The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:01 pm
The two billion dollar payoff:

Princelings and War Crimes
The Kushner-bin Salman connection runs even deeper than you think.

It was one of the few times when I surveyed the horizon and thought, “Maybe the good guys don’t come out on top in this?”
I've been trying to figure out what to say about this ever since the news broke. It is obviously corruption on a grand, possibly never before seen, scale but the questions about it relate to real "inside baseball" stuff that I know nothing about (i.e. who did what to whom and when). Even Marshall doesn't have the full story though he gets further than anything else I've seen. Then there's this:

"...perhaps we can see it more broadly as a transnational layer of authoritarian or authoritarian-friendly billionaires and princelings running the show separate from the actions and decisions of elected governments."

But, you know, it's the pedophiles...
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The repeal of Disney's tax/government status in FL hasn't passed yet but all reports are that it is going to. Leaving aside the chaos that will undoubtedly ensue as unprepared counties are suddenly required to provide all kinds of municipal services, this is still a head-scratcher. It will immediately result in a significant tax increase for residents of the affected counties and will disincentivize further growth/investment by Disney in the area, including the possibility of layoffs of some of the 80,000 employees (!) who work for Disney. One might also wonder whether this will spark a stampede away from the Republican Party by big businesses, which crave stability above all and a laissez faire approach to business regulation a close second. At the 30,000 foot level, this completely redefines the meaning of "conservative" by pretty much undefining it.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Speaking of undefining conservatism, let's not forget the FL federal court decision ending mask mandates by the CDC. There's been a lot of stuff written about just what's wrong with this terrible decision so no reason to repeat it here. But every time a story leads with a description of the judge as a "Trump appointee," the legitimacy of the judiciary is further eroded and every time a "conservative" judge abandons conservative and even neutral principles of judging that erosion becomes more like a landslide.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

beantownbubba wrote:
    Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:19 am
    The repeal of Disney's tax/government status in FL hasn't passed yet but all reports are that it is going to. Leaving aside the chaos that will undoubtedly ensue as unprepared counties are suddenly required to provide all kinds of municipal services, this is still a head-scratcher. It will immediately result in a significant tax increase for residents of the affected counties and will disincentivize further growth/investment by Disney in the area, including the possibility of layoffs of some of the 80,000 employees (!) who work for Disney. One might also wonder whether this will spark a stampede away from the Republican Party by big businesses, which crave stability above all and a laissez faire approach to business regulation a close second. At the 30,000 foot level, this completely redefines the meaning of "conservative" by pretty much undefining it.
    Disney should just pack up and go. That would teach that dumb ass. They just banned some math books for teaching critical race theory. I am so lost now.
    and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Swamp wrote:
    Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:03 pm
      beantownbubba wrote:
      Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:19 am
      Disney should just pack up and go. That would teach that dumb ass. They just banned some math books for teaching critical race theory. I am so lost now.
      Your governor thinks you are all idiots. He's half right
      And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
      - DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Props to Justice Gorsuch. While voting to enforce laws w/ colonial/imperialist, racist, stereotype-based origins, he made a clear statement that those laws were colonialist/imperialist, racist, based on stereotypes and wrong. Perhaps those laws are seeing their final days. We can but hope.

As someone pointed out though, what is the panic-stricken anti-CRT mob to do w/ a statement by a Trump appointed, Federalist Society approved, super conservative Supreme Court Justice who acknowledged in writing in a formal Supreme Court concurring opinion that yes, there is such a thing as institutional racism?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:
      Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:34 pm
      What she said.

I had read excerpts from the speech but had not until now watched the whole thing. Impressive and dead on accurate. Too bad there were no reaction shots from the woman to whom she was responding.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
      Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:48 pm
      Props to Justice Gorsuch. While voting to enforce laws w/ colonial/imperialist, racist, stereotype-based origins, he made a clear statement that those laws were colonialist/imperialist, racist, based on stereotypes and wrong. Perhaps those laws are seeing their final days. We can but hope.

As someone pointed out though, what is the panic-stricken anti-CRT mob to do w/ a statement by a Trump appointed, Federalist Society approved, super conservative Supreme Court Justice who acknowledged in writing in a formal Supreme Court concurring opinion that yes, there is such a thing as institutional racism?
      For that matter, what do people like you and I and our folks make of it?
      The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Sh

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
      Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:24 pm
      beantownbubba wrote:
      Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:48 pm

For that matter, what do people like you and I and our folks make of it?
      I'm sure that real Supreme Court watchers will have much more nuanced and detailed views on this subject but from where I'm sitting, this looks like low hanging fruit for Gorsuch. First, the net bottom line decision went against "the other" so it was low risk for Gorsuch. Second, the so-called "Insular Cases" which relate to the treatment of territories that are part of the US but not States are a very discrete, limited, narrow area of law and politics applicable to relatively few people w/out many implications for the broader country/society. Third, the events at issue (i.e. when the relevant laws were passed and the original S Ct decisions were issued) occurred mostly around 1901, which is a long time ago. Fourth, the unfairness of the laws are obvious and their basis in racist assumptions and stereotypes is painfully obvious but in a way (like the second point above) that can be "sealed off" or limited, w/out much precedential value in cases of more general import. So why not sound like the good guy, the principled guy, the reasonable guy, the see I'm not a racist asshole guy? And if one wants to apply Gorsuch's opinion more broadly to issues of institutional racism and the whole CRT kerfuffle, he can say, whoa, all I'm talking about is a mistake made 120 years ago applicable only to a relatively few Puerto Ricans, Samoans and the like, just about all of whom aren't even descended from African slaves.

TDB

Post by TDB »

Can we simply ALL AGREE that Ron DeSantis is a royal douchebag? Come on, people. Let logic rule.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

TDB wrote:
      Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:25 am
      Can we simply ALL AGREE that Ron DeSantis is a royal douchebag? Come on, people. Let logic rule.
      I don't think you'll get much disagreement here about that but the real questions are why is he so popular? How does he retain the muscle to bully anything he wants through the lapdog state legislature?

Interesting (as in bizarre) story in today's WaPo about a school district in FL banning a book called Everywhere Babies, an apparently well known much loved picture book for young children celebrating, well, babies. As incredible and scary as this is especially when combined w/ the enthusiastic book banning occurring state wide in FL, it's not just DeSantis.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
      Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:02 am
      TDB wrote:
      I don't think you'll get much disagreement here about that but the real questions are why is he so popular? How does he retain the muscle to bully anything he wants through the lapdog state legislature?

Interesting (as in bizarre) story in today's WaPo about a school district in FL banning a book called Everywhere Babies, an apparently well known much loved picture book for young children celebrating, well, babies. As incredible and scary as this is especially when combined w/ the enthusiastic book banning occurring state wide in FL, it's not just DeSantis.
      He's not terribly popular. He only won the governor's race by 0.4%. He has maintained power through a gerrymandered districting of the state (which he's trying to make worse right now, and will hopefully get slapped down in court)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
      Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:46 pm
      beantownbubba wrote:
      TDB wrote:

He's not terribly popular. He only won the governor's race by 0.4%. He has maintained power through a gerrymandered districting of the state (which he's trying to make worse right now, and will hopefully get slapped down in court)
      CNN says otherwise. And experience says any politician can only get so far ahead of his/her electorate - DeSantis clearly believes he's on to something and nothing has happened in the past year or 2 to say otherwise.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/21/politics ... index.html

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
      Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:29 pm
      Zip City wrote:
      Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:46 pm
      beantownbubba wrote:

CNN says otherwise. And experience says any politician can only get so far ahead of his/her electorate - DeSantis clearly believes he's on to something and nothing has happened in the past year or 2 to say otherwise.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/21/politics ... index.html
      Except his "fellow Republicans" don't vote him into office, the citizens do. The proof will be in the next election.

His new electoral map is so patently ridiculous that it should be laughed out of the courts, but these days, I'm not so sure

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I don't know much and I don't know the details of the proposed deal or Elon Musk's plans for twitter but I do know combining the wealthiest person in the world and one of the biggest and most powerful social media platforms in the world is a very, very bad idea.

It gives new, scary meaning to the old observation that freedom of the press means freedom for those who own the presses.

scotto

Post by scotto »

beantownbubba wrote:
      Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:24 pm
      I don't know much and I don't know the details of the proposed deal or Elon Musk's plans for twitter but I do know combining the wealthiest person in the world and one of the biggest and most powerful social media platforms in the world is a very, very bad idea.

It gives new, scary meaning to the old observation that freedom of the press means freedom for those who own the presses.
      Especially when said "wealthiest person in the world" supports unfettered communication and banning controls of any kind; c.f., yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, etc.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

There's a classic issue of local politics roiling my neighborhood involving re-designing some intersections and generally changing the traffic pattern. It will also involve some limited green space and improvements for cyclists and the disabled which is how the project is being billed. Many in the neighborhood including me are concerned about safety issues resulting from the proposed change of one traffic signal to a rotary and, especially, the removal of another signal at a well established dangerous intersection.

The state is paying for the project and they won't pay for a portion of the project if the traffic signal at the dangerous intersection remains, as much of the neighborhood wants. The state says that the amount of traffic volume doesn't qualify for a light. So what we have here is a classic example of elites, i.e. state bureaucrats, coming and dictating to a community based on theoretical standards that show no knowledge of the actual community, the actual traffic or the way people actually drive. And even though Boston is a lot closer to us than DC is to so many who complain about interference from the federal government it feels frustrating and awful. My general view of these things is that the locals are sometimes right and sometimes not (though the feeling is legit either way) so I don't think there's any great philosophic insight to be gained here. But I will say that as much as I dislike what's happening here and as much as I legitimately fear the safety issues that I am sure will arise if the state's plan goes through as is, it's not a bad thing to have a first hand experience of something usually experienced by "other people" and often reported on skeptically by the media.

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:
      Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:16 am
      There's a classic issue of local politics roiling my neighborhood involving re-designing some intersections and generally changing the traffic pattern. It will also involve some limited green space and improvements for cyclists and the disabled which is how the project is being billed. Many in the neighborhood including me are concerned about safety issues resulting from the proposed change of one traffic signal to a rotary and, especially, the removal of another signal at a well established dangerous intersection.

The state is paying for the project and they won't pay for a portion of the project if the traffic signal at the dangerous intersection remains, as much of the neighborhood wants. The state says that the amount of traffic volume doesn't qualify for a light. So what we have here is a classic example of elites, i.e. state bureaucrats, coming and dictating to a community based on theoretical standards that show no knowledge of the actual community, the actual traffic or the way people actually drive. And even though Boston is a lot closer to us than DC is to so many who complain about interference from the federal government it feels frustrating and awful. My general view of these things is that the locals are sometimes right and sometimes not (though the feeling is legit either way) so I don't think there's any great philosophic insight to be gained here. But I will say that as much as I dislike what's happening here and as much as I legitimately fear the safety issues that I am sure will arise if the state's plan goes through as is, it's not a bad thing to have a first hand experience of something usually experienced by "other people" and often reported on skeptically by the media.
      How long till one of these is flying from the bubba compound?
      - DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
      Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:16 am

This sort of thing goes on constantly here. They are trying to do away with cars. Oh, except the transit system sucks donkey appendages.

cortez the killer

chuckrh wrote:
      Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:23 pm
      donkey appendages.
      Great band name for the next Pollard side project.
      - DPM

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

This situation sounds like a recipe for the most cursed creation on God's green earth: the roundabout.
      Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
      Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brettac1 wrote:
      Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:12 pm
      This situation sounds like a recipe for the most cursed creation on God's green earth: the roundabout.
      Bingo. A roundabout is part of the plan at one end of the project (and is another problematic aspect of the entire scheme) but even if it made sense for the disputed location, a roundabout literally won't fit there.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

brettac1 wrote:
      Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:12 pm
      Roundabouts have solved several awful intersections near me. I don’t hate them.

scotto

Post by scotto »

I like roundabouts. They ease the stop-start of traffic and reduce congestion. The problem with them has more to do with folks who either don't know how they work or suffer from me-first aggressive driving.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

scotto wrote:
      Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:42 pm
      I like roundabouts. They ease the stop-start of traffic and reduce congestion. The problem with them has more to do with folks who either don't know how they work or suffer from me-first aggressive driving.
      or the timid "oh what should I do?" drivers. grrrrr!

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

It's only appropriate the last great Stones single will be "Doom and Gloom":

Bonkers
      Rep. Scott Perry (R-PA), yet another far-right House member, now the head of the Freedom Caucus. In the days after Biden was declared the winner of the 2020 election he was texting Mark Meadows insisting that Meadows get DNI John Ratcliffe (another House right-winger who Trump had installed as chief of US intelligence based on essentially no professional background) to have the NSA “immediately seize and begin looking for international comms related to Dominion.” Basically he was pushing the idea that China had hacked Dominion’s voting machines to make Biden the winner.

In other words, this is pure Giuliani/Sidney Powell Kracken nonsense. But here it’s a member of Congress advising the White House Chief of Staff. He was also convinced that it was “the Brits who helped quarterback this entire operation” and that then-CIA Director Gina Haspell was covering up for them. He insisted the Italians were also in on it.

You get the idea. Pretty insane stuff.
      That's about half. The punchline is in the ending. It's worth your time unless you're easily depressed.
      The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Jonicont
      Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

scotto wrote:
      Yep
      Always go to the show

phungi

Post by phungi »

scotto wrote:
      they are all over Colorado, and seem to work just fine... there used to be a bunch in S. Jersey, but other than one in Hilton Head Island, and perhaps one in Flemington NJ I do not recall even seeing one on the east coast over the past 10-15 years... makes perfect sense, given NE'erners are generally damn stupid and selfish!
      We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

cortez the killer

phungi wrote:
      Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:47 am
      scotto wrote:
      they are all over Colorado, and seem to work just fine... there used to be a bunch in S. Jersey, but other than one in Hilton Head Island, and perhaps one in Flemington NJ I do not recall even seeing one on the east coast over the past 10-15 years... makes perfect sense, given NE'erners are generally damn stupid and selfish!
      I take it you haven't done much driving in Massachusetts.
      - DPM