DBT Quarantine Livestreams

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

schlanky

Re: DBT Quarantine Livestreams

Post by schlanky »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: Not sure if we're relatively close in age, but it sounds like we definitely came of age during the same era.
Wow. So many names there I remember (both drivers and tracks)---some drivers you mention I saw run and some I read about after they retired. I was born in 1969 and was going to races in early to late 1980s. Neil Bonnett also drove the 21 Purolator at points during that time. I saw Buddy Baker race. Saw Harry Gant run in the Skoal Bandit.

Last race I attended was in late 1980s and I kept up with it a few years after that to watch Davey Allison until that plane crash happened. Liked Alan Kulwicki until that plane crash happened.

Neil Bonnett was my favorite until Davey Allison came along, but I always pulled for the the Alabama Gang growing up (which should completely explain why I hated Cale Yarbrough).

I liked Earnhardt over Elliott when they were at the top.

I was no longer watching racing at the time, but turned on the TV one late Sunday afternoon and saw folks gathered around Earnhardt's car after the wreck at Daytona. I saw the replays and the speculation and kept the TV on, then we got the news.
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

schlanky wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: Not sure if we're relatively close in age, but it sounds like we definitely came of age during the same era.
Wow. So many names there I remember (both drivers and tracks)---some drivers you mention I saw run and some I read about after they retired. I was born in 1969 and was going to races in early to late 1980s. Neil Bonnett also drove the 21 Purolator at points during that time. I saw Buddy Baker race. Saw Harry Gant run in the Skoal Bandit.

Last race I attended was in late 1980s and I kept up with it a few years after that to watch Davey Allison until that plane crash happened. Liked Alan Kulwicki until that plane crash happened.

Neil Bonnett was my favorite until Davey Allison came along, but I always pulled for the the Alabama Gang growing up (which should completely explain why I hated Cale Yarbrough).

I liked Earnhardt over Elliott.

I was no longer watching racing at the time, but turned on the TV one late Sunday afternoon and saw folks gathered around Earnhardt's car after the wreck at Daytona. I saw the replays and the speculation and kept the TV on, then we got the news.
I'm 3 years older than you.

I never cared for Earnhardt or Elliot. I remember proudly cheering for Waltrip (in the #11 Bud/KFC car) at the 84 World 600 and having chicken bones thrown at me. I basked in the moment as the bones reigned down o'er me :lol:

IIRC, Davey was a helicopter crash
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I just watched Talladega Nights again on Comedy Central. That movie makes me laugh & not much does these days. Always catch something new. "We keep Pet Shop Boys & Seal on the jukebox for profiling purposes". LMFAO!

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:I just watched Talladega Nights again on Comedy Central. That movie makes me laugh & not much does these days. Always catch something new. "We keep Pet Shop Boys & Seal on the jukebox for profiling purposes". LMFAO!
Don’t you put that evil on me, chuckrh :lol:

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Yep. Davey crashed a helicopter at Talladega. That was close enough to a plane for me. My college roommate went to his funeral, but could only watch from pulling off I-20 because that was as close as he could get.

I didn't care much for Darryl Waltrip early to middle in his career, but liked him later. I remember reading articles from him about wondering why people hated him while he was so successful and he looked inward and made changes. Unlike Cale Yarbrough, I no longer remember why I didn't like Waltrip at the time. But I do remember that I did dislike him, and I remember later thinking he was all all right guy. Then he became a good commentator.
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

schlanky wrote:Yep. Davey crashed a helicopter at Talladega. That was close enough to a plane for me. My college roommate went to his funeral, but could only watch from pulling off I-20 because that was as close as he could get.

I didn't care much for Darryl Waltrip early to middle in his career, but liked him later. I remember reading articles from him about wondering why people hated him while he was so successful and he looked inward and made changes. Unlike Cale Yarbrough, I no longer remember why I didn't like Waltrip at the time. But I do remember that I did dislike him, and I remember later thinking he was all all right guy. Then he became a good commentator.
I think the primary reason I liked Waltrip was that all the necks hated him. He was the perfect heel, kind of a NASCAR Nature Boy

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
I think the primary reason I liked Waltrip was that all the necks hated him.
That's likely my reason for liking Kulwicki. He didn't fit the script.
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:NASCAR Nature Boy
Wooo!

In your earlier post, when you mentioned Hueytown, I knew we were from the same era. The only folks who know that town name are folks who followed racing when the Alabama Gang was running. I'm 20 miles from there and the only association anybody would know for Hueytown is the Allison family.
Let the outside air in

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Red Farmer still races occasionally at the Talladega Short Track. He's like 90 years old.

