Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Post by RolanK »

Saw Pavement in Oslo a couple of weeks ago. They were great. I believe this was my third time seeing them over the years and by far my favorite one.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I recently saw Charly Lowry (Dark Water Rising), Caitlin Cary and H.C. McEntire as part of the Southern Songbirds series at the NC Museum of History in Raleigh that's happening in conjunction with The Power of Women in Country Music exhibit that runs until February. It was my first time seeing Charly. I can't remember the last time I saw a Caitlin solo show but it's been a long while. She's doing just a few shows locally in celebration of the 20th anniversary of her debut solo album, While You Weren't Looking. She had an outstanding backing band in Joe Westerland (Megafaun), Jesse Huebner (Patty Hurst Shifter), Matt Douglas (Mountain Goats), and Brett Harris (Big Star's Third). However, most impressive was H.C. McEntire who's set to release her third solo album, Every Acre, which is due towards the end of January.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

RolanK wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:01 am
Saw Pavement in Oslo a couple of weeks ago. They were great. I believe this was my third time seeing them over the years and by far my favorite one.
Awesome!
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

Saw the Greensboro-based Old Heavy Hands at the Backstreet Pub in Beaufort, NC last weekend. This is a band that's been highly recommended to me over the past couple years that I never got around to checking out. Better late than never. They have the goods. I definitely put them in the DBT's/Lee Bains vein of things. They're currently on tour with the Vandoliers. Be sure to check them out if at all possible.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Flaming Lips & Particle Kid were amazing last night. It was a make up show & the Lips played a solid 2 hours which is longer than usual. Particle Kid's opening set didn't disappoint. I think Micah Nelson is more talented than his brother & the set was great. Micah also came out for a song with the Lips & did a blistering solo.

There were a lot of surprises in the Lips set both in what they played & what they didn't. There was only 1 song from The Soft Bulletin & I didn't even mind. Killer light laser/show & the usual special effects like Wayne defeating the pink robot. A couple of surprise cover versions. They did the pschedelic Borderline (yes, the Madonna song). Pretty obscure & very cool. They brough out 14 year old Nell Smith from Burnaby BC for a smoking version of NIck Cave's Red Right Hand. Totally awesome. I had forgotten about the record she did with the Lips of Nick Cave covers. A very talented young lady who I think will go far.

I'm paying today but I'm glad I went. The Lips are always great & always different. Go see them if you get the chance.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Zach Bryan at Summerfest on 7/7
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Buddy Guy in August. The farewell tour. He's charging retirement prices this time. My friend bought the tickets for us & she got nice seats on the main floor. The catch: $100 a ticket. I think they topped out at $150. The $100 was out of my league right now but I'm getting some nice payback. Buddy is pretty much the last of a kind & still can play. I had a drink with him once & he's really nice, too. I sat there & listened to him tell stories. Fascinating.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Van Morrison & band @ the Shubert Theater, Boston 20 November 2022. Van Morrison is legendary for a lot of reasons, one of them being that you never know what you're going to get. He can ignite the state, or he can self immolate. But the reason we always go to the show is because you might catch a night like this. WOW.

His 9 person band was superb. Nine musicians all dressed in black playing I don't know how many instruments. Van was resplendent in hat, sunglasses and a suit identified as magenta by my wife; all I know is that it is a color not found in nature. But the cat can sing. And play the sax. And the harp. And lead a band. I guess it's pretty well known that Van sang "Comfortably Numb" w/ Roger Waters at the Berlin Wall but I somehow missed that. I heard it loud and clear tonight when he performed it as more or less a duet w/ his backup singer. Excellent.

Being old school, I prefer bands that don't play to a strict set list and early on that 's what Van seemed to be doing. But then he started w/ the audibles (I think "Wild NIght" was the first) and that took things to another level. All the soloists, which included 2 percussionist, 2 guitarists, trumpet, sax, bass, vocals, keyboards and xlyophone, were tasty at worst and more often soaring and spot on*. The trumpet solo on "Gloria" somehow wandered into Stevie Wonder's "Living For the City." Hey, don't ask me, but it worked wonderfully. The early songs featured the band swinging in almost Ellingtonian fashion including a fairly upbeat "Have I Told You Lately" and I was thinking "Van Sings Songs for Swinging Lovers" which was no diss. But then he dipped more into the R&B/blues part of the repertoire. "Into the Mystic" blew the roof off as did "Gloria" (encore), "Baby Please Don't Go" and a couple of others but Van was into it all night and the band cooked and the whole thing was exactly why we go to see Van who is still the man.

The band members were not introduced but they were obviously of the "musicians' musicians" class.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:40 pm
Van Morrison & band @ the Shubert Theater, Boston 20 November 2022. Van Morrison is legendary for a lot of reasons, one of them being that you never know what you're going to get. He can ignite the state, or he can self immolate. But the reason we always go to the show is because you might catch a night like this. WOW.

His 9 person band was superb. Nine musicians all dressed in black playing I don't know how many instruments. Van was resplendent in hat, sunglasses and a suit identified as magenta by my wife; all I know is that it is a color not found in nature. But the cat can sing. And play the sax. And the harp. And lead a band. I guess it's pretty well known that Van sang "Comfortably Numb" w/ Roger Waters at the Berlin Wall but I somehow missed that. I heard it loud and clear tonight when he performed it as more or less a duet w/ his backup singer. Excellent.

Being old school, I prefer bands that don't play to a strict set list and early on that 's what Van seemed to be doing. But then he started w/ the audibles (I think "Wild NIght" was the first) and that took things to another level. All the soloists, which included 2 percussionist, 2 guitarists, trumpet, sax, bass, vocals, keyboards and xlyophone, were tasty at worst and more often soaring and spot on*. The trumpet solo on "Gloria" somehow wandered into Stevie Wonder's "Living For the City." Hey, don't ask me, but it worked wonderfully. The early songs featured the band swinging in almost Ellingtonian fashion including a fairly upbeat "Have I Told You Lately" and I was thinking "Van Sings Songs for Swinging Lovers" which was no diss. But then he dipped more into the R&B/blues part of the repertoire. "Into the Mystic" blew the roof off as did "Gloria" (encore), "Baby Please Don't Go" and a couple of others but Van was into it all night and the band cooked and the whole thing was exactly why we go to see Van who is still the man.

The band members were not introduced but they were obviously of the "musicians' musicians" class.
Glad you had a good time, bubba. Van had been on my bucket list (not much to zero left now) & I finally saw him about 4 years ago when he did a Vegas residency. It was around my bday at the end of January. The show I saw was real good but not quite as transcendent as the show you saw. As a bonus though there was a freak heatwave that weekend & it was in the 80s the whole weekend & they had to open up a pool. I think that was my last Vegas run. I used to go a lot. I may make another trip as I have a friend who moved down there but not in the forseeable future.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i was pretty surprised that he was playing two nights there after playing the Pavilion earlier this summer.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:34 pm
i was pretty surprised that he was playing two nights there after playing the Pavilion earlier this summer.
This was not part of a tour. As I heard it, Van was "in the neighborhood" for a lucrative private gig and was persuaded to do a couple of fundraising shows for the Boch/Wang whomever Center, with whom he has a pretty strong relationship. It was all pretty last minute as these things go.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

tinnitus photography

ah that makes sense.

he was probably playing a MAGA/antivax fundraiser for Ernie Boch and Robert F Kennedy jr.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Clams wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:17 pm
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:34 pm
Saw James McMurtry on Saturday night. Predictably excellent.
Saw him a few months ago and I'd say that he's so fucking good that he's almost boring, if that makes sense.
It does make sense. I was most struck by what an underrated guitar player he is. This was my first time seeing him, but will obviously not miss if I ever have the chance again.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

A head's up: 1 of my buddies went to see the Lemonheads this weekend in Seattle. He was extremely disappointed. He said Evan Dando appeared to be so fucked up that he could barely play. My friend said he felt sorry for him more than anything else & ended up walking out on the show.

tinnitus photography

that's always the hazard w/ Evan.

