The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:57 pm
Equally jaw droppingly remarkable, but marginally less stupid: "Do you get the impression that the Supreme Court doesn't like me?" So revealing of a personality that views every issue, every circumstance as a personal zero sum game. (Not that that's a surprise to anyone).
As I was saying, per CNN: "President Donald Trump said some Americans might wear face masks not as a way to prevent the spread of coronavirus but as a way to "signal disapproval of him.""

It's impossible to keep up w/ the tidal wave of bullshit he spews.
As I have seen more than one knowledgeable, professional say; he is uniquely unqualified to be President if the United States. Full stop.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

pearlbeer wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:26 am
"If we stopped testing we would have very few cases, if any."

- Donald J. Trump, Very Stable Genius
He actually has a point; he just doesn't know it.

The tests are poorly regulated and highly variable--thanks in large part to his administration's mismanagement--and in the aggregate, they put out a lot of false positives. Paradoxically, stopping testing for a while would cause the actual infection rate and the statistical infection rate to converge. It would be stupid to do, of course, because you wouldn't have a smooth trend line to track, and your daily snapshots would be way off in the other direction, but it'd eventually get the total number closer.

Some days I hate math worse than others.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

assay variability is baked into any sort of diagnostic testing... you can apply error bars to the data and still get some meaningful trend data over time. it's not like it's 50% false negatives or positives from these tests.

edit - i don't think the tests are as bad as you make them out to be. they have undergone test method validation. the PPV is the weakest, so false negatives are more prevalent, which actually underscore the reality of who is infected.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtech/f ... body-tests

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/eme ... erformance

John A Arkansawyer

tinnitus photography wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:23 pm
assay variability is baked into any sort of diagnostic testing... you can apply error bars to the data and still get some meaningful trend data over time. it's not like it's 50% false negatives or positives from these tests.

edit - i don't think the tests are as bad as you make them out to be. they have undergone test method validation. the PPV is the weakest, so false negatives are more prevalent, which actually underscore the reality of who is infected.

I would not be shocked if you were right! It sounds like you have more direct experience with this than I.

The expert from whom I received this opinion is this guy here. Check out the last paragraph, On why he wouldn't recommend getting an antibody test.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Flea

Post by Flea »

Antibody tests are almost impossible to interpret in asymptomatic patients.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Flea wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:07 pm
Antibody tests are almost impossible to interpret in asymptomatic patients.
Lady Antibody
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I was watching an HBO documentary on Roy Cohn, and it explains a lot of why Trump is the way he is.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:41 pm
pearlbeer wrote:

The tests are poorly regulated and highly variable--thanks in large part to his administration's mismanagement--and in the aggregate, they put out a lot of false positives. Paradoxically, stopping testing for a while would cause the actual infection rate and the statistical infection rate to converge. It would be stupid to do, of course, because you wouldn't have a smooth trend line to track, and your daily snapshots would be way off in the other direction, but it'd eventually get the total number closer.

I appreciate your attempt to bend over backwards to be fair. We could all probably do w/ some more of that. But not this time. I think Trump is saying that the absolute number of cases would decline if we did less testing which is of course absurd on its face. I don't think he'd have a clue about the kind of statistical analysis you and tin are parsing.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:27 am
I was watching an HBO documentary on Roy Cohn, and it explains a lot of why Trump is the way he is.
How was that? I saw the listing and was tempting but I really wasn't sure I wanted to invite Roy into my home for any length of time.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:02 am
Zip City wrote:
How was that? I saw the listing and was tempting but I really wasn't sure I wanted to invite Roy into my home for any length of time.
They talked about how Cohn's strategy (when representing Trump in court) was to a) never admit wrongdoing and b) always counter-sue people who sue you

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:02 am
Zip City wrote:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:39 pm
tinnitus photography wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:23 pm

I would not be shocked if you were right! It sounds like you have more direct experience with this than I.

The expert from whom I received this opinion is this guy here. Check out the last paragraph, On why he wouldn't recommend getting an antibody test.
he is absolutely right in that there are a ton of tests and some are obv better than others. it's gonna be like the eventual vaccine; so many companies are trying to make one and any single company could never make enough to meet demand anyway, so it's very likely that there will be a number of approved vaccines, some working better or w/ less side effects than others.

i actually hope to be working w/ one of those companies soon!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:01 am
pearlbeer wrote:

