The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Beaverdam

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by Beaverdam »

I just read that Marjorie Taylor Greene is…wait for it…a UGA alum!

I wonder if she’ll ever come back to visit her alma mater for DBT Homecoming????

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beaverdam wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:17 pm

I wonder if she’ll ever come back to visit her alma mater for DBT Homecoming????
I hope so. I'd skip any opener other than maybe the Dexateens or even the auction to see her up close and personal. I'd be sure to wear my yellow star.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:26 pm
Beaverdam wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:17 pm

I hope so. I'd skip any opener other than maybe the Dexateens or even the auction to see her up close and personal. I'd be sure to wear my yellow star.
Good one bubba! ;)

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:26 pm
to be honest, i think these are lousy examples:
Those are lousy examples in explaining your behavior, because those are not authorities you respected and trusted, rightly or wrongly. They are not lousy examples in explaining the behavior of people who did respect and trust them. Whether one was right to do so is irrelevant; it's the betrayal that counts.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:17 am
Those are lousy examples in explaining your behavior, because those are not authorities you respected and trusted, rightly or wrongly. They are not lousy examples in explaining the behavior of people who did respect and trust them. Whether one was right to do so is irrelevant; it's the betrayal that counts.
i think our disconnect is between what constitutes 'experts' and not the betrayal part.

John A Arkansawyer

Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:13 pm
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:17 am
i think our disconnect is between what constitutes 'experts' and not the betrayal part.
I think our disconnect is whether other peoples' behavior is primarily influenced by their beliefs or your beliefs.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

tinnitus photography

how do experts fit into that?

edit - i would think that people's behaviors are universally governed by their own beliefs.

John A Arkansawyer

Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:05 pm
how do experts fit into that?
If a person accepts a class of people as authorities, as experts worthy of being listened to, and then that class of people betrays them cruelly, whether their authority was earned, their expertise worthy, means very little next to the pain of betrayal. I believe that Catholic priests as a class have a higher than average level of expertise in helping adults understand and endure their daily lives and no particular authority to tell anyone about metaphysics, neither of which mean anything next to the exceptionally horrible things done to children in their care, which shock even me in their scale and scope.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Why are the Democrats floundering so badly at the moment? Some thoughts, INPO except the first one:

1. The Dems do not trust the people they claim to represent. Why else do they shy away from explaining in plain English about the debt ceiling, the threat to not fund the government and the details of their plans including their actual cost and how they will be paid for?

2. McConnell is smarter than Schumer, at least in the ways that matter.

3. McConnell is craftier than Pelosi, at least in the ways that matter.

4. After all this time and countless examples, Schumer and Pelosi still do not understand McConnell and in particular do not understand that he is a conscienceless devotee of Machiavelli. Because they do not seem to grasp his essential nature, they are always starting from a hole.

5. Manchin and Sinema are merely garden variety lightweight crooked politicians swimming in an ocean of stunningly corrupt heavyweights who eat lightweights for breakfast. They are Mussolinis in a world of Roosevelts, Churchills, Stalins and Hitlers. They both also understand just enough to be dangerous, which is to say, they know that they have "leverage" but they don't know what that means or how best to use it. Of course, it is hard to use leverage when your goals are simply to line your own pockets and those of your contributors.

6. For reasons that escape me, Pelosi and Schumer seem to be scared of Manchin and Sinema. it seems clear to me that a person holding leverage gets something for that leverage but the person holding power tells the leverage holder what they're going to get and why they're going to like it. By contrast, the current soap opera is pathetic. Biden seems to have a smidgen of a clue ("tell me what you actually really want and let's see what we can do") but he has apparently decided to leave the heavy lifting to the Schumer/Pelosi wing.