last couple of times i've seen him he's been great.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Anyone heard anything recently about Fred Eaglesmith? I was playing a song of his I recalled the other day and realized it's been years since I've seen him live. Pre-pandemic, I kind of recall him basically signing up for a life on the road and living on a bus. Looks like he has not played a live show in quite some time. Now I'm worried.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

11/29 Soen/Oceans of Slumber - Allston, MA
11/30 Patterson Hood - Fairfield, CT
12/1 Amon Amarth/Carcass/Obituary/Cattle Decapitation - New York, NY
12/2 Dinosaur Jr./Guided By Voices/Eugene Mirman - Philadelphia, PA
Last edited by Bill in CT on Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Kudzu Guillotine

pearlbeer wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:28 pm
Anyone heard anything recently about Fred Eaglesmith? I was playing a song of his I recalled the other day and realized it's been years since I've seen him live. Pre-pandemic, I kind of recall him basically signing up for a life on the road and living on a bus. Looks like he has not played a live show in quite some time. Now I'm worried.
Not sure where I read it but I believe he's no longer touring. Same for Matthew Ryan.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Billy Strings at Red Rocks on 5/12
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

12/6 Patterson Hood - Brooklyn, NY
12/7 Patterson Hood - Brooklyn, NY
12/14 Bonny Light Horseman - Brooklyn, NY
Last edited by Bill in CT on Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

12/9 - Chuck Prophet

So glad to be able to Chuck healthy again!

Kudzu Guillotine

Tift Merritt Sings the Women of Country Music as part of the Southern Songbirds series at the NC Museum of History in Raleigh tonight which is being held in conjunction with their ongoing exhibit, The Power of Women in Country Music. MC is Jim Lauderdale.

Tomorrow is An Evening with Patterson Hood at Motorco in Durham. Believe it or not, this is will only be my third Patterson solo show, not counting when he screened Network as part of the Modern School Film's Film: Acoustic series at the Carolina Theatre in Durham a few years ago. That was mostly discussion of the film itself but he also did a few songs afterwards, including one about Tarzan that dated back to when he was a kid. The last before that is when he, the EZB, and Jay played the ArtsCenter in Carrboro when he was touring in support of Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance. The first was when he was touring in support of Murdering Oscar. I forget who all he had backing him that night aside from Neff but it was a stripped back thing, not a full band.

tinnitus photography

last night i saw Scissorfight and Gozu
tonight it's King Buffalo, KIND and Mother Iron Horse
tmrw it's Budos Band
monday it's Lightning Bolt
Tues it's a photo shoot w/ Blood Lightning

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit tomorrow night. Based on the venue I’m guessing it will be a more laid-back set.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:23 pm
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit tomorrow night. Based on the venue I’m guessing it will be a more laid-back set.
Show was great, which wasn’t a shocker, but we got a pleasant surprise when the band played Southeastern all the way through. Apparently the shows were recorded for a live album for the album’s 10th anniversary next year.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

tinnitus photography

tonight it's Modest Mouse
tmrw it's Foals

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:16 pm
tonight it's Modest Mouse
tmrw it's Foals
That's a good weekend of music. I'm hoping we get an announcement after New Years about a Cure North American tour. The European tour that just finished was nothing short of phenomenal. I've got tapes of most of it & Robert is on top of his game.

tinnitus photography

speaking of The Cure, this is pretty huge news!

https://www.clashmusic.com/live/siouxsi ... -10-years/

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:07 am
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:23 pm
Show was great, which wasn’t a shocker, but we got a pleasant surprise when the band played Southeastern all the way through. Apparently the shows were recorded for a live album for the album’s 10th anniversary next year.
https://www.jambase.com/article/jason-i ... le-setlist

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:45 pm
speaking of The Cure, this is pretty huge news!

https://www.clashmusic.com/live/siouxsi ... -10-years/
Ya. I hope this means some new music, too. It's been a long time. The only time I saw her was on the first lollapalooza. Younger, much wilder days. Let's just say I was hanging out with Linda Sue Dixon that day. Show was the only time I saw Jane's Addiction where they were actually good. The recreational activities might've had something to do with that though. Only regret about that show was NIN had dropped off the tour by the time it hit my part of the world. I more than made up for it later.