The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by Clams »

Cole Younger wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:22 pm

But it’s not like anybody here differentiates between Hannity and the regular news shows on Fox either.
I do. There's actually a huge difference bw Fox's news coverage, which is pretty even handed, and their evening talk shows, which obviously aren't. If you watch their news coverage, e.g., some of their Sunday morning shows, you'll see that it's really pretty objective.

Cole Younger wrote:
But I also think cable news and just the traditional media as a whole is breathing its dying breath. And to people in their thirties and younger it is dead and buried or totally irrelevant.
100% true.
If you don't run you rust

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

GW sure seems pretty cool. Always liked his wife. Think he was just out of his depth as president & served as front man for some decidedly not so cool folks. Good interview & his book looks interesting.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

chuckrh wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:07 pm
GW sure seems pretty cool. Always liked his wife. Think he was just out of his depth as president.

That's what I always thought of Carter.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Ohio GOP has authored a new voting bill that makes Georgia's look mild by comparison.

- Ohioans now need TWO forms of ID to vote by mail
- ALL ballot drop boxes have been banned
- Pre-paid postage on mail-in ballots has been banned, meaning people need to pay to vote

Hopefully Gov DeWine vetoes the everloving fuck out of this thing
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

LBRod wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:28 pm
chuckrh wrote:
GW sure seems pretty cool. Always liked his wife. Think he was just out of his depth as president.

That's what I always thought of Carter.
Then this is for sure worth a watch. Mr. Carter has some excellent taste in music.

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Cole Younger wrote:
Right. I knew there was a difference between opinion shows and hard news shows for lack of a better term. But it’s not like anybody here differentiates between Hannity and the regular news shows on Fox either.
check the amount of times Fox News has had to walk back a claim made on their news portion (not the blatherings of Tucker or Hannity) vs the others and you'll see a clear difference.
Cole Younger wrote:
For the record I think they all have an agenda.
no argument there
Cole Younger wrote:
But I also think cable news and just the traditional media as a whole is breathing its dying breath. And to people in their thirties and younger it is dead and buried or totally irrelevant.
where do you think people get their news from?

i'd say most of the times people have their minds made up and then whatever sails by on their phone screen to affirm that position becomes the news... but good journalism still lives and still can play an important part if people want to pay attention. (i remember grabbing an issue of The Economist in the Dallas airport last July, and when i opened to read it on the plane i discovered that the issue was actually from March.)

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:37 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Right. I knew there was a difference between opinion shows and hard news shows for lack of a better term. But it’s not like anybody here differentiates between Hannity and the regular news shows on Fox either.
check the amount of times Fox News has had to walk back a claim made on their news portion (not the blatherings of Tucker or Hannity) vs the others and you'll see a clear difference.
Cole Younger wrote:
For the record I think they all have an agenda.
no argument there
Cole Younger wrote:
where do you think people get their news from?

i'd say most of the times people have their minds made up and then whatever sails by on their phone screen to affirm that position becomes the news... but good journalism still lives and still can play an important part if people want to pay attention. (i remember grabbing an issue of The Economist in the Dallas airport last July, and when i opened to read it on the plane i discovered that the issue was actually from March.)
CNN loves the democrats as much as Fox loves the republicans.
Not that it makes much difference. From what I understand more people see Bigfoot than CNN since Orange Man lost.

I think people get their news from content creators on YouTube more and more.

Agree on your last point.

I should probably just let this pass but from what I hear BLM Portland shares my opinion of the white woke assholes who have been white knighting for them. They are telling them to go away because they are hurting their cause with their actions.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

chuckrh wrote:
GW sure seems pretty cool. Always liked his wife. Think he was just out of his depth as president & served as front man for some decidedly not so cool folks. Good interview & his book looks interesting.

George Bush is pretty cool now? This is why I never took the “Orange Man is evil. This is different. How can you not see this is different? We are done.” talk seriously. I’m old enough remember when Bush was Hitler and the worst thing in the history of ever and evil etc etc. They were both the Republican of the moment. When Mitt Romney was turned into a monster I knew then that it was all noise.

tinnitus photography

Mittens was a monster? that's news to me.

hell, over here in liberal land people actually liked him as a governor.

tinnitus photography

people get their news from YouTube? that's kinda frightening.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:09 pm
My wife gets her news from TikTok :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:21 pm
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:09 pm
My wife gets her news from TikTok :lol:
Oh jeez, mine too. I hate TikTok.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:08 pm

Remember “Binders of women” getting turned into an issue and “proof” that he was a misogynist?

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:22 pm

Remember “Binders of women” getting turned into an issue and “proof” that he was a misogynist?
It was a politically moronic thing to say, not to mention insensitive, out of touch and demeaning. He was rightly skewered for his stupid remark. Most balanced, relatively sane people saw it as such. If you want to move to the fringes of the left (which you frequently seem to do and erroneously attempt to portray as the commonly-held view among left-leaning folks), then, yeah, maybe some of those kooks tried to paint him as a monster. I'm sure it was the kind of red meat that the Fox News crowd thrives upon. However, tinnitus' reaction to your hyperbolic comments are in line with what the majority of those who are well-informed Northeastern liberals would have regarding good ol' Mitt.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

cortez the killer wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:19 pm
well-informed Northeastern liberals
:roll: :roll:

tinnitus photography

LBRod wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:28 am
cortez the killer wrote:
just because i don't get my news from TikTok or YouTube doesn't mean i am not well-informed!

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:00 pm
LBRod wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
just because i don't get my news from TikTok or YouTube doesn't mean i am not well-informed!
Just think how much more informed you would be if you did. Small, digestible snippets that you can even dance to.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

honest question:

what news media sources do ye feel provides for being reasonably informed?

i suppose the cynical answer is "none" that I'll hear from a few of you, but is that really the case? all journalism is garbage? i can't believe that.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

cortez the killer wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:22 pm

It was a politically moronic thing to say, not to mention insensitive, out of touch and demeaning. He was rightly skewered for his stupid remark. Most balanced, relatively sane people saw it as such. If you want to move to the fringes of the left (which you frequently seem to do and erroneously attempt to portray as the commonly-held view among left-leaning folks), then, yeah, maybe some of those kooks tried to paint him as a monster. I'm sure it was the kind of red meat that the Fox News crowd thrives upon. However, tinnitus' reaction to your hyperbolic comments are in line with what the majority of those who are well-informed Northeastern liberals would have regarding good ol' Mitt.
Balanced, sane and well adjusted people clutch their pearls over a dumb comment made by a milquetoast politician with an entire career’s worth of being middle of the road at worst? Mmmkay. I don’t think sane and well adjusted means what you think it means. I’ve seen much worse come out of the mouth of the old jackass in White House right now. Did that stop you from voting for him? Insensitive, out of touch, and demeaning could be that guy’s epitaph but he’s still your boy. You’re a dumbass, Cortez. And get off tinnitus’ balls. He doesn’t need your help.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

LBRod wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
Cortez is unintentionally hilarious. Cheap entertainment.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:56 pm
honest question:

i suppose the cynical answer is "none" that I'll hear from a few of you, but is that really the case? all journalism is garbage? i can't believe that.
Old media is still superior to new media I think.

Journalists will approach events from a certain angle but that's normal. I'm not sure journalism should ever aspire to be perfectly balanced.

When the ownership impacts on the content then that's another thing. I suppose the best answer to your question is "old media outlets which are not owned by Rupert Murdoch".

The most practical thing to do is read and listen to as many voices as possible, ideally from more than one country, then make your own mind up. But not many of us have time for all that hard work.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

305 Engine wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:28 pm
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:56 pm
honest question:

Old media is still superior to new media I think.

Journalists will approach events from a certain angle but that's normal. I'm not sure journalism should ever aspire to be perfectly balanced.

When the ownership impacts on the content then that's another thing. I suppose the best answer to your question is "old media outlets which are not owned by Rupert Murdoch".

The most practical thing to do is read and listen to as many voices as possible, ideally from more than one country, then make your own mind up. But not many of us have time for all that hard work.
That’s a great perspective. And I don’t know why we tend to feel like there is a long storied history of our media not being biased or sensationalized. Yellow journalism was a thing long before cable news or even television. Before radio, hell.

tinnitus photography

so is anyone on the conservative side gonna tell the class how they do keep informed on the issues, or will it just be more sniping that whatever media 'the left' reads is ill-informed and inaccurate bullshit?

i love how people denigrate journalism as a whole, yet can't point to how they get to the truth. (or at least their truth).

i guess these people are just born with special innate gifts!

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:55 am
so is anyone on the conservative side gonna tell the class how they do keep informed on the issues, or will it just be more sniping that whatever media 'the left' reads is ill-informed and inaccurate bullshit?

i love how people denigrate journalism as a whole, yet can't point to how they get to the truth. (or at least their truth).

Didn’t you just describe yourself? Don’t you pretty well dismiss everything that comes from the right of you as stupid and bad thus if it comes from someone you agree with it has to be true? You’re no different than the people you look down your nose at.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

tinnitus photography

Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:32 pm

Didn’t you just describe yourself? Don’t you pretty well dismiss everything that comes from the right of you as stupid and bad thus if it comes from someone you agree with it has to be true? You’re no different than the people you look down your nose at.
i was just asking what news sources are the go-to for being informed? you can't tell me that? is it a deep state secret?

I read the WSJ, occasionally watch Fox News, read The Economist... i just don't read Mother Jones or Vox.

it's not a hard question to answer.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Agree or disagree, at least this writer is not hysterical.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-o ... =TNY_Daily
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:53 pm
Agree or disagree, at least this writer is not hysterical.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-o ... =TNY_Daily
Good read. Legalizing would go a long ways to stop accidental overdoses.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I think the author's point is already reality. I think a lot of what we covered is how we got Trump in the first place.

tinnitus photography

Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:06 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:32 pm

i was just asking what news sources are the go-to for being informed? you can't tell me that? is it a deep state secret?

I read the WSJ, occasionally watch Fox News, read The Economist... i just don't read Mother Jones or Vox.

it's not a hard question to answer.
spot the 3DD members on camera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nzuuV_dL_g