Boston, MA, 4/28/22 @ The Royale

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Boston, MA, 4/28/22 @ The Royale

Post by beantownbubba »

Who's in?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Mundane Mayhem

Re: Boston, MA, 4/28/22 @ The Royale

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:44 am
Who's in?
Only in spirit.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

unfortunately i have another show.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:50 pm
:(

I'm starting to think that you're avoiding me. We'll soon be measuring our last meeting in decades, not years.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:24 am
tinnitus photography wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:50 pm
:(

I'm starting to think that you're avoiding me. We'll soon be measuring our last meeting in decades, not years.
i will be at one of the Waterworks shows this weekend (prob Sat) and Cat Power on Mon. Curtis Harding on Wed.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Have a great time tonight, Bubba (and any lurkers).
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

vanark

Post by vanark »

I was there! Fun time for sure. The crowd and the band were getting it and enjoying the moments.

I pressed record too so there will be a recording on the LMA in a day or two.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:35 pm
Have a great time tonight, Bubba (and any lurkers).
Merci beaucoup mon ami.

Just so I don't forget I thought the sound was superb. I was at various point stage right about 3 to 5 rows back from the rail.

I love this band. I just do. But I don't see how anyone w/ any interest in and experience of rock music could think that the show was anything less than excellent.

The first rule of Heathenhood is always go to the show. The second rule is that if they open w/ "The Living Bubba" it's gonna be a time, and a time it was. Many highlights, no lowlights. More tomorrow but just a couple of thoughts:

Jay waved to my wife from the stage and for a few minutes she became a mini celebrity lol. Who is that? Why did Jay acknowledge her? Etc, etc :)

In what way(s) was EZB superior to his performances at homecoming a mere 2.5 weeks ago? I have no idea, but he was. He was superb and I regularly found my attention drawn to the drums. As noted at HHC, the virtuousity of all the musicians seems to be up a couple of notches and tonight confirmed that. Seriously excellent playing by all throughout the show.

I've only heard it 3 times, but tonight's version of "Every Single Storied Flameout" was over the top great. The 2 horns were far better than the 1 (sax) they used in Athens but it was a lot more than that. That song just cooks and that's w/ being only semi familiar w/ the lyrics.

"Sinkhole" followed by "Uncle Frank" is an astonishing, powerful 1-2 punch.

4 new ones in a row? Who does that? It worked out just fine; I don't know if the majority of the crowd was already familiar w/ the new tunes or if the crowd just took to them, but there was no interruption of the flow of the show.

Speaking of the crowd, I'd say the main floor was 3/4 or slightly more full but the balcony was closed. Continuing recent trends there were a good number of women in the audience and there were a decent number of fans at the younger end of the age spectrum.

Must sleep...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Some further thoughts/observations:

Someone will have the actual data but it's my impression that it's pretty rare to get both "Deeper In" and "My Sweet Annette" in the same show.

The crowd was enthusiastic and apparently knowledgeable from the get go but by the finale, the excitement was palpable and I think it's fair to say that by "Grand Canyon" DBT brought the house down.

The rhythm section (including Jay's keys) is wonderfully propulsive these days. Even a countryish ballad like "Annette" bubbled along with new energy. Jay put a couple of new wrinkles on his keyboard fills on some of the standards (e.g WWW) and once again shredded his solos. Matt has to be considered in any conversation about the best bassists currently out there. I suppose it's more or less a cliche by now but yeah, Patterson is an underrated guitarist. When he chooses to he can pull off some beautiful runs.

The show was about 2:15. According to all my info including the sign at the box office, Lydia Loveless was supposed to go on at 8:30 but by the time we arrived at about 8:20 she was already well into her set. Not sure what that was about. She's got the talent, the songs and the voice but I prefer to listen to her in a band, as opposed to solo, setting.

Josh Kantor played keys on "Hell No/Sign" mid set and then came back for the last couple of songs including LTBR and GC. At this point he seems widely recognized by the crowd and fit in nicely allowing some old fashioned 3 guitar madness in front of him. I'll be going to my first Sox game of the season next week so I will be listening extra close to the organ interludes :)

Now that the band is basically traveling w/ a "horn section" it seems to me that they should use it for more than just the one new song. I think their use of horns in the past has been very successful and a number of songs can benefit from the extra spice. But then again, I'm a sucker for horns. Oh, btw, very unusually in my experience, the horn players were placed on either end of the stage instead of being grouped together into a "section."

