50 best live records of all time

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

50 best live records of all time

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Flea

Re: 50 best live records of all time

Post by Flea »

Stand In The Fire should be top 5.
Now it's dark.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Clams wrote:Pretty good list right here

https://uproxx.com/music/best-live-albums-ranked/
no room for On Your Feet Or On Your Knees?!

blasphemy.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Just did a quick look and like the list a lot at first glance. I didn't count but I think I own a lot of these.

Suggestion: I think the convo is a lot more interesting and challenging if all proposed changes/complaints/whining are made with a suggestion for what the new nominee would replace. Right now my first two comments are just changes in order which is easier but I'll try to be specific.

Allman Bros @ Fillmore East is either #1 or #2. Vice versa w/ Royal Albert Hall so the Allmans slot in just in front or behind Dylan. I forget where he was on the list but Donny Hathaway is too high on the chart for my taste. I'd put that album back in the mid to high 30's.

Thought the Passaic show for Springsteen was a good but also interesting choice given the stiff competition. Also may want to move this higher after more thought.

I've always liked Bremen/Lausanne more than Jarrett's Koln Concert but I don't know if it's worth arguing about. Both are incredible performances.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

To me the only three in the top ten that belong there are

The Who- Live at Leeds
Talking Heads- Stop Making Sense
Allman Brothers Band- Live at Fillmore East (Should Be Higher)

These should all be top 20

Warren Zevon- Stand in the Fire 48
Wilco- Kicking Television 37
Townes Van Zandt- Live at the Old Quarter 28
MMJ- Okonokos 25
Little Feat- Waiting for Columbus 21
Neil Young- Live Rust 20
Cheap Trick- At Budokan 18
Rolling Stones- Get Your Ya Ya’s Out 16

Plus the “too cute for school” commentary the Frampton Comes Alive doesn’t even merit inclusion is ludicrous

Also I agree with Tinnitus on BoC
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Let's see...on the one hand, Aretha Live at Fillmore West is a great call!

No Elvis at the El Mocambo. Ya-Ya's instead of Love You Live? Weird. Stop Making Sense instead of The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads? I don't get that at all. No Leon Live? Lots of better Hendrix, but the guy picked a big box set. Johnny Cash at San Quentin is meaner than Folsom Prison. But no Randy Newman Live? No Elton John 17-11-70?

An okay list, but it sure isn't mine.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Let's see...on the one hand, Aretha Live at Fillmore West is a great call!

No Elvis at the El Mocambo. Ya-Ya's instead of Love You Live? Weird. Stop Making Sense instead of The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads? I don't get that at all. No Leon Live? Lots of better Hendrix, but the guy picked a big box set. Johnny Cash at San Quentin is meaner than Folsom Prison. But no Randy Newman Live? No Elton John 17-11-70?

Are you saying that Love You Live is better than Get Yer Ya-Yas Out?
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Let's see...on the one hand, Aretha Live at Fillmore West is a great call!

Love You Live over Ya Ya’s? Seriously? It’s not even close. The only use I have for Love You Live is the El Mocambo side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John A Arkansawyer

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:20 pm
John A Arkansawyer wrote:Ya-Ya's instead of Love You Live? Weird.
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:57 pm
Love You Live over Ya Ya’s? Seriously? It’s not even close. The only use I have for Love You Live is the El Mocambo side.
I'm saying the El Mocambo side alone is better than all of Ya-Yas. The other three sides are just gravy.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

We really need lists of best single and best non-single-LP live records of all time. The single LP does one thing; the ones that stretch out do another.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:20 pm
John A Arkansawyer wrote:Ya-Ya's instead of Love You Live? Weird.
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:57 pm
I'm saying the El Mocambo side alone is better than all of Ya-Yas. The other three sides are just gravy.
One good side doesn’t outweigh the fact that Get Your Ya Ya’s out is easily top 10 of all time and likely top 5. Tow words; Mick Taylor. Sorry, ain’t buying it.

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:37 am
John A Arkansawyer wrote:I'm saying the El Mocambo side alone is better than all of Ya-Yas. The other three sides are just gravy.
One good side doesn’t outweigh the fact that Get Your Ya Ya’s out is easily top 10 of all time and likely top 5. Tow words; Mick Taylor. Sorry, ain’t buying it.
If they'd caught Mick Taylor on a good night, I'd agree. He's a step above any other lead guitarist the Stones have had. Maybe two steps. I've heard several live performances from that period that kill me dead. Ya-Yas isn't one of them.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:12 pm

The Who- Live at Leeds
Royal Albert Hall does not belong in the top 10?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

The Who- Live at Leeds
Maybe. It’s a tough question. There are probably 20 truly great live records. That one is one of them but it’s awfully tough to rank those top 20. The top 10 is nearly impossible. My top five would probably be

ABB- Live at Fillmore East
Cheap Trick- Live at Budokan
Grateful Dead- Europe 72
Stones- Get Your Ya Ya’s Out
The Who- Live at Leeds

The next five get tougher but I’ll give it a go

The Band- Rock of Ages
Led Zeppelin- How the West was Won
Talking Heads- The Name of This Band
Zevon- Stand in The Fire
Wilco- Kicking Television

Again the problem here is the large number of great live records. Ranking that top twenty is nearly meaningless except for personal preference. For instance I might even argue with myself for not including TVZ-Live at the Old Quarter or Neil Young-Live Rust in the top 10. As good as Royal Albert Hall is I rarely reach for it as I consider Dylan’s studio output so good that live, even great live recordings, don’t have the same allure.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:39 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

The Who- Live at Leeds
Maybe. It’s a tough question. There are probably 20 truly great live records. That one is one of them but it’s awfully tough to rank those top 20. The top 10 is nearly impossible. My top five would probably be

Grateful Dead- Europe 72
The Who- Live at Leeds

The Band- Rock of Ages
Zevon- Stand in The Fire

Again the problem here is the large number of great live records. Ranking that top twenty is nearly meaningless except for personal preference. For instance I might even argue with myself for not including TVZ-Live at the Old Quarter or Neil Young-Live Rust in the top 10. As good as Royal Albert Hall is I rarely reach for it as I consider Dylan’s studio output so good that live, even great live recordings, don’t have the same allure.
This is truly shocking to me in a far different way than trading insults about Black & Blue. Royal Albert Hall would seem to tick all your boxes from historical importance to quality of performances to spontaneity/ live feel/interaction between singer, band and audience to Dylan & the Band being Dylan & the Band to the way the thing just crackles with excitement, energy and discovery. Play fuckin' loud, man.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: Royal Albert Hall does not belong in the top 10?

Grateful Dead- Europe 72
The Who- Live at Leeds

The Band- Rock of Ages
Zevon- Stand in The Fire

This is truly shocking to me in a far different way than trading insults about Black & Blue. Royal Albert Hall would seem to tick all your boxes from historical importance to quality of performances to spontaneity/ live feel/interaction between singer, band and audience to Dylan & the Band being Dylan & the Band to the way the thing just crackles with excitement, energy and discovery. Play fuckin' loud, man.
Come on now, Bubba. I didn’t say I dislike it and I did say it was top 20. It’s just not top 10 for me because it’s not one I necessarily reach for to the degree I listen to the others. Part of it is that I don’t own it it in vinyl. I owned it on CD (and had a bootleg on cassette long before that) but I haven’t had a CD player in 10 years and my collection hasn’t been out of its boxes in Mississippi. So all that said I probably haven’t listened to it in 15 years.considering that it’s the rarest of the rare on vinyl I’m not likely to acquire it soon. All that said, I’ll stream it on Amazon HD later today.

What I chose as my top 10 and probably three or four down the list are records I listen to no less than once a month. I think you took that as a slight and it wasn’t intended that way.

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Grateful Dead- Europe 72
The Who- Live at Leeds

The Band- Rock of Ages
Zevon- Stand in The Fire
It's hard to argue with three of those; on the other hand, I nearly died (at the age of twenty, at the hands of an angry crowd of drunken high schoolers) over Live at Budokan. This is what I'm thinking today, INPO:

The Who- Live at Leeds
Warren Zevon- Stand in The Fire
Miles Davis - Live at the Fillmore East (there might be ten Miles records deserving to be on this list, but this is the most awesomest)
Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails
Elvis Costello - Live at the El Mocambo
Bob Dylan - "Royal Albert Hall" (though if Western Electric ever gets a legit release...)
Joni Mitchell - Miles of Aisles
The Jimi Hendrix Concerts*
Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson - It's Your World

It's hard to believe I left off Leon Live and Nils Lofgren's Night After Night (which I usually like better than Neil live), or that Nina Simone record, but I did. Nighthawks at the Diner, too, and if you haven't heard Sly and the Family Stone's Woodstock set...and then there's Traffic--On The Road...

*I had the title of this wrong, I was pretty sure, so I looked it up, and I have a complaint for the Wikipedia Bullshit Department. There are two Jimi Hendrix discographies: One for his lifetime and one posthumous. This is such total bullshit. I have not seen this done to any other artist (examples welcome). And it greatly diminishes him.

If you look at the lifetime discography, you see a guy who played in a lot of good R&B bands and was involved in a lot of jam sessions, and who put out, like, three studio records and a live album on his own.

That is fucking bullshit.

There is arguably MORE prime Hendrix in the posthumous release. There is obviously much more great live Hendrix released posthumously; what people forget is how much finished or nearly finished great studio material there was. I've never thought of it this way before--dividing up somebody's discography by the sheer commercial chance of what went to market during his lifetime is neoliberal shit-think--but I just may tally up the minutes and seconds. There's not a better Hendrix song than "Room Full of Mirrors" or "In From The Storm", and "Drifter's Escape" is his best Dylan cover.

This really pisses me off. Thank god to have something relatively harmless to be pissed off about. Important? Fuck, yeah! Dangerous. Not so much.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:16 pm
Come on now, Bubba. I didn’t say I dislike it and I did say it was top 20. It’s just not top 10 for me because it’s not one I necessarily reach for to the degree I listen to the others. Part of it is that I don’t own it it in vinyl. I owned it on CD (and had a bootleg on cassette long before that) but I haven’t had a CD player in 10 years and my collection hasn’t been out of its boxes in Mississippi. So all that said I probably haven’t listened to it in 15 years.considering that it’s the rarest of the rare on vinyl I’m not likely to acquire it soon. All that said, I’ll stream it on Amazon HD later today.

What I chose as my top 10 and probably three or four down the list are records I listen to no less than once a month. I think you took that as a slight and it wasn’t intended that way.
I almost asked you if you have listened to the bootleg series "official release" of the album and it sounds like you haven't. I recommend it. Much improved sound quality compared to anything else I've heard and complete (either literally or pretty close) so it has both the acoustic and electric sets.

Normally I'd like to think I wouldn't split hairs w/ you over top 20 v. top 2 or 3 but this seems like an exception to me. It just kind of stands apart in my mind as special and unique. I agree with you that listenability (or amount of listening which i guess aren't exactly the same thing) is a different and legit way to approach this subject. Guess what? Amazingly, shockingly, we're not as far apart as it first appeared. :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I’ve heard it. I own it on CD, but I couldn’t tell you where it is or any of my CDs for that matter. Plus I have no CD player. I did listen to it on Amazon HD yesterday though and it is superb, but I never doubted that.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:48 am
I’ve heard it. I own it on CD, but I couldn’t tell you where it is or any of my CDs for that matter. Plus I have no CD player. I did listen to it on Amazon HD yesterday though and it is superb, but I never doubted that.
Totally unrelated: I have found it difficult lately to give away cd's because likely recipients don't have cd players. This is very strange to me but it is clearly the reality for more and more people. It's already been a while since I discovered that new cars no longer come w/ cd players.

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:12 am
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Totally unrelated: I have found it difficult lately to give away cd's because likely recipients don't have cd players. This is very strange to me but it is clearly the reality for more and more people. It's already been a while since I discovered that new cars no longer come w/ cd players.
Although the majority of new rental cars I've seen do appear to have them. Go figure.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:27 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Although the majority of new rental cars I've seen do appear to have them. Go figure.
That hasn't been my experience for at least the last year or more (of course the past 3 months don't count). Go figure.

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:33 am
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:27 am
beantownbubba wrote:

That hasn't been my experience for at least the last year or more (of course the past 3 months don't count). Go figure.
Possibly we get the dregs out here in Arkiesaw, but I noticed the newest ones having them where last year's didn't. But I haven't been taking notes. I could be way off.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

My car has no physical media player at all. I figured no new cars did
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

I still have a CD player as part of my home system and in my car (2014 Toyota Camry). I refuse to acknowledge the inevitable demise of the compact disc. I just bought a new laptop last week and had to purchase one of these to continue importing and burning CDs.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

cortez the killer wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:06 pm
I still have a CD player as part of my home system and in my car (2014 Toyota Camry). I refuse to acknowledge the inevitable demise of the compact disc. I just bought a new laptop last week and had to purchase one of these to continue importing and burning CDs.
I am with ya Cortez! Got a cd changer at home as part of my stereo and a 6-disc changer in my car. That is all I need really. Just wonder what I will do whenever I get a new car- get one installed? Hope to get a turntable whenever I move and actually have the space for it.

Flea

Post by Flea »

211poundsofpork wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:48 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
I am with ya Cortez! Got a cd changer at home as part of my stereo and a 6-disc changer in my car. That is all I need really. Just wonder what I will do whenever I get a new car- get one installed? Hope to get a turntable whenever I move and actually have the space for it.
I finally gave up and stopped purchasing physical media. No CD in the car I've had for a year. Home CD shit the bed. Play Station doesn't support the format. DVDs and BDs going away too. No room to expand to vinyl, nor do I wish to. It's a streaming digital world, like it or not.
Now it's dark.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Flea wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:22 pm
211poundsofpork wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:48 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
I finally gave up and stopped purchasing physical media. No CD in the car I've had for a year. Home CD shit the bed. Play Station doesn't support the format. DVDs and BDs going away too. No room to expand to vinyl, nor do I wish to. It's a streaming digital world, like it or not.
Now it's dark.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Flea wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:22 pm
No room to expand to vinyl, nor do I wish to. It's a streaming digital world, like it or not.
Right there with ya, brother.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

The one released by Hiss Golden Messenger a couple of months ago would be on my top 5 live albums list.

Also Dream Syndicate - Live at Raji’s
And Replacements - Live at Maxwell’s 1986
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa