Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

drjayhow

Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by drjayhow »

Howdy. About a year ago I stumbled across a tune called "Carl Perkins Cadillac". I liked it so much I thought surely this band has some other good songs. You know how it is, now I own the entire catalog. As much music as I listen to , how have I overlooked this band? Unforgiveable......... Next reasonable step seems to me to be a live show. I live in Louisiana and have got tickets to the Sunday Sept 4th show at Tips. Can't wait!! Hope I am not the oldest person there (43?). I look forward to joining this forum and learning all I can about this fantastic band. Hope to see some of ya at the show. Forgive me for arriving so late to the party.......

drjay

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Newbie Alert!

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome drjayhow! The live show is going to melt your face. Be prepared! Also I wouldn't worry about being the oldest at a show at the young age of 43!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

I'd say at 43, you're nowhere near the oldest DBT fan. In fact, I think the longer one sticks around and gleans some experiences in life, the more one can appreciate the vivid, almost prophetic wisdom of their lyrics. I don't think many 20 year olds would laugh out loud at the lyrics to a song like "Self Destructive Zones," for instance, but if you lived through and remember that era, you'll find yourself going "Yes. YES, EXACTLY!!" throughout the song the first time you hear it.

Best rock and roll band in America, hands down.

Welcome!

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

Welcome, drjayhow! This band is unbelievably amazing live, prepare for an alsum time on Sept. 4th!

Don't worry about your age none - you'll fit right into the DBT fan scene. (OTOH, I'm 19 and in the great minority of young'uns that love this band ;) ).

You're not going to find a better group of folks than the ones on here. Welcome to the 3DD family.
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

drjayhow wrote:Howdy. About a year ago I stumbled across a tune called "Carl Perkins Cadillac". I liked it so much I thought surely this band has some other good songs. You know how it is, now I own the entire catalog.

Nice, that was the song that hooked me a few years ago, too. I've seen the band half a dozen times since then, and they've played it at almost every show, as the show opener more often than not.

Welcome!
ain't no static on the gospel radio

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Welcome drjay.

I have to tell ya, tho, that you've marked yourself quite clearly as inexperienced in the ways of DBT: Going to only 1 of the 2 shows in what I assume is your home area? You're gonna be kicking yourself for skipping Saturday come late that Sunday nite :lol: :lol:

At 43 you will not feel out of place at all at the rock show.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Welcome aboard. Don't worry about being the oldest. I'm 47 and I'd say a good portion of the DBT audience is forty-something.

And coming late to the party? Party's still in full swing. I didn't get into DBT until 2009. Yeah, I am kicking myself for missing the Isbell years. But the past couple years have been great, the fanbase gets bigger every year and the Greatest Hits compilation ought to get even more people involved. In the past year the band has been on the radio and getting more exposure. And unlike some fanbases, this is NOT a closed community. Show up at the pre-game, hang out with the 3DD crew, get to know the people and you will find you've just made dozens of new friends. I find that the people are the best part about being a DBT fan.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

inman_trucker

Post by inman_trucker »

Welcome to the board of the greatest band, and the greatest fans around! I'll be 45 monday, so dont sweat bein' a 40-something.....
the price of bein' sober is bein' scared out of your mind....

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

welcome to the board dr... i assure you that you will not be the oldest in the house sunday night. as patterson says, see you at the rock show.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Oh man, yeah the live show is what cemented their place as one of my favorites. Don't worry 'bout the age thing. Trucker fans come in all shapes and sizes (and ages). As long as you enjoy the rock, you'll fit in.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

In another 7 years you can join the 3DD AARP club. We got a cool decoder ring
Always go to the show

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Welcome to our 3DD family.....and please dont worry about your age...
just make sure ya dont wear any socks to Tips because DBT will just blow
them bad boys right off.... :lol:
Rock on!!!~
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Jonicont wrote:In another 7 years you can join the 3DD AARP club. We got a cool decoder ring

:lol:

Welcome to 3DD.

javamyth

Post by javamyth »

Go to both shows, you can thank us later.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Jonicont wrote:In another 7 years you can join the 3DD AARP club. We got a cool decoder ring

I want my decoder ring!

