The New OK - 10/2/2020 (Vinyl 12/18)

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The New OK - 10/2/2020 (Vinyl 12/18)

Post by beantownbubba »

First reactions and thoughts:

Go Go Boots is considered the band's "country/soul" album and The Unraveling is the Memphis album, but this album is truly the band's Memphis soul album. Memphis just drips and oozes through the grooves and out the speakers. It makes me think that they should remake GGB.

INPO:

Horns!
The backing vocals throughout
Matt's lead vocals
I've heard "KKK" live a number of times and I never would have guessed that I would prefer a studio take, but so far I am just loving this version.
Jay's keys throughout but the organ on "Tough to Let Go" is particularly notable and soulful.
Putting the title cut of an album on a different album. I know it's been done before, but still...
The mix on "Perilous Night" kicks all kinds of ass and blows the original version away. I'm generally not comfortable talking about the technical side of recording but even to my ears the difference is clear and remarkable. I'm thinking it's only a small step from here to a dance remix and how cool, or at least interesting, would that be?
"Sea Island Lonely" is superlative in every way but I especially want to call out Patterson's vocal, which may be his best ever. If one wants to stretch a bit and say that Patterson's career has been one long pursuit of Eddie Hinton, well damn, he's caught him. Eddie would be proud. Real proud.
As usual, more Cooley would be better, but can't complain about "Sarah" which if not quite top 10 Cooley is still pretty damn good.

I don't see the b sides/leftovers thing at all, though some of that may be how different people are using those terms. I definitely agree that this is a cohesive album that holds together musically, lyrically, thematically.

As a surprise album, assembled quickly, created by musicians hundreds/thousands of miles from each other, including songs written as recently as a couple of months ago and released mere months after the band's previous album this album is kind of a little miracle and even if you (the general you) don't think it represents top shelf DBT let's all appreciate the gift that it is. Given how good I think the album is, maybe the miracle's not so little.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:06 pm
First reactions and thoughts:

Go Go Boots is considered the band's "country/soul" album and The Unraveling is the Memphis album, but this album is truly the band's Memphis soul album. Memphis just drips and oozes through the grooves and out the speakers. It makes me think that they should remake GGB.

INPO:

Horns!
The backing vocals throughout
Matt's lead vocals
I've heard "KKK" live a number of times and I never would have guessed that I would prefer a studio take, but so far I am just loving this version.
Jay's keys throughout but the organ on "Tough to Let Go" is particularly notable and soulful.
Putting the title cut of an album on a different album. I know it's been done before, but still...
The mix on "Perilous Night" kicks all kinds of ass and blows the original version away. I'm generally not comfortable talking about the technical side of recording but even to my ears the difference is clear and remarkable. I'm thinking it's only a small step from here to a dance remix and how cool, or at least interesting, would that be?
"Sea Island Lonely" is superlative in every way but I especially want to call out Patterson's vocal, which may be his best ever. If one wants to stretch a bit and say that Patterson's career has been one long pursuit of Eddie Hinton, well damn, he's caught him. Eddie would be proud. Real proud.
As usual, more Cooley would be better, but can't complain about "Sarah" which if not quite top 10 Cooley is still pretty damn good.

I don't see the b sides/leftovers thing at all, though some of that may be how different people are using those terms. I definitely agree that this is a cohesive album that holds together musically, lyrically, thematically.

As a surprise album, assembled quickly, created by musicians hundreds/thousands of miles from each other, including songs written as recently as a couple of months ago and released mere months after the band's previous album this album is kind of a little miracle and even if you (the general you) don't think it represents top shelf DBT let's all appreciate the gift that it is. Given how good I think the album is, maybe the miracle's not so little.
I love the horns on this album. Whenever they appear, they're beautiful.

The album definitely has cohesion, and a certain feel. And that's unexpected given the circumstances. I suspect PH has spent a lot more time than we appreciate picking songs and sequencing them for this release.

If I try to take a stab at the feel of this album, it's warm nights having a beer and a smoke, pondering the world and at the same time trying hard to forget it. Which is the story of most of 2020 for me.

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

After a few listens, I really like it! I like it more than The Unraveling for certain. I think this is the first record in forever where all of Patterson’s songs are solid, especially those on the second half like Iowan pointed out. Sea Island Lonely is one of my favorite Patterson songs in a long, long time. Since at least Grand Canyon.

I understand trying to spread the vocals a bit especially with a lack of Cooley but I think the only big misstep here is the Matt Patton vocal on the song The Unraveling. Patterson wrote this, right? I love our bass man but come on, he’s simply not a strong vocalist. KKK works when you’re 12 beers deep at the rock show (and it actually works alright here) but other than that...gonna be a yikes from me. I do enjoy the music on that tune.

The horns are superb.

A welcome, surprising addition to the catalog and I look forward to hearing these live at some point.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

305 Engine wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:35 pm
I suspect PH has spent a lot more time than we appreciate picking songs and sequencing them for this release.
At least as to sequencing, Patterson has a well deserved reputation for the time, care and thought he puts into sequencing.
305 Engine wrote:
If I try to take a stab at the feel of this album, it's warm nights having a beer and a smoke, pondering the world and at the same time trying hard to forget it. Which is the story of most of 2020 for me.
If I had considered this question I suspect I would have come up w/ something different (at the very least, I don't smoke). But I like it a lot.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I really like Matt's vocal on The Unraveling *shrug*
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:56 pm
KKK works when you’re 12 beers deep at the rock show (and it actually works alright here) but other than that...gonna be a yikes from me. I do enjoy the music on that tune.
That's unfair. I'm really into that after 8 beers.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:02 pm
Iowan wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:54 am
This is definitely a collection of B sides/left overs.

Sea Island Lonely is one of my favorite Patterson songs in awhile. The 3 consecutive Patterson songs on the backside are all pretty solid.

The front half is officially Neil Young “Monsanto Years” territory. I thought The Unraveling was pretty cool musically. Matt kills that one on bass.
It isn’t though. Sarah’s Flame, Tough to Let Go, Sea Island Lonely were always earmarked for the next record. The Distance dates back to EO but only the drum track is old while Orange Skies and The New OK are brand new. Only the Ramones cover could even be considered a B side/outtake and The Perilous Night is a new mix
I think we’re arguing semantics here.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

After a few listens, I really like it! I like it more than The Unraveling for certain. I think this is the first record in forever where all of Patterson’s songs are solid, especially those on the second half like Iowan pointed out. Sea Island Lonely is one of my favorite Patterson songs in a long, long time. Since at least Grand Canyon.

I understand trying to spread the vocals a bit especially with a lack of Cooley but I think the only big misstep here is the Matt Patton vocal on the song The Unraveling. Patterson wrote this, right? I love our bass man but come on, he’s simply not a strong vocalist. KKK works when you’re 12 beers deep at the rock show (and it actually works alright here) but other than that...gonna be a yikes from me. I do enjoy the music on that tune.

The horns are superb.

A welcome, surprising addition to the catalog and I look forward to hearing these live at some point.
“...gonna be a yikes from me.” Lol! I laughed hard when I read that. I don’t know if I agree or not but it was funny.

I almost hate to say anything. I don’t care for the album The Unraveling. I’ll just be nice and say it like that. To my ears this sounds much better. I haven’t listened to it much but it sounded really good. But...more political music. I knew nothing about it coming into it so I had no expectations and no preconceived ideas so it’s not like I started out with a bad attitude. But even though the songs sound really good my reaction is mostly, more political songs? Really? We’re still gonna do this? It’s disappointing because it sounds better than anything they’ve done in a while.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:06 pm

The horns are superb.

“...gonna be a yikes from me.” Lol! I laughed hard when I read that. I don’t know if I agree or not but it was funny.

I almost hate to say anything. I don’t care for the album The Unraveling. I’ll just be nice and say it like that. To my ears this sounds much better. I haven’t listened to it much but it sounded really good. But...more political music. I knew nothing about it coming into it so I had no expectations and no preconceived ideas so it’s not like I started out with a bad attitude. But even though the songs sound really good my reaction is mostly, more political songs? Really? We’re still gonna do this? It’s disappointing because it sounds better than anything they’ve done in a while.
This is who the band is now. I wouldn’t expect anything different
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:01 pm
305 Engine wrote:
I suspect PH has spent a lot more time than we appreciate picking songs and sequencing them for this release.
At least as to sequencing, Patterson has a well deserved reputation for the time, care and thought he puts into sequencing.
305 Engine wrote:
If I had considered this question I suspect I would have come up w/ something different (at the very least, I don't smoke). But I like it a lot.

You don’t smoke cigarettes, in the interest of truthiness
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:28 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
305 Engine wrote:
305 Engine wrote:

Neither do I?

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
305 Engine wrote:
305 Engine wrote:
If I had considered this question I suspect I would have come up w/ something different (at the very least, I don't smoke nicotine). But I like it a lot.
Fixed it for ya!
Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

^^^^^^^^^

Goddamn, I was late to the party on that observation!
Now it's dark.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

I understand trying to spread the vocals a bit especially with a lack of Cooley but I think the only big misstep here is the Matt Patton vocal on the song The Unraveling. Patterson wrote this, right? I love our bass man but come on, he’s simply not a strong vocalist.
I think his vocal fits the song, but I don’t really care for the mix. Vocals are muddy and buried and hard to make out the lyrics.
Last edited by Mundane Mayhem on Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

So I told myself I was going to save the album for the early drive to the trailhead in the morning, but then got home and rationalized that the first listen should be on headphones instead of compressed files coming through car speakers.

I was expecting this album to sound more like a collection of stand-alone songs put together on one record, but it's not like that at all. It's well-sequenced and cohesive. I was curious what full band versions would sound like on the songs I've only seen played acoustic on streaming shows and liked it all. The arrangement of Watching the Orange Clouds stands out to me---love the way they recorded this one.

As others have said, this version of Perilous Night is a step up from the original. I like the call to have Matt singing on The Unraveling.

I like the change in sound/mood. American Band ranks #4 behind the DBT trinity for me, and I love (the album) The Unraveling, but after the emotional weight of those two, Sea Island Lonely and The Distance and Matt on KKK to wrap this album are a nice change of pace.
Let the outside air in

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

I would never say this is a B-side quality album. It is a great album. To me it’s a continuation of the draining of optimism we see all around us in society. That’s what people are feeling and going through right now. These last three albums have been so important to what their message has always been and they have released them at the perfect times. I like this one more than the Unraveling overall start to finish. Both being 9 songs it’s easy to compare them. I still think American Band is better however this album is really packed with amazing lyrical content. I like many love the Memphis sound they put into these songs. I personally want more of that. I hope on the next album Cooley can find his mojo. I’m pleasantly surprised by Patton’s vocal ability. He should sing more. I’d love to see Jay get a song as well. Patterson has really pulled the weight and it’s a blessing he is such a prolific writer. It’s allowed us to get more albums at a quicker pace. This album definitely stands on its own as a great piece of revenant work. I know they wanted to after two orange puffery buffoon bashing records to get happy but that’s not really a reality right now for anyone and they are singing about that. I’m fine as a fan who embraces their compassionate loving ways if they make 3 more albums like this honestly. It’s meaty hard hitting lyrical content. That’s what I seek out as a music fan. They are the best at it. Not sure what song is my favorite right now. That is changing always. I will say I love the story behind “Sarah’s Flame” that is truly what makes Cooley a lyrical genius. To see that connection between then and now and be able to pen a song about it? Unreal.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Iowan wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:21 pm

On this board? Never. ;)
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:09 am
Iowan wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:21 pm

On this board? Never. ;)
What do you mean?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:38 pm
This is who the band is now.
True.
Zip City wrote:
I wouldn’t expect anything different.
I didn't for this, but I do for the next one, or the one after that. Now only lasts so long.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:06 pm

The horns are superb.

This is who the band is now. I wouldn’t expect anything different
Yeah I think you’re right. That’s who the band is now. But I didn’t “expect” anything. Most seem to really love the political songs and that’s fine. I just don’t care for that. Regardless of what angle the message is coming from a little of that goes a long way for me and now that we are living in an age where you can’t even watch sports without it being political I’m especially not keen on hearing more political songs from one of my favorite bands. But that’s no big deal. I realize that’s what most of their fans want and it’s not like there aren’t plenty of other artists out there to listen to who aren’t doing that.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The only overtly political songs on the album are Sarah’s Flame and, of course, The Perilous Night. The New OK and Watching the Orange Clouds are certainly socially co copy’s but I would not call them political as both sound deeply personal to these ears.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:28 pm
305 Engine wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:35 pm
Neither do I?
Flea wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:03 pm
Fixed it for ya!
Sheesh! Can't get away w/ anything around here. I wasn't being disingenuous or speaking in alternative facts, it's just that the phrase "warm nights having a beer and a smoke" evokes an image from black & white noir movies where the protagonist (hopefully Bogart but could be Mitchum or many others) is sitting at a bar obscured by cigarette smoke coming from the ashtray as he loses himself in drink and contemplates life, love and disappointment (if those aren't synonymous).

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:54 am
The only overtly political songs on the album are Sarah’s Flame and, of course, The Perilous Night. The New OK and Watching the Orange Clouds are certainly socially co copy’s but I would not call them political as both sound deeply personal to these ears.
It could be argued* that we're in an age where everything is political. I mean, "KKK" may be "fun" but there's politics there too. I don't know whether OK and Orange should be classified as personal or political but as you note they're certainly set in the context of a political moment. Hard to escape right now, I think.

*I'm just observing or maybe just shooting the shit here; I really don't want to argue the point. As I suggested to Cole elsewhere, we all need to pace ourselves.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:02 pm
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:54 am
It could be argued* that we're in an age where everything is political. I mean, "KKK" may be "fun" but there's politics there too. I don't know whether OK and Orange should be classified as personal or political but as you note they're certainly set in the context of a political moment. Hard to escape right now, I think.

*I'm just observing or maybe just shooting the shit here; I really don't want to argue the point. As I suggested to Cole elsewhere, we all need to pace ourselves.
And that last point is well worth keeping in mind. I think it has something to do with my opinion of the lyrics probably. At any rate, I can always put on one of their other records or I may just decide that this one sounds so good that I don’t care a la American Band.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:02 pm
As I suggested to Cole elsewhere, we all need to pace ourselves.
I rather took that to be part of the point of Slow Ride Argument.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:34 pm
[quote=beantownbubba post_id=371179 time=<a href="tel:1601740968">1601740968</a> user_id=66]As I suggested to Cole elsewhere, we all need to pace ourselves.
I rather took that to be part of the point of Slow Ride Argument.
[/quote]

That’s so last album.

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Count me as another who likes this better than The Unraveling. Which is not a slight on The Unraveling at all. But The New OK is tonally a lot more friendly and inviting, and there's stylistic diversity than there has been on a DBT album in a while, which I'm really digging. Seems odd to call it a feel-good album because it's still dark in places, but that's what I'm getting from it, possibly because everything else in the world is so fucked up it seems bright by comparison but hey I'll take it.

Call them "outtakes" if you want, but Tough to Let Go and The Distance are two of the best songs Patterson has written this decade and it's inexplicable that it's taken so long for them to get released. I'm just happy I don't have to resort to live bootlegs to listen to them anymore. Studio version of KKK is also a very welcome surprise.

The Unraveling is a fuckin' barnburner and I think Matt nails the vocal. Though now that we've gotten two Matt lead vocals, when the hell is Jay gonna get to sing a song? For fuck's sake.

The new mix of The Perilous Night is a revelation and completely altered how I feel about that song. Heavy Sandinista! vibes - and thinking about it like that has given me a new appreciation for the lyrics, which I had always thought were too on the nose.

Sarah's Flame isn't Cooley's best song, but it showcases his personality as well as any other he's written - the humor and the razor sharp insight alike. Plus it makes a perfect pairing with Sea Island Lonely in the middle of the album. The soul interlude. And that one line. About the pants. You know the one. Fuckin' Cooley.

The new brand new ones are both excellent and blend the typical DBT style with power pop and psych influences in a way I haven't heard from the band before. Watching the Orange Clouds in particular sounds like the Flaming Lips to me--perhaps on purpose!--and I'm surprised, in a good way, how synthy it gets at the end. I need to dig more into the lyrics of both, but my initial impression is that the last verse of the title track is an important one for historical posterity.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Jack Flash wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:05 pm

Sarah's Flame isn't Cooley's best song, but it showcases his personality as well as any other he's written - the humor and the razor sharp insight alike. Plus it makes a perfect pairing with Sea Island Lonely in the middle of the album. The soul interlude. And that one line. About the pants. You know the one. Fuckin' Cooley.
Nice review. However, I have to take exception and say that the best (i.e. my favorite) line in "Sarah's Flame" is "she made PC worse to mama than the VD daddy brought home from the rodeo."
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

If we’re talking best lines in Sarah’s Flame, I want to throw into the mix the line about Night Moves and The River.
Let the outside air in

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

schlanky wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:08 pm
If we’re talking best lines in Sarah’s Flame, I want to throw into the mix the line about Night Moves and The River.
It's a great line. But what's wrong with Night Moves? David Hood plays on that record, for god's sake!