Guided by Voices/Robert Pollard

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

3milelake

Re: Guided by Voices/Robert Pollard

Post by 3milelake »

Incredible band. Great thread! I've been appreciating it for a long time now. Artists aren't supposed to have this quality & quantity of output at this stage of a career. French word nonpariel (having no equal): IS Bob.

I recently finished "Closer You Are: The Story of Robert Pollard and Guided by Voices" 2018
Incredibly, there is a quote in the book that is the latest album title, circa 2003!

“Refreshed, Bob wasted no time in developing and recording the next Guided By Voices album, from its inception as Model Prisoners Of The 5 Sense Realm through Live Like Kings Forever to its final form as Earthquake Glue. So rapid was the follow-up to Universal Truths, Bob joked at the time about a promotional campaign to exclaim: “It’s not them, it can’t be them—it IS them!”

Excerpt From: Matthew Cutter. “Closer You Are.” Apple Books.

So looking forward to my first live experience Dec. 17.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

3milelake wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:44 pm
Incredible band. Great thread! I've been appreciating it for a long time now. Artists aren't supposed to have this quality & quantity of output at this stage of a career. French word nonpariel (having no equal): IS Bob.

I recently finished "Closer You Are: The Story of Robert Pollard and Guided by Voices" 2018
Incredibly, there is a quote in the book that is the latest album title, circa 2003!

“Refreshed, Bob wasted no time in developing and recording the next Guided By Voices album, from its inception as Model Prisoners Of The 5 Sense Realm through Live Like Kings Forever to its final form as Earthquake Glue. So rapid was the follow-up to Universal Truths, Bob joked at the time about a promotional campaign to exclaim: “It’s not them, it can’t be them—it IS them!”

It's the beginning of a great musical adventure. Enjoy your show! My first show was around Alien Lanes @ the Redding Festival & have seen them many times. It's been quite a ride. At some point, the frat boys got involved with the shows. The music is still fantastic but sometimes the crowds are irritating. I'm old though & have little patience for that haha. I've got tickets to see them again in March or April.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

3milelake wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:44 pm

Nice!

Matthew Cutter is a frequent poster over on the GBV message board. I've yet to read his book, but I gotta change that. Good item to ask Santa for.

That's awesome that you will see them in a few weeks. I look forward to hearing about your live GBV experience. This current lineup is outstanding.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

cortez the killer

3/4/22

Eye City
Re-Develop
Climbing A Ramp
Never Mind The List
Birds In The Pipe
Come North Together
Forced To Sea
Huddled
Excited Ones
Eyes Of Your Doctor
Mad River Man
Crystal Nuns Cathedral

- DPM

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

that's a great cover.

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Unstoppable

tinnitus photography

gbv boston show postponed again.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Saw this on twitter and thought of this thread (and a few others) :lol:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

cortez the killer

Sick TikTok meme burn, bruh!
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

tinnitus photography

Clams wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:12 pm

are BtS and Pavement really considered a drinking crowd's band?

cortez the killer

tinnitus photography wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:55 pm
Clams wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:12 pm

are BtS and Pavement really considered a drinking crowd's band?
They are amongst the crowd that jam two brass screws up their nose.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Great interview.
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

cortez the killer

Crystal Nuns Cathedral (2022)

It’s simply logic-defying at this point. The sheer volume of output accompanied by zero dilution of quality is, to my knowledge, unprecedented. This lineup (and jack-of-all-trades, producer/engineer, Travis Harrison) is special and have dutifully churned out a dozen high-quality albums in just over five years. If the past is any indicator of the future, we will see another pair before 2022 is in the books. It’s all there on the first release of the year – clever album title, beautiful cover, excellent production and top-notch songs. After a month of listening, I’m ready to call this record my favorite of the current version of GBV and one of Pollard’s finest albums ever. It’s that good. But enough of my fanboy gushing. I’ll turn it over to Rockathon Records’ own, Kevin Poindexter, who penned the official press release for Crystal Nuns Cathedral.
The mighty Guided by Voices are set to unleash upon the world their 35th and quite possibly…BEST album, Crystal Nuns Cathedral. How do they do it you might ask? Well we have no idea how they do it, but we certainly do know WHY they do it. They do it because quite honestly we NEED them to do it. The world needs The Rock, and we need loud guitars, we need anthemic songs, we need a reason to raise a rock fist in the air and give a “Hell Yeah”! On Crystal Nuns Cathedral, the band delivers all of this and so much more.

