DBT Quarantine Livestreams

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: DBT Quarantine Livestreams

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

305 Engine wrote:Loved last night, maybe a little more than the other PH noonchorus shows. Felt the man enjoyed pulling those old songs out again.
I think last night and the family history show were about equally great. The preparation for these theme shows is really impressive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Something happened with my stream Wednesday night, but last night I watched the entire show and stayed up way too late.

Like many of you I’ve seen more DBT shows than I can count, and I’ve been luck enough to catch multiple Patterson and Cooley solo shows, but I do enjoy these “themed” shows. I enjoy the backstories as much or more than the music.

Much thanks to Patterson, Cooley, and Jay.

I’d also tune in to watch ezb play the drums and or Matt play bass!

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Doing another listen on Patterson's show tonight. Kickass that the re-stream starts with the old country hits and Trucker Jesus instead of when Patterson sits down and starts playing.
Let the outside air in

Clams

Post by Clams »

schlanky wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:31 pm
Doing another listen on Patterson's show tonight. Kickass that the re-stream starts with the old country hits and Trucker Jesus instead of when Patterson sits down and starts playing.
Right there with ya schlank, watching now for the first time
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

On Patterson's Pizza Deliverance show, the stories were every bit as enjoyable as the songs---as TC said above, you can tell Hood really puts a lot of thought into these themed shows. And Patterson seemed to enjoy this show every bit as much as we did. I've heard many of the stories from this show, but every time you hear them, you get some new tidbit.

And we definitely need an animated gif from somewhere in the 23-minute mark of Hood swilling his beer and saying "Let's play some songs."
Let the outside air in

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Jay did another fantastic show. Many fewer instruments this time around, but he played more than three hours.

His streaming show needs to be called the Jay Gonzalez Jukebox. His request list has 900+ songs on it. It's fun to watch.

On a later show, I'd like to see a camera roam around the room because there's so much to see---so much vinyl and so many keyboards. I'm most curious about the significance of the picture of the race car that was just left of the Tuborg sign tonight. That pic was right up on the keyboard for something recently---either Quarantine Together video or a show he did on Facebook before the noonchorous shows.

Highlights for me tonight were:

Lonely Boy (my request)
Watching the Wheels
W.O.L.D.
Shannon
French Inhaler
Here You Come Again
Head Over Heels
Queen of Hearts
The TV theme song medley of pretty much every show I watched growing up
Hello, It's Me
Last edited by schlanky on Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Anybody know what happened at the end of Jay's show? Purposely shut down? Tech glitch? Timed out? Seemed like he was just getting warmed up :)

Schlanky, don't forget the guitars (at least 5 that I could see). Speaking of guitars, I was surprised that Jay didn't play any guitar because a couple of times he specifically said something like "the guitar solo goes here", or "cue mad guitars" e.g. Shake Some Action. It was probably the right decision because Jay seemed to have his hands full just keeping up w/ all the requests but to some extent Jay has spoiled us (me) with his virtuosity.

It seemed like one could tell which songs Jay likes the most or maybe plays the most because they tended to be the best performances (that could be a tautology but I don't think it is; I know what I mean even if you don't). In addition to

Lonely Boy (not a personal favorite but he definitely plays the hell out of it)
Watching the Wheels
French Inhaler
Here You Come Again
Hello It's Me

I'd add

The Shape I'm In (my favorite performance of the evening)
Hot Child in the City
The one dedicated to his wife which I'm blanking on right now
When I Still Have Thee

From his comments as well as his performance I got the idea that Jay's a big Teenage Fanclub fan which makes total sense of course. But I was surprised because I consider myself a fairly big fan of the band and he and I have never talked about them which just seems odd, considering.

It didn't occur to me until after but even though he played a ridiculous number of songs (too bad glennwordman didn't make it to the show it would have been interesting to see if his handwriting could have kept up w/ the cascade of hits), he didn't play any Badfinger or, as somebody else observed, Abba. That's not a complaint at all but those seem to be regulars in the cover shows I've heard/seen Jay do. Perhaps nobody requested them - Jay seemed pretty dedicated to the literalness of the request nature of the show.

Schlanky are you sure about the 3+ hours? It was definitely headed there before the abrupt ending but I thought it was actually just under 2.5 hours (?)

Similar to Patterson's stories but in a very different way, I love when Jay starts riffing about the songs or the people he's dedicating them to or the way you can see how he hears something in one song that immediately makes him leap to another. He gives us a very open, fascinating look into how his mind works. As my wife & I described it last nite, he's got a "musician's mind;" the neurons simply work differently than, say, the more straightforward, pedestrian neural paths I trod. It's almost (though not quite) like seeing the creative process at work. But geez, Jay, that thing is called a microphone. You need to speak into it if you want people to hear you. Or maybe you don't :lol:

As always a very fun time and as always I came away more impressed than before with Jay's talent and his core goodness.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:40 pm
Anybody know what happened at the end of Jay's show? Purposely shut down? Tech glitch? Timed out? Seemed like he was just getting warmed up :)
I'd bet on a combination of "Purposely shut down" and "Timed out".
beantownbubba wrote:
Schlanky, don't forget the guitars (at least 5 that I could see).
I wanted to see him bust out that mandolin hanging in the background on some R. E. M.
beantownbubba wrote:
The Shape I'm In (my favorite performance of the evening)
That should've been a punk rock cover around 1978.
beantownbubba wrote:
It didn't occur to me until after but even though he played a ridiculous number of songs (too bad glennwordman didn't make it to the show it would have been interesting to see if his handwriting could have kept up w/ the cascade of hits), he didn't play any Badfinger or, as somebody else observed, Abba. That's not a complaint at all but those seem to be regulars in the cover shows I've heard/seen Jay do. Perhaps nobody requested them - Jay seemed pretty dedicated to the literalness of the request nature of the show.
I was bummed to hear no Kinks. I should've requested some.
beantownbubba wrote:
As always a very fun time and as always I came away more impressed than before with Jay's talent and his core goodness.
He was nice to my kid after the show in Decatur, Alabama and that makes him all right by me--or would, if he weren't all right already, alright already?

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

beantownbubba wrote:

Schlanky are you sure about the 3+ hours? It was definitely headed there before the abrupt ending but I thought it was actually just under 2.5 hours (?)
The feed cut out mid-song in James Taylor's Going to Carolina. It was out for a few minutes, then came back. It was sometime after 11 central (maybe 11:10 or 11:15?) when the show really ended. The re-stream is up now, but it doesn't include any of the stuff from after it cut out in the James Taylor song. I luckily still had the browser window open and saw it pop back up and caught the end.
Let the outside air in

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

beantownbubba wrote:
Gerry Rafferty's Right Down the Line---yeah that was great
beantownbubba wrote:
Same here.

---
Rewatching now and there's just so much great stuff. I liked his version of Kiss on My List is better than the original. Here, There and Everywhere was great too.

After the rewatch, I'm going to say best performance, or the one that hit me hardest, was Shannon. It starts at 1 hour 18 minutes and 50 seconds.
Let the outside air in

Flea

Post by Flea »

schlanky wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:25 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Gerry Rafferty's Right Down the Line---yeah that was great
beantownbubba wrote:
Same here.

---
Rewatching now and there's just so much great stuff. I liked his version of Kiss on My List is better than the original. Here, There and Everywhere was great too.

After the rewatch, I'm going to say best performance, or the one that hit me hardest, was Shannon. It starts at 1 hour 18 minutes and 50 seconds.

Thank you for the heads up. I'm listening/watching now, and Shannon will DEFINITELY be a hard pass. Not even Jay could fix that abortion.
Now it's dark.

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

I paid for the Cooley show last week but was unable to watch. I updated my Flash, restarted my browser, etc, and the video still wouldn't play. I just got a blank screen. I replied to the original email from noonchorus and sent an email to inplayer, requesting a refund, and have not heard back from either. Anybody here have luck getting a refund? Should I call my CC company and ask them to cancel the charge?

Why is anyone still using Flash in 2020??

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I loved Jay's show too.

I requested ABBA's "Knowing Me, Knowing You" (the 1 song of theirs on the big list of songs at Jay's site) via email before the show and also during the chat. Someone else also requested it on the chat. Don't know if they had emailed it before the show.

It was funny when someone said in the Noonchorus chat that Jay needed to send us his cell phone number if he wanted us to text him song requests.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Pumped and slightly stoned ahead of the request show tonight.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

305 Engine wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:04 pm
This can fixed.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:35 pm
305 Engine wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:04 pm
This can fixed.
Working on it. There's plenty of time.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

So, uh, Patterson covered "The Day John Henry Died" last night. You've got about 30 hours to catch the recording if you missed it!
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:46 pm
So, uh, Patterson covered "The Day John Henry Died" last night.
And that song is followed by "Boys from Alabama."
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:46 pm
You've got about 30 hours to catch the recording if you missed it!
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

schlanky wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:12 pm
And that song is followed by "Boys from Alabama."
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tyler wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:19 pm
This could become a regular.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

Here is audio of Patterson doing a very moving version of What it Means and Marvin Gaye's What's Going On during the midst of the protests last month. Posted with permission from Patterson and no I won't share the whole recording so don't ask!

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I was out of town and missed Cooley's show (first quarantine show I've missed). I figure I'm now outside the window to buy a ticket and watch it late (if it's still up, please let me know and I'll take the gamble). What were the highlights of this one?
Let the outside air in

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

gordonlw wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:08 pm
Here is audio of Patterson doing a very moving version of What it Means and Marvin Gaye's What's Going On

Thanks for posting that, gordonlw. It's every bit as good as I remembered. And it underscores how great it would be to eventually have opportunity to purchase a greatest hits type download of The Quarantine Sessions, Vol 1 - ?.
Let the outside air in

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

schlanky wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:39 pm
I was out of town and missed Cooley's show (first quarantine show I've missed). I figure I'm now outside the window to buy a ticket and watch it late (if it's still up, please let me know and I'll take the gamble). What were the highlights of this one?
Just checked, and it's still up for me. Actually going to rewatch it right now.

Kicked it off with "Lisa's Birthday," which was a nice surprise. "One of These Days" comes to mind as another highlight. "First Air of Autumn" seemed a bit more...somber? than usual, which gave it a different feel that I enjoyed.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:07 am
Just checked, and it's still up for me.
Thanks, Mundane. Life got in the way and I didn't get around to checking it out, so I guess I'll catch the next one.

Last night and tonight have been my first opportunity to listen to the July 3rd Bandcamp downloads. I'm about halfway through "night 2" now. These along with Barbe's HC mix really capture the spirit of the band at its best. If the world ever goes back to the old normal, I'd like to see DBT record shows every now and then to put out as downloads---particularly on multi-night runs like at Brooklyn Bowl.
Let the outside air in

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Ton of new shows announced today.

Patterson and Cooley alternating Wednesdays from here on out

Patterson 8/5, 8/19, 9/2 (Request show), 9/16 (Southern Rock Opera special!), 9/30 (Request show)
Cooley 8/12, 8/26, 9/9, 9/23, 10/7

$15 ea or there's a package deal of $125 for all 10.

Jay has also announced 3 more saturday shows

Request cover shows on 8/15 and 9/26, and an originals set on 9/12,

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

This is an abundance, and something to look forward to each and every week. Grateful for it
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

What better day to drop this than a Sunday morning!
Patterson Hood "covering" Late For Church Live from the Heathen Attic Portland, OR on June 24th 2020. Posted with permission.......

https://bit.ly/2BRTzw3
Last edited by gordonlw on Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Pickathon is playing the DBT set from the Woods stage this evening.
The parts I can remember kick ass.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT8Fp9 ... SRJzZo5qUw
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.