the Springsteen thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: the Springsteen thread

Post by chuckrh »

Beaverdam wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:04 am
I would love to hear Highway Patrolman.

I always knew of Bruce, but Beaverdamsfinlaw made me a fan, but I was just reminded Beaverdamsfinlaw has never seen Bruce…prior to tonight.

We’re leaving for Atlanta in a few minutes!
Johnny 99 sounded great the other night

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:42 am
Great set list and an encouraging beginning. I am clearly going to be faced with a hard decision about how much I will be willing to pay to see the Boss one more time. The closer the Boston date gates the more I will want to be there and I'm willing to pay more than face. But I'm not willing to pay 4 figures to sit in the nosebleeds. We'll see...

I like horn sections. I like backup singers. I don't have an ideal size of band in mind, as long as it all sounds good and as long as Nils gets some space to rip. I'm assuming he's not going to do any gymnastics while playing.

I'm sure the set lists will change but it will be interesting to see how much. And some of the shows will no doubt be longer but I'd be surprised if any approach 4 hours. I guess "warhorse" is in the ear of the beholder, but I'd consider "Spirit in the Night," "Jungleland," "Hungry Heart" and "Adam Raised a Cain" to be among them along w/ at least 1 of "Independence Day." and "The River" before even getting to any of the classic covers that have been more or less staples over the years. Particularly pleased to see "Kitty's Back" on the list and I hope it was an old style extended workout version.
"Adam Raised a Cain" is my alltime fave Bruce song but he doesn't do it much now. I got lucky & he did it at the show I saw in 2016. I listed "Thunder Road" because I think he's done that every time I've seen him. "Jungleland" has gotten more rare since Big Man passed. The others you've listed I've seen him do a few times (Hungry Heart maybe more than a few) but not enough for me to call them warhorses. You're right, 4 hour shows are out now. I don't think the band want to play that long now. 3 hours is in the realm of possible though. They were just getting warmed up & in the groove in Tampa. I hope you can find tickets, bubba. Might I suggest is checking out the less gucci seats. I set myself a budget of about $100 (which is pushing it for me) & found seats 4 rows up behind the stage for that much money on the presale. Admittedly they are ADA seats. I wish I didn't have that "adavantage" but it does come in handy sometimes. Maybe you could qualify for those with your recent troubles. Just a thought. I'm on the Stones fansite (IORR) a lot & the warhorse discussion there gets intense. It's easier to see it as the Stones do pretty much the same show every night. You get a few different songs in a show but only a few.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:39 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:42 am
Great set list and an encouraging beginning. I am clearly going to be faced with a hard decision about how much I will be willing to pay to see the Boss one more time. The closer the Boston date gates the more I will want to be there and I'm willing to pay more than face. But I'm not willing to pay 4 figures to sit in the nosebleeds. We'll see...

I like horn sections. I like backup singers. I don't have an ideal size of band in mind, as long as it all sounds good and as long as Nils gets some space to rip. I'm assuming he's not going to do any gymnastics while playing.

I'm sure the set lists will change but it will be interesting to see how much. And some of the shows will no doubt be longer but I'd be surprised if any approach 4 hours. I guess "warhorse" is in the ear of the beholder, but I'd consider "Spirit in the Night," "Jungleland," "Hungry Heart" and "Adam Raised a Cain" to be among them along w/ at least 1 of "Independence Day." and "The River" before even getting to any of the classic covers that have been more or less staples over the years. Particularly pleased to see "Kitty's Back" on the list and I hope it was an old style extended workout version.
"Adam Raised a Cain" is my alltime fave Bruce song but he doesn't do it much now. I got lucky & he did it at the show I saw in 2016. I listed "Thunder Road" because I think he's done that every time I've seen him. "Jungleland" has gotten more rare since Big Man passed. The others you've listed I've seen him do a few times (Hungry Heart maybe more than a few) but not enough for me to call them warhorses. You're right, 4 hour shows are out now. I don't think the band want to play that long now. 3 hours is in the realm of possible though. They were just getting warmed up & in the groove in Tampa. I hope you can find tickets, bubba. Might I suggest is checking out the less gucci seats. I set myself a budget of about $100 (which is pushing it for me) & found seats 4 rows up behind the stage for that much money on the presale. Admittedly they are ADA seats. I wish I didn't have that "adavantage" but it does come in handy sometimes. Maybe you could qualify for those with your recent troubles. Just a thought. I'm on the Stones fansite (IORR) a lot & the warhorse discussion there gets intense. It's easier to see it as the Stones do pretty much the same show every night. You get a few different songs in a show but only a few.
PS: E Street Shuffle was good Wednesday, too.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beaverdam wrote:
Awesome!

Re setlists, pretty much every Bruce tour there is a framework where certain blocks of songs are played at the same point in every show, and then there are certain spots where he rotates hit songs and deeper tracks in and out. I wouldn't expect anything different this time around, though I'd expect it will take a couple of weeks for him to settle on the every night songs and the rotational ones. But I'd say things look REALLY good judging from the set list the other night.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Clams wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:49 am
Beaverdam wrote:
Awesome!

Re setlists, pretty much every Bruce tour there is a framework where certain blocks of songs are played at the same point in every show, and then there are certain spots where he rotates hit songs and deeper tracks in and out. I wouldn't expect anything different this time around, though I'd expect it will take a couple of weeks for him to settle on the every night songs and the rotational ones. But I'd say things look REALLY good judging from the set list the other night.
The stuff from "Letter for You" sounded great live. The 2 songs from the soul cover record less so. Hopefully he'll trim one of those. I really liked "Letter for You". It's a great latter career record.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:56 am
Clams wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:49 am
Beaverdam wrote:
Awesome!

The stuff from "Letter for You" sounded great live. The 2 songs from the soul cover record less so. Hopefully he'll trim one of those. I really liked "Letter for You". It's a great latter career record.
PS: are you going to a show @clams?

Clams

Post by Clams »

chuckrh wrote:
The 2 songs from the soul cover record less so. Hopefully he'll trim one of those. I really liked "Letter for You". It's a great latter career record.
That's your scheduled bathroom break!

chuckrh wrote:
I really liked "Letter for You". It's a great latter career record.
Agree 100%. His best since Magic.

chuckrh wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:57 am
PS: are you going to a show @clams?
Yes Saturday 3/18 in State College, PA. Will be a combo college reunion/Bruce show. Smaller college size arena too. Can't wait.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beaverdam wrote:
I would love to hear Highway Patrolman.

I always knew of Bruce, but Beaverdamsfinlaw made me a fan, but I was just reminded Beaverdamsfinlaw has never seen Bruce…prior to tonight.

Woo hoo!! Have a great time.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Agree w/ pretty much all of the above from chuck & clams, including how the shows are likely to be structured once they settle in and the quality of Letter to You.

Like I said, warhorses are in the ear of the beholder. For example "Rosalita" was guaranteed every night to the point fans began to speculate about when Bruce would NOT play it. Once he didn't play it once, he didn't play it at all for a while, then it became a special somewhat rare treat. Jungleland wasn't played at all after the Big Man passed until it was; my impression is that it then worked its way back to pretty much standard but I could be wrong about that. There's really no rhyme or reason or logic to any of this, I just think it's fun to talk about.

Interesting about the ADA angle, Chuck. I sincerely hope that by the Boston date I can't play it w/ a straight face, but if i can I may well give it a try. And yeah, I don't need primo seats and don't even like floor seats, it's the value/cost ratio that matters. As in, sure, I'd sit in the nosebleeds and have several times, but not for the same price as row 1, seat 1. Last time I looked at the resale market, the cheap seats were, imho only, largely far more overvalued than the better seats. The best seats were just insane but I don't even know what constitutes a fair price for those and like I said the floor seats (and GA) don't appeal to me all that much, though I wouldn't turn one down for a less than stratospheric price.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:11 pm
Agree w/ pretty much all of the above from chuck & clams, including how the shows are likely to be structured once they settle in and the quality of Letter to You.

Like I said, warhorses are in the ear of the beholder. For example "Rosalita" was guaranteed every night to the point fans began to speculate about when Bruce would NOT play it. Once he didn't play it once, he didn't play it at all for a while, then it became a special somewhat rare treat. Jungleland wasn't played at all after the Big Man passed until it was; my impression is that it then worked its way back to pretty much standard but I could be wrong about that. There's really no rhyme or reason or logic to any of this, I just think it's fun to talk about.

Interesting about the ADA angle, Chuck. I sincerely hope that by the Boston date I can't play it w/ a straight face, but if i can I may well give it a try. And yeah, I don't need primo seats and don't even like floor seats, it's the value/cost ratio that matters. As in, sure, I'd sit in the nosebleeds and have several times, but not for the same price as row 1, seat 1. Last time I looked at the resale market, the cheap seats were, imho only, largely far more overvalued than the better seats. The best seats were just insane but I don't even know what constitutes a fair price for those and like I said the floor seats (and GA) don't appeal to me all that much, though I wouldn't turn one down for a less than stratospheric price.
Just get a cheap cane & maybe drool a little & you'd be fine for ADA. :lol:

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Doing Thunder Road with full band @ sound check in Atlanta. 8-)

Clams

Post by Clams »

https://www.backstreets.com/news.html

Well this is pretty big news

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Clams wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:28 pm

Ya, I knew Charles R Cross (started Backstreets). I think he writes reviews once in awhile for the Seattle Times now.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

here's the livestream from Atlanta. bit late, sorry.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm guessing that beaverdam and bdfil are in a mindblown state of shock. Tell all, guys!

Edit: Whoops, w/ the sun shining brightly here I forgot it's still very early morning there, so I guess they've still got a few hours before they are derelict in their duties.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:28 pm

Indeed. And very well said.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Beaverdamsfinlaw quote, “Best damn show I’ve ever seen including Clapton in ‘74! My only question is how can someone his (Bruce’s) age go that long without having to pee, I had to go twice!”

