Cooley - 12/4/20 - Austin - Antones

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

pearlbeer

Cooley - 12/4/20 - Austin - Antones

Post by pearlbeer »

Been a long, long (looooooong) while. Damn happy to post this set list. More later. Holy shit...live music...Cooley...

12/4/20 - Antone's - Austin Tx

Slow Ride Argument
Self Destructive Zones
Birthday Boy
Perfect Timing
Gravity's Gone
Pulaski
Checkout Time in Las Vegas
Cartoon Gold
Surrender Under Protest
Marry Me
Uncle Frank
Women Without Whiskey
Cottonseed
Carl Perkins
Eyes Like Glue
Ghost to Most
Panties in your Purse
English Oceans
-----
Zip City
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

pearlbeer

Re: Cooley - 12/4/20 - Austin - Antones

Post by pearlbeer »

Full show review. I know it has been a while for everyone, so I'm going to do my best to channel my inner-late-night-post-homecoming-bubba.

First off, I've been pretty careful during the pandemic. We closed our office down in April, the kids have been at home for school all semester. When this show announced a while back I was giddy and bought a table for the two night run. This is quite certainly the longest I've gone in my adult life without seeing a live show, and I desperately miss it. Plus, to have the first show out of the bunker be Cooley...please. However, with numbers spiking everywhere, it looked like these tickets would just be adding to the pile of missed 2020 shows. Although the show went on, I wasn't sure about attending. I suppose my biggest fear wasn't actually Covid, but attending a show that I wouldn't enjoy, particularly, when it comes to one of my musical heroes. In the end, I decided to go just one night and wear a mask the whole time.

Antones was at 20% capacity, and all of the seating was confined to 4 top tables, appropriately distanced. All of the patrons and staff were masked and it seemed very safe. So, my buddy Jeff and I ordered a few beers and sat at our table, right up front.

Cooley walked out right on time clutching his Baxendale Harmony, the only instrument he played.

Although the room was pretty sparse, as Cooley sat down, he actually seemed a bit nervous. Me too. It's been a long time and I hoped we both remembered how this shit worked. Cooley opened with, "It's great to be here!......I know thats something everybody on stage usually says, but, seriously...it's GREAT to be here." {thunderous applause, maybe a tear or two around the room} Turns out Cooley decided drive himself all the way to Austin, and wasn't sure if he or his family was more excited to have him out of the damn house.

I've come to love tracking the setlist at Trucker's shows. I have dozens of sets of my phone, and take great pride in my friends marveling at my usual ability to often know the song from the first chord, or even before when I'm stealing signs. But it was deep into the first song until I realized that Cooley opened with Slow Ride Argument. He played it at just about half speed...s-l-o-w. It sounded more like a ballad, and it was fantastic. First time that song has truly spoken me. It was really, really good.

Cooley thanked the audience for all of the support with Livestreaming. He said it's really been a lifeline for himself and the band. "I know you've been listening because I heard someone ask 'Where's Brownie?' (guilty)...I should have brought him!"

Self Destructive Zones and Birthday Boy followed, then a FAST version of Perfect Timing. I mean FAST. Cooley couldn't have picked it any quicker. It worked out great, really cool version and some masterful fingerpicking.

Gravity, Pulaski, then just a splendid version of Vegas, which just needs to be played more often. Cartoon Gold (one of my personal faves) was beautifully played at a fairly quick tempo. It seemed like Cooley has been re-arranging his re-arrangements and I felt a lot of the songs he played were more in line with the album versions.

"Six or seven years ago I wrote this song about a guy who just refused to accept the fact that he lost, and it was over, and he just needed to give up and shut up. And here we are in 2020."

Then he broke into Surrender. Fucking awesome. Fucking awesome. Didn't see that coming.

Marry Me, and Filthy followed. Then, for all you pickers out there, Cooley starting playing with tuning. I think he went to Drop D and played a killer version of Uncle Frank, into Cottonseed. Carl Perkins follow, which was just great to see this song return to a rotation. Cooley dropped his tuning one more time, maybe an open G, not at all sure here, but 72 sounded pretty gnarly. It was killer.

Back to standard tuning, and a bit of stage banter, Cooley was relaxed, sipping on a Stella and clearly enjoying the show as much as everyone else.

A beautiful version of Eyes Like Glue, then Ghost and Panties followed by a really interesting version of English Oceans to end the show. He said thank you, stood up, sat right back down and played Zip. The club was quiet all night, a real listening room, but I just couldn't help be that guy and sing along a bit, goddamn it's been a long time. By the end, everyone in the club had 350 heads on their 305 engines.

In my wildest dreams, I'd never tell you that one of my favorite DBT shows would be viewed from behind the confines of an N95 mask. But, I gotta tell ya it was great. Certainly atypical, but as I looked around the empty spaces in the club, I swear I saw fuzzy outlines of all of my Heathen friends. Luke, Sara, Clams, Bubba, Bill & Martha, Floyd, Cole, The Good Doctor, Dean, etc. etc....everyone was there. And it was glorious.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

pearlbeer wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:37 pm
Full show review. I'm going to do my best to channel my inner-late-night-post-homecoming-bubba.
Well done. Thanks.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

That’s damn near a greatest hits set. Great review.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

That was a good read, pearlbeer.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

❤️
Always go to the show

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Hell yeah Matt

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Excellent, PB.

If he had brought Brownie along that would have been an all time cooley moment lol.

Sometimes when Cooley opts for implication he can be a bit obscure but when he nails it, he nails it and "here we are in 2020" before "Surrender" is a definite nail.

Thanks for the review and the mention. Miss you too. Hopefully soon...
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

boyyourself wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:01 am
Hell yeah Matt
Yeah, D! I did look for you at the show. Always an outside chance spotting you in TX.

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

So good to read a show review... feels like forever since once of those! Glad you got to the show.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

That's fantastic. Thank you for this.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

pearlbeer wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:18 am
boyyourself wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:01 am
Hell yeah Matt
Yeah, D! I did look for you at the show. Always an outside chance spotting you in TX.
Duuuuuuude that's the second time I've found myself in Texas with DBT playing Austin, it sucks.
The first being the Continental Cub shows a few years back. Did you happen to be there?
If I would have been any closer than El Paso (annual climbing trip to Texas.) I'd have made the drive. But had just driven down from Colorado with my daughter, who you met, and couldn't pull the trigger.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Yeah man, I recall running into you in San Antone and you were getting on a train or something out west, maybe for that trip.

Fuck. I miss live music.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

That San Antonio stands out for me as an all timer. Great venue.

xroads64

Post by xroads64 »

boyyourself wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:31 pm
Aztec Theater? Wish more would turn out when they come here but I'm thankful for the shows. Hate that drive back and forth to Austin :x

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

xroads64 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:35 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:31 pm
Aztec Theater? Wish more would turn out when they come here but I'm thankful for the shows. Hate that drive back and forth to Austin :x
I saw a good show at the Aztec. The great show, I’m assuming boy is referring to was the Paper Tiger 4/10/17