Outdoor Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: Outdoor Thread

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:
This is awesome! I’d take you up on that offer, Iowan.
Yeah awesome is right! I might bring my entire extended family. Iowan, how are you with dietary restrictions, cheapskates, drinkers, teenagers who always roll their eyes, cousins who bicker a lot, and aunts/uncles who fart and burp all the time, etc?
We're hog farmers, so my freezer ain't kosher. I'm very cheap, and I like booze. I can tune out teenagers and bickering, uncouth relatives.

Make what you will of that.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Iowan wrote:Good trip report of the Upper Iowa. This site is a great resource for Driftless canoeing.

https://www.milespaddled.com/2017/07/up ... -river-ii/
That site rules.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

bovine knievel wrote:
Clams wrote: Yeah awesome is right! I might bring my entire extended family. Iowan, how are you with dietary restrictions, cheapskates, drinkers, teenagers who always roll their eyes, cousins who bicker a lot, and aunts/uncles who fart and burp all the time, etc?
Thanksgiving Filter 8-)
:lol:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

jr29 wrote:
Iowan wrote:Good trip report of the Upper Iowa. This site is a great resource for Driftless canoeing.

https://www.milespaddled.com/2017/07/up ... -river-ii/
That site rules.
They do a phenomenal job. I used it to feel out my maiden voyage on the Yellow River last summer.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Last weekend, junior and I road tripped into the West Virginia mountains to fly fish the Elk River and Monongahela National Forest. Never spent any time in West Virginia before - man what a wild, beautiful and remote place. We spent two days hiking and catching wild trout on the Elk, then we blue lined a couple of mountain streams on our way home. We hit up a really cool tiny distillery too. Mason's 19 now and he worked me hard - all day hiking and bushwhacking and wading the river until dark- but I managed to keep up, we caught a bunch of beautiful fish, and I made it home with all bones and ligaments intact. A really great father son weekend.
(sorry about the large photo size)

https://scontent.fphl2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5D8E6DDC

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

^^^^
Father of the Year candidate right there!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

bovine knievel wrote:^^^^
Father of the Year candidate right there!
Agreed. Great pics. Looks like a fantastic trip. And the first pic shows some pretty impressive gear set-ups----y'all were set to go!
Let the outside air in

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Awesome, Clams. That's the stuff your son will remember when you're gone. Since my old man died what I think about the most are all the hunting and fishing trips.

People like to crap on West Virginia but if you love the outdoors it's a great place.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

West Virginia is awesome. I went to the ISU/WVU football game in Morgantown in '13, and they were the nicest fucking people I've ever met. Aggressive in their hospitality. Absolutely loved it.

Clams

Post by Clams »

More fishing pics (apologies if you've already seen these on facebook). Junior and I drove 2 hours up to the Lehigh river gorge yesterday. The gorge runs for 30 miles through a remote part of the pocono mountains and the river is full of class 2 and 3 rapids and really strong current and also ridiculously slippery rocks and boulders. It was raining with temps around 50 - perfect! We hiked a few miles and caught a few fish and had us a time.

Last edited by Clams on Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Note the hat. Not the Patagonia one.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

beantownbubba wrote:Note the hat. Not the Patagonia one.
Based on all I've seen and learned about JR, I'd like to think he is the one who turned Clams onto DBT! :lol:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

bovine knievel wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Note the hat. Not the Patagonia one.
Based on all I've seen and learned about JR, I'd like to think he is the one who turned Clams onto DBT! :lol:
He was probably 6 at the time Clams started listening to DBT.

Awesome pics, Mollusk. Looks like a blast.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I've had Cumberland Island National Seashore on my list to hike for several years and finally made it for a three-night backpacking trip. It's an island off the coast of Georgia just north of the Florida state line that's reachable only by boat.

It's known for the ruin of Dungeness, a Carnegie family mansion that was abandoned and later burned. It's also known for the feral horses that roam the island.

I like hiking maritime forests because the scenery is so different from what I'm used to seeing on trails.

Dungeness was destroyed by suspected arson in 1959. This is just a portion of it, and the grounds were impressive.

Met a friend on the trail soon after leaving Dungeness.

Most of the trails look the same, but it never got old.

In spots, trails follow the edge of ponds/wetlands. You wind around them, then head back into the woods.

On the second night, camp was on the shore at Brickhill Bluff Camp.

Cumberland Island is known for being buggy, particularly this campsite. I was hoping they wouldn't be bad in January, but the biting no-see-ums were out. They left you alone as long as you kept moving, so after a day with a whole lot of walking, I did more walking at camp. The upside was this was the first time I've ever spotted dolphins from a campsite and sunset was nice.

Final animal count was 9 horses, 4 deer, one armadillo, dolphins and birds.

Approaching camp for night three, I left the interior trails and hit the beach for the last three miles to reach the turn back inland to get to camp. At low tide, the beach was wide.

Let the outside air in

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Awesome, Schlanky.

Clams

Post by Clams »

This is pretty cool. A guy set up a motion activated camera on a log over a PA mountain stream. Wildlife abounds.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Junior is Alaska bound for the summer. He'll be working as a fishing guide at a lodge in Skwentna, AK (population 37). I'm so jealous.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Clams wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:06 pm

Junior is Alaska bound for the summer. He'll be working as a fishing guide at a lodge in Skwentna, AK (population 37). I'm so jealous.
Hope he brought the mosquito repellent. They tend to be the size of a B52 bomber this time of year. I've done my time up there. Got paroled haha.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Clams wrote:
Sounds like a great experience for him. I wish I would have known well enough to do something like that in my younger years.
Let the outside air in

Clams

Post by Clams »

schlanky wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:48 pm
Clams wrote:
Sounds like a great experience for him. I wish I would have known well enough to do something like that in my younger years.
Me too Schlank

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

tinnitus photography

Clams wrote:

that is so awesome.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Good for him, I’m definitely jealous. What an adventure.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Clams wrote:

That is awesome, Clams! I’m glad that young man is getting out there and doing what he wants to do. I had plans on moving to Alaska back when I was around twenty one years old. Saved up five thousand dollars of start up money and booked a spot on a ferry from Washington State so I would have my truck up there. My buddy who was supposed to be going with me backed out at the last minute. I joined the Marine Corps instead. I don’t regret joining the Corps but I look back on that planned move to Alaska and wonder what might have been. I don’t have many regrets in my life because I’ve pretty much done whatever came along that I wanted to do. But I do regret not getting up there. Some day.

Sounds like that young man is on the right track. You know who I blame.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Earlier this month, my wife, daughter and I took advantage of my son's time in Alaska to visit there. We spent time in Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula (Homer and Seward) and then spent a couple of days at the fishing lodge where Mason's working for the summer. We did lots of driving, hiking, fishing, sightseeing etc. Man what a beautiful and wild place, paradise for anyone into the outdoors. We did a cool fly-in trip to Katmai Natl Park to watch brown bears feeding on the tidal flats and at one point you could see bears, bald eagles, glaciers and volcanoes all at the same time. We also had an 11pm tsunami evacuation following the 7.8 earthquake that struck off the Aleutian Islands last week (that was actually pretty scary - blaring sirens, scary phone alerts, mass confusion, and our airbnb was literally across the road from the bay). The fishing lodge was pretty cool too - no town, no roads, just a lodge (a bunch of cabins, really) on a crazy river/creek system about 75 miles NW of Anchorage that you can only reach via seaplane. We fished for salmon and trout and it was pretty cool to watch Mason working the river and putting us on some fish. It was an interesting dynamic from a father/son perspective - for the first time he was the one in charge and had all the knowledge and responsibility and did all the heavy lifting while I was the one taking orders and asking what to do. Definitely one of our best family vacations. Here's a few pics although pictures don’t really do justice to Alaska.

Last edited by Clams on Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Pretty spectacular. I did a fishing trip in AK a few years ago with my old man. Really good times and the scenery is like nowhere else. We were supposed to go to (very) northern Canada last month for another trip. I had ticket...but it got canceled.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:11 pm
Earlier this month, my wife, daughter and I took advantage of my son's time in Alaska to visit there. We spent time in Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula (Homer and Seward) and then spent a couple of days at the fishing lodge where Mason's working for the summer. We did lots of driving, hiking, fishing, sightseeing etc. Man what a beautiful and wild place, paradise for anyone into the outdoors. We did a cool fly-in trip to Katmai Natl Park to watch brown bears feeding on the tidal flats and at one point you could see bears, bald eagles, glaciers and volcanoes without even moving your head. We also had an 11pm tsunami evacuation following the 7.8 earthquake that struck off the Aleutian Islands last week (that was actually pretty scary - blaring sirens, scary phone alerts, mass confusion, and our airbnb was literally across the road from the bay). The fishing lodge was pretty cool too - no town, no roads, just a lodge (a bunch of cabins, really) on a crazy river/creek system about 75 miles NW of Anchorage that you can only reach via seaplane. We fished for salmon and trout and it was pretty cool to watch Mason working the river and putting us on some fish. It was an interesting dynamic from a father/son perspective - for the first time he was the one in charge and had all the knowledge and responsibility and did all the heavy lifting while I was the one taking orders and asking what to do. Definitely one of our best family vacations.
Freakin' alsum, Clams!! Fantastic! I had just been wondering whether you had shot a bear yet or maybe if a bear ate you. Glad you made it home in one piece.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

tinnitus photography

two things.

1 - clams, bra-fucking-vo for that trip. sounds and looks incredible.

2 - how did i not know that BV and johninnorcal were the same person?!

Clams

Post by Clams »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:35 am
two things.

1 - clams, bra-fucking-vo for that trip. sounds and looks incredible.

2 - how did i not know that BV and johninnorcal were the same person?!
Bovine is one of my favorite instagrammers. He combines the outdoors, beer, music and vegetables like no one's business.