The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:07 pm
[quote=beantownbubba post_id=372384 time=<a href="tel:1607290771">1607290771</a> user_id=66]
[quote="tinnitus photography" post_id=372381 time=<a href="tel:1607279930">1607279930</a> user_id=215]
i DO trust the experts, people who have spent considerable time and effort to become proficient in their field of expertise.

are they infallible? of course not.

do they know more than some lunatic farmer about infectious disease? fuck yes.
[quote="tinnitus photography" post_id=372381 time=<a href="tel:1607279930">1607279930</a> user_id=215]
do you personally vet out your doctor, dentist, mechanic etc? do you trust that whoever designed and built that bridge you drive over are enough of an expert that you feel safe? how do you get through life being so self-sufficient?
[/quote]

Yes.

I would add that a significant part of good leadership is knowing how to identify, test, challenge, synthesize and apply expertise without being an expert in everything.
[/quote]

Really depends on the goal of "leadership", doesn't it? I'm finding that the goal of leadership in my workplace organization is misplaced towards profit above all. That is often at odds with compassion, and compassion will carry you a LONG fucking way in my field. But it is not always amenable to expanding the bottom line.
[/quote]

The goal of leadership is to motivate and guide an often disparate team to achieve the organization’s goals. Communicating those goals and obtaining buy in of them are related leadership skills. Either you are an outlier in your organization or your boss[es] is not a good leader.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

Outlier? Guilty as charged.
Now it's dark.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

It seems like we are agreeing to agree. So we got that going for us. Which is nice.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Here I am in Booker Texas. Home for my aunts funeral. She was 99 and in a nursing home. But it was a Covid death. Adding to "the numbers".

It was, as usual, tough for me to come home, but it's been great because I've worked at letting go of the bullshit that pissed me off about the place to begin with which Is why I've been holed up in the mountains for 20 years. Well that and the mountains suit me. They are unsettling and unforgiving. Like a DBT record.

Now I stand in the cemetery visiting the graves of all my grandparents and all my other relatives. It got me thinking more about Mother Nature as it pertains to the life cycle. Mother Nature seems to be undefeated. Father Time requires death to generate life.
One thing that popped into my head is just how the worlds population has been growing and steadily getting more un healthy as a whole. Over populated Cities full of overweight people. I can breakdown my opinion on how and why all that happened but I'd rather not. But I will say that Mother Nature knows how to take care of itself. We keep trifling with her and she will always clap back. Like a grizzly bear who shows no emotion when he sinks his teeth into you when he's needing to feed. Mother Nature ain't no dog, Loving and emotional and ever forgiving. No, nature is a bear. Nurturing her cubs to be able to do their thing which they Are genetically programmed to do without conscious thought.
Maybe Covid 19 is like that Grizzly Man....the bears let him hang out and do his thing for only so long before they eventually took care of him. Dude shouldn't have been trifling with nature. That shit will get you killed. We as humans have been acting like Grizzly Man. Seeing how much we can get away with before nature claps back. Nature has clapped back and is sinking her teeth us. And there seemingly isn't much we can do about it. Well, you could wear a mask if you want, but I don't think that'll stop a bear. It doesn't seem be deterring a bear. And you could say, it didn't have to be like this, and I would agree, but you'd have to go way farther back than 2020 to make a logical case about how we could have prevented this pandemic. 1920 maybe. Then we could start legit protecting our population better. Too late.

Clams

Post by Clams »

boyyourself wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:11 am
Here I am in Booker Texas. Home for my aunts funeral. She was 99 and in a nursing home. But it was a Covid death. Adding to "the numbers".

It was, as usual, tough for me to come home, but it's been great because I've worked at letting go of the bullshit that pissed me off about the place to begin with which Is why I've been holed up in the mountains for 20 years. Well that and the mountains suit me. They are unsettling and unforgiving. Like a DBT record.

Now I stand in the cemetery visiting the graves of all my grandparents and all my other relatives. It got me thinking more about Mother Nature as it pertains to the life cycle. Mother Nature seems to be undefeated. Father Time requires death to generate life.
One thing that popped into my head is just how the worlds population has been growing and steadily getting more un healthy as a whole. Over populated Cities full of overweight people. I can breakdown my opinion on how and why all that happened but I'd rather not. But I will say that Mother Nature knows how to take care of itself. We keep trifling with her and she will always clap back. Like a grizzly bear who shows no emotion when he sinks his teeth into you when he's needing to feed. Mother Nature ain't no dog, Loving and emotional and ever forgiving. No, nature is a bear. Nurturing her cubs to be able to do their thing which they Are genetically programmed to do without conscious thought.
Maybe Covid 19 is like that Grizzly Man....the bears let him hang out and do his thing for only so long before they eventually took care of him. Dude shouldn't have been trifling with nature. That shit will get you killed. We as humans have been acting like Grizzly Man. Seeing how much we can get away with before nature claps back. Nature has clapped back and is sinking her teeth us. And there seemingly isn't much we can do about it. Well, you could wear a mask if you want, but I don't think that'll stop a bear. It doesn't seem be deterring a bear. And you could say, it didn't have to be like this, and I would agree, but you'd have to go way farther back than 2020 to make a logical case about how we could have prevented this pandemic. 1920 maybe. Then we could start legit protecting our population better. Too late.
In other words mother nature is culling the heard
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Clams wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:36 pm
boyyourself wrote:

Why you gotta diss the mutes like that, Clams?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Over populated Cities full of overweight people.
Clams wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:36 pm
Did somebody declare this a fact free zone when I wasn't looking?

Plenty of fat people in urban areas. I'm one. But there is not a single state in the USA, not one, where the prevalence of obesity is less than 20% of the population. States with the highest prevalence? I'm glad you asked, because they are urban meccas all:

MS 40.8%
WV 39.7
AR 37.4
OK 36.8
AL 36.1

The only arguably urban states near the top of the list are Indiana at 35.3% and MI at 36%. Oh, and TX? 34%. All data as of 2019 from the CDC.

Let's look at infant mortality. States w/ the highest rates;

MS 8.3 per 1,000 live births
LA 7.6
AR 7.5
SC 7.2
WV 7.1
AL & GA 7.0

Source: CDC, 2018

Let's try one more. States w/ lowest life expectancy at birth:

WV 74.8 years
MS 74.9
AL 75.4
KY 75.4
AR 75.9
OK 76
TN 76
LA 76.1
SC 77

Source Wikipedia, as of 2018

Notice a trend here?

Culling the herd, eh? So you're saying that Mother Nature thinks the herd in places like Belgium, the US, Italy, Spain, the UK, Argentina, Brazil and the Czech Republic needs to be culled a lot more (like a hundred times more) than places like South Korea, Vietnam, Uganda, Angola, Thailand and even China? Maybe we should file a class action suit against Mother Nature for discrimination. Or we might conclude that Mother Nature handed us a natural disaster, which human beings in some countries turned into a horrible catastrophe and other human beings in other countries tamed quite well. Source: CNN as of about 15 minutes prior to posting.

EDIT: The infant mortality stats are per 1,000 live births, so the "percentages" were off by a decimal place. I've corrected the table.
Last edited by beantownbubba on Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

What Clams said

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Good points Beantown. And yes it's a bit of a fact free zone, or just working through issues by typing out loud.
If we are talking solutions, then Perhaps we could declare death federally illegal. And officially prosecute Trump or some other clown for each death.
Until then, how about banning gatherings of one or more, that way we all end up socially distanced in our own individual cells until this blows over. A far fetched notion? Seemingly potentially not.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:14 pm
Maybe we should file a class action suit against Mother Nature for discrimination. Or we might conclude that Mother Nature handed us a natural disaster, which human beings in some countries turned into a horrible catastrophe and other human beings in other countries tamed quite well.
I heard Trump had Rudy file a suit against Mother Nature for global warming and for all of the California fires.

In all seriousness... Thanks for keeping this place in line BTB.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

What's the cause of all the California fires? It's a bit more nuanced than a Global Warming bumper sticker

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:14 pm

Don't get your panties in a bunch, bubba. I was simply streamlining the argument of our resident Colorado farmer.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

One perspective on the wildfire situation basically lines up with others that I've mentioned regarding the dangers of fucking with nature. Very similar actually.
We took away fire. That's one thing. Even natives burned forests as they knew understood that regeneration happened behind fires.
We also took away buffalo. Herds were 50 million deep, dessimatimg everything in its path. Which leads to re generation behind it, not unlike a fire.
These things being gone have massive consequences. Not the least of which is overgrown and unhealthy forests. Now we are using round up to kill tees. Wait what? What happened to use a plastic bag to save a tee? Another terrible idea with massive consequences.
These things can't be overstated IMO. I'm not a climate science denier. The opposite. But it's also important to note that earth worms been moving north since the dawn of the ice age. Again, not denying humans causing warming, but it's always a little more convenient when played with a Trump accent.

Is all of this that different than my original analogy about this pandemic and how it's affecting the population based on how the population has gotten out of hand and unhealthy. High risk people are like the forest, kinds like a tinder box. And we could have done something about it in some other lifetime to avoid these types of worst case scenarios. But we didn't. So now what?
People are still upset at the idea of killing a tree even though it's good for the overall health of the forest. Most people that feel that way have no idea what makes up a healthy forest or soil system I don't think. It's a fantastic notion, not killing a tree, not too dissimilar to the fantastic notion of keeping unhealthy people alive.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:46 pm
What's the cause of all the California fires? It's a bit more nuanced than a Global Warming bumper sticker
It's all about [not] raking the leaves. Or so I hear.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

boyyourself wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:23 pm
Good points Beantown. And yes it's a bit of a fact free zone, or just working through issues by typing out loud.
If we are talking solutions, then Perhaps we could declare death federally illegal. And officially prosecute Trump or some other clown for each death.
Until then, how about banning gatherings of one or more, that way we all end up socially distanced in our own individual cells until this blows over. A far fetched notion? Seemingly potentially not.
Are you opposed to seat belts, auto liability and home insurance, smoke detectors and speed limits as well? All of these thing affect personal and public safety and are mandated by both federal and state governments. All are direct assaults on personal choice and liberty. Yet, you don't see the smoke detector police invading people's homes and hauling them in for non-compliance. Rather, we've generally set a community standard that has the potential to be enforced, but rarely is. This whole idea of not mandating any covid policies or standards is dumb. We are in a rough situation BECAUSE there isn't any common, consistent guidance nor any accepted community standards.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:07 pm
It's a fantastic notion, not killing a tree, not too dissimilar to the fantastic notion of keeping unhealthy people alive.
Do you mean fantastic as in great or fantastic as in fantasy?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
not denying humans causing warming, but it's always a little more convenient when played with a Trump accent.
It's not a matter of convenience at all. Trump disagrees with you. He does not think humans cause climate warming/change. He has gone all in on increasing our reliance on fossil fuels. It may be convenient to blame so called trump derangement syndrome for improperly blaming trump for a whole host of things and there might be some truth to that in some cases. This isn't one of them.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

boyyourself wrote:

Is all of this that different than my original analogy about this pandemic and how it's affecting the population based on how the population has gotten out of hand and unhealthy. High risk people are like the forest, kinds like a tinder box. And we could have done something about it in some other lifetime to avoid these types of worst case scenarios. But we didn't. So now what?
People are still upset at the idea of killing a tree even though it's good for the overall health of the forest. Most people that feel that way have no idea what makes up a healthy forest or soil system I don't think. It's a fantastic notion, not killing a tree, not too dissimilar to the fantastic notion of keeping unhealthy people alive.

Dude...come on...remember the blow back on this attempt to better regulate public health?

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/27/nyre ... sodas.html

Of course all of these issues, wildfires, coivd...the are all nuanced. These are some of the most complicated issues we face. But ignoring the baseline information to chase red herrings is totally irresponsible. We are seeing an increase in wildfires primarily because the earth is warming too quickly and disrupting weather patterns. The primary issue here IS climate change. (period). (I'm deeply aware of decades of poor forest management policies - a problem exacerbated by the main issue). Coivd is a highly transmissible airborne virus that can be most easily mitigated by wearing a mask and practicing social distancing. (period). IMO whataboutism and red herrings are contributing to the problem or limiting our ability to effective solve them.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

:lol:

Plenty of fat people in urban areas. I'm one. But there is not a single state in the USA, not one, where the prevalence of obesity is less than 20% of the population. States with the highest prevalence? I'm glad you asked, because they are urban meccas all:

MS 40.8%
WV 39.7
AR 37.4
OK 36.8
AL 36.1

The only arguably urban states near the top of the list are Indiana at 35.3% and MI at 36%. Oh, and TX? 34%. All data as of 2019 from the CDC.

Let's look at infant mortality. States w/ the highest rates;

MS 8.3%
LA 7.6
AR 7.5
SC 7.2
WV 7.1
AL & GA 7.0

Source: CDC, 2018

Let's try one more. States w/ lowest life expectancy at birth:

WV 74.8 years
MS 74.9
AL 75.4
KY 75.4
AR 75.9
OK 76
TN 76
LA 76.1
SC 77

Source Wikipedia, as of 2018

Notice a trend here?

now that was a https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT2cELU ... lx6rK2QoLl

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:32 pm
boyyourself wrote:
It's all about [not] raking the leaves. Or so I hear.
That’s what I hear too.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

boyyourself wrote:
I agree it’s not all global warming. There are a lot of factors from what I can tell. PG&E is a huge cause of the fires. Mismanagement of forests regardless of State vs National is definitely a big one. I also see it as folks developing land in historically fire prone areas. It’s the equivalent of developing land along the coast and not expecting to be bitch slapped by Mother Nature sooner or later. Another is drought, shits dried out, compounding the fire risks in an already fire prone area.
It’s complicated and tragic. But Mother Nature don’t give a fuck.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I've been thinking about the monument that will be erected to commemorate our 45th President. I know...he doesn't deserve one, but you know he will get one (or more). A Library isn't really appropriate, and I doubt he will get the spot on Mt. Rushmore he covets.

So, what would be the perfect representation of the Trump Administration?

Interested in your take, but let me submit the Official Pearlbeer Presidential Monument:

cortez the killer

bovine knievel wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:27 pm
boyyourself wrote:
I agree it’s not all global warming. There are a lot of factors from what I can tell. PG&E is a huge cause of the fires. Mismanagement of forests regardless of State vs National is definitely a big one. I also see it as folks developing land in historically fire prone areas. It’s the equivalent of developing land along the coast and not expecting to be bitch slapped by Mother Nature sooner or later. Another is drought, shits dried out, compounding the fire risks in an already fire prone area.
It’s complicated and tragic. But Mother Nature don’t give a fuck.
BK has massive bumper stickers.
- DPM

cortez the killer

pearlbeer wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:48 am
- DPM

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Good one...we'd need to ensure that the statue would reflect that the Bible is being held upside down.

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:42 pm
pearlbeer wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:48 am
It looks like his hair is hovering over his head like a flying saucer.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

He's wearing more makeup than I've ever seen my wife wear.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

cortez the killer wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:39 pm
BK has massive bumper stickers.

cortez the killer

A couple more. . .

- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I submit this for statue consideration.