Just four months since It’s Not Them. It Couldn’t Be Them. It Is Them!, comes Crystal Nuns Cathedral, twelve songs determined to challenge for the title of greatest Guided by Voices album of all-time. Hyperbole you say? Not this time. The guitars are bigger, the arrangements are more ambitious, the songs are uplifting, epic, and as incredibly hook laden as always!

Pure power pop perfection like lead single “Excited Ones” mix perfectly with the slow burning “Climbing a Ramp” which reaches its climax on a stunning guitar lead before dissolving into the fist pumping anthem “Never Mind the List”, which serves as the beating heart of the entire album. Do you still need convincing? Listen to the one-two punch of “Forced to Sea” and “Huddled” and marvel at the epic scope and vision of an incredible band on full display.

This record is a statement, a challenge, a monument, a call to arms. Top this one if you can, this is the new benchmark. Who will best it? Who will try? Listen to Crystal Nuns Cathedral, and report back to us. We will be eagerly waiting
1. Eye City – The tone setter is this menacing, snarling track that is one of the few GBV songs to crack the four-minute mark. Starts off on a slow boil and kicks into gear at the 1:18 mark. Kevin March providing some thunderous percussion. Doug Gillard arranging a cello (!!) part into the mix. “Perhaps they know not to come back to Eye City.” (9)
2. Re-Develop – Lurching, pounding track that immediately brings to mind one of Pollard’s chief influences – The Who. Ironically enough, Bob calls this his ‘Yes song’. To my ears, this is a second cousin to the fantastic ‘Psychic Pilot Clocks Out” off the excellent 1996 Pollard solo debut, Not in My Airforce. “Re-Develop – out from nexus to plexus – the next phase to come…” (10)
3. Climbing a Ramp – Tension established right out of the gate (courtesy of March’s frantic hi-hat beat and Gillard-arranged staccato cellos) on this jittery, epic track that possesses a strong cinematic quality. The 1:49 mark when Gillard’s guitar comes in is my favorite moment on the album. I wish it went on for another three-plus minutes. Unlike anything GBV has ever done before. Lyrics read like Bob’s Myth of Sisyphus. “And it can’t get over because it’s always climbing a ramp.” (10)
4. Never Mind the List – The second single in advance of the album release returns to the more familiar power pop territory Pollard has successfully mined for several decades. Effortless and catchy, this will get fists pumping at GBV shows across the country. “Make a fist when you pray…” (8)
5. Birds in the Pipe* Inside scoop alert! * The song is loosely based on Benjamin Franklin who, according to Pollard was "someone ridiculed at one time and then greatly respected in the end." The lyric "when airing out his farcical pipe organ" refers to the Benjamin Franklin air bath. “Cuz he’s got birds in the pipe.” (7.5)
6. Come North Together – Side one closes with an absolute heavyweight of a track, bursting with energy. Or, as the kids today say, a banger. Fist-pumping, ass-shaking, head-bobbing and pogo-sticking all encouraged. This must slay live. The “hit” of the record. “Rising like birds of a feather, all together.” (10)
7. Forced to Sea – Side two kicks off with a proggy, slow burner that would’ve fit perfectly on 2020’s Surrender Your Poppy Field. Major “Cat Beats a Drum” vibes on this one. Gillard notes, “I recorded a couple guitars to simulate horns from a distant barge for the intro.” His brilliance continues to elevate this version of GBV to new heights. “Chasing the seahorse around…” (8)
8. Huddled – Previous track fades directly into this one. If not for the track listing, one might never realize they are two distinct songs. More cinematic vibes on this Tommy-flavored song. Bob gets political and takes some jabs at the Trump administration. “"He's getting warmed with every word he speaks, and inundated with his hair dye streaks." (8)
9. Excited Ones – The lead single from the album is another straightforward slice of power pop, packed with hooks. Can see this being a live staple for years to come. “Excited ones, they crush it every day…” (8)
10. Eyes of Your Doctor – Another fist-pumping anthem to add the ever-growing heap. Plenty of guitar theatrics courtesy of Gillard and that rhythm duo of March and bassist Mark Shue propel this one along perfectly. "All is riding on the bets you make." (9)
11. Mad River Man – The quintessential song of Crystal Nuns Cathedral. Seamlessly transitions back and forth between brooding, ominous and anthemic, fist-pumper. In other words, this is a psych/prog/power pop masterpiece. Shades of Sabbath. “And it’s a long, long, long day coming down…” (8.5)
12. Crystal Nuns Cathedral – Classic, sub-two-minute, GBV power pop chugger to close things out. More Gillard guitar wizardry in the outro. “Look beyond his cage and see him out.” (7)
- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

