The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

LBRod

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by LBRod »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:24 pm
I'm not being rhetorical or snarky, if there's a good answer to that question I'd love to learn it.
You and I both my friend.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

LBRod wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:06 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:24 pm
I'm not being rhetorical or snarky, if there's a good answer to that question I'd love to learn it.
You and I both my friend.
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind, the answer is blowin' in the wind:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Say you're a Republican w/ national political aspirations. You wake up this morning and the lay of the land looks like this:

1. Trump lost the presidential election by over 7 million votes.
2. Biden received the most votes of any presidential candidate in history.
3. Trump was outperformed by down ballot Republicans all over the electoral map.
4. Georgia (Georgia!) has elected a Black Democrat to the Senate and Georgia (Georgia!) may have elected 2 Democratic senators.
5. Stacey Abrams is easily the most influential, powerful politician in Georgia (Georgia!), running way ahead of Trump, Kemp and 2 people who were until very, very recently United States Senators.
6. Those supporting Trump's electoral college machinations are facing noticeable backlash around the country and the nickname "Seditious Senators" seems to be sticking.

How do you look at all this and conclude that the path to national prominence, to say nothing of the presidency, runs through courting Trump's base?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:52 am
That's the woman of color I'd rather see in the White House. Total bad ass.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:14 am
Say you're a Republican w/ national political aspirations. You wake up this morning and the lay of the land looks like this:

3. Trump was outperformed by down ballot Republicans all over the electoral map.
4. Georgia (Georgia!) has elected a Black Democrat to the Senate and Georgia (Georgia!) may have elected 2 Democratic senators.
5. Stacey Abrams is easily the most influential, powerful politician in Georgia (Georgia!), running way ahead of Trump, Kemp and 2 people who were until very, very recently United States Senators.
6. Those supporting Trump's electoral college machinations are facing noticeable backlash around the country and the nickname "Seditious Senators" seems to be sticking.

How do you look at all this and conclude that the path to national prominence, to say nothing of the presidency, runs through courting Trump's base?
The quick answer is that a lot of strong down ballot Republican performance was a result of the Trump base turning out and voting for all R's + lots of traditional R's not voting for Trump in certain places.

I've mockingly called it the "Darrell Vote", but I think the reason places like my home state have swung from being purple to red in the past two election cycles (but made a hard blue shift in the '18 mid terms), is that Trump drew a demographic to the polls that simply never participated before - the lower to lower middle class uneducated White voter. These people aren't going to turn out without a candidate that panders to them, and traditional Republicans never did. Trump was the first. Many of these people never voted at all before Trump, and that explains how a white rural state without a high percentage of college educated people like Iowa voted for Obama twice, and then Trump twice. The demographics of the state are virtually static, but voter turnout increased dramatically.

If those people quit voting, the current Republican party will never win another Presidential election. Hence the suckupery.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Iowan wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:29 am
cortez the killer wrote:
Stacey for EVERYTHING! I'd also love to see her chair the DNC. Wouldn't be surprised if she gets a cabinet seat.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:59 am
Iowan wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
Stacey for EVERYTHING! I'd also love to see her chair the DNC. Wouldn't be surprised if she gets a cabinet seat.
She's definitely someone coming up in the Democratic Party that I really feel comfortable about supporting and putting in a position of leadership. Would love to see her and Buttigieg as a Presidential ticket in the future. Don't really care who is in what role, but I think that would be a really effective, common sense team that would appeal to a lot of folks.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Just read an article describing the Trump Rally, or what everthefuck it is as "The Asshole Jamobree". #perfection

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

MAGA-fucks have stormed the Capital :shock:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i hope Wolf doesn't need any money for bail.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

"This is SO FUCKED UP!"

...is a phrase I had hoped to not scream this goddamn early in 2021.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Speechless.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Could be a Perilous Night
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

bovine knievel wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:01 pm
Watching the footage from today I kept thinking about the music video for “The New Ok”!

If any of y’all are in DC, stay safe!
Last edited by Beaverdam on Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:36 pm

This explains why he hasn't returned to pay his bet. He's been scraping together loose change to get to Washington
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Iowan wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:37 pm
pearlbeer wrote:
Iowan wrote:

She's definitely someone coming up in the Democratic Party that I really feel comfortable about supporting and putting in a position of leadership. Would love to see her and Buttigieg as a Presidential ticket in the future. Don't really care who is in what role, but I think that would be a really effective, common sense team that would appeal to a lot of folks.
Except for the racist, homophobic and/or misogynist crowd, of which there seem to be more than one would imagine. For what it's worth, I think that would be an excellent ticket for all the reasons you mention and more.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:55 pm
tinnitus photography wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:36 pm

This explains why he hasn't returned to pay his bet. He's been scraping together loose change to get to Washington

Loose change in my pocket
Future in my hand
Too many distractions
For me to understand
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:35 am
Iowan wrote:
pearlbeer wrote:

Except for the racist, homophobic and/or misogynist crowd, of which there seem to be more than one would imagine. For what it's worth, I think that would be an excellent ticket for all the reasons you mention and more.
No doubt, but those people aren't entertaining voting for any Democrat at this point, I'd imagine.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:34 am
beantownbubba wrote:

The quick answer is that a lot of strong down ballot Republican performance was a result of the Trump base turning out and voting for all R's + lots of traditional R's not voting for Trump in certain places.

I've mockingly called it the "Darrell Vote", but I think the reason places like my home state have swung from being purple to red in the past two election cycles (but made a hard blue shift in the '18 mid terms), is that Trump drew a demographic to the polls that simply never participated before - the lower to lower middle class uneducated White voter. These people aren't going to turn out without a candidate that panders to them, and traditional Republicans never did. Trump was the first. Many of these people never voted at all before Trump, and that explains how a white rural state without a high percentage of college educated people like Iowa voted for Obama twice, and then Trump twice. The demographics of the state are virtually static, but voter turnout increased dramatically.

If those people quit voting, the current Republican party will never win another Presidential election. Hence the suckupery.
So you're saying that my hypothetical presidential candidate can't win w/out 'em while I'm suggesting s/he can't win with 'em. We could both be right which makes for quite the dilemma.

What you say makes sense and I know nothing about Iowa demographics or politics so I couldn't question it anyway. But just on the math, if Trump bringing people out resulted in down ballot candidates out polling Trump, it necessarily means that some people, presumably Republicans, voted for the down ballot candidates but didn't vote for Trump, which I suppose is just another way of restating the previous paragraph.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Beaverdam wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:59 pm
bovine knievel wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:01 pm
Watching the footage from today I kept thinking about the music video for “The New Ok”!

If any of y’all are in DC, stay safe!
While watching I was thinking more "perp walk them down the capitol steps and show them how it feels."

cortez the killer

Iowan wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:45 am
cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:35 am
Iowan wrote:

No doubt, but those people aren't entertaining voting for any Democrat at this point, I'd imagine.
You are more optimistic than me with regards to the open-mindedness of those moderate/swing voters.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

There's a lot to be said about yesterday and millions of people are saying it so just a few "highlights" that I keep coming back to in my own mind.

White privilege is real.

I simply can't imagine Pence and half the cabinet signing on to the 25th amendment. Not whether they think they should or whether there are reasons they should but simply whether they will. I just don't see that happening. If nothing else, they'll salve their consciences with "there are only 2 weeks left, anyway."

We can argue until the cows come home (that's for Iowan) about whether the specific attack on the Capitol should have been anticipated. But what can't be argued is that some violent action by that mob directed against some symbol(s) of the federal government was not just anticipate-able, it was guaranteed. If you didn't anticipate it you certainly shouldn't be in any position of power or authority. The "signals" weren't even signals, they were pretty much express statements/predictions.

I'm happy to welcome the "finally come to their senses" Republicans back to reality but I really hope they don't think their late run for cover excuses 4+ years of enabling, encouraging and supporting. Lindsay Graham and Moscow Mitch are at the top of that list, but it's a long list and getting longer by the hour. How Lindsay Graham lives with himself is a mystery scientists will still be trying to unravel long after I'm dead.

If Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz's political careers aren't over there is something even more deeply sick and broken about America than we already suspect. I will not deny the schadenfreude of watching their self inflicted implosion and I sincerely hope it sticks. As George Will said about Hawley even before the horror show, "has there ever been such a high ratio between ambition and accomplishment?"

If yesterday morning you were asked what might take attention completely away from Georgia electing TWO Democratic senators, one of them Black and one of them Jewish and in the process flipping the Senate from Republican to Democratic control what might you have said? Events are truly unfolding faster than our ability to comprehend them.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:19 pm
There's a lot to be said about yesterday and millions of people are saying it so just a few "highlights" that I keep coming back to in my own mind.

White privilege is real.

I simply can't imagine Pence and half the cabinet signing on to the 25th amendment. Not whether they think they should or whether there are reasons they should but simply whether they will. I just don't see that happening. If nothing else, they'll salve their consciences with "there are only 2 weeks left, anyway."

We can argue until the cows come home (that's for Iowan) about whether the specific attack on the Capitol should have been anticipated. But what can't be argued is that some violent action by that mob directed against some symbol(s) of the federal government was not just anticipate-able, it was guaranteed. If you didn't anticipate it you certainly shouldn't be in any position of power or authority. The "signals" weren't even signals, they were pretty much express statements/predictions.

I'm happy to welcome the "finally come to their senses" Republicans back to reality but I really hope they don't think their late run for cover excuses 4+ years of enabling, encouraging and supporting. Lindsay Graham and Moscow Mitch are at the top of that list, but it's a long list and getting longer by the hour. How Lindsay Graham lives with himself is a mystery scientists will still be trying to unravel long after I'm dead.

If Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz's political careers aren't over there is something even more deeply sick and broken about America than we already suspect. I will not deny the schadenfreude of watching their self inflicted implosion and I sincerely hope it sticks. As George Will said about Hawley even before the horror show, "has there ever been such a high ratio between ambition and accomplishment?"

If yesterday morning you were asked what might take attention completely away from Georgia electing TWO Democratic senators, one of them Black and one of them Jewish and in the process flipping the Senate from Republican to Democratic control what might you have said? Events are truly unfolding faster than our ability to comprehend them.
IMO the Members of Congress who objected to the Electoral Certification, particularly, my own senator, Ted Cruz, should not be allowed to take their seats in Congress on 1/20. Both the Legislative and Executive Branch should refuse to recognize them as sitting members of Congress. Both Congressional Leadership and the President should refuse to support ANY Legislation that bears their name. To regain their seats, each member should publicly acknowledge the fact that Joe Biden is President and the US Electoral System is sound. They should then be forced to RETAKE their Oath of Office publically, and swear allegiance to the United States of America.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Iowan wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
"That's the person I'd rather see in the White House. Total bad ass." Fixed it.

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:19 pm

White privilege is real.

- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:55 am
Iowan wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

So you're saying that my hypothetical presidential candidate can't win w/out 'em while I'm suggesting s/he can't win with 'em. We could both be right which makes for quite the dilemma.

What you say makes sense and I know nothing about Iowa demographics or politics so I couldn't question it anyway. But just on the math, if Trump bringing people out resulted in down ballot candidates out polling Trump, it necessarily means that some people, presumably Republicans, voted for the down ballot candidates but didn't vote for Trump, which I suppose is just another way of restating the previous paragraph.
In a long way, I'm saying the Republican party is an a massive pickle. They can't win without the extra numbers from the Trump-and-only-Trump voters, but as long as Trumpist ideas are out in the open, there's a sizeable portion of their former base that's going to vote for a Democrat president, or not at all. Unless they can bring these lower class/uneducated white people out to vote for more mainstream conservative candidates, they'll never get to have their cake and eat it too like they did in '16.

I have zero issue with this. My hope is that it forces them to move left, or at a minimum dismiss the open embrace of racism/sexism/anger and focus on actual conservative values.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

oilpiers wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:32 pm
Iowan wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
"That's the person I'd rather see in the White House. Total bad ass." Fixed it.
No disagreement. I'm just pointing out that I like Abrams a hell of a lot more than Harris.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Iowan wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:57 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:55 am
Iowan wrote:

In a long way, I'm saying the Republican party is an a massive pickle. They can't win without the extra numbers from the Trump-and-only-Trump voters, but as long as Trumpist ideas are out in the open, there's a sizeable portion of their former base that's going to vote for a Democrat president, or not at all. Unless they can bring these lower class/uneducated white people out to vote for more mainstream conservative candidates, they'll never get to have their cake and eat it too like they did in '16.

I have zero issue with this. My hope is that it forces them to move left, or at a minimum dismiss the open embrace of racism/sexism/anger and focus on actual conservative values.
I wont pretend to know more than an actual American but hasnt it been the case for a while that they cant win without voter suppression and gerrymandering?

Looking from outside, the Republicans are a horrible party.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Rand Paul was on Fox the other night, stroking his dick about the Electoral College and coming right out and admitting that the Rs can't win the presidency without it.