to choose from a myriad of appt options.

End result:

1st Pfizer shot this Saturday, next one a few weeks later.
Awesome! So much chaos & confusion with the process. There was news in Washington that it would be open for everyone on May 1, now they are saying not so much due to spiking numbers. I'm getting my second shot of Moderna 2 weeks from Saturday. Kind of a viscious few months. Alternating between chemo & vaccine (there are some timing parameters involved). I have to do chemo every 4 weeks. Just had that & a ritualistic bloodletting yesterday. Not a good night. I'm about to fire up the 4 hour Justice League as I'm in the "Breaking Bad" part of after effects.

beantownbubba
Posts: 19571
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 am
Location: Trying to stay focused on the righteous path

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:32 am
Not a good night. I'm about to fire up the 4 hour Justice League as I'm in the "Breaking Bad" part of after effects.
Hang in there my friend.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard.

chuckrh
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:22 am
chuckrh wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:32 am
Not a good night. I'm about to fire up the 4 hour Justice League as I'm in the "Breaking Bad" part of after effects.
Hang in there my friend.
Thanks. It's a little bit of death every 4 weeks. Keeps me grounded.

beantownbubba
Posts: 19571
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 am
Location: Trying to stay focused on the righteous path

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by beantownbubba »

This is a seemingly fair, balanced and knowledgeable "general interest" (i.e. not overly technical but evidence based) take on the Swedish "experiment" and experience with COVID.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch ... =TNY_Daily

I think the entire article is worth your time if you care at all or are at all curious about these issues, but for the lazy among you here's what I consider to be the key paragraph:

"Tegnell’s [the head of Sweden's public health agency; kind of Fauci w/ real power] prediction of a tapering epidemic curve and quickly-attained immunity never came to pass. Sweden’s per-capita case counts and death rates have been many times higher than any of its Nordic neighbors, all of which imposed lockdowns, travel bans, and limited gatherings early on. Over all in Sweden, thirteen thousand people have died from covid-19. In Norway, which has a population that is half the size of Sweden’s, and where stricter lockdowns were enforced, about seven hundred people have died. It’s likely that some simple policy changes—especially shutting down visitations to nursing homes sooner, and providing more P.P.E. and testing to nursing-home staff—would have saved lives. And the strategy doesn’t seem to have helped the economy much: the Swedish G.D.P. fell by around three per cent, better than the European average, but similar to the drop in other Nordic countries."

The author seems to sidestep a conclusion on the "mask issue" but lays out the arguments against wearing them (as well as her own family's experience not wearing them) pretty well and at the very least stops short of an endorsement of that approach. Please read the article and draw your own conclusions but I think she's saying that targeted mask wearing is appropriate, maybe even essential, but broad requirements to wear masks in all circumstances may be more than is necessary. But again, I think she purposely avoids a definitive conclusion on this particular issue and your mileage may vary.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard.

User avatar
RolanK
Posts: 2865
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:52 am
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:04 pm
This is a seemingly fair, balanced and knowledgeable "general interest" (i.e. not overly technical but evidence based) take on the Swedish "experiment" and experience with COVID.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch ... =TNY_Daily

I think the entire article is worth your time if you care at all or are at all curious about these issues, but for the lazy among you here's what I consider to be the key paragraph:

"Tegnell’s [the head of Sweden's public health agency; kind of Fauci w/ real power] prediction of a tapering epidemic curve and quickly-attained immunity never came to pass. Sweden’s per-capita case counts and death rates have been many times higher than any of its Nordic neighbors, all of which imposed lockdowns, travel bans, and limited gatherings early on. Over all in Sweden, thirteen thousand people have died from covid-19. In Norway, which has a population that is half the size of Sweden’s, and where stricter lockdowns were enforced, about seven hundred people have died. It’s likely that some simple policy changes—especially shutting down visitations to nursing homes sooner, and providing more P.P.E. and testing to nursing-home staff—would have saved lives. And the strategy doesn’t seem to have helped the economy much: the Swedish G.D.P. fell by around three per cent, better than the European average, but similar to the drop in other Nordic countries."

The author seems to sidestep a conclusion on the "mask issue" but lays out the arguments against wearing them (as well as her own family's experience not wearing them) pretty well and at the very least stops short of an endorsement of that approach. Please read the article and draw your own conclusions but I think she's saying that targeted mask wearing is appropriate, maybe even essential, but broad requirements to wear masks in all circumstances may be more than is necessary. But again, I think she purposely avoids a definitive conclusion on this particular issue and your mileage may vary.
The article pretty much sums up what has been the general consensus in media over here since, well, around summertime last year.

Regarding the effectiveness of masks; Norway was quite late at making masks compulsory in public places, didn't happen until late in the autumn if I remember correctly, and still is more of a recommendation than a requirement, although most people now wear them when out in the public.

On the other hand the Norwegian government was very quick in virtually "shutting down" the entire country once the virus was here, by enforcing temporary legislation that would restrict movement among the general public; kindergartens, schools, travel outside your own region and abroad, mandatory home office for those able to, restaurants and bars, theaters and cinemas etc, and since then "the numbers" have pretty much been "under control", at least until the British and South African mutations arrived in January, when numbers have started to increase again, resulting in even stricter means to restrict mobility. (Fatalities are still very low though, so it appears that medical treatment practices have improved during the pandemic.) This response was very different from the Swedish strategy and in my very humble opinion seems to be have been the most effective.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

User avatar
RolanK
Posts: 2865
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:52 am
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by RolanK »

One of Norways "leading" conspiracists, corona skepticists and self proclaimed "independent scientist" (I had never hear of the guy) died Tuesday "with" Corona at age 61. Appears to have been quite active on social media and was apparently responsible for hosting a couple of "Corona parties" to prove his theories in the days leading up to his death... There are tweets from his followers, even though it has been confirmed he was infected with the virus, denying Corona was the cause of death. They could be right, of course. Autopsy being performed. We will wait and see. (Not that I believe any media will convince the lunatics otherwise)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

305 Engine
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:53 am

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by 305 Engine »

RolanK wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:57 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:04 pm
This is a seemingly fair, balanced and knowledgeable "general interest" (i.e. not overly technical but evidence based) take on the Swedish "experiment" and experience with COVID.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch ... =TNY_Daily

I think the entire article is worth your time if you care at all or are at all curious about these issues, but for the lazy among you here's what I consider to be the key paragraph:

"Tegnell’s [the head of Sweden's public health agency; kind of Fauci w/ real power] prediction of a tapering epidemic curve and quickly-attained immunity never came to pass. Sweden’s per-capita case counts and death rates have been many times higher than any of its Nordic neighbors, all of which imposed lockdowns, travel bans, and limited gatherings early on. Over all in Sweden, thirteen thousand people have died from covid-19. In Norway, which has a population that is half the size of Sweden’s, and where stricter lockdowns were enforced, about seven hundred people have died. It’s likely that some simple policy changes—especially shutting down visitations to nursing homes sooner, and providing more P.P.E. and testing to nursing-home staff—would have saved lives. And the strategy doesn’t seem to have helped the economy much: the Swedish G.D.P. fell by around three per cent, better than the European average, but similar to the drop in other Nordic countries."

The author seems to sidestep a conclusion on the "mask issue" but lays out the arguments against wearing them (as well as her own family's experience not wearing them) pretty well and at the very least stops short of an endorsement of that approach. Please read the article and draw your own conclusions but I think she's saying that targeted mask wearing is appropriate, maybe even essential, but broad requirements to wear masks in all circumstances may be more than is necessary. But again, I think she purposely avoids a definitive conclusion on this particular issue and your mileage may vary.
The article pretty much sums up what has been the general consensus in media over here since, well, around summertime last year.

Regarding the effectiveness of masks; Norway was quite late at making masks compulsory in public places, didn't happen until late in the autumn if I remember correctly, and still is more of a recommendation than a requirement, although most people now wear them when out in the public.

On the other hand the Norwegian government was very quick in virtually "shutting down" the entire country once the virus was here, by enforcing temporary legislation that would restrict movement among the general public; kindergartens, schools, travel outside your own region and abroad, mandatory home office for those able to, restaurants and bars, theaters and cinemas etc, and since then "the numbers" have pretty much been "under control", at least until the British and South African mutations arrived in January, when numbers have started to increase again, resulting in even stricter means to restrict mobility. (Fatalities are still very low though, so it appears that medical treatment practices have improved during the pandemic.) This response was very different from the Swedish strategy and in my very humble opinion seems to be have been the most effective.
Autumn (edit: sorry, Fall) is roughly when masks became widespread in the UK. The first period of lockdown happened without them. In retrospect a huge mistake.