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:07 pm
5. Manchin and Sinema are merely garden variety lightweight crooked politicians swimming in an ocean of stunningly corrupt heavyweights who eat lightweights for breakfast. They are Mussolinis in a world of Roosevelts, Churchills, Stalins and Hitlers. They both also understand just enough to be dangerous, which is to say, they know that they have "leverage" but they don't know what that means or how best to use it. Of course, it is hard to use leverage when your goals are simply to line your own pockets and those of your contributors.
I think that explains Sinema, who is bucking for leadership of the Independent Party, but not Manchin. He could make out like a bandit by switching to the Republicans and he doesn't. I'm really curious what goes on inside his head.

tinnitus photography

good breakdown in the NYT
Unpopulism
Congressional Democrats have been conducting an unusual kind of negotiation over the central piece of President Biden’s agenda. As they try to write a bill that can pass both the House and the Senate, they are talking about removing some of the plan’s most popular provisions.

An overwhelming majority of Americans favor government action to reduce drug prices, but that policy may not be included in the final bill. Tax increases on the wealthy are also very popular, but it is unclear how many of them will make it, either. The same goes for a proposed expansion of Medicare to include dental, hearing and vision coverage.

It is even possible that the entire bill — which would expand pre-K, community college, Medicare, Medicaid, paid family leave, child tax credits, clean-energy programs and more, while significantly increasing taxes on people making more than $400,000 — will fail. Yet polls have consistently showed it to be popular, more so than some past Democratic priorities, like Bill Clinton’s or Barack Obama’s health care bills. And if this bill fails, Democrats are likely to enter next year’s midterm congressional elections looking divided and unable to govern.

It’s still too early to be sure about any of this. Democratic leaders may find a way to keep their party unified enough to pass a major bill, despite their narrow control of Congress. If that happens, the squabbling of recent weeks may not matter much.

But the Democratic tensions are real. This morning, we’ll explain the two big reasons that the party is struggling to pass a bill that most voters favor.

The power of lobbying
The first reason is classic interest-group politics: Well-financed, well-organized lobbying groups strongly oppose some of the bill’s major provisions.

Most Americans favor lower drug prices, but there is no powerful grass-roots group devoted to the issue. And there is a major lobbying group on the other side — PhRMA, which represents the drug industry. It has helped persuade a few Democrats to oppose a reduction in drug prices, as our colleague Margot Sanger-Katz has explained.

Another example of interest-group politics are the tax increases on the wealthy and corporations. Tax rates on the affluent are near their lowest levels in decades. To keep them there, groups representing the interests of the wealthy have enlisted some of most effective lobbyists in Washington: former members of Congress.

These lobbyists — including Heidi Heitkamp, a former North Dakota senator, and Nick Rahall, a former West Virginia congressman — have been trying to persuade other Democrats to water down or remove the tax increases, as Jonathan Chait of New York magazine has noted. Fewer tax increases in the bill leave less money for health care, schools and clean energy, which in turn has led to contentious intraparty debates over which parts of the plan should be cut. So far, Democrats have not resolved those questions.

Why are these lobbying campaigns able to succeed even when they are trying to persuade elected officials to defy public opinion? The obvious reason — campaign donations — is no doubt part of the answer. But there is also a more subtle dynamic at work, which brings us to our second major explanation.

The real median voter
In elite circles, including Capitol Hill, people often misunderstand American public opinion in a specific way. They imagine that the median voter resembles a type of political moderate who is quite common in those elite circles — somebody who is socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

Michael Bloomberg is an archetype, as are some Republican mayors and governors in blue states. Many people in professional Washington, at think tanks and elsewhere, also fall into the category.

In the rest of the country, however, this ideological combination is not so common, polls show. If anything, more Americans can accurately be described as the opposite — socially conservative and economically liberal. That’s true across racial groups, including among Black and Hispanic voters.

Most Americans are religious, for example. Most favor restrictions on both abortion and immigration. Most oppose reductions in police funding. At the same time, most Americans favor higher taxes on the rich and a higher minimum wage, as well as government actions to reduce drug prices, expand health care and create good-paying jobs.

Many centrist Democrats are aware of this reality and cast themselves as culturally moderate populists. But they can also be influenced by the elite’s misunderstanding of popular opinion. That seems to be happening right now.

