dbt tracks week 37 - Little Bonnie/Two Daughters

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

dbt tracks week 37 - Little Bonnie/Two Daughters

Post by Clams »

Might as well get these two out of the way in one shot. We'll call today "Sad Monday."

Two Daughters
When he reached the gates of heaven
He didn't understand
He knew that folks were coming over
Or was it all a dream?
Was it all a crazy dream?

He saw them playing there before him
What were they doing there?
It felt like home, It must be alright
Or is it just a dream?
Is it just a crazy dream?

Memories replay before him
All the tiny moments of his life
Laying round in bed on a Saturday morning
Two daughters and a wife
Two daughters and a beautiful wife

Meanwhile on Earth his friends came over
Shocked and horrified
Dolls and flowers at the storefront
Everybody cried
Everybody cried and cried

Is there vengeance up in heaven?
Are those things left behind?
Maybe everyday is Saturday morning
Two daughters and a wife

Little Bonnie
On the day that she was buried
Her Daddy stood out by the cemetery fence
Prayed to God for forgiveness
For surely all of this is punishment for my sins

They put her in the family garden
Said you could hear his heart breaking miles away
All the men pitched in and bought a marble angel
To mark the piece of land where little Bonnie lay

My Grandma said she would keep her in the mornings
So her Mama could sleep a bit and do the chores and such
She'd read her stories about little girls and magic powers
That would never let a pretty angel hurt

Her Mama's always been a beauty
She's still beautiful to this very day
But they say Bonnie's crystal eyes put the stars to shame
Maybe heaven needed Bonnie's face

My Grandma said she would keep her in the mornings
A swollen angel who never would complain
She'd read her stories about little girls and princesses
Whose Daddy's don't feel punished for what heaven takes away

Little Bonnie never married
Little Bonnie never even made it four
But I grew up in her presence
Even though she was gone before I'z born
Even though she was gone before I'z born
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

'Scratch

Re: dbt tracks week 37 - Little Bonnie/Two Daughters

Post by 'Scratch »

Two Daughters is one song that I cannot listen to. Skip it every time. Having two daughters and a beautiful wife myself, this song is the manifestation of my greatest fears. Hate it. Respect it, but hate it.

Strangely, I love Little Bonnie. It's a little more abstract and deliciously noir. I can handle that one.
Not forever, just for now.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

'Scratch wrote:Two Daughters is one song that I cannot listen to. Skip it every time. Having two daughters and a beautiful wife myself, this song is the manifestation of my greatest fears. Hate it. Respect it, but hate it.

Strangely, I love Little Bonnie. It's a little more abstract and deliciously noir. I can handle that one.

Nice description. I've always loved Little Bonnie, but never could quite put my finger on why. Maybe it's that noir thing.

I also love the way the music - especially the two electric guitars - tells the story. One sounds clean and matter of fact, following Patterson through the song, while the other (e-bowed?) guitar drifts in and out like a ghost. It's a very well put together composition.

My favorite part of Two Daughters is the fractured little piano solo between the first couple verses. The first time I heard it, I thought "wtf was that?" It sounded sloppy, tentative, and confused. Surely there had to have been a better take. After a while I finally realized that was the point. That little piano solo is the song in a nutshell.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Two Daughters illustrates why Cooley needs to pick up the banjo more often
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

Zip City wrote:Two Daughters illustrates why Cooley needs to pick up the banjo more often

THIS!

I can handle both songs, subject-matter wise. "Little Bonnie" is one of my favorite DBT songs, and "Two Daughters" is just so heartbreakingly beautiful...

Clams

Post by Clams »

Considering all the songs they could have chosen from BTCD, Two Daughters was an incredibly weird choice when the band played the Letterman show a couple of years ago. With the infamous FNW to boot.

Do they ever play Little Bonnie these days?

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

Clams wrote:Considering all the songs they could have chosen from BTCD, Two Daughters was an incredibly weird choice when the band played the Letterman show a couple of years ago. With the infamous FNW to boot.

Do they ever play Little Bonnie these days?

They've only played "Little Bonnie" 5 times total.

1. :: 2006-3-16a :: Rolling Stone studios :: Austin, TX
2. :: 2006-6-27a :: Grimey's :: Nashville, TN
3. :: 2006-7-12a :: Schoolkids :: Raleigh, NC
4. :: 2006-10-13 :: Newport Music Hall :: Columbus, OH
5. :: 2007-10-24 :: Beachland Ballroom :: Cleveland, OH

And by incredible luck, I was at 2 of those shows. :D
Last edited by Monty610 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:Considering all the songs they could have chosen from BTCD, Two Daughters was an incredibly weird choice when the band played the Letterman show a couple of years ago. With the infamous FNW to boot.

That was on Conan, and yes, they should have played Ghost to Most
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Yeah, that was puzzling. I wonder if they just wanted to play something that featured Spooner Oldham, since he was playing with them at the time.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

There's a big difference between these two songs. Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife is about when people do bad things to other people. Little Bonnie is about when bad things just plain happen to people.

I like Two Daughters a lot but Little Bonnie fairly consistently makes me cry.

(Most of the songs I'm chasing are Patterson Hood's quieter numbers. If last week is any indication, I'll see a few this tour.)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Duke Silver wrote:

Yeah, that was puzzling. I wonder if they just wanted to play something that featured Spooner Oldham, since he was playing with them at the time.

A lot of BTCD songs have Spooner on them - he plays a great (albeit buried in the mix) part on Ghost to Most
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Smitty wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

A lot of BTCD songs have Spooner on them - he plays a great (albeit buried in the mix) part on Ghost to Most

true. agtm would've been my first choice for conan, too.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife is about when people do bad things to other people.

:?: Explain please...I totally don't get that from this song.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

rockreid

Post by rockreid »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:
Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife is about when people do bad things to other people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Richm ... ee_murders

Clams

Post by Clams »

weeny wrote:
GuitarManUpstairs wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Richm ... ee_murders

from the wiki article...
The American alternative country group Drive-By Truckers dedicated the song "Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife" from their 2008 record Brighter Than Creation's Dark to the Harvey family. Band member Patterson Hood stated he wrote the song in reaction to the death of Bryan Harvey and his family.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:There's a big difference between these two songs. Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife is about when people do bad things to other people. Little Bonnie is about when bad things just plain happen to people.

I like Two Daughters a lot but Little Bonnie fairly consistently makes me cry.

(Most of the songs I'm chasing are Patterson Hood's quieter numbers. If last week is any indication, I'll see a few this tour.)

I'm probably the opposite, I like Little Bonnie, and it is sad for sure, but Two Daughters just kills me every time. I remember reading about the murders at the time and for whatever reason followed the story a bit. I [lay the song on guitar on occasion and sometimes I don't make it through. I have no idea how Patterson does it since knew the family and all. Powerful stuff.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

GuitarManUpstairs

from the wiki article...
The American alternative country group Drive-By Truckers dedicated the song "Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife" from their 2008 record Brighter Than Creation's Dark to the Harvey family. Band member Patterson Hood stated he wrote the song in reaction to the death of Bryan Harvey and his family.
[/quote]

Oh....wow.... never knew the exact background to this song....only what Patterson writes in the liner notes. Imagined it as a father being lost to tragedy of some sort leaving behind his 2 daughters and beautiful wife....definitely a new perspective on the lyrics now.

Thanks all.

GuitarManUpstairs

Both songs are haunting. Little Bonnie is perhaps one of the saddest songs I have ever heard and guts me everytime...especially if my little girl is around. It forces you to think about the unthinkable - but for me the redeaming virtue in this is that in so doing you are forced to observe your blessings and not take them for granted.

BTCD was the first DBT album I picked up and 2 Daughters grabbed my attention immediately, obviously not b/c I knew all the details of the situation Patterson was singing about but simply b/c of the emotion it provoked.

Memories replay before him
All the tiny moments of his life
Laying round in bed on a Saturday morning
Two daughters and a wife

The imagery in this verse is striking and like in Little Bonnie, it always reminds me to take in all the simple joys that are shared with family...

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Oh....wow.... never knew the exact background to this song....only what Patterson writes in the liner notes. Imagined it as a father being lost to tragedy of some sort leaving behind his 2 daughters and beautiful wife....definitely a new perspective on the lyrics now.

Thanks all.

Yeah, the lyric at the beginning about seeing his daughters playing there before him (at the gates of heaven), and asking "What were they doing there?" is him realizing he's dead and that they must be dead as well if they are there with him...

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:

from the wiki article...

Oh....wow.... never knew the exact background to this song....only what Patterson writes in the liner notes. Imagined it as a father being lost to tragedy of some sort leaving behind his 2 daughters and beautiful wife....definitely a new perspective on the lyrics now.

Thanks all.[/quote]

Be sure to check Harvey's band House of Freaks if you haven't done so already.

GuitarManUpstairs

Be sure to check Harvey's band House of Freaks if you haven't done so already.

Most definitely.

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

Being from Richmond and having a connection to the Harvey family, Two Daughters gets me every single time. To be honest, it's one of several things that made me rethink my stance on gun control and weapons in the house with children. Patterson did a phenomenal job with this one.

Little Bonnie gets me too. I used to volunteer a lot with pediactric cancer patients and it reminds me of them and the struggle the entire family experiences. I pray that I never have to know it personally.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Part of why Little Bonnie gets to me so is this difference in the two songs:

Is there vengeance up in heaven?
Are those things left behind?

On the day that she was buried
Her Daddy stood out by the cemetery fence
Prayed to God for forgiveness
For surely all of this is punishment for my sins

Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife takes a more distant, philosophical perspective. Little Bonnie is right up close and emotional by design. Some of us like having our tears jerked and others prefer having them coaxed out. In this, I like Little Bonnie best.

But what a difference in worldview between those songs! In Two Daughters, the father is literally beyond vengeance; in Little Bonnie, he feels as though vengeance is being wreaked upon him. Two Daughters is where I try to be; Little Bonnie is where I'm often at.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Execution date set for Ricky Gray
If carried out, Gray will die a little more than 11 years after a murder rampage that claimed seven lives in Richmond.
He was sentenced to die for the New Year’s Day 2006 slayings of sisters Ruby Harvey, 4, and Stella Harvey, 9. He also killed their parents, Bryan Harvey, 49, and Kathryn Harvey, 39, in their South Richmond home.
Gray, 39, and Ray Dandridge, 39, murdered seven people in Richmond in 2006. Dandridge was sentenced to life, Gray to death.
Gray and Dandridge also killed Ashley Baskerville, 21, who had been a lookout when Gray killed the Harveys; Baskerville’s mother, Mary Tucker, 47; and stepfather Percyell Tucker, 55, in their Richmond home days after the two men killed the Harveys.

Danger Bird

Post by Danger Bird »

Just read the real life story behind Two Daughters for the first time. I will certainly listen to it differently moving forward. Like it wasn't heartbreaking enough already.

Musically speaking, I have always loved Shonna's back up vocals on this song. They really enhance the song for me. In fact, I love her back up vocals throughout the album (Daddy Needs a Drink & Monument Valley). Her voice really sounded great with Patterson's on BTCD. Anyways, probably a subject for another thread. Just my two cents.

Going to go hug my two beautiful daughters right now.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Execution date set for Ricky Gray
If carried out, Gray will die a little more than 11 years after a murder rampage that claimed seven lives in Richmond.
He was sentenced to die for the New Year’s Day 2006 slayings of sisters Ruby Harvey, 4, and Stella Harvey, 9. He also killed their parents, Bryan Harvey, 49, and Kathryn Harvey, 39, in their South Richmond home.
Gray, 39, and Ray Dandridge, 39, murdered seven people in Richmond in 2006. Dandridge was sentenced to life, Gray to death.
Gray and Dandridge also killed Ashley Baskerville, 21, who had been a lookout when Gray killed the Harveys; Baskerville’s mother, Mary Tucker, 47; and stepfather Percyell Tucker, 55, in their Richmond home days after the two men killed the Harveys.

No matter your opinion on the death penalty, this execution has a good chance of being a clusterfuck because of the drug combination VA is planning to use. It may not be as aesthetically pleasant as the state anticipates.
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Wtf was I thinking combining Two Daughters and Little Bonnie into one thread?