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:I just watched Talladega Nights again on Comedy Central. That movie makes me laugh & not much does these days. Always catch something new. "We keep Pet Shop Boys & Seal on the jukebox for profiling purposes". LMFAO!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

You folks do realize that this is just the kinda stuff people imagine when they hear the words "drive by truckers" and "southern" and run screaming in the other direction, dontcha? ;) :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:You folks do realize that this is just the kinda stuff people imagine when they hear the words "drive by truckers" and "southern" and run screaming in the other direction, dontcha? ;) :)
Ha, I’m starting to see why “Daddy’s Cup” is so highly coveted ‘round these parts despite not really being a top-tier Cooley song for me, personally. Glad I finally got to see it, though. And glad it kindles such fond recollections for all you Heathens. Keep em coming!
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

beantownbubba wrote:You folks do realize that this is just the kinda stuff people imagine when they hear the words "drive by truckers" and "southern" and run screaming in the other direction, dontcha? ;) :)
I almost had BTB sucked in with talk about boobies and we had to go run him off again.
Last edited by schlanky on Sun May 10, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the outside air in

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

jr29 wrote:Red Farmer still races occasionally at the Talladega Short Track. He's like 90 years old.
I'm assuming you've read this, but if not, it's good:

https://bittersoutherner.com/red-farmer ... rijgi2ZMSI
Let the outside air in

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

schlanky wrote:
jr29 wrote:Red Farmer still races occasionally at the Talladega Short Track. He's like 90 years old.

Thanks schlanky. Good read.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Glad I popped in here to read everyone's reactions to the stream. If The Cooleys do another one I hope they are able to fix the choppiness of the video.

I was just starting to get fucked up when it ended but Cooley's fingerpicking on Women Without Whiskey, the version of Uncle Frank with a different arrangement and you know Daddy's Cup is why you always go to the show / stay for the stream!
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

schlanky wrote:
I almost had BTB sucked in with talk about boobies and we had to go run him off again.
Exactly what I was thinking!! More boobies, less iron please.

In the expert opinion of this group will car racing retain its appeal when the cars are all electric?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

I dunno. Reading this thread is the first time I've started to understand the appeal of car racing.

(It's the boobies, right?)

jr29

Post by jr29 »

schlanky wrote:

That's great. My one quibble is that the description of dirt late models makes them sound like some backyard duct tape and glue contraption. They are highly sophisticated, purpose built cars.
I've seen Red race a couple times. He's such a legend it was kinda surreal the first time I saw him walking around in the pits.
Those guys were extreme, hardcore racers. Bobby Allison kept racing at local short tracks all over the country even when he was at the height of his NASCAR career. He built the cars and raced them. By most all accounts he was a mechanical genius. There were things he discovered with the setup of a front end that revolutionized stock cars.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

beantownbubba wrote:
schlanky wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking!! More boobies, less iron please.

In the expert opinion of this group will car racing retain its appeal when the cars are all electric?
That's a great question and I've thought about it a lot.
My short answer is that I don't know but there will always be some appeal. Trying to get your car to go faster than someone else's will always appeal to some folks.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Request deadline tomorrow (Tuesday the 12th) at 9 pm ET.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:Request deadline tomorrow (Tuesday the 12th) at 9 pm ET.
where does one lodge their request?

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Email to PHrequestshow [at] gmail

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

guitarmanmcs wrote:
Jonicont wrote:Patterson’s next show is May 13
Links so we can sign up?
Good question.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:
Email to PHrequestshow [at] gmail
thank you!

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

LBRod wrote:
guitarmanmcs wrote:
Jonicont wrote:Patterson’s next show is May 13
Links so we can sign up?
Good question.
Here's the page with all the information.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Here's a link to Cooley's show. According to Noonchorus, it's unclipped.

https://vimeo.com/416721065/c4dbec460c
Dave

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Vincent wrote:Here's a link to Cooley's show. According to Noonchorus, it's unclipped.

Sweet. It does seem to be unclipped!
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Vincent wrote:Here's a link to Cooley's show. According to Noonchorus, it's unclipped.

Thanks for this.

I have a weird love/hate relationship with Cooley's acoustic versions of his songs. Some are really awesome, and others are weird and off-putting. I'm sure that's just me....
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Zip City wrote:

Thanks for this.

I have a weird love/hate relationship with Cooley's acoustic versions of his songs. Some are really awesome, and others are weird and off-putting. I'm sure that's just me....
Zip....you have a love/hate relationship with everything. :D
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

pearlbeer wrote:
Zip City wrote:

Thanks for this.

Zip....you have a love/hate relationship with everything. :D
Sorry, I've never been in the "artist X can fart into a microphone and I'd give it 5 stars" camp
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever