How would you feel if DBT....

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

How would you feel if DBT....

Post by chuckrh »

....started licensing songs to Madison Ave. for commercials? I bring this up because Wilco songs (with Wilco playing them) have started turning up in ads. So far Bush's Beans & Corona Beer. Corona actually got the new single that hasn't even appeared on an album yet. I wonder if they are trying to make up for lost tour income. Back to DBT, I don't think they'd do it but who knows. As much as I hate the concept of Madison Ave co-opting anything that I love I wouldn't begrudge the band trying to make a little extra cash. They certainly are road warriors & work hard.

ThatSweetSoulMusic

Re: How would you feel if DBT....

Post by ThatSweetSoulMusic »

It’s different times than it was in the 80s with Michael Jackson and Neil Young and all.
If someone wanted to use one of their songs and pay them a year’s worth of touring money, I say sell out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Show me the money!

We should remember that Cooley did sing in a commercial for a motor oil a few years back but i forget the details.

I think it's safe to say that the art v. commerce debate is over. It ended no later than when Bob Dylan could be heard (and seen, I think) in a Victoria's Secret ad. In the current circumstances, w/ revenue sources severely squeezed I don't think this is even a close question.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:46 pm
Show me the money!

We should remember that Cooley did sing in a commercial for a motor oil a few years back but i forget the details.

I think it's safe to say that the art v. commerce debate is over. It ended no later than when Bob Dylan could be heard (and seen, I think) in a Victoria's Secret ad. In the current circumstances, w/ revenue sources severely squeezed I don't think this is even a close question.

worthy of discussion though if people feel like it, i think

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

There’s no selling out, only buying in
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Flea

Post by Flea »

Whatever helps them out. It ain't like they are making Rolling Stones money.
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Personally, I’d be happy to see them make some extra dough. That said, it would definitely matter to me what product and/or company they were supporting.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

All for it. Wilco's currently shilling for Corona. No problem.
Dave

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:12 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:46 pm
Show me the money!

worthy of discussion though if people feel like it, i think
Of course. Didn't mean to imply otherwise. "Not a close question" is a figure of speech.

scotto

Post by scotto »

As long as it's not some hideous company (which I don't think they'd do anyway) I'm all for them earning some money from their wonderful songs.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Having called this "not a close question" I feel that I should also point out how much of a sea change this (I think) unanimous opinion represents from the conventional wisdom not all that long ago. Rock music just was not used in commercials. Period. Allowing your songs to be used that way was obviously, definitively a "sell out." Now that view seems archaic at best.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I'm not in favor of it but with the lack of touring revenue it's an unusual time for DBT.

If Wilco was going to do an ad for a beer I wish they had chosen a better one than the awful Corona. When I saw Wilco do an instore & signing at a Bull Moose outside Portland ME a few years back I was wearing my Surly hat. One of the band members asked me if I was from Minnesota and I said no but I visited there and my friend & I had lunch at the brewery.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Bill in CT wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:33 pm
I'm not in favor of it but with the lack of touring revenue it's an unusual time for DBT.

If Wilco was going to do an ad for a beer I wish they had chosen a better one than the awful Corona. When I saw Wilco do an instore & signing at a Bull Moose outside Portland ME a few years back I was wearing my Surly hat. One of the band members asked me if I was from Minnesota and I said no but I visited there and my friend & I had lunch at the brewery.
I'm just glad they aren't doing ads for volkswagen any more. Recently saw a documentary about how they lied on their emissions testing. They actually (slightly) gassed some people. You'd think that would be a no no with them!

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

I thought the 2 STP spots with Cooley’s voice over and the riffs from ‘Devil’ and ‘Lookout Mountain?’ Were awesome.
These guys have EARNED every damn cent they’ve made and if Madison Ave wants to use their work, more power to them.
It is called ‘Show Business’ for a reason...
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Take the money and run (Fuck Woody Allen)
Always go to the show

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Jonicont wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:29 am
Take the money and run (Fuck Woody Allen)
Steve Miller better? :lol:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

PeterG wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:49 pm
the 2 STP spots with Cooley’s voice over and the riffs from ‘Devil’ and ‘Lookout Mountain?’
Thanks for the deets.
chuckrh wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:31 pm
They actually (slightly) gassed some people. You'd think that would be a no no with them!
Repeated for emphasis.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:05 pm
Having called this "not a close question" I feel that I should also point out how much of a sea change this (I think) unanimous opinion represents from the conventional wisdom not all that long ago. Rock music just was not used in commercials. Period. Allowing your songs to be used that way was obviously, definitively a "sell out." Now that view seems archaic at best.
Yeah but that was in those crazy times when people bought albums and stuff. Instead of using streaming and the artists getting pennies in return.

Don't have a problem with the guys making money. Its only selling out if they sell to a company representing something they've consistently been opposed.

Ty Webb

Post by Ty Webb »

I'm sleeping under strange, strange skies.