To prove their moderate bona fides, some Democrats are staking out positions that conflict with public opinion. Senator Joe Manchin has signaled that he opposes expanding Medicare, and Senator Kyrsten Sinema planned a fund-raiser this week with lobbyists who oppose higher tax rates.

These moves may not be entirely irrational. Most voters do not follow politicians’ every stance. Voters instead tend to form general impressions, like: Manchin seems less liberal than most Democrats.

Opposing even popular liberal ideas can bolster that image. But it does create an odd situation. The Democratic Party has an opportunity to pass a set of policies that are popular with their base, swing voters and even some Republicans. Instead, the party may fail to do so.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Former democratic congressmen turned lobbyists are the best people!

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/09 ... cca3803111

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mr. B wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:25 pm
Former democratic congressmen turned lobbyists are the best people!

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/09 ... cca3803111
This kind of thing is one big reason why lots of folks, including some/many/most who post here insist that there is no difference between Democrats and Republicans. And this kind of thing makes it hard to argue the point.

tinnitus photography

yep.

it'll never pass, but everyone in congress should be prohibited from any and all stock transactions and all investments should be in a blind trust. insane that this is not the case.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:01 pm
everyone in congress should be prohibited from any and all stock transactions and all investments should be in a blind trust.
And the president, the cabinet and other high executive branch officials too. And Supreme Ct justices.

John A Arkansawyer

Manchin has, more or less, come through. He's given a number, which means people can actually, you know, fucking negotiate. Now it's time for Sinema to shit or get off the pot.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The 14th Amendment to the Constitution says in part, "The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law ... shall not be questioned. "

Therefore, the argument goes, the very idea of the debt ceiling is unconstitutional. I love this argument and can't believe I've never heard it before. On this theory, Treasury Secretary Yellen can just say, presumably in reliance on an opinion from her legal department or the DOJ, that the Treasury will continue to pay the legally incurred debts of the USA as and when they come due and will borrow money as necessary in order to do so. Period. If you don't like it, Mitch, sue me and I'll see you in court some time down the road.

There aren't many ideas that are legally compelling, tactically perfect and emotionally satisfying. This is one and I sure wish I had thought of it. I don't know what the Administration is waiting for (though I do know that Obama rejected this approach during a similar debt contretemps during his presidency).

John A Arkansawyer

Here's a head-scratcher. Trump appointee Postmaster General Louis DeJoy just initiated one of the dream projects of the Democratic left:

USPS Begins Postal Banking Pilot Program

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:28 pm
Now it's time for Sinema to shit or get off the pot.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

John A Arkansawyer

I still remember the first time someone told me they'd feel weird without a mask on because someone might mistake them for a TrumpChump:

How the Smug Politics of COVID-19 Empowers the Far Right
A political binary touted by progressives has alienated huge numbers of people over the course of the pandemic.

I have been researching the far right and its connections to masculinity for four years, and the data indicate that although some people join the movement with deeply held racist and white-supremacist ideologies, that is not always the case. Many instead look to the far right primarily because of a sense of social alienation; they feel disconnected from family, social groups, and society more generally. The far right, in these cases, appeals not necessarily as a consequence of its ideology, but because it was the first group that listened. Ideology comes later...

...When you look at these responses from officials and progressive leaders, it is easier to understand how the far right was able to co-opt these protests. It was the only group willing to listen, empathize, and fight back. Many, if not most, of the people protesting were not “Nazis,” but the far right mirrored their anti-establishment rhetoric effectively. Writing about the authorities’ response to these protesters, Jay Daniel Thompson, a communications lecturer at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, argues, “It’s not difficult to imagine how such remarks might be framed as evidence by, say, anti-vaccine groups that governmental ‘elites’ are uncaring of—indeed, actively hostile toward—their constituents.”
This is about Australia, of course, but it's very familiar sounding.

ETA: Right on time, a friend just posted this image on antisocial media.
Last edited by John A Arkansawyer on Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:13 am
The 14th Amendment to the Constitution says in part, "The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law ... shall not be questioned. "

Therefore, the argument goes, the very idea of the debt ceiling is unconstitutional. I love this argument and can't believe I've never heard it before.
This is sweet and simple, easy to understand and hard to spin against. I love it, too. But it lacks the æsthetic appeal of the trillion-dollar platinum coin.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:22 am
But it lacks the æsthetic appeal of the trillion-dollar platinum coin.
True. Maybe we need the Franklin Mint to start offering Constitution coins. For a limited time only, of course.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:10 am
I still remember the first time someone told me they'd feel weird without a mask on because someone might mistake them for a TrumpChump:

How the Smug Politics of COVID-19 Empowers the Far Right
A political binary touted by progressives has alienated huge numbers of people over the course of the pandemic.

I have been researching the far right and its connections to masculinity for four years, and the data indicate that although some people join the movement with deeply held racist and white-supremacist ideologies, that is not always the case. Many instead look to the far right primarily because of a sense of social alienation; they feel disconnected from family, social groups, and society more generally. The far right, in these cases, appeals not necessarily as a consequence of its ideology, but because it was the first group that listened. Ideology comes later...

...When you look at these responses from officials and progressive leaders, it is easier to understand how the far right was able to co-opt these protests. It was the only group willing to listen, empathize, and fight back. Many, if not most, of the people protesting were not “Nazis,” but the far right mirrored their anti-establishment rhetoric effectively. Writing about the authorities’ response to these protesters, Jay Daniel Thompson, a communications lecturer at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, argues, “It’s not difficult to imagine how such remarks might be framed as evidence by, say, anti-vaccine groups that governmental ‘elites’ are uncaring of—indeed, actively hostile toward—their constituents.”
This is about Australia, of course, but it's very familiar sounding.

ETA: Right on time, a friend just posted this image on antisocial media.
Antivax as a symptom of alienation and other serious, deep seated ills I get. Antivax as a substantive subject worthy of serious consideration and attention? Not so much.

John A Arkansawyer

I'm going to go all Big Bill Burroughs on your ass and cut up your text:
beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:48 am
Alienation and other serious, deep seated ills as a substantive subject worthy of serious consideration and attention?
As Alice said, "Which way? Which way?"

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:46 am
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:22 am
But it lacks the æsthetic appeal of the trillion-dollar platinum coin.
True. Maybe we need the Franklin Mint to start offering Constitution coins. For a limited time only, of course.
I really think it should be a Ben Franklin trillion-dollar coin, in honor of the only president of the United States who was never president of the United States.

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

That quote is a beauty but I also appreciated this paragraph:

"The rank dishonesty and arrogance of Alito’s speech at Notre Dame are symptoms of the conservative majority’s unchecked power on the Court, and the entitlement that flows from having no one around you who can tell you what you sound like. It is not simply enough for the right-wing justices to have this power; Alito insists that the peasantry be silent about how they use it, and acquiesce not only to their delusions of impartiality but to their mischaracterization of verifiable facts. These are imperious demands for submission from someone who is meant to be a public servant."

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It seems to me that there is great value in celebrating Indigenous Peoples Day, i.e. recognizing the value and importance of their contributions to American life and recognizing the pain and horror of what was done to them during the long process of being conquered by descendants of white Europeans.

But I don't understand the erasure of Columbus Day, or more accurately, the embarrassment (as opposed to regret) about that conquering and the ways it occurred. It happened. We all benefited from it and the "discovery" of America was a pretty heroic and courageous thing. Why can't both those ideas coexist?

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:11 am
I don't understand the erasure of Columbus Day, or more accurately, the embarrassment (as opposed to regret) about that conquering and the ways it occurred. It happened. We all benefited from it and the "discovery" of America was a pretty heroic and courageous thing. Why can't both those ideas coexist?
Careful, Bubba. Those words can get you in big trouble these days. ;)
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:50 pm
Careful, Bubba. Those words can get you in big trouble these days.
Fer real. Actually the reason I ended up posting anything at all was because of how much I resented how careful I felt I had to be.