The Guilty Pleasure Music Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

BiloxiParish

The Guilty Pleasure Music Thread

Post by BiloxiParish »

I searched for a topic on this and couldn't find one.. So I'm coming out of the closet

Zac Brown

I hate most if not all the CMT Country world except this guy.. He makes me happy in those places John Prine doesn't..
Last edited by BiloxiParish on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinnitus photography

Re: The Guilty Pleasure Music Thread

Post by tinnitus photography »

that dude can take his knitted beanie and stick up where that mud came from.

i listened to some Hall & Oates on the drive into work today.

Hud

Post by Hud »

BiloxiParish wrote:I searched for a topic on this and couldn't find one.. So I'm coming out of the closet
Zac Brown

I hate most if not all the CMT Country world except this guy.. He makes me happy in those places John Prine doesn't..

Anyone that gets to play with string cheese incident must be fairly good. I like what I have heard on the radio .....
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

I've gotten into the Minneapolis rap scene lately...
But comparing the Minneapolis scene to the national rap scene is like comparing DBT to "99.9 FM Today's Hot County Radio" - there's lots of substance to it and very little mention of ******* a *****, ******* some *****s, ******* some **** while ******* a bunch of *** on a pile of *******, and all the other garbage out there.
Guilty Pleasure.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Barely_Oakely wrote:I've gotten into the Minneapolis rap scene lately...
But comparing the Minneapolis scene to the national rap scene is like comparing DBT to "99.9 FM Today's Hot County Radio" - there's lots of substance to it and very little mention of ******* a *****, ******* some *****s, ******* some **** while ******* a bunch of *** on a pile of *******, and all the other garbage out there.
Guilty Pleasure.

You talking like Atmosphere Rhymesayers?

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

I'm more into Doom Tree and those associated, but yeah.

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

I went through period about 4 years ago whee I would listen to was hip hop and spoken word.. I got into Sage Francis first followed by Atmosphere, POS, and all that followed. Every now and then I listen to it all again. It reminds me a lot of when I met my wife and b4 we had kids!

roland

Post by roland »

I pull out the Barenaked Ladies from time to time. Their first album takes me right back to freshman year in college.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

I think POS's new album "We Don't even Live Here" would be my favorite new purchase if it wasn't for "Southeastern".

I think what draws me to the members of Doom Tree is their sense of community. It's not about LA, mansions, and strippers, or Hating People from the West coast because you're from the East coast - it's about social issues and real life. I appreciate them being grounded.

Ever listen to Scroobious Pip?

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I can't say that I've ever bought into the notion of what a "guilty pleasure" is as there's really nothing in my collection that I'm ashamed of (except for maybe a Bee Gees 45 of "Jive Talkin'" I bought as a kid). Oh, and maybe this counts:

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I don't really feel guilty about any of my "pleasures" ;)
but as someone who usually can't stand Kenny Chesney, I thought this was one of the best things I'd heard on mainstream country radio in years:
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Hud wrote:
BiloxiParish wrote:I searched for a topic on this and couldn't find one.. So I'm coming out of the closet
Zac Brown

Anyone that gets to play with string cheese incident must be fairly good. I like what I have heard on the radio .....

Agree, I've never heard him, but I look forward to Zac & Cheese (http://www.interlockenfestival.com/artist.php?name=zac-brown-incident) at Interlocken.

I do have a guilty pleasure, and....it....is....Bryan Adams. Sorry. I think I bought all his albums up to Reckless, tried the one after that that had the videos w/ the swinging/smashing light bulbs, and then gave up. I don't seek him out, but I rarely turn him off unless it's one of the seriously cheesed-out ballads. Have never seen him live, and probably wouldn't (unless I put on a disguise). The album Cuts Like A Knife is some damn good mindless early-80's pop.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

can't stand Zac Brown - thought it was funny that Johnny Neff wentasfar as commenting about how shitty he is on one of his youtube vid's (after DBT played with ZBB at the Yo Gabba Gabba thing)

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

tinnitus photography wrote:i listened to some Hall & Oates on the drive into work today.

It's you and me foreverererer
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

The first couple Hootie albums.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Barely_Oakely wrote:I think POS's new album "We Don't even Live Here" would be my favorite new purchase if it wasn't for "Southeastern".

I think what draws me to the members of Doom Tree is their sense of community. It's not about LA, mansions, and strippers, or Hating People from the West coast because you're from the East coast - it's about social issues and real life. I appreciate them being grounded.

Ever listen to Scroobious Pip?

Man I got more into the Strange Famous Records crew more than Rhymesayers so year Pip, B Dolan, Jared Paul, Sage Francis was usually my weapon of choice.

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Duke Silver wrote:The first couple Hootie albums.

The first two were great I couldn't tell, you anything they did after that.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Duke Silver wrote:The first couple Hootie albums.

I loved Cracked Rear View. There was also a self-titled Sugar Ray record I thought was pretty good pop.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

BiloxiParish wrote:
Man I got more into the Strange Famous Records crew more than Rhymesayers so year Pip, B Dolan, Jared Paul, Sage Francis was usually my weapon of choice.

Love it. I found out about those guys Via Rhymesayers. I haven't had time to give Dessa's new album a spin, but this interview was awesome:

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Barely_Oakely wrote:
BiloxiParish wrote:

Love it. I found out about those guys Via Rhymesayers. I haven't had time to give Dessa's new album a spin, but this interview was awesome:

Haha I tried to get my wife into the "BackPack Rap" through Dessa! Now I listen to mainly Americana, Punk, and Alt Country my wife mainly listens to hip hop. She couldn't get into it all like I did. I have so much more respect for those artist, throw in Brother Ali in there, more than any rap nowadays:.

The few shows I've been to (Sage, and Atmosphere,) was strange because it was a sea of white kids compared to when i saw The Roots or Lupe where you got a mixture of people. I just wish it could break out of that DIY moldings be taken serious.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

I'm primarily a classic rock kid - I'll take Cream or The Allmans over nearly anything made these days, which is why it's weird to me that I'm getting into hip hop. I wonder about what would happen if some bands were taken "seriously." I think that they DIY nature of that scene is alot like the position DBT is in. Sure it'd feel good for all of them to become millionaires and sell out stadiums, but it would change the way we appreciate them.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Barely_Oakely wrote:I'm primarily a classic rock kid - I'll take Cream or The Allmans over nearly anything made these days, which is why it's weird to me that I'm getting into hip hop. I wonder about what would happen if some bands were taken "seriously." I think that they DIY nature of that scene is alot like the position DBT is in. Sure it'd feel good for all of them to become millionaires and sell out stadiums, but it would change the way we appreciate them.

I'm not so sure that I agree with that. I've seen several bands come up through the ranks over the years and it's not really changed how I appreciate them. You just end up appreciating them with more people. If it changes how you appreciate them, then you probably never really appreciated them in the first place.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I can't say that I've ever bought into the notion of what a "guilty pleasure" is as there's really nothing in my collection that I'm ashamed of (except for maybe a Bee Gees 45 of "Jive Talkin'" I bought as a kid). Oh, and maybe this counts:

I don't care what anybody says, this is a GREAT song. And that girls so damned cute...she could steal my sunshine any day of the week. (insert red-faced emotie here)
Not forever, just for now.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm gonna say there are at least 3 guilty pleasure type threads floating around out there in 3dd land. I remember one in which scotto and i debated whether prefab sprout is a guilty pleasure and another in which we went through our usual thing of trying to define "guilty pleasure" to nobody's satisfaction. KG previously declared his lack of guilt in one of those threads, too (doth the gentleman protest too much? ;) ).

We can do it again, I'm just saying that it makes it harder to participate.

I do wonder, though, about your comment about the changing nature of appreciation or fandom, KG. It seems quite natural to me that one would feel differently about a band where you have to fight to pay $60 for an arena seat v. walking up to pay $15 for a prime club spot where you also get to talk to the band afterwards. The music is the same of course but the experience isn't. And that's leaving aside the question of how many bands make that leap w/out changing their sound in significant ways (did somebody say "sell out thread"? Nope, no way, not me).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

I didn't say I'd appreciate them less, it just changes the way I appreciate them. I'll avoid the sell out topic, but personally I like being front row at a DBT show drinkin a PBR more than I like an arena show for a big band who's music I also love.

Anyways, back to guilty pleasures!
Now that we've talked about it, I don't think I feel all that guilty about enjoying Hip Hop.

I will however call Green Day a guilty pleasure. I know I'm not 15 anymore. I know they haven't made anything relevant or "punk" in over a decade, but I can't help but crank the volume when I'm alone in the car - far from judging ears.

scotto

Post by scotto »

beantownbubba wrote:I'm gonna say there are at least 3 guilty pleasure type threads floating around out there in 3dd land. I remember one in which scotto and i debated whether prefab sprout is a guilty pleasure...

I still think their Steve McQueen (Two Wheels Good in the US) LP rocks.
But I'm with Smitty. I have a lot of pleasures and I don't feel guilty about any of them.
Nope, not even my "Friday I'm In Love" 45 by The Cure.
Or my Bread Greatest Hits album.
Or...

Flea

Post by Flea »

Abba's Greatest Hits
Now it's dark.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

scotto wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I'm gonna say there are at least 3 guilty pleasure type threads floating around out there in 3dd land. I remember one in which scotto and i debated whether prefab sprout is a guilty pleasure...

I still think their Steve McQueen (Two Wheels Good in the US) LP rocks.
But I'm with Smitty. I have a lot of pleasures and I don't feel guilty about any of them.

I'm with you, scotto. Steve McQueen is a great album.

And as for songs...if Jenny, Jenny (867-5309) is good enough for Patterson Hood, it's good enough for me.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Ahem, ahem. Scotto, you were the one who classified Prefab Sprout as a guilty pleasure. I was the one who gave you permission to listen to it w/out fear ;) :D Plus, Jordan, The Comeback is an even better album, and they/he have several others worth listening to. So there.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

BiloxiParish wrote:
Barely_Oakely wrote:I've gotten into the Minneapolis rap scene lately...
Guilty Pleasure.

You talking like Atmosphere Rhymesayers?

Awsome. I was really, really into it a few years back. I still like it but just sort of moved on. I was as crazy about Atmosphere as I am about DBT for a few years. Also, really like Blueprint, POS, MF Doom, Grouch, Unknown Profits and some others.

not Minneaplois rap but Aesop Rock, Murs, Living Legends, Illogic, are all great.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.