I still see an ex girlfriend around and she insists on not using a mask and has sworn not to be vaccinated. It's sad to see someone otherwise pretty intelligent falling into that kind of mindset.

User avatar
pearlbeer
Posts: 1019
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:56 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by pearlbeer »

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

chuckrh
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by chuckrh »

Image

chuckrh
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by chuckrh »

Getting my ass kicked by vaccine after effects. I had some trouble after the first shot but am having worse from the second. It's rather like chemo after effects. The RA issues are amplified & I'm not getting around too well. Going to try & get back on food today, didn't go so well yesterday. Don't let my trouble put you off though. I don't do well with vaccines & am pretty sure it's a result of mixing it with the other exotic drugs I have to take to function. Hoping this will pass soon.

Zip City
Posts: 16636
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by Zip City »

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba
Posts: 19571
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 am
Location: Trying to stay focused on the righteous path

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:29 am
Getting my ass kicked by vaccine after effects. I had some trouble after the first shot but am having worse from the second. It's rather like chemo after effects. The RA issues are amplified & I'm not getting around too well. Going to try & get back on food today, didn't go so well yesterday. Don't let my trouble put you off though. I don't do well with vaccines & am pretty sure it's a result of mixing it with the other exotic drugs I have to take to function. Hoping this will pass soon.
Sorry but not surprised to hear this. Sounds brutal. On the plus side, you've dealt with worse, so i know you'll get past this. As I'm sure you know, start slow on the food - liquids, bland, easily digestible etc. I had overwhelming fatigue for multiple days after each injection. I can only imagine how overwhelmed your system must be from this stuff and I guess that means the recovery will be longer too. Hang in there. Big hugs.

FWIW, an immunocompromised friend was advised not to get the vaccine. I don't know what the right advice is (and individual circumstances vary too), but net net you will hopefully have one fewer thing to worry about than he does going forward.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard.

chuckrh
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:03 pm
chuckrh wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:29 am
Getting my ass kicked by vaccine after effects. I had some trouble after the first shot but am having worse from the second. It's rather like chemo after effects. The RA issues are amplified & I'm not getting around too well. Going to try & get back on food today, didn't go so well yesterday. Don't let my trouble put you off though. I don't do well with vaccines & am pretty sure it's a result of mixing it with the other exotic drugs I have to take to function. Hoping this will pass soon.
Sorry but not surprised to hear this. Sounds brutal. On the plus side, you've dealt with worse, so i know you'll get past this. As I'm sure you know, start slow on the food - liquids, bland, easily digestible etc. I had overwhelming fatigue for multiple days after each injection. I can only imagine how overwhelmed your system must be from this stuff and I guess that means the recovery will be longer too. Hang in there. Big hugs.

FWIW, an immunocompromised friend was advised not to get the vaccine. I don't know what the right advice is (and individual circumstances vary too), but net net you will hopefully have one fewer thing to worry about than he does going forward.
thanks

User avatar
bovine knievel
Posts: 9277
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:40 pm
Location: Pollyanna doesn't live here.

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by bovine knievel »

Had my 2nd dose at 9:00 am this morning. So far I’m not feeling anything other than a little groggy.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Zip City
Posts: 16636
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by Zip City »

bovine knievel wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:34 pm
Had my 2nd dose at 9:00 am this morning. So far I’m not feeling anything other than a little groggy.
I had zero side effects from my 2nd Pfizer. Not so much as a sniffle. My wife was knocked flat for 2 days
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer
Posts: 7571
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 9:51 am
Location: Little Rock, Arkansaw
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:30 am
https://blabbermouth.net/news/ted-nugen ... was-dying/

Thoughts and prayers
Bat Scratch Fever
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

User avatar
tinnitus photography
Posts: 6512
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by tinnitus photography »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:17 pm
Zip City wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:30 am
https://blabbermouth.net/news/ted-nugen ... was-dying/

Thoughts and prayers
Bat Scratch Fever
Wang Dang Sweet Poontangolin


beantownbubba
Posts: 19571
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 am
Location: Trying to stay focused on the righteous path

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:52 pm
FLORIDUMB
"vaccinated people “may be transmitting something from their bodies” ".

In other news, the school announced that, effective immediately, all faculty, staff and students are required to wear aluminum foil hats to ward off the transmission of something.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard.

Post Reply