I appreciate your attempt to bend over backwards to be fair. We could all probably do w/ some more of that. But not this time. I think Trump is saying that the absolute number of cases would decline if we did less testing which is of course absurd on its face. I don't think he'd have a clue about the kind of statistical analysis you and tin are parsing.
Given Trump's latest iteration on this theme in Tulsa, it may be that these initial remarks were intended to be statistically oriented (though still incorrect) and not, shall we say, alchemical or witchy. I'm not sure I believe that, the first remark still seems to me to be more along the lines of "let's close our eyes and it will go away", but I have to admit it's possible he was trying to articulate the still silly but less outrageous statistical case.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:01 am

Given Trump's latest iteration on this theme in Tulsa, it may be that these initial remarks were intended to be statistically oriented (though still incorrect) and not, shall we say, alchemical or witchy. I'm not sure I believe that, the first remark still seems to me to be more along the lines of "let's close our eyes and it will go away", but I have to admit it's possible he was trying to articulate the still silly but less outrageous statistical case.
I don’t think he meant anything other than what he said. I think the unspent testing funds prove that he did indeed slow down testing to improve the numbers.

Here’s the crazy thing, even his pals DeSantis in Florida and Abbott in Texas, true Trumpers through and through, have both admitted the math doesn’t add up and the increased testing does not correlate to the rising case counts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:44 am
I don’t think he meant anything other than what he said.
Me, either, and I'm sorry if I gave a contrary impression. If he was telling the truth, it wasn't on purpose.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:44 am
I don’t think he meant anything other than what he said.
Yeah, but what did he say? The first quote was "if we stopped testing we'd have very few cases, if any." That could mean it's increased testing that's "creating" more cases. It could also mean testing causes cases. What he said in Tulsa I think can only be interpreted the first way. I'm not nearly so sure about the first quote.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

We are doomed. Just doomed. Last one left, remember to turn off the gas and turn out the lights. It's over. Never mind the election. Never mind the pandemic. Never mind our uninsured co-citizens. Never mind anything.

Yesterday was to say the least a busy day for news but still, I don't know how I missed the biggest story. All I can say is that I was not the only one. The Fed and related agencies announced a "relaxation" of the Volcker Rule. They also reduced margin requirements on derivative trades. The chairwoman of the FDIC called the Volcker Rule "inefficient" and "overly restrictive."

To review, in the world according to Bubba, perhaps the biggest contributing factor to the 2008 financial meltdown was the elimination of the Glass-Steagall Act, which prohibited banks from doing particularly stupid risky things, like betting taxpayer insured money on red (or black). After the meltdown, we got the less than terrific but better than nothing Dodd-Frank bill to re-regulate banks and restore some order to financial markets. The Volcker Rule was part of Dodd-Frank and is a pale imitation of Glass-Steagal to begin with but it at least put some restraints on the greed, stupidity and monumental arrogance of bankers. So the Fed has now allowed banks to take more risks with our money for no benefit to anyone but bankers. And because that's not dangerous enough, margin rules on risky, complicated investments that nobody fully understands were relaxed, allowing banks to make bigger, more leveraged bets on the riskiest investments.

As Casey Stengel used to say, you can look it up. Every time, and I mean EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. banks are permitted some leeway to invest in riskier investments than straight meat and potatoes, an economic disaster follows. EVERY SINGLE TIME banks are allowed to leverage themselves more (e.g. by relaxing margin requirements) financial disaster follows. They're like laws of physics. This will be no different. I cannot believe this just happened and I am scared shitless. The smartest guys in the room have once again been unleashed to do their worst, and the worst will happen.
Mere hours after announcing the gutting of the Volcker Rule, the Fed announced that the biggest banks did not do well in the latest stress tests and imposed some limits on the banks' ability to piss money away. THE SAME DAY. I dare anyone to put those 2 actions into any coherent framework. You might refer to this as ironic, but you'd be wrong, because it's sadly inevitable.

I'm not an unreasonable person. I understand that human beings, even the smartest most successful, most powerful human beings make mistakes, especially under pressure. Solutions to big problems will always be imperfect at best, even assuming the greatest good will and best efforts of those responsible for those solutions. But we are now in the land of unforced errors. This is the doom of repeating history by those who have forgotten their history. Nobody (other than banks) was clamoring for these changes. These changes aren't even intended to address our biggest current financial problems like unemployment, recession and debt. This is just stupidity and hubris on a criminal scale. Of course, there will be no public outrage or movement to reverse these changes until it is too late and we can all tune in to the low theater of Congressional hearings featuring faux outrage by those who should have done something and faux contrition by those who fucked us again, secure in the knowledge that they will walk away scot free. I think I'll throw up now.

We are doomed.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:59 am
We are doomed. Just doomed. Last one left, remember to turn off the gas and turn out the lights. It's over. Never mind the election. Never mind the pandemic. Never mind our uninsured co-citizens. Never mind anything.

Yesterday was to say the least a busy day for news but still, I don't know how I missed the biggest story. All I can say is that I was not the only one. The Fed and related agencies announced a "relaxation" of the Volcker Rule. They also reduced margin requirements on derivative trades. The chairwoman of the FDIC called the Volcker Rule "inefficient" and "overly restrictive."

To review, in the world according to Bubba, perhaps the biggest contributing factor to the 2008 financial meltdown was the elimination of the Glass-Steagall Act, which prohibited banks from doing particularly stupid risky things, like betting taxpayer insured money on red (or black). After the meltdown, we got the less than terrific but better than nothing Dodd-Frank bill to re-regulate banks and restore some order to financial markets. The Volcker Rule was part of Dodd-Frank and is a pale imitation of Glass-Steagal to begin with but it at least put some restraints on the greed, stupidity and monumental arrogance of bankers. So the Fed has now allowed banks to take more risks with our money for no benefit to anyone but bankers. And because that's not dangerous enough, margin rules on risky, complicated investments that nobody fully understands were relaxed, allowing banks to make bigger, more leveraged bets on the riskiest investments.

As Casey Stengel used to say, you can look it up. Every time, and I mean EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. banks are permitted some leeway to invest in riskier investments than straight meat and potatoes, an economic disaster follows. EVERY SINGLE TIME banks are allowed to leverage themselves more (e.g. by relaxing margin requirements) financial disaster follows. They're like laws of physics. This will be no different. I cannot believe this just happened and I am scared shitless. The smartest guys in the room have once again been unleashed to do their worst, and the worst will happen.
Mere hours after announcing the gutting of the Volcker Rule, the Fed announced that the biggest banks did not do well in the latest stress tests and imposed some limits on the banks' ability to piss money away. THE SAME DAY. I dare anyone to put those 2 actions into any coherent framework. You might refer to this as ironic, but you'd be wrong, because it's sadly inevitable.

I'm not an unreasonable person. I understand that human beings, even the smartest most successful, most powerful human beings make mistakes, especially under pressure. Solutions to big problems will always be imperfect at best, even assuming the greatest good will and best efforts of those responsible for those solutions. But we are now in the land of unforced errors. This is the doom of repeating history by those who have forgotten their history. Nobody (other than banks) was clamoring for these changes. These changes aren't even intended to address our biggest current financial problems like unemployment, recession and debt. This is just stupidity and hubris on a criminal scale. Of course, there will be no public outrage or movement to reverse these changes until it is too late and we can all tune in to the low theater of Congressional hearings featuring faux outrage by those who should have done something and faux contrition by those who fucked us again, secure in the knowledge that they will walk away scot free. I think I'll throw up now.

We are doomed.
& uncle Joe Biden is going to be down with this shit, too. Fully owned by big banking. We're heading to the wheelbarrow full of cash to buy a loaf of bread scenario except that it will all be on plastic so that your every move can be tracked. Your doom will come when China wants to collect on all of the debt we are in with them. Depending on who's in charge, recipe for war. The theory being that war is a fine way to disappear debt. Problem is I have serious doubts that we'd beat China at this point. That's when the missiles start flying. I'm thinking about moving close to the nuclear sub base in Washington. At least it would be over quick.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:59 am

We are doomed.
On point and insightful, as usual. It just boggles the mind why this needs to be done now. The Fed is flooding the market with dollars at incredibly low interest rates, so (unless i am missing something) banks can easily access the money they need to perform their normal functions. A few reasonable checks and balances on their actions hasn't stopped banks from making a shitload of $$$ in the last ten years.

And, of course, it everything goes south, the bankers and investment bankers will be just fine. As in 2009, the ill-gotten gains they make hand over fist while leveraging the system will not be clawed back in the next bailout.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:32 am
I'm thinking about moving close to the nuclear sub base in Washington. At least it would be over quick.
Redefining fatalism for a new generation :o Though it is hard to argue with you.
Mr. B wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:57 am
And, of course, it everything goes south, the bankers and investment bankers will be just fine. As in 2009, the ill-gotten gains they make hand over fist while leveraging the system will not be clawed back in the next bailout.
Oh yeah. This is something I'd bet the farm on. But who would even make book on it? It's depressingly predictable. Or predictably depressing. Or something like that.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

btb, you forgot the push to kill Obamacare in the middle of the Pandemic.

I don't want to put on a tin foil hat, but it sure seems like there is something (more) abnormal going on. It's like the assholes want to do as much damage as possible on the way out. Let them die. Burn the fields. I just don't understand the motivation.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

pearlbeer wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:21 pm

I don't want to put on a tin foil hat, but it sure seems like there is something (more) abnormal going on. It's like the assholes want to do as much damage as possible on the way out. Let them die. Burn the fields. I just don't understand the motivation.
the road to tyranny begins with the destruction of the truth - William Jefferson Clinton

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:

It’s not that I forgot, I just posted it elsewhere. My comment: Trump to 23 million Americans: drop dead.

As for the whys and wherefores I have no idea but you could well be right. It is clear in a general way that the more he thinks he is going to lose the more he will engage in scorched earth tear it all down tactics in everything from pardons to appointments to absurd claims of massive voter fraud.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:54 pm
pearlbeer wrote:

It’s not that I forgot, I just posted it elsewhere. My comment: Trump to 23 million Americans: drop dead.

As for the whys and wherefores I have no idea but you could well be right. It is clear in a general way that the more he thinks he is going to lose the more he will engage in scorched earth tear it all down tactics in everything from pardons to appointments to absurd claims of massive voter fraud.

The time between November and the inauguration will be full “salt the earth” mode for sure

John A Arkansawyer

pearlbeer wrote:

I've got a poem in progress right now that addresses this. Starting with line three (because the first two are golden and have a Higher Purpose):
It's not that I'm selfish.
I'm worse than you think.
My ideology, such as it is,
In practice means damage,
Like burning a bridge
All sides depend on
Because it fucks you
More than fucks me
So you can go screw.
Or maybe:
It's not that I'm selfish.
I'm worse than you think. My ideology, such as it is,
In practice means damage, like burning a bridge
All sides depend on because it fucks you
More than fucks me, so you can go screw.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Folks, after all the words, all the handwringing, all the despair, we have now entered a new universe entirely. Russia put a bounty on American soldiers heads and actually paid the Taliban for murdering those soldiers. I don’t expect anything from Trump who is at best Russia’s useful idiot and probably worse but the silence from Republicans is beyond the pale, beyond partisan politics, beyond decency and completely unacceptable. How can anyone, politician or voter, possibly justify continuing to support Trump? Even in this day and age where nothing is too low, no norm or law too sacred to break, this has to shock the conscience. Doesn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jr29

Post by jr29 »

It still has to get through the state senate and the governor but the Mississippi House just passed legislation that would change the state flag. The governor changed course earlier this week and said he would support the change and I believe it looks good in the senate.
Good on the Magnolia State !!!

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:24 pm
Folks, after all the words, all the handwringing, all the despair, we have now entered a new universe entirely. Russia put a bounty on American soldiers heads and actually paid the Taliban for murdering those soldiers. I don’t expect anything from Trump who is at best Russia’s useful idiot and probably worse but the silence from Republicans is beyond the pale, beyond partisan politics, beyond decency and completely unacceptable. How can anyone, politician or voter, possibly justify continuing to support Trump? Even in this day and age where nothing is too low, no norm or law too sacred to break, this has to shock the conscience. Doesn’t it?

The story is just picking up some steam. But even members of the modern Republican party cannot stay silent on how Trump apparently handled this, can they? I did not think that my view of Lindsey, Mitch and the rest of the gang of evil could get any lower, but I guess we'll see.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mr. B wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:29 pm
beantownbubba wrote:

The story is just picking up some steam. But even members of the modern Republican party cannot stay silent on how Trump apparently handled this, can they? I did not think that my view of Lindsey, Mitch and the rest of the gang of evil could get any lower, but I guess we'll see.
If we want to really drill down into the realpolitik muck, I suppose that the only thing that really matters is what Republican and Republican leaning voters think because the "gang of evil" to which you refer always leads from behind. And there is no demographic group outside the right's version of anarchists (tear it all down and I don't care what's next) that I can see not having conniptions about this. But of course we have learned all about the ability to rationalize and to channel and tame cognitive dissonance if the ends are perceived to be important enough. But even if that brings you to, say, 25% of the electorate, what about the rest? What. About. The. Rest?????????

Trumpists' willingness to bury deeply literally generations of distrust and even hatred of Russia because it inconveniently interferes with being able to support Trump has always been one of the more remarkable aspects of his rise. We will soon find out whether an outrage this large can dent that cone of ignorance and refusal to see or if these folks are simply irredeemable.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
How can anyone, politician or voter, possibly justify continuing to support Trump? Even in this day and age where nothing is too low, no norm or law too sacred to break, this has to shock the conscience. Doesn’t it?

Last night:

Me: "Anyone who supports Trump is either willfully ignorant or a horrible person!"
Wife: "You are talking about my family!"
Me: "¯\_(ツ)_/¯"
Love each other, Motherfuckers!