Welcome aboard, drjay! I hope I get to see ya in NOLA (I have an extra for Sat. night if you gotta have more Rock Show).
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

javamyth wrote:Go to both shows, you can thank us later.

X2 :D

Wish I could do a 2fer....not happen'in with teh kiddies though. Welcome Dr. J!
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

lynne

Post by lynne »

Welcome! You are not at all late for the party - I just got into DBT January of this year. Been to half a dozen shows and cant wait to get to more. It is going to be the most awesome experience of your life. I second the other's opinions, if you can get to the Saturday night show - DO IT! You are not too old and will have the time of your life. Hopefully you get to meet some of the other 3DDers, this board has the most fantastic people I have ever met in my life!!!!!
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

drjayhow wrote:I live in Louisiana

geaux tigers. and welcome.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

DBT is one of those bands that the first time you hear them, then start listening some more, you say to yourself "damn, finally, a band that writes songs just for me!" And then it gets even better when you realize you're not alone and start meeting other fans - especially the people hanging out here.

Welcome to the Rock Show.

(and since we're all showing our age - 42 going on 14)
Not forever, just for now.

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

'Scratch - you described my progression perfectly. I started listening when Decoration Day was released. Loaded Gun saved my marriage - I could tell you which line but as Cooley did with the gun, I'll leave it to your imagination.

I had quit club concerts years ago when I tired of trying to hear music over the Greek social that seemed to be happening at the same time. Thankfully, a friend invited me to the Rock Show in January and it's a whole new dimension. I've been to two more and hope to do two more in the next two months. So, I'm a relative newbie to the Rock Show.

Now, I've found kindreds here - I am a newbie here and look forward to meeting you all.

BigTom
Site Admin

Re: Newbies--Intoduce yourselves

Post by BigTom »

Welcome drjay....you will definitely not be the oldest. I will have a 65 year old in tow with me at Tips that has been to close to 40 shows.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

BigTom wrote: I will have a 65 year old in tow with me at Tips

Gonna have to start a Medicare club just for John
Always go to the show

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

43 and still rockin'. See ya at Tips.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

drjayhow

Post by drjayhow »

Thanks for the kind welcome!!! I would love to hit Tips both nites, but will have the missus in tow. I have been informed that Saturday nite is for a fancy restaurant and LSU game. I can live with that compromise. Haven't been to Tips since I lived in NOLA in the early 90's. What an awesome homecoming!!! :D

drjay

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Jonicont wrote:
BigTom wrote: I will have a 65 year old in tow with me at Tips

Gonna have to start a Medicare club just for John

:o :lol:
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Got a good buddy in Asheville that is a huge DBT and WSP fan and goes to see both live quite a bit and is in his late 70's.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

RevMatt wrote:Welcome aboard. Don't worry about being the oldest. I'm 47 and I'd say a good portion of the DBT audience is forty-something.

And coming late to the party? Party's still in full swing. I didn't get into DBT until 2009. Yeah, I am kicking myself for missing the Isbell years.

I'm in the same boat as the Rev as I wasn't hooked until 2009, except I'm 49. Then saw the last show of the Righteous Path Tour in Charleston, WV thinking they weren't going to tour after that then saw them 9 times since. But, I'm just saying, make sure you see Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit. They're touring now, he and his band kicks butt and he plays his DBT songs. You need to make up for lost time.

Sub

Post by Sub »

im still pissed I worked durimg the Isbell show a month or so ago, now im left with that I should of called in that day feeling.

Lawsonslastlivinday

Post by Lawsonslastlivinday »

dime in the gutter wrote:
drjayhow wrote:I live in Louisiana

geaux tigers. and welcome.

Glad to see some fellow Tigers fan on here. I too am a newb to the forum, but have been a Truckers fan for years. Glad there is a place to spout off about DBT talk
John Henry was a steel-driving bastard but John Henry was a bastard just the same