DBT Quarantine Livestreams

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

litdimly

Re: DBT Quarantine Livestreams

Post by litdimly »

After having missed a couple of the shows, I'm so glad I caught Patterson's most recent (at the 11th hour, literally). I appreciate the insight he offers into where he was (physically and mentally) when a song was written. Impactful show and I can't stop thinking about it today. "Protest songs are fun."

Another party I was late to which may be in this thread (or elsewhere): https://youtu.be/pZogRtYjp_w

Apologies for not embedding properly. My audio is not great but still got chills from an impassioned performance of Grievance Merchants.

Paige

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Thats at least the second time during these shows that I've seen PH stumble during Puttin' People on the Moon.

Finding it a difficult song to sing at the moment?

As for the change of set... I support an artist playing the songs he feels he has to play. If he wasnt in the headspace to deliver a party show like the one planned, better to delay it.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

"That guy from your dad's favorite band" is underway.

"Anything browner than tan". I'm thinking he's opening w/ Imagine intentionally.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Eyes Like Glue more than appropriate today. Probably impacting me differently than most so I won't rain on anyone's parade. He is doing a bang up job on it though.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

"You're not gonna get what you want for Father's Day. The kids aren't going back to school so you'll just have to settle for one of those world's greatest dad things." There is only one Cooley.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Interesting version of Ghost. Played only once. So far.

Telling the backstory to Ramon in more detail than I've ever heard. Cooley tells a mean story.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Kicking serious ass on Ramon and taking names, especially Harlon's.

Perfect timing here: Tstorms just opened up.

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

NoonChorus didn't / isn't letting me use my ticket for Cooley3 for this one. Says it's expired.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

"You wouldn't be the person you are today w/out rock solid advice like 'how the hell should I know? Go ask your mother.'" Segue into Marry Me. Guy's got it going on today.

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

coornelius wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:24 pm
NoonChorus didn't / isn't letting me use my ticket for Cooley3 for this one. Says it's expired.
Real annoyed. Kinda planned Father's Day to be home and settled in for this.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

"The point of the title of this song, Surrender Under Protest, is that you can't do both. That's the point."

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

coornelius wrote:
coornelius wrote:
I’m looking into it for you
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
coornelius wrote:
coornelius wrote:
What name is it under? Ansley will check

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Space City!! Damn.

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:42 pm
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
coornelius wrote:
Charlie

thank you for looking into it!
Last edited by coornelius on Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

coornelius wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:42 pm
Tequila Cowboy wrote: I’m looking into it for you
Charlie Sallwasser

thank you for looking into it!
NoonChorus will reach out to you

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Really nice version of Devil Don't Stay. Menace in the guitar picking, wistfulness (?) in the vocals.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
coornelius wrote: Real annoyed. Kinda planned Father's Day to be home and settled in for this.
Charlie, check your PMs if you haven’t gotten in yet

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I hope that the introductory speech for “Everybody Needs Love” is recorded somewhere for posterity’s sake!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I was too busy listening to transcribe it or come close, but in typical Cooley fashion, damn he nailed the George Floyd tragedy and the following focus on race and justice. He just has a way about him and wields a sharp laser getting at the truth behind the noise.

Finished w/ an emotional Everybody Needs Love that sounded nothing like any other version I can think of and had me rooted to my chair. Wow.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beaverdam wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:18 pm
I hope that the introductory speech for “Everybody Needs Love” is recorded somewhere for posterity’s sake!
Like.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

We all know Cooley is one of the best songwriters on the planet, and he played a hell of setlist and did fantastic versions of all the songs. But what I'll remember from this show, the stuff that hit me hardest, was his talking before Ramon Casiano and right there at the end.
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

This was a very different kind of show from Cooley compared to previous livestream and solo shows I've seen. Figuring out and articulating why is not so easy though.

There was clearly a seriousness of purpose as evident in the set list, Cooley's commentary and the gravity of the presentation of most of the songs. This was no kind of frat party; nobody was going to be tempted to shout out "freebird!". Cooley's comments before "Ramon" and "Everybody Needs Love" were the most obvious examples of this but I'm also thinking about placing "imagine" first and including introspective family songs played only rarely ("Eyes Like Glue") or infrequently ("Space City"). There was also Cooley's very pointed, trenchant explanation of the meaning of the title "Surrender Under Protest." One could imagine him saying the same thing in a funnier more roundabout way, but not yesterday. Less verbal examples might include the decidedly "non-party" or non-rocking versions of "Ghost to Most" and "Where the Devil Don't Stay."

Being a dad in these difficult, challenging, confusing times seemed to be weighing heavily on Mr. C. I'm including "Birthday Boy" here among the family oriented songs Cooley played. He clearly cares about the narrator (and about the subject of "Pulaski" which he played just before BB). The song has never been titillating despite its subject matter and that goes double for yesterday's version. Too bad he didn't play "Primer Coat" which would have fit perfectly into my version of the set :)

I suppose I should note that there's no doubt that hearing "Eyes Like Glue" early in the set affected me considerably; all of the above was probably greatly impacted by that "set up." I never even liked the song until yesterday. Go figure.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:53 am
This was a very different kind of show from Cooley compared to previous livestream and solo shows I've seen. Figuring out and articulating why is not so easy though.
One thing I noticed pretty early on is that Cooley was doing "chord strum" versions of songs of which we've all heard more intricate fingerpicked arrangements in his solo shows and even previous livestreams. I read an interview once (no idea where) where Cooley said he doesn't think people want to hear him just strum the chords of songs, and always tries to rearrange his songs for the acoustic setting, so this seemed like a conscious departure from that. The obvious explanation would be that he was trying to distract as little as possible from the words, which seems to make sense given the setlist and the societal context of this show. In some ways, it felt like we were sitting around a campfire with Cooley rather than at a concert we bought a ticket for. There was something democratic about it, and I mean that in the best way possible.

I don't recall ever having heard Ramon, SUP, Marry Me, or AGTM in this sort of solo arrangement. That said, when he DID fingerpick, I thought he played exceptionally well. 72, WTDDS, and Perfect Timing were particularly inspired guitar performances, in my opinion.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:13 pm
One thing I noticed pretty early on is that Cooley was doing "chord strum" versions of songs of which we've all heard more intricate fingerpicked arrangements in his solo shows and even previous livestreams. I read an interview once (no idea where) where Cooley said he doesn't think people want to hear him just strum the chords of songs, and always tries to rearrange his songs for the acoustic setting, so this seemed like a conscious departure from that. The obvious explanation would be that he was trying to distract as little as possible from the words, which seems to make sense given the setlist and the societal context of this show.
Yes, exactly right. I wanted to say something about the chording v. the fingerpicking but I don't really have the "technical vocabulary" for that.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:05 am
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:13 pm
One thing I noticed pretty early on is that Cooley was doing "chord strum" versions of songs of which we've all heard more intricate fingerpicked arrangements in his solo shows and even previous livestreams. I read an interview once (no idea where) where Cooley said he doesn't think people want to hear him just strum the chords of songs, and always tries to rearrange his songs for the acoustic setting, so this seemed like a conscious departure from that. The obvious explanation would be that he was trying to distract as little as possible from the words, which seems to make sense given the setlist and the societal context of this show.
Yes, exactly right. I wanted to say something about the chording v. the fingerpicking but I don't really have the "technical vocabulary" for that.
Maybe I don't either, but that clearly didn't stop me from trying!
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Beaverdam wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:18 pm
I transcribed it before the show is taken down later tonight. Not going to post the text here publicly out of respect for Cooley, but if anyone wants it for their own private reference, shoot me a PM.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

So last night, I bought my ticket for Patterson's show tonight and Jay's show on Saturday night.

For those who haven't seen the info for Jay's show, it's a request show and you can go to his website to see a list of songs from which to pick your request. The list has 900 songs on it! :o

http://jaygonzalez.com

Can't wait for Pizza Deliverance etc tonight and Jay on Saturday.
Let the outside air in

Narducci19

Post by Narducci19 »

First time tuning in to the streams. Amazing show so far, really scratching the live music itch. Loved the version of Late for Church! Always thought that was an underrated gem from their catalogue.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Loved last night, maybe a little more than the other PH noonchorus shows. Felt the man enjoyed pulling those old songs out again.