Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by chuckrh »

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

chuckrh wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:35 pm
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

^^^^^^They blowed up real good!!!!!!! :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

chuckrh wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:16 pm
^^^^^^They blowed up real good!!!!!!! :lol:
The good lord took a likin' to them
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:59 am
Flea wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:03 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:02 am
Hamilton - If you haven't seen the show, just give in already and pay Disney the fucking $7 and watch it.
What if you fucking hate musical theater with every fiber of your being?
What if you do? You could spend 7 bucks just to take the month to explore the Disney library including all the star wars and other superhero movies I've lost track of, so you may very well get your 7 bucks worth anyway. Or you could waste 7 bucks confirming that you hate musical theater w/ every fiber of your being and even so it won't be the biggest waste of 7 bucks you make this month. Or maybe you'll be turned on to something new & different. Maybe you won't love it but will find it to be 2.5 diverting hours and how big a deal is that these days? Maybe you'll just "appreciate it" like some paintings at a museum that everyone raves about but look to you like a third grader's tantrum. I don't really see a downside here except it's 2.5 hours that you might otherwise have spent watching some mediocre TV from the 5th page of your netflix watch list. Low cost, low risk, potential high payoff. That's a bet I'd take every time.
Nice offer, I think I'll sit this one out. XOXOXO.
Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

wanted to watch another buscemi directed movie after enjoying trees lounge so much. did not like this at all though

On paper it had potential. Buscemi a jaded political journalist, Miller the scandalous pop star he deems himself above interviewing. The movie is almost entirely those two in one room and their eventual cat and mouse game was intriguing but it just never really came together for me. Some truly annoying dialogue, and not even in the way it intended.

Maybe the Dutch original is better, idk.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

stunning

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

So I was reading the local Austin rag last night and this movie review caught my eye. Sounds like a indie, but the title - "Bloody Nose, Empty Pockets" gave me immediate pause. Reading a little further, sounds like the movie is set in, you guessed it, Las Vegas. I'm assuming it must star somebody's Mama and somebody's Son.

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

^^^ The way I heard it, Cooley was as surprised as anyone to learn of this movie. I don't know if he's taken any formal action to object but it sure looks like he'd have a case (though I suspect the film makers are what as known as "judgment proof", i.e. broke). I've also been wondering whether the song itself is on the soundtrack but have been too lazy to find out for sure.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

When Jews Were Funny - A documentary I stumbled over on HBO. It's hard to know what to say about this one: On a "formal" level, the director/interviewer isn't good enough to carry the movie. He seems to be on a quest to resolve his own less than fully formed issues as opposed to documenting the subject and this flaw gets worse as the movie goes on. OTOH, much of the movie is hysterical, at least enough of it to justify the 90 minutes. OTOOH, I don't know if this movie will have any appeal to non-Jews; while the jokes are universal enough the context is very ethnically specific. It rang many of the right bells for me but I don't know how much that's about me and my background. I can see it either way but individual mileage will definitely vary. But damn there were some funny bits. We actually had to stop the movie a couple of times because we were laughing so hard and didn't want to miss the next line.

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:57 pm
I don't know if this movie will have any appeal to non-perverts; while the jokes are universal enough the context is very...specific. It rang many of the right bells for me but I don't know how much that's about me and my background. I can see it either way but individual mileage will definitely vary. But damn there were some funny bits. We actually had to stop the movie a couple of times because we were laughing so hard and didn't want to miss the next line.
I fixed it to mimic my review of The Aristocrats!
Now it's dark.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Flea wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:15 pm

I don't know if this movie will have any appeal to non-perverts; while the jokes are universal enough the context is very...specific.
Flea's quote above reminded me a bit of The Greasy Strangler. I did a search on the forum for discussion of it and didn't find anything.

I was home sick for a few days a while back (I'm thinking it was while recovering from the Homecoming Crud of 2019). I watched a whole bunch of movies over several days, and Greasy Strangler came up on some web search I did trying to find something to watch. I vaguely recall reading disclaimer stuff saying "it's not for everyone etc." Of course, that drew me in.

It's not a good movie by most standards, but it stays with you.

It definitely stays with you.

And it's not a good pick for date night.
Let the outside air in

Flea

Post by Flea »

schlanky wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:53 pm
Flea wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:15 pm

I don't know if this movie will have any appeal to non-perverts; while the jokes are universal enough the context is very...specific.
Flea's quote above reminded me a bit of The Greasy Strangler. I did a search on the forum for discussion of it and didn't find anything.

I was home sick for a few days a while back (I'm thinking it was while recovering from the Homecoming Crud of 2019). I watched a whole bunch of movies over several days, and Greasy Strangler came up on some web search I did trying to find something to watch. I vaguely recall reading disclaimer stuff saying "it's not for everyone etc." Of course, that drew me in.

It's not a good movie by most standards, but it stays with you.

It definitely stays with you.

And it's not a good pick for date night.
How far down the rabbit hole of weird cinema do you want to go?
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanks for that, Flea. I think.

A Star is Born (Lady Gaga/Cooper version) - The movie was ok I guess but it raises the question, why? Why make this movie (or more accurately, remake it for the 3rd time)? The only answer I can come up w/ is that it's a good vehicle for Lady Gaga, who acquits herself well. As far as I could tell, Cooper was basically doing a Kristofferson imitation, which is ok but again, why bother?

A question for those who have seen it: Were the couple of pop songs (as opposed to the allegedly country and rock songs) intentionally bad? They were clearly intended to show Ally losing her soul to the pop star machine but that can work whether or not the songs were as bad as I thought they were and I'm not sure what they were aiming for there.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Flea wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:22 pm
I'm hit or miss on weird cinema. I do like movies that are off the beaten path of recycled plot lines/character types. I generally favor plots that are at least somewhat followable. I'm not easily offended.

I've liked a little of David Lynch's stuff that I've seen, but didn't like Twin Peaks or Eraserhead. It bothered me to a degree that I didn't like Twin Peaks because so many people I know who have similar taste to mine all loved it, and I could never figure out what was so likable about it. (I gave up on it somewhere in the second season).
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

schlanky wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:41 am
Flea wrote:
I'm hit or miss on weird cinema. I do like movies that are off the beaten path of recycled plot lines/character types. I generally favor plots that are at least somewhat followable. I'm not easily offended.

I've liked a little of David Lynch's stuff that I've seen, but didn't like Twin Peaks or Eraserhead. It bothered me to a degree that I didn't like Twin Peaks because so many people I know who have similar taste to mine all loved it, and I could never figure out what was so likable about it. (I gave up on it somewhere in the second season).
I thought Twin Peaks was great for about 2 or 3 episodes. I didn't even get to the second season.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Flea wrote:

Far enough?
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:15 am

A question for those who have seen it: Were the couple of pop songs (as opposed to the allegedly country and rock songs) intentionally bad? They were clearly intended to show Ally losing her soul to the pop star machine but that can work whether or not the songs were as bad as I thought they were and I'm not sure what they were aiming for there.
Been a while since I watched that movie, but yes that was my impression
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Flea

Post by Flea »

LBRod wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:01 pm
Flea wrote:

Far enough?
I'll see your Audition and raise you a Visitor Q.

Now it's dark.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Another reason we are friends.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Flea wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 pm
LBRod wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:01 pm
Flea wrote:

I'll see your Audition and raise you a Visitor Q.
Thanks to both of y'all for the summer watch ideas. I googled Audition and saw that it's very highly regarded and that it's best you go in without knowing anything about it, so I stopped reading. If y'all (or other folks) have other ideas, I'm interested.
Let the outside air in

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

A very good Japanese horror film I saw years ago is called Organ. Check it out if you don't mind bloody movies.

I recently caught up with an early 70s independent film called Toys Are Not For Children. It's well done and rather interesting. There's a major plot point that is not entirely clear (open to interpretation anyway). Much of the cast was taken from NYC theatre.

These are both recommended to Schlanky btw and anyone else who enjoys watching unusual cinema.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Old Guard (Netflix) - Enjoyable. Diverting. Charlize Theron.

Get off my lawn department: I know I'm decades too late, but damn, it still annoys the hell out of me the way Hollywood shamelessly sets up and shills for sequels in the current movie. It leaves a bad taste and ends the movie on an off key note.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

I liked this but didn't get as much out of it as I thought I would. Both leads were incredible and watching them play off each other for almost two hours was a good time but it felt a bit slight as a story. Maybe I had poor expectations but I kept waiting for something to happen and it was a bit anticlimactic. could be due to reading the description and thinking it sounded like uncut gems. plotwise it sorta is but ultimately not that kind of movie

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Zip City wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:39 am
I don't think that Hamilton is whiskey-soaked enough for a lot of people here
My family is so obsessed with Hamilton. My wife and kids (daughter 6 years and son 9 years) watch repeatedly. When in the van we listen to the soundtrack.

I guess this is payback for when I caught the DBT bug over a decade ago and listened to SRO over, over, and over again!!!

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i think i hated this

mild spoilers maybe so stop reading if that bothers you

ive seen enough kaufman by now to know what kind of movies he makes, ie ones you have to put some work into, but this never really clicked at all. felt kinda abstract for abstracts sake, which i could accept if it was a fun viewing experience but it wasnt. its central conceit (a woman meeting her boyfriends parents while unsure about the relationship) was terribly uninteresting, the ending was both uninteresting and telegraphed too much to really shock, and it devoted wayyyyy too much time to long driving scenes and stiff banter between its leads, which was also terribly uninteresting.

ive gotten quite a lot out of kaufmans in the past (and boy was i amped when david thewlis appeared) but this was a disappointment. ill grant there are probably details id appreciate better/at all the second time through but it just plain wasnt enjoyable enough to even consider doing that

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

My sense of the reviews that I've seen is that the critics want to like it because it's Kaufman and they're supposed to, but most don't really like it but are afraid they're missing something the cool kids get. Good for you for breaking free from the tyranny of hipster cancel culture!! Based on what I've read including yours, I don't think I'll be watching anytime soon.