Alabama Shakes

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Alabama Shakes

Post by beantownbubba »

Ruh roh. Kiss of death?

Those worried about it becoming "brittany and some other guys" might find fuel for their fire from that pic.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RMD

Post by RMD »

Really? Best new band???? I don't get the hype, they really are not that good at all. Bored to tears by them.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I'm happy for 'em... one of the best new bands I've heard in a while. I just hope they survive the hype.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

RolanK wrote:Did anyone say watershed moment?

damn depressing that the alabama shakes relegated an adam yauch tribute to the corner of the page

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Smitty wrote:I'm happy for 'em... one of the best new bands I've heard in a while. I just hope they survive the hype.

Yes, this is what worries me. I think they're a great band. Especially live. Here I might agree with NME's statement. Their debut album is very good, but perhaps does not quite measure up to the hype they're exposed to now. I hope they have the stamina to ride through these times as it sure will put a lot of strain on the band, and then start focusing on writing awesome songs for coming albums.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

I just scored this sweet shirt for my B-Day

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Two nights at Red Rocks opening for Neil Young. Jeez Louise.

http://www.kbco.com/pages/concerts.html?feed=105542&article=3637445

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

:evil:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

jimmyjack wrote::evil:

You're the first person I thought of when I saw this. For the record, although I do like these kids, this is quite the kick in the pants to hard working musicians everywhere.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Maybe not the best analogy in the world but Blind Melon weren't really around all that long before being chosen to open for Neil Young in '93. That was an entire tour though and not just an opening slot at a relatively high profile gig like Red Rocks. Even though I'm far from a huge fan, I say more power to 'em. I just hope they emerge from all of this attention with level heads. From the sound of the interview they did with Sound Opinions recently that doesn't appear to be a problem.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Maybe not the best analogy in the world but Blind Melon weren't really around all that long before being chosen to open for Neil Young in '93. That was an entire tour though and not just an opening slot at a relatively high profile gig like Red Rocks. Even though I'm far from a huge fan, I say more power to 'em. I just hope they emerge from all of this attention with level heads. From the sound of the interview they did with Sound Opinions recently that doesn't appear to be a problem.

No, I agree with you. I've been behind them from the start but I can understand how some hard working musicians must feel. That's all.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Maybe not the best analogy in the world but Blind Melon weren't really around all that long before being chosen to open for Neil Young in '93. That was an entire tour though and not just an opening slot at a relatively high profile gig like Red Rocks. Even though I'm far from a huge fan, I say more power to 'em. I just hope they emerge from all of this attention with level heads. From the sound of the interview they did with Sound Opinions recently that doesn't appear to be a problem.

No, I agree with you. I've been behind them from the start but I can understand how some hard working musicians must feel. That's all.

Maybe it wasn't your intention, but this post makes it sound like you don't think Alabama Shakes are hard working.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Maybe it wasn't your intention, but this post makes it sound like you don't think Alabama Shakes are hard working.

Certainly not my intention.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Didn't think so.

Still, the music biz isn't fair (and never has been). Some bands are just in the right place at the right time and some never are.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Zip City wrote:Maybe it wasn't your intention, but this post makes it sound like you don't think Alabama Shakes are hard working.

I'll bite - Tequila Cowboy didn't assert that, but I will. I think we need to zero in on the definition of 'hard working' here, as it relates to bands in 2012. Let's define a hardworking band. Here's the Glossary story - a lot like a lotta other stories, but this one will do for now:

-Been at it tirelessly - with no breaks - since the mid nineties, with a long discography that reflects growth with each album.
-Personal and professional turmoil as a result of being in a band - membership turnovers, divorces, costly van issues, and shitty jobs at restaurants and cafes all the while.
-Touring constantly, at the risk of having or maintaining personal relationships, money, etc, in the process amassing goodwill and making friends and making fans. 30+ year old dudes sleeping on floors. Like DBT did.
-Hand-screening beautiful posters, t-shirts, and CD cover art themselves - an autonomous band by NECESSITY, not necessarily CHOICE.
-Opening slots for 'bigger' bands - DBT, Lucero, Violent Femmes - but outside of the southeast, not a band that can draw a packed house.
-Great songs that speak of real, human truths - thoughtful, carefully considered lyrics that resonate with people with an education beyond the fourth grade.
-Have been lugging bass cabs and tube amps around the USA while half of the 3DD board was still listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. With the exception of a ridiculously lavish festival or two (at which they play a cozy 3pm slot), they have NEVER had someone else carry their gear, load their gear onstage, or soundcheck for them.

Now, what 'hard work' are you referring to when we talk about the Shakes? Were the steps up to the stage at the David Letterman show a little too steep? Did Neil Young's booking agent keep them on the phone too long, using up their precious cellphone minutes while he was asking them to open for one of the greatest artists of all time? Do they worry about the long term effects on their eyes of the constant flashbulbs going off around them all the time? Did they have to spend SEVERAL days a week practicing in the three weeks leading up to their unprecedented rise to fame?

I'm being mean, but come on, Zip. Every band works hard. But, relatively speaking, these guys have paid no dues whatsoever. The rise of this band has far more resembled the age of 'boy bands' than it has the age of Tom Petty (or even Nirvana), and will likely have the same results.

Again, not bashing them as people - everything I've heard from people who know them say they're as sweet as pie. This 'too much too soon' shit is not their fault. But let's not assert things about them that just plain aren't true.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i do kinda wonder what a guy like patterson must be thinking about all this. he'll obviously never be anything but complimentary towards them, but it has to sting a bit to play such a large role in bringing a young band to the public's eye only to see them get opportunities your decades old band would still kill to get.

but yeah, its the music industry. fair has never been a relevant term. the real test for these guys remains album #2.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Um..opening for Neil Young 2 nights at Red Rocks? Now this is getting a bit ridiculous. I agree with UR above.

Where is the justice in that?

Good but not....I mean c'mon!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

When have opening bands ever been picked on merit? I can think of plenty of bands who have "put in the work" and been "road dogs" who haven't been given their shot. Shit, I can think of bands that DBT has brought on the road that I didn't think "deserved" that opening slot, but that's how it works; the headliner picks the opener based on friendships, label ties or called in favors.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Shoot. More power to them. The hard working thing is a mirage for having to make it. They have talent, it was noticed and fans can enjoy the ride like The Shakes. Deep inside, I hope they stay for the long term together and don't have big corporation pushing just Brittany. She's mesmerizing but they're a unit that is hitting on all cylinders.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Erdlivz wrote:Shoot. More power to them. The hard working thing is a mirage for having to make it. They have talent, it was noticed and fans can enjoy the ride like The Shakes. Deep inside, I hope they stay for the long term together and don't have big corporation pushing just Brittany. She's mesmerizing but they're a unit that is hitting on all cylinders.

They always push the lead singer, especially when he/she is unique. You don't see Rolling Stone interviewing the keyboard player of MMJ or the drummer of Wilco, right?

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Zip City wrote:
Erdlivz wrote:Shoot. More power to them. The hard working thing is a mirage for having to make it. They have talent, it was noticed and fans can enjoy the ride like The Shakes. Deep inside, I hope they stay for the long term together and don't have big corporation pushing just Brittany. She's mesmerizing but they're a unit that is hitting on all cylinders.

They always push the lead singer, especially when he/she is unique. You don't see Rolling Stone interviewing the keyboard player of MMJ or the drummer of Wilco, right?

Indeed but Zac Cockrells beard alone needs front cover press along w his playing.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

jimmyjack wrote:
Zip City wrote:Maybe it wasn't your intention, but this post makes it sound like you don't think Alabama Shakes are hard working.

I'll bite - Tequila Cowboy didn't assert that, but I will. I think we need to zero in on the definition of 'hard working' here, as it relates to bands in 2012. Let's define a hardworking band. Here's the Glossary story - a lot like a lotta other stories, but this one will do for now:

-Been at it tirelessly - with no breaks - since the mid nineties, with a long discography that reflects growth with each album.
-Personal and professional turmoil as a result of being in a band - membership turnovers, divorces, costly van issues, and shitty jobs at restaurants and cafes all the while.
-Touring constantly, at the risk of having or maintaining personal relationships, money, etc, in the process amassing goodwill and making friends and making fans. 30+ year old dudes sleeping on floors. Like DBT did.
-Hand-screening beautiful posters, t-shirts, and CD cover art themselves - an autonomous band by NECESSITY, not necessarily CHOICE.
-Opening slots for 'bigger' bands - DBT, Lucero, Violent Femmes - but outside of the southeast, not a band that can draw a packed house.
-Great songs that speak of real, human truths - thoughtful, carefully considered lyrics that resonate with people with an education beyond the fourth grade.
-Have been lugging bass cabs and tube amps around the USA while half of the 3DD board was still listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. With the exception of a ridiculously lavish festival or two (at which they play a cozy 3pm slot), they have NEVER had someone else carry their gear, load their gear onstage, or soundcheck for them.

Now, what 'hard work' are you referring to when we talk about the Shakes? Were the steps up to the stage at the David Letterman show a little too steep? Did Neil Young's booking agent keep them on the phone too long, using up their precious cellphone minutes while he was asking them to open for one of the greatest artists of all time? Do they worry about the long term effects on their eyes of the constant flashbulbs going off around them all the time? Did they have to spend SEVERAL days a week practicing in the three weeks leading up to their unprecedented rise to fame?

I'm being mean, but come on, Zip. Every band works hard. But, relatively speaking, these guys have paid no dues whatsoever. The rise of this band has far more resembled the age of 'boy bands' than it has the age of Tom Petty (or even Nirvana), and will likely have the same results.

Again, not bashing them as people - everything I've heard from people who know them say they're as sweet as pie. This 'too much too soon' shit is not their fault. But let's not assert things about them that just plain aren't true.

i'm really glad you bit on that JJ---comparatively, no, they're not...
doesn't mean they're not good, doesn't mean they don't have infinite potential...but they're not as good as the hype (who would be) and they haven't paid those kinda dues many of the bands we love have..great post
and this isn't some kind of backlash, i wish them success but it's baffling to me what's happening here.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

hardworking

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

What's with the paying dues thing? Who cares? Either they have something that appeals to people or they don't. I like Glossary, but the evidence is that they're lacking something that appeals to a broader audience than they've been able to attract. The Shakes have that "new" appeal that suggests promise of bigger things to come that attracts people, and Brittany is a better singer than most indie-level bands ever have, singing a style that is relatively unparalleled in the current music scene, so there's not much competition for what they're offering. For myself, I doubt that it will lead to the bigtime and imagine this is their time right now, and they'll either settle into a moderately popular ongoing touring act or they'll hit a peak, descend and it will lead to their breakup. But to suggest its unfair or undeserved is missing the point I think.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I don't believe Glossary (and many bands of that stature) don't necessarily "lack" anything that keeps them from having a broader appeal; the music business seems to be to be a huge mystery, there's no rhyme or reason why some bands "make it" and others barely scrape by. Speaking of Glossary, I believe their music would appeal to a huge audience if it had a better outlet to actually be heard by more people - to me that seems the biggest obstacle many bands face, actually getting their music heard in the first place.

I'm nothing but proud and happy for the Alabama Shakes, and while the hype may be detrimental in the long run, I see zero reason to hold any ill will towards them. If you want to bitch about this phenomenom, I believe you should direct your venom towards either the music press or whoever and not towards a band that's obviously very talented but did indeed hit the lottery in the music biz, for one reason or another. I mean if you were in a fairly new band and you got offered to open for Neil fuckin' Young, who wouldn't accept that slot? "Sorry Mr. Young, there's other bands who've paid more dues than us and deserve this more than we do, so I regretfully decline yada yada yada". Yeah fuckin' right.

Would I rather see Glossary, Lee Bains III, Wooden Wand, the Dexateens or even DBT open for Neil Young and grace the cover of NME more than the Shakes? Of course I would, but the music biz has never been about justice or fairness, so I'm more than happy one of the "good guys" are in that position, instead of whatever generic lame-ass indie band that usually fills that position.

Don't the hype overshadow the actual talent this band possesses. Time will tell if it's justified, but for now they're doing a damn fine job of convincing me that it is.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

any word of them doing SNL? ..that's probably coming up..

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Penny Lane wrote:this isn't some kind of backlash, i wish them success but it's baffling to me what's happening here.

Thank you, Penny! I was starting to feel like a Bruce Willis movie here. "One man...with an idea...against an entire messageboard. One man...who refused to drink the Kool Aid..." :D

lotusamerica wrote:What's with the paying dues thing? Who cares?

Spoken like someone who's never tried to make a dollar doing a single artistic thing ever.

Smitty wrote:'m nothing but proud and happy for the Alabama Shakes, and while the hype may be detrimental in the long run, I see zero reason to hold any ill will towards them. If you want to bitch about this phenomenom, I believe you should direct your venom towards either the music press or whoever and not towards a band that's obviously very talented but did indeed hit the lottery in the music biz, for one reason or another.

Totally true, and I agree - and I hope it comes across that I do. It's hardly about the Shakes at all, man. Quite honestly, I'm more bummed out by the Neils and the Pattersons - dudes I hold to some sort of vanguard, dudes who inspire me to do what I do for a living, and, at least in Neil's case, are responsible for me picking up an instrument in the first place. These great artists lending their name to such mediocrity bums me out in ways I can't even express, and makes me wonder if they aren't out of touch. Ditto this entire board (13 pages and counting, and that's just one of the several threads) of discerning music listeners who praise the Westerbergs, the Tweedys, etc on a daily basis, yet are seemingly not impervious to the naked emperor campaigns of the mainstream. Again, major bummer for me. You think I like feeling like Chicken Little on band forums?

Someone like Neil has a lot of power to grant a band like Hiss Golden Messenger an opportunity that could change the industry overnight. Yet he plays it safe by courting young audiences, operating just like some douchebag in a board room talking about 'youth markets' and demographics. Do you think either DBT or Neil would be inviting the Shakes to open if they WEREN'T the biggest thing in the world right now? Not a chance. Neil isn't coming out to some rock club scouting out 'fresh new talent.' He waited for the cool people to tell him what was cool and attached his name to it. I think that's gross, and I say that as a guy with a "what would Neil Young Do?" tattoo. Of all the disappointments I have had to contend with in 33 years of being a rabid Neil Young fan, this is the slight from which I may not recover. Fuck you, Neil, and your Blu-Ray too.

Rant over.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

JJ, I don't think Patterson invited Alabama Shakes to open for DBT last fall because they were hot because they weren't then. I think he dug them and gave them a chance like he has with Glossary, Dexateens and countless young bands. The hype came after. I have no explanation for NY though.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:JJ, I don't think Patterson invited Alabama Shakes to open for DBT last fall because they were hot because they weren't then. I think he dug them and gave them a chance like he has with Glossary, Dexateens and countless young bands. The hype came after. I have no explanation for NY though.

x2 JJ, it's like Dexter - you gotta confirm guilt before u move in for the kill. OTOH, I'm guessing you're exactly right about how the decision was made by/for NY.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

You're right about Patterson, I take it back. I guess he was shouting about them from the rooftops before anyone. And I don't think DBT associating themselves with any band is necessarily going to be motivated by anything unscrupulous, because, frankly, they don't need to resort to that shit.