Tim Carey, long time Boston area- based fan but not on here, got his wish for "Rosemary With a Bible and a Gun." The band also played "Heroin Again" making 2 songs from The Unraveling w/out playing "Slow Ride Argument."

Doesn't anybody have a setlist?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Thanks for the recap(s) bubba
If you don't run you rust

vanark

Post by vanark »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:26 am

This is pretty close. I will know better once I track out the recording.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/driveby- ... 65319.html

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

beantownbubba wrote:

Next time bring a pen :lol:
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

vanark wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:03 pm
beantownbubba wrote:

Looks good to me. Thanks.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Still buzzed from the show but starting to face up to the reality that it's looking like a long drought ahead. I really wish we had been able to make the Europe thing work.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

vanark wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

As I assume I made clear in my earlier comments, the set was terrific and I didn't feel cheated in any way, but I think it should be noted that 27 songs is a hell of a lot of songs. If nothing else, the Truckers provide good value. :)

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:45 am
vanark wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

As I assume I made clear in my earlier comments, the set was terrific and I didn't feel cheated in any way, but I think it should be noted that 27 songs is a hell of a lot of songs. If nothing else, the Truckers provide good value. :)
How was Lydia Loveless? When I saw her open for DBT pre COVID she was quite good.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
vanark wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Truckers are one of the “older” bands I listen to who have not slowed down in terms of set length. Just saw the Felice Brothers whose set was 15 songs. My Morning Jacket’s current tour has them at under 20 songs per show (I’ve seen them 7 times and it’s never been that few). Wilco shows are usually under 2 hours.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:15 am
beantownbubba wrote:
vanark wrote:

Truckers are one of the “older” bands I listen to who have not slowed down in terms of set length. Just saw the Felice Brothers whose set was 15 songs. My Morning Jacket’s current tour has them at under 20 songs per show (I’ve seen them 7 times and it’s never been that few). Wilco shows are usually under 2 hours.
I saw MMJ last October & they played over 2.5 hours, damn near 3. It was phenomenal! They have a lot of long songs, too. That tour they were changing the setlists a lot on the multi night stands. It will probably change now when they're playing the sheds & wineries etc. A few weeks later Wilco played about 2 hours as you said. It was a fun show. They had Young Fresh Fellows open & everyone came out on stage for a rousing encore of Helter Skelter. The recent Yankee Hotel Foxtrot shows were really short but potent. I just listened to one & I actually liked the encore more. Some really rare stuff augmented by the strings & horns. The tape is great but I heard the tickets were very spendy.

vanark

Post by vanark »

beantownbubba wrote:
Now that the band is basically traveling w/ a "horn section" it seems to me that they should use it for more than just the one new song. I think their use of horns in the past has been very successful and a number of songs can benefit from the extra spice. But then again, I'm a sucker for horns. Oh, btw, very unusually in my experience, the horn players were placed on either end of the stage instead of being grouped together into a "section."
Did the horns play on a second song later in the set? I seem to recall it, but somehow didn't register when listening to the show. I'll probably hear them when I give it another listen, but time to get it uploaded.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

chuckrh wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:44 am
Zip City wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:15 am
beantownbubba wrote:

I saw MMJ last October & they played over 2.5 hours, damn near 3. It was phenomenal! They have a lot of long songs, too. That tour they were changing the setlists a lot on the multi night stands. It will probably change now when they're playing the sheds & wineries etc. A few weeks later Wilco played about 2 hours as you said. It was a fun show. They had Young Fresh Fellows open & everyone came out on stage for a rousing encore of Helter Skelter. The recent Yankee Hotel Foxtrot shows were really short but potent. I just listened to one & I actually liked the encore more. Some really rare stuff augmented by the strings & horns. The tape is great but I heard the tickets were very spendy.

And then there's this fucking guy:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-mcc ... 662c6.html
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

vanark wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:12 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Did the horns play on a second song later in the set? I seem to recall it, but somehow didn't register when listening to the show. I'll probably hear them when I give it another listen, but time to get it uploaded.
Last night in asbury park the horns only played on the one Cooley song
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

vanark wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:12 am
beantownbubba wrote:
I just remember one. Let us know if the tape says different.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Now that the band is basically traveling w/ a "horn section" it seems to me that they should use it for more than just the one new song. I think their use of horns in the past has been very successful and a number of songs can benefit from the extra spice.
Speaking of which, what about "Sea Island Lonely"?