cortez the killer wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:46 pm

It’s simply logic-defying at this point. The sheer volume of output accompanied by zero dilution of quality is, to my knowledge, unprecedented. This lineup (and jack-of-all-trades, producer/engineer, Travis Harrison) is special and have dutifully churned out a dozen high-quality albums in just over five years. If the past is any indicator of the future, we will see another pair before 2022 is in the books. It’s all there on the first release of the year – clever album title, beautiful cover, excellent production and top-notch songs. After a month of listening, I’m ready to call this record my favorite of the current version of GBV and one of Pollard’s finest albums ever. It’s that good. But enough of my fanboy gushing. I’ll turn it over to Rockathon Records’ own, Kevin Poindexter, who penned the official press release for Crystal Nuns Cathedral.
The mighty Guided by Voices are set to unleash upon the world their 35th and quite possibly…BEST album, Crystal Nuns Cathedral. How do they do it you might ask? Well we have no idea how they do it, but we certainly do know WHY they do it. They do it because quite honestly we NEED them to do it. The world needs The Rock, and we need loud guitars, we need anthemic songs, we need a reason to raise a rock fist in the air and give a “Hell Yeah”! On Crystal Nuns Cathedral, the band delivers all of this and so much more.

Just four months since It’s Not Them. It Couldn’t Be Them. It Is Them!, comes Crystal Nuns Cathedral, twelve songs determined to challenge for the title of greatest Guided by Voices album of all-time. Hyperbole you say? Not this time. The guitars are bigger, the arrangements are more ambitious, the songs are uplifting, epic, and as incredibly hook laden as always!

Pure power pop perfection like lead single “Excited Ones” mix perfectly with the slow burning “Climbing a Ramp” which reaches its climax on a stunning guitar lead before dissolving into the fist pumping anthem “Never Mind the List”, which serves as the beating heart of the entire album. Do you still need convincing? Listen to the one-two punch of “Forced to Sea” and “Huddled” and marvel at the epic scope and vision of an incredible band on full display.

This record is a statement, a challenge, a monument, a call to arms. Top this one if you can, this is the new benchmark. Who will best it? Who will try? Listen to Crystal Nuns Cathedral, and report back to us. We will be eagerly waiting
1. Eye City – The tone setter is this menacing, snarling track that is one of the few GBV songs to crack the four-minute mark. Starts off on a slow boil and kicks into gear at the 1:18 mark. Kevin March providing some thunderous percussion. Doug Gillard arranging a cello (!!) part into the mix. “Perhaps they know not to come back to Eye City.” (9)
2. Re-Develop – Lurching, pounding track that immediately brings to mind one of Pollard’s chief influences – The Who. Ironically enough, Bob calls this his ‘Yes song’. To my ears, this is a second cousin to the fantastic ‘Psychic Pilot Clocks Out” off the excellent 1996 Pollard solo debut, Not in My Airforce. “Re-Develop – out from nexus to plexus – the next phase to come…” (10)
3. Climbing a Ramp – Tension established right out of the gate (courtesy of March’s frantic hi-hat beat and Gillard-arranged staccato cellos) on this jittery, epic track that possesses a strong cinematic quality. The 1:49 mark when Gillard’s guitar comes in is my favorite moment on the album. I wish it went on for another three-plus minutes. Unlike anything GBV has ever done before. Lyrics read like Bob’s Myth of Sisyphus. “And it can’t get over because it’s always climbing a ramp.” (10)
4. Never Mind the List – The second single in advance of the album release returns to the more familiar power pop territory Pollard has successfully mined for several decades. Effortless and catchy, this will get fists pumping at GBV shows across the country. “Make a fist when you pray…” (8)
5. Birds in the Pipe* Inside scoop alert! * The song is loosely based on Benjamin Franklin who, according to Pollard was "someone ridiculed at one time and then greatly respected in the end." The lyric "when airing out his farcical pipe organ" refers to the Benjamin Franklin air bath. “Cuz he’s got birds in the pipe.” (7.5)
6. Come North Together – Side one closes with an absolute heavyweight of a track, bursting with energy. Or, as the kids today say, a banger. Fist-pumping, ass-shaking, head-bobbing and pogo-sticking all encouraged. This must slay live. The “hit” of the record. “Rising like birds of a feather, all together.” (10)
7. Forced to Sea – Side two kicks off with a proggy, slow burner that would’ve fit perfectly on 2020’s Surrender Your Poppy Field. Major “Cat Beats a Drum” vibes on this one. Gillard notes, “I recorded a couple guitars to simulate horns from a distant barge for the intro.” His brilliance continues to elevate this version of GBV to new heights. “Chasing the seahorse around…” (8)
8. Huddled – Previous track fades directly into this one. If not for the track listing, one might never realize they are two distinct songs. More cinematic vibes on this Tommy-flavored song. Bob gets political and takes some jabs at the Trump administration. “"He's getting warmed with every word he speaks, and inundated with his hair dye streaks." (8)
9. Excited Ones – The lead single from the album is another straightforward slice of power pop, packed with hooks. Can see this being a live staple for years to come. “Excited ones, they crush it every day…” (8)
10. Eyes of Your Doctor – Another fist-pumping anthem to add the ever-growing heap. Plenty of guitar theatrics courtesy of Gillard and that rhythm duo of March and bassist Mark Shue propel this one along perfectly. "All is riding on the bets you make." (9)
11. Mad River Man – The quintessential song of Crystal Nuns Cathedral. Seamlessly transitions back and forth between brooding, ominous and anthemic, fist-pumper. In other words, this is a psych/prog/power pop masterpiece. Shades of Sabbath. “And it’s a long, long, long day coming down…” (8.5)
12. Crystal Nuns Cathedral – Classic, sub-two-minute, GBV power pop chugger to close things out. More Gillard guitar wizardry in the outro. “Look beyond his cage and see him out.” (7)
I've got tickets for Saturday & hope I can go. The doctors have got me into withdrawals from the current pain meds, not pleasant. Then in 3 days I start getting addicted to new pain meds that hopefully will work better. Since I got the process started yesterday hopefully I'll be ok for the show Saturday. It's a brutal week though.

cortez the killer

Fingers crossed, Chuck.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Ranking the current lineup's albums

Crystal Nuns Cathedral
Space Gun
Styles We Paid For
Sweating the Plague
It's Not Them. It Couldn't Be Them. It Is Them!
Earth Man Blues
How Do You Spell Heaven
August By Cake
Zeppelin Over China
Mirrored Aztec
Surrender Your Poppy Field
Warp and Woof
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

tinnitus photography

cortez the killer wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:19 pm

'The sheer volume of output accompanied by zero dilution of quality is, to my knowledge, unprecedented.'

Crystal Nuns Cathedral
Space Gun
Styles We Paid For
Sweating the Plague
Earth Man Blues
How Do You Spell Heaven
August By Cake
Zeppelin Over China
Mirrored Aztec
Warp and Woof

i can't keep up so my list is pretty spotty and incomplete but i would definitely say our definition of 'dilution' might be a bit different.

top:
HDYSH
EMB
SYPF
StP

middle:
It's Not Them
ABC

ehhhh:
Warp and Woof
Mirrored Aztec
ZOC

need to spend more time w/ the new one, Styles and Space Gun as i barely recall anything about them.

my review from the recent show:
https://digboston.com/fotobom-guided-by ... he-royale/

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:16 pm
cortez the killer wrote:

'The sheer volume of output accompanied by zero dilution of quality is, to my knowledge, unprecedented.'

Crystal Nuns Cathedral
Space Gun
Styles We Paid For
Sweating the Plague
Earth Man Blues
How Do You Spell Heaven
August By Cake
Zeppelin Over China
Mirrored Aztec
Warp and Woof

i can't keep up so my list is pretty spotty and incomplete but i would definitely say our definition of 'dilution' might be a bit different.

top:
HDYSH
EMB
SYPF
StP

middle:
It's Not Them
ABC

ehhhh:
Warp and Woof
Mirrored Aztec
ZOC

need to spend more time w/ the new one, Styles and Space Gun as i barely recall anything about them.

Robert puts out so much stuff that it's near impossible to keep up with or remember which songs are on which albums. At least for me. I quit trying & just ride the wave.

cortez the killer

chuckrh wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:54 am
Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:16 pm
cortez the killer wrote:

Crystal Nuns Cathedral
Space Gun
Styles We Paid For
Sweating the Plague
Earth Man Blues
How Do You Spell Heaven
August By Cake
Zeppelin Over China
Mirrored Aztec
Warp and Woof

top:
HDYSH
EMB
SYPF
StP

middle:
It's Not Them
ABC

ehhhh:
Warp and Woof
Mirrored Aztec
ZOC

Robert puts out so much stuff that it's near impossible to keep up with or remember which songs are on which albums. At least for me. I quit trying & just ride the wave.
- DPM

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

cortez the killer wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:46 pm

Nice review there! Love the release...I've only got about 6 full listens, next time I'll use this as a backdrop...as you mention above, the output is crazy, unprecedented...I really don't know how they pull it off time & again, but they do.

cortez the killer

3milelake wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:46 pm
Nice review there! Love the release...I've only got about 6 full listens, next time I'll use this as a backdrop...as you mention above, the output is crazy, unprecedented...I really don't know how they pull it off time & again, but they do.
Thanks, 3mike!

Did the band reschedule the Toronto show? If so, did you go, or still planning on going?

I finally got around to ordering Closer You Are. Still haven't started reading it yet, but I will someday soon.
- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

The setlist for a week ago in Minneapolis. Good Lord! It's going to be a game time call for me tonight. I'm pretty far from 100% but if I can pull it off I will. Need more sleep beforehand for sure. Only 57 songs!
Rally Boys
Haircut Sphinx
The Disconnected Citizen
Spanish Coin
A Salty Salute
Never Mind the List
Man Called Blunder
Dance of Gurus
Mad River Man
Not Behind the Fighter Jet
Re-Develop
Everybody Thinks I'm a Raincloud (When I'm Not Looking)
Climbing A Ramp
Unfun Glitz
Cut-Out Witch
Excited Ones
Volcano
The Batman Sees the Ball
Tractor Rape Chain
People Need Holes
The Very Second
King 007
Motor Away
Eyes of Your Doctor
Crash at Lake Placebo
Back to the Lake
The Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory
Moses on a Snail
(Robert Pollard song)
Never Abandon Ship
Mr Child
Chasing Heather Crazy
I Am a Tree
Stops
To Keep an Area
Free Agents
Shocker in Gloomtown
The Best of Jill Hives
Jane of the Waking Universe
Time Without Looking
Smothered in Hugs
Twilight Campfighter
Crystal Nuns Cathedral
Non-Absorbing
Love Is Stronger Than Witchcraft
(Robert Pollard song)
Game of Pricks
I Am a Scientist
Your Name Is Wild
Encore:
My (Limited) Engagement
Yours to Keep
Echos Myron
Amusement Park Is Over
Closer You Are
Hot Freaks
Matter Eater Lad
My Kind of Soldier
Teenage FBI
Glad Girls

cortez the killer

chuckrh wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:36 am
I've got tickets for Saturday & hope I can go.
- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

The band was excellent last night. A bit on the short side for them (only 2.5 hours haha). A healthy amount of newer stuff & a nice spread of the oldies. There were a few key songs missing like "Don't Stop Now" & "Game of Pricks" but I was satisfied with the show. I've seen them better but this show was still pretty damn good. My friend liked it & she was totally new to the band. A few more friends were there who had never seen them & they both enjoyed the show. Converts! Now time to pay the piper. Today will be the Saudi Grand Prix & NCAA tournament. Not quite a NFL Sunday but enough for recovery purposes. Next up: Spiritualized on April 7. Excited for that one! I find my music mojo is quite satisfied by smaller shows like these. The only 2 "big" shows I have tickets for are Roger Waters & Red Hot Chili Peppers. Everything else is in the theater/club realm. I can get 2 tickets for GBV for less than the cost of 1 in the upper deck for Motley Crue/Def Leppard. I wouldn't mind seeing Motley (wish they had a delete button for Vince Neil) but $125 to sit in the rafters just isn't happening. We won't even bother talking about how much the lower levels cost. The joys of being on a fixed income: having to think about this stuff.

PS: nice poster but they were $40. The t-shirts were reasonable though. I not cheap, I'm frugal! :D

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:35 pm
3milelake wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:46 pm
Thanks, 3mike!

Did the band reschedule the Toronto show? If so, did you go, or still planning on going?

I finally got around to ordering Closer You Are. Still haven't started reading it yet, but I will someday soon.
That’s a good read, I’m sure you’ll really enjoy it, and no doubt revisit a ton of songs for reference as I did. No make up date for Toronto unfortunately. Straight refund.

cortez the killer

chuckrh wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:37 am
The band was excellent last night. A bit on the short side for them (only 2.5 hours haha). A healthy amount of newer stuff & a nice spread of the oldies. There were a few key songs missing like "Don't Stop Now" & "Game of Pricks" but I was satisfied with the show. I've seen them better but this show was still pretty damn good. My friend liked it & she was totally new to the band. A few more friends were there who had never seen them & they both enjoyed the show. Converts! Now time to pay the piper. Today will be the Saudi Grand Prix & NCAA tournament. Not quite a NFL Sunday but enough for recovery purposes. Next up: Spiritualized on April 7. Excited for that one! I find my music mojo is quite satisfied by smaller shows like these. The only 2 "big" shows I have tickets for are Roger Waters & Red Hot Chili Peppers. Everything else is in the theater/club realm. I can get 2 tickets for GBV for less than the cost of 1 in the upper deck for Motley Crue/Def Leppard. I wouldn't mind seeing Motley (wish they had a delete button for Vince Neil) but $125 to sit in the rafters just isn't happening. We won't even bother talking about how much the lower levels cost. The joys of being on a fixed income: having to think about this stuff.

PS: nice poster but they were $40. The t-shirts were reasonable though. I not cheap, I'm frugal! :D
- DPM