I had a great time! I genuinely appreciated getting to see Bruce. I’ve attended many smaller concerts and many festivals, but to have seen as much live music as I have, I’ve really never seen many big arena shows. Being able to sit down was nice, and we were in the top row and could stand when needed without having to worry about obstructing someone else’s view. Studying the crowd at the show was interesting.

I didn’t realize the new sax player is Clarance’s nephew. The coordination of the band is pretty amazing and made for a great Friday night.

I was not familiar with the song Last Man Standing and really enjoyed it. The Legion Hall line got me as we had a Legion Hall in Beaverdam at which I sometimes attended “dances” years ago.

Per Beaverdamsfinlaw Facebook report I heard there were a few other Heathens in attendance, but our paths did not meet. The arena was so large, I kind of felt a little like Forrest Gump surveying it and the crowd.

All in all I had a great night and felt very fortunate to have attended, especially since I had no plans to do so earlier in the week. See y’all soon!
beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:12 am
I'm guessing that beaverdam and bdfil are in a mindblown state of shock. Tell all, guys!

Edit: Whoops, w/ the sun shining brightly here I forgot it's still very early morning there, so I guess they've still got a few hours before they are derelict in their duties.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Beaverdam wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:40 pm
Beaverdamsfinlaw quote, “Best damn show I’ve ever seen including Clapton in ‘74! My only question is how can someone his (Bruce’s) age go that long without having to pee, I had to go twice!”

I had a great time! I genuinely appreciated getting to see Bruce. I’ve attended many smaller concerts and many festivals, but to have seen as much live music as I have, I’ve really never seen many big arena shows. Being able to sit down was nice, and we were in the top row and could stand when needed without having to worry about obstructing someone else’s view. Studying the crowd at the show was interesting.

I didn’t realize the new sax player is Clarance’s nephew. The coordination of the band is pretty amazing and made for a great Friday night.

I was not familiar with the song Last Man Standing and really enjoyed it. The Legion Hall line got me as we had a Legion Hall in Beaverdam at which I sometimes attended “dances” years ago.

Per Beaverdamsfinlaw Facebook report I heard there were a few other Heathens in attendance, but our paths did not meet. The arena was so large, I kind of felt a little like Forrest Gump surveying it and the crowd.

All in all I had a great night and felt very fortunate to have attended, especially since I had no plans to do so earlier in the week. See y’all soon!
beantownbubba wrote:

Awesome!
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Beaverdam wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:40 pm

beantownbubba wrote:

Glad you enjoyed it! A good Bruce show (which this definitely was) is like rock 'n roll church. You've been saved!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Warren Zanes, formerly of the Del Fuegos, has a book coming out in May on the making of Nebraska. I don't know all his work, but his writing that I've read tends to be pretty high quality. See, e.g., his op-ed in today's NYT about the Grammy's, which I think pretty much gets it right.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:44 am
Warren Zanes, formerly of the Del Fuegos, has a book coming out in May on the making of Nebraska. I don't know all his work, but his writing that I've read tends to be pretty high quality. See, e.g., his op-ed in today's NYT about the Grammy's, which I think pretty much gets it right.
That will be on my list. I would say Nebraska has likely been my favorite Bruce album and it's been a dream to see him play it live. That's a case where I'd probably consider four figures, since it'd probably be a theater setting.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

COVID is ripping through the Springsteen touring party. Soozie Tyrell, LIttle Steven & Nils Lofgren so far with the onstage people. Maybe Mrs Boss too. No postponed shows so far but it feels like it's coming.

Clams

Post by Clams »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOPt0o9UQ0g&t=92s
George strait with the Austin intro

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Clams wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:43 am
It was pretty cool!

Damn, what a show. The Boss delivers. Always.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

pearlbeer wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:38 pm
Clams wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:43 am
It was pretty cool!

Damn, what a show. The Boss delivers. Always.
Glad it was good for you. I'm getting excited for the 27th~!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

https://www.ticketnews.com/2023/02/tank ... g-on-tour/

Similar story here in Austin. I (very angrily) pass on tickets during pre-sale as they were well beyond insane. Last minute ticket, while still expensive, was much more reasonable. I'd guess prices dropped by 60%. Also, fuck ticketmaster.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

pearlbeer wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:55 pm
https://www.ticketnews.com/2023/02/tank ... g-on-tour/

Similar story here in Austin. I (very angrily) pass on tickets during pre-sale as they were well beyond insane. Last minute ticket, while still expensive, was much more reasonable. I'd guess prices dropped by 60%. Also, fuck ticketmaster.
I got an email about merch. $50 t-shirts. I'm not surprised. I just refuse to spend that much. The only time I did was a Stones/Seahawks shirts that was special. Bruce's are very ordinary. I like fan friendly bands in regards to merch. DBT, the Cure, Flaming Lips, NIN, GBV all charge $25-$30 for regular shirts. I got an awesome NIN long sleeve for $40 at the show last summer. The Cure are even keeping the shirts $25 in the online store & they're pretty cool.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It’s disappointing to see an artist with such a deep catalog is out there playing the same set list every night.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever