The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flea

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by Flea »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:22 pm
After reading what that guy had to say I would infer that he's a piece of shit.
Now it's dark.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Beantown I'm also assuming you brought me into this because I've mentioned that weak things break, or that your lifestyle choices determine your health. And that guy mentioning that only the strong survive etc.
And those kinds of opinions can appear uncompasionate. I get that.
But, here's where me and that guy ain't the same mo fo-----I raised 15 pigs this summer and since it was covid I decided to not sell any of it. I stocked my family and a few friends freezers full of pork, traded some pork for a half pound of weed, traded some pork for a piece of art for my daughter, traded for a years worth of beef, then donated the rest to the food bank, about a thousand pounds. They barely get protein donated anyways and now it's a pandemic so I decided to help. Because I have compassion for those in need. I'm not virtue signaling here, I'm saying....who wouldn't do that? Or who wouldn't want to help someone in need? That's ludicrous.
Maybe that guy just had his panties in a bunch and ain't gettin any from his old lady. Still no excuse for that kinda talk from a perceived leader during a high consequence natural disaster.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Flea wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:36 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Don't applaud the trolls😉

Flea

Post by Flea »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:58 pm
Beantown I'm also assuming you brought me into this because I've mentioned that weak things break, or that your lifestyle choices determine your health. And that guy mentioning that only the strong survive etc.
But, here's where me and that guy ain't the same mo fo-----I raised 15 pigs this summer and since it was covid I decided to not sell any of it. I stocked my family and a few friends freezers full of pork, traded some pork for a half pound of weed, traded some pork for a piece of art for my daughter, traded for a years worth of beef, then donated the rest to the food bank, about a thousand pounds. They barely get protein donated anyways and now it's a pandemic so I decided to help. Because I have compassion for those in need. I'm not virtue signaling here, I'm saying....who wouldn't do that? Or who wouldn't want to help someone in need? That's ludicrous.
Maybe that guy just had his panties in a bunch and ain't gettin any from his old lady. Still no excuse for that kinda talk from a perceived leader during a high consequence natural disaster.
Now you are making me want to beer you.
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:00 pm
Flea wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:36 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Don't applaud the trolls😉
:lol: :lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
What made me curious was not so much the weak things break/personal choices aspect of what you've said here so much as the self-reliance boosting aspects. You've also made comments about helping those in need so I couldn't predict your reaction as easily as I can many others'. I appreciate your answer including the implication of the dereliction of duty by an elected official, if I can paraphrase/interpret your comment. Similarly I asked for Rod's view because I don't really understand the libertarian response to these kinds of situations. Sorry if this isn't my most cogent response, I'm trying to write while watching Patterson's solo streaming show and the multitasking thing isn't really working.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

I don't speak for anyone but myself, Bubba, and may not be qualified for that.
Seeing any politician saying stupid things is entertaining, but not surprising.
Seems lots of folks have higher expectations for political leaders, but history makes me wonder why.

Of course I'm not interested in being led.

Patterson's guitar sounded amazing tonight. He has some new toys since his last stream.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Clams

Post by Clams »

LBRod wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:04 am
I don't speak for anyone but myself, Bubba, and may not be qualified for that.
:lol:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Flea wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:37 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Now you are making me want to beer you.

Cheers Flea.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

if rush limbaugh hated gender neutral bathrooms so much why is his grave going to be one?

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

chuckrh wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:58 pm
if rush limbaugh hated gender neutral bathrooms so much why is his grave going to be one?
:lol:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Flea

Post by Flea »

chuckrh wrote:
Bravissimo!
Now it's dark.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

chuckrh wrote:

I, too, saw that tweet....
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/futurism.c ... c-beef/amp

Slightly terrifying that this guy owns more farmland than anyone else.
Too bad guys like him and Al Gore have had such a voice on climate matters.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

boyyourself wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:36 am

Doesn’t he own one of the plant-based “meat” companies?

Makes you go, hmmmmm
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:

EDIT: ON FURTHER REVIEW, I THINK THERE'S A POINT TO BE MADE ABOUT THE USE OF MINOR CRITICISMS OR MISTAKES TO TRY TO DISCREDIT MUCH MORE IMPORTANT POINTS, BUT I ALSO THINK THIS POST IS A BIT OVER THE TOP. MY APOLOGIES.

I eat meat. I know nothing about agricultural/food policy. I understand that there are pluses and minuses to every policy and strategy and we as a society need to work hard to figure out the best among difficult choices, balancing the environment, the economy, public and individual health, the different interests of rich and poor countries and more. I'm ready to be educated. Then I read this:

"Of course, Gates is an influential thinker and policy shaper — but take it all with a grain of salt. After all, this is the guy who thought Internet Explorer was going to dominate the browser market."

In a bid to be, what?, cynical? holier than thou?, cute? smarter than the rest of us?, the author writes about Bill Gates as if Internet Explorer constitutes the full extent of his contributions to the world. To me what this says is that the author is clueless and simply yanking my chain as a substitute for actual thought and analysis. By taking a stupid snarky shot at Bill Gates, the author loses all credibility. The mere fact that Gates made a fortune and changed the world by being right, smarter, more ruthless and faster than anyone else is largely irrelevant to whether he knows anything about food policy. But the relative success or failure of Explorer is beyond irrelevant and detracts from the author's intent, whatever it was.

I have no idea what the author's intended message is; I can't even tell whether the author thinks synthetic meat is good or bad. All I know is that any message the author intended to convey is lost on me. I can't even remember the author's name or gender much less any of the "substance" of the article.

Why harp on this small, obscure article? Because this is what our public "debate" has become. Anybody who has ever made a mistake of any kind will be dismissed no matter how good or useful their contributions may be because of that mistake, even if the mistake has nothing to do with the topic at hand. As if any of us have never been wrong about matters big and small. I've done it myself: Just recently I dismissed a suggestion that elections be audited by CPA firms with the response "Oh, you mean those guys who couldn't even figure out who won the best picture oscar?" Good rhetoric, bad argument, worse policy. We all need to do better.
Last edited by beantownbubba on Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A decent answer to the oft asked question, "OK, I know you hate him, but what did Trump actually DO that was so bad?"

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... on/618097/

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

For those of us who knew something was rotten in supposed state of the US economy. And for those who didn't.

"America’s official unemployment rate has declined sharply after rocketing up last year, but top government economic officials are increasingly citing a different figure — one that puts the jobless rate at nearly 10 percent, well above its official 6.3 percent reading and roughly matching its 2009 peak."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/22/busi ... e=Homepage

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:46 pm
boyyourself wrote:

EDIT: ON FURTHER REVIEW, I THINK THERE'S A POINT TO BE MADE ABOUT THE USE OF MINOR CRITICISMS OR MISTAKES TO TRY TO DISCREDIT MUCH MORE IMPORTANT POINTS, BUT I ALSO THINK THIS POST IS A BIT OVER THE TOP. MY APOLOGIES.

I eat meat. I know nothing about agricultural/food policy. I understand that there are pluses and minuses to every policy and strategy and we as a society need to work hard to figure out the best among difficult choices, balancing the environment, the economy, public and individual health, the different interests of rich and poor countries and more. I'm ready to be educated. Then I read this:

"Of course, Gates is an influential thinker and policy shaper — but take it all with a grain of salt. After all, this is the guy who thought Internet Explorer was going to dominate the browser market."

In a bid to be, what?, cynical? holier than thou?, cute? smarter than the rest of us?, the author writes about Bill Gates as if Internet Explorer constitutes the full extent of his contributions to the world. To me what this says is that the author is clueless and simply yanking my chain as a substitute for actual thought and analysis. By taking a stupid snarky shot at Bill Gates, the author loses all credibility. The mere fact that Gates made a fortune and changed the world by being right, smarter, more ruthless and faster than anyone else is largely irrelevant to whether he knows anything about food policy. But the relative success or failure of Explorer is beyond irrelevant and detracts from the author's intent, whatever it was.

I have no idea what the author's intended message is; I can't even tell whether the author thinks synthetic meat is good or bad. All I know is that any message the author intended to convey is lost on me. I can't even remember the author's name or gender much less any of the "substance" of the article.

Why harp on this small, obscure article? Because this is what our public "debate" has become. Anybody who has ever made a mistake of any kind will be dismissed no matter how good or useful their contributions may be because of that mistake, even if the mistake has nothing to do with the topic at hand. As if any of us have never been wrong about matters big and small. I've done it myself: Just recently I dismissed a suggestion that elections be audited by CPA firms with the response "Oh, you mean those guys who couldn't even figure out who won the best picture oscar?" Good rhetoric, bad argument, worse policy. We all need to do better.

One very cool thing that's happened is that integrity farmers are killing it. Demand for local food has sky rocketed.
As individuals what we can do is support local farmers, especially if we are trying to reduce carbon emmison. How much fuel was used in the production and shipment of your food?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

@pearlbeer, I’m a person who goes with my gut a lot because I think more often than not that’s usually a good bet. You struck me as a good dude when we met so I figure you probably are. But I rolled my eyes at the “But don’t give me that...it’s lazy...” part of your reply to me back there and never really stopped after that. The fact that so much of what you said is lazy thinking as far as I’m concerned would have sort of made me grin normally but the whole thing is beyond tiresome. I don’t just mean your comment. I mean the whole biscuit. If you’re truly convinced that the democrats are good I have nothing that’s going to mean anything to you.

Somebody put all this to me in a way that made sense recently. They said, “Why do you discuss politics with those folks? Why do you think that’s a good idea? At worst they think you’re an idiot. And probably a racist besides. At best it’s like telling other people about Drive-by Truckers. They may not doubt your sincerity but they don’t get a word you’re saying and aren’t going to no matter how many different ways you come up with to tell them what you’re telling them.” And just like that I saw no real need for it anymore.

As of a few weeks ago I’ve made an effort to just avoid anything political altogether. I’m not on fake book or any of the other stuff like it and I have just avoided the internet news sites I used to frequent so it has been surprisingly easy. And it has been nice. The outrage outlets are largely to blame for the toxic nature of all things political I just want no part of it myself.

That has a lot to do with why I don’t enjoy the Truckers’ last two albums. How many protest albums in a row do you need to make? It just seems like pandering at this point. And there is nothing particularly risky or brave about saying things nearly all of your audience whole heartedly agrees with so to me we’ve traded in interesting character sketches and great story telling for just listening to Patterson bitch for entire albums to evermore toothless music. And Cooley seems to have joined him. Putting out a song about Sarah Palin in 2020? It’s boring. I hope they break out of this rut but it’s going on five years. I still love the older stuff and I’m sure they’ll still be good live but...

@Flea, that made me laugh, man. Thanks.

If anybody reads this and gets ass mad about it, there’s really no need.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I generally agree with Patterson and Cooley politically, and I've had my fill of the protest songs too. I really like American Band and The Unravelling, and I wouldn't classify the best stuff there as "protest" material necessarily, but I can't imagine how tired someone that didn't share their politics would be of it.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:55 am
I generally agree with Patterson and Cooley politically, and I've had my fill of the protest songs too. I really like American Band and The Unravelling, and I wouldn't classify the best stuff there as "protest" material necessarily, but I can't imagine how tired someone that didn't share their politics would be of it.
It's interesting, though, because though we think of the last 3 albums as being heavily political, there are plenty of non-political songs in the mix. It's not like every album is 12 straight "FUCK TRUMP!!" songs. I also don't think songs like "What it Means" and "Ever South" are "political" (we, as a culture, tend to label everything that we disagree about as "political", when most of it is not, including police violence)

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:23 am
I also don't think songs like "What it Means" and "Ever South" are "political" (we, as a culture, tend to label everything that we disagree about as "political", when most of it is not, including police violence)
I don't understand an interpretation of "What It Means" that's not fundamentally political. I've seen other people make this rhetorical move: It's not politics, thus attempting to put a contentious issue beyond political debate. I think it's not entirely forthright, despite being extremely popular.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:55 am
It's interesting, though, because though we think of the last 3 albums as being heavily political, there are plenty of non-political songs in the mix. It's not like every album is 12 straight "FUCK TRUMP!!" songs. I also don't think songs like "What it Means" and "Ever South" are "political" (we, as a culture, tend to label everything that we disagree about as "political", when most of it is not, including police violence)
There are plenty of songs that aren't political that have moved away from the story telling of the earlier years, though. The non-political stuff is really topical and those things tend to not age as well.

New Ok is the only one of the "political" albums I don't really enjoy, and I think that's just because it doesn't seem as high quality. "Ramon Casiano" is political as fuck, but undeniably rocks.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:56 am
Zip City wrote:
I also don't think songs like "What it Means" and "Ever South" are "political" (we, as a culture, tend to label everything that we disagree about as "political", when most of it is not, including police violence)
I don't understand an interpretation of "What It Means" that's not fundamentally political. I've seen other people make this rhetorical move: It's not politics, thus attempting to put a contentious issue beyond political debate. I think it's not entirely forthright, despite being extremely popular.

"What it Means" is only political if you (or the listener) fundamentally connects their political views with their ethical views. It continues to amaze me that a movement like Black Lives Matters sits squarely on the left side of the political spectrum, as if politically conservative people cannot (or do not) support non-white people. That's absurd, but here we are.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I love the song Ever South. I think it’s the best thing Patterson had and has done for a long time. I think American Band is their best album since BTCD. It’s not just that this is third heavily political record in a row. The last two just seem mostly gloomy, uninspired, and self indulgent. They have political songs that I love regardless of whether or not I think they’re right. They seem burned out to me. In the past they could be totally trashing things I like and agree with but it was done with some
humor and done in a interesting way so it was enjoyable. Now it’s just boring. And Patterson’s self seriousness has gotten to be a little much honestly.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:20 pm
I love the song Ever South. I think it’s the best thing Patterson had and has done for a long time. I think American Band is their best album since BTCD. It’s not just that this is third heavily political record in a row. The last two just seem mostly gloomy, uninspired, and self indulgent. They have political songs that I love regardless of whether or not I think they’re right. They seem burned out to me. In the past they could be totally trashing things I like and agree with but it was done with some
humor and done in a interesting way so it was enjoyable. Now it’s just boring. And Patterson’s self seriousness has gotten to be a little much honestly.
That's fair. I'm sure Patterson has felt overly serious and weary over the past 3 albums and would love to start making some less gloomy music. I'm hoping that Tough to Let Go and Sea Island Lonely are a preview of the type of music we'll be hearing in the near future

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:55 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:20 pm
That's fair. I'm sure Patterson has felt overly serious and weary over the past 3 albums and would love to start making some less gloomy music. I'm hoping that Tough to Let Go and Sea Island Lonely are a preview of the type of music we'll be hearing in the near future
Yeah we’ll see what happens I guess. It could just be things moving on, you know? I’ve been really into this band for a long time. I mean since 2006. That’s a long time. I’ve gotten big into bands before and just sort of reached a point where the bloom fell off the rose for whatever reason. I’ll always love DBT’s older stuff and even the albums that I was never as crazy about like TBTD, GGB, and EO, have their moments that I really enjoy and most likely always will. If it turns out they are just in a stretch that does nothing for me and better things are to come, then great. But I won’t exactly be shocked if things have just sort of moved on either. Fifteen years is a long time to be obsessive about a band’s music and when that band is on what is certainly the back end of their career, the odds are what they are.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:19 pm

"What it Means" is only political if you (or the listener) fundamentally connects their political views with their ethical views. It continues to amaze me that a movement like Black Lives Matters sits squarely on the left side of the political spectrum, as if politically conservative people cannot (or do not) support non-white people. That's absurd, but here we are.
Any song that includes Barack Obama won is political.

And the politicians, they're all lying sacks of shit is political without being partisan, and one of the lines that first drew me in.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:19 pm
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:56 am

"What it Means" is only political if you (or the listener) fundamentally connects their political views with their ethical views.
I don't understand a politics which is not fundamentally about ethics (or the lack thereof, which is the same thing).
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be