Guided by Voices/Robert Pollard

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: Guided by Voices/Robert Pollard

Post by cortez the killer »

Act III - All Salute the Fading Captain
1. Sad If I Lost It
2. I Am A Tree
3. Not Behind The Fighter Jet
4. The Finest Joke Upon Us
5. James Riot
6. Teenage FBI
7. Surgical Focus
8. Titus And Strident Wet Nurse (Creating Jeffrey)
9. Fair Touching
10. Chasing Heather Crazy
11. Twilight Campfighter
12. The Enemy
13. Glad Girls
14. Brides Have Hit Glass
15. Christian Animation Torch Carriers
16. Cheyenne
17. Back to the Lake
18. Storm Vibrations
19. Everywhere With Helicopter
20. My Kind Of Soldier
21. The Best Of Jill Hives
22. Secret Star
23. Everyone Thinks I’m A Raincloud (When I’m Not Looking)
24. Girls Of Wild Strawberries
25. Huffman Prairie Flying Field

Hi-fi Era GBV sampler (1997-2004)
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Act IV - We're Putting the Band Back Together
1. Laundry and Lasers
2. Spiderfighter
3. Waves
4. Class Clown Spots a UFO
5. Keep It In Motion
6. Billy Wire
7. Starfire
8. Jon the Croc
9. No Transmission
10. King Arthur The Red
11. Hangover Child
12. Waving At Airplanes
13. White Flag
14. Waking Up The Stars
15. Everywhere Is Miles From Everywhere
16. Island (She Talks in Rainbows)
17. Crybaby 4-Star Hotel
18. Flunky Minnows
19. Planet Score
20. Vote for Me Dummy
21. Alex and the Omegas
22. Authoritarian Zoo
23. All American Boy
24. Males of Wormwood Mars
25. Cool Planet

Classic lineup reunion GBV sampler (2012-2014)
- DPM

cortez the killer

Act V - Keep It in Motion
1. My Zodiac Companion
2. Dr. Feelgood Falls off the Ocean
3. Amusement Park Is Over
4. Steppenwolf Mausoleum
5. Diver Dan
6. Low Flying Perfection
7. Just to Show You
8. Space Gun
9. Colonel Paper
10. Ark Technician
11. Liar's Box
12. Sport Component National
13. Grey Spat Matters
14. Send in the Suicide Squad
15. Your Lights Are Out
16. The Rally Boys
17. Cohesive Scoops
18. Cool Jewels and Aprons
19. End It with Light
20. Heavy Like the World
21. The Very Second
22. Sons of the Beard
23. Year of the Hard Hitter
24. Physician
25. Always Gone

New Golden Age of GBV sampler (2016-present)
- DPM

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

fantastic look back at Alien Lanes. great read.

https://uproxx.com/indie/guided-by-voic ... niversary/

cortez the killer

tinnitus photography wrote:fantastic look back at Alien Lanes. great read.

https://uproxx.com/indie/guided-by-voic ... niversary/
Excellent read.
I thought Alien Lanes was the name of a bowling alley in a town called Wapokeneta, 50 miles north of Dayton. But I went up later and found out it was called Astro Lanes. It’s the birthplace of Neil Armstrong and the bowling alley is right across from the aerospace museum. You can see them both off of I-75. I liked the imagery of a spherical object, like the moon or Earth knocking down pins, and that we were knocking down hit after hit with Alien Lanes.
- Pollard
I wanted Alien Lanes to sound like a late-night radio show without a DJ. I wanted Bee Thousand to sound like a bootleg of Beatles outtakes. For as confused as I was back then, I was actually pretty focused on the confusion I wanted.
- Pollard
There was also an inevitable confrontation [in '94 during the Lollapalooza Festival] with one of the tour’s biggest stars: Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins.

Sprout: He had a basketball net that he took with him on tour and I threw it on top of the bus. I guess he was a big player. Bob and Jim were both big basketball players in school so they played him and I think it got a little bit rough at a point. Billy grabbed his net and tore off.
Sprout: I think Propeller launched us. Bee Thousand got us a little more recognized. Then this one was the followup. It had to be at least as good and I think it is. Maybe even better.
:o
I love Alien Lanes, but there were people saying, “OK, enough lo-fi. Now let’s see what you can do in a big studio.” And then when we started making records with better production there were people saying, “No man, we wanna hear those noisy, short lo-fi songs.” Alien Lanes and the people associated with it gave me the confidence and drive to continue. To keep writing and recording songs and making records. Some people think too many. But that’s not gonna stop me!
- Pollard
- DPM

tinnitus photography

haha i read that line and laughed. i don't think he's right, but then again Toby "MAGA" Sprout has other opinions i disagree with as well.

cortez the killer

tinnitus photography wrote:haha i read that line and laughed. i don't think he's right, but then again Toby "MAGA" Sprout has other opinions i disagree with as well.
Political leanings aside, hard to argue with one of the key band members who was there. Bee Thousand is the undisputed watershed GBV album. Propeller, as Tobin says, launched them and opened the eyes of some influential people outside of Dayton, Ohio. I'm not sure we get Bee Thousand without Propeller and the buzz it started.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

cortez the killer wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:haha i read that line and laughed. i don't think he's right, but then again Toby "MAGA" Sprout has other opinions i disagree with as well.
Political leanings aside, hard to argue with one of the key band members who was there. Bee Thousand is the undisputed watershed GBV album. Propeller, as Tobin says, launched them and opened the eyes of some influential people outside of Dayton, Ohio. I'm not sure we get Bee Thousand without Propeller and the buzz it started.
if you wanna argue the definition of 'launch,' i've got better things to do. maybe i'll shoot a PM to one of the Dayton mafia and have them pose the question to Bob.

cortez the killer

Appreciate the offer, but I’m all set.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

serious question -

can a record with a total pressing size of 500 actually 'launch' a band?

I mean, copies were still available two records and two years later (i'm 99% sure that B1000 was my first GBV record and i grabbed the rest of them around that time). there is no question that some of the right people first heard GBV via Propeller and it led to bigger things down the road, but i still stand by my position.

cortez the killer

Solo Pollard? Why the fuck not?
- DPM

cortez the killer

Not in My Airforce (1996)
It’s never a good sign for the band when individual members start releasing solo albums. In between the release of Under the Bushes Under the Stars and the Plantations of Pale Pink EP, comes Pollard’s first solo project. Interestingly enough, his soon to be former bandmate, Tobin Sprout, also released his debut solo LP, Carnival Boy, on the same day as Not in My Airforce. Soon after both solo LPs were released, the classic GBV lineup dissolved. Pollard kept the GBV brand alive, but with members of the band Cobra Verde. Despite the lineup shakeup, much of Bob’s debut solo record sounds a lot like Guided By Voices. In fact, several of the tracks on the record were slated for GBV albums, both released and aborted. The album stays true to Pollard’s lo-fi roots, with acoustic tracks, mid-tempo jangle pop and those signature snippet songs that populated the crown jewels Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes. Not in My Airforce serves as a further reminder to the incredibly fertile run Pollard was on in the mid-90s.

1. Maggie Turns to Flies – After some ultra lo-fi percussion and what sounds like backward looped noise, this track explodes into a propulsive mid-tempo anthem. “Lies won't change a friend so wise. Tradewinds blow where maggots turn to flies. What a better life!” (10)
2. Quicksilver – Lo-fi acoustic snippet that would’ve fit comfortably on Bee Thousand. Trademark Pollard. (7)
3. A Girl Named Captain – Tinny, echo-y drums give way to a fuzzy, slightly-distorted wall of sound. Bob’s vocals are a bit buried in the mix, but he is belting this one out. “Open arms are teasing back for a second squeezing. I'm crawling back to you now.” (8)
4. Get Under It – Get some “Ooooooh-oooh-oohs” worked into the lyrics. This is a nice mid-tempo chugger that builds into a song that would’ve fit in perfectly on Under the Bushes Under the Stars. “The devil inside is never surprised. It's always on top of matters at hand.” (8)
5. Release the Sunbird – A little more somber than the previous four tracks. Some great acoustic guitar and what sounds like some lo-fi shoegaze drone for a haunting effect. “Falling in an arc from an open wrist, and time can only free you. When she's gone, she is dead - she is dead. And now she's dead!” (9)
6. John Strange School – Trippy, distorted song snippet that further develops the funereal vibe brought on by the previous track. (6)
7. Parakeet Troopers – Going back to that basement sound of those 80s recordings. Sounds like much of the material that would be rolled out in a few years on the Suitcase series. (3)
8. One Clear Minute – Another catchy snippet that sounds like a Bee Thousand/Aliens Lanes outtake. (6)
9. Chance to Buy an Island – Would’ve found a nice home on 1989’s Self-Inflicted Aerial Nostalgia. Slowed down chainsaw electric guitars. “Can I offer you a find? Can I oil your rusty mind?” (6)
10. I’ve Owned You for Centuries – This one builds nicely and features some great melodies. Might’ve served as the blueprint for August By Cake’s “Amusement Park Is Over”. (7.5)
11. The Ash Gray Proclamation – Dueling powerfully-strummed acoustic guitars that are perfectly out of tune. Some great rhymes delivered expertly by Bob. “And fate grabbed Applehead from his king-size waterbed. And Queen Cigarette pronounced him dead, so she could free them.” (9)
12. Flat Beauty – One of Pollard’s best songs of all-time pops up at track #12 on his debut solo album. Such a perfect mid-tempo, melancholic power pop anthem. When it all comes together like it does here, it’s pure aural bliss. The pacing of this song is otherworldly. “So I'll cause you less pain tonight. Don't need much more. No, really, it's alright. I'll open up real wide before I get along.” (11)
13. King of Arthur Avenue – Another bittersweet acoustic ballad. And then, out of nowhere, it rocks for approximately ten seconds, goes back to being and acoustic ballad before it rocks out for five seconds to conclude. (6)
14. Roofer’s Union Fight Song – Tobin Sprout makes an appearance providing backing vocals on this short, acoustic gem. Album title gets belted out in the lyrics. Love the guitar work here. “Only "No Ones" get through the gate... Not in my airforce.” (6.5)
15. Psychic Pilot Clocks Out – Intro is a distorted, lo-fi psych arrangement that gives way to a great mid-tempo jangly song. Another epic builder with soaring choruses. Can’t get enough of that guitar tone. Truly a majestic track. “Service time is lonely. Live it up before you pass away. I feel life passing on by us...” (10)
16. Prom Is Coming – Primitive guitar strumming. Slightly off key vocals. An interesting choice to place this after the epic classic that precedes it. (2)
17. Party – We now get into the closing section of the LP that plays a bit like the second side of Abbey Road with a medley of song fragments edited together to form a single piece. First up is a pleasant acoustic snippet with some in-a-well Bob vox. (6)
18. Did It Play? – Another acoustic snippet. This one is a little more fleshed out than the previous one. Get some double-tracked vocals, too. (7)
19. Double Standards Inc. – Has a bit of a Middle Eastern flair to it. Vocals cut in and out. Super rough demo skeleton of a song. Absolutely something that we would get down the road on the Suitcases. (3)
20. Punk Rock Gods – More double-tracked vox on a simple lo-fi acoustic snippet. (5)
21. Meet My Team – Some chord changes and a bit more sophistication. Another strong, double-tracked Bob vocal. “Want some? Get some. Wake up and meet my team.” (6)
22. Good Luck Sailor – The final lo-fi acoustic snippet in the medley fits the same Suitcase/demo aesthetic of the previous five. And with that, Pollard’s first solo album is in the books. (5)
- DPM

cortez the killer

Doug "Motherfuckin'" Gillard
- DPM

cortez the killer

Waved Out (1998)

This is Pollard’s second, and final, solo record released on Matador. The following year GBV signed with TVT Records and Bob launched the Fading Captain Series to release his own solo and collaborative side projects. Like he did on Not in My Airforce, Pollard plays most of the instruments himself. Jim MacPherson, who was the GBV drummer at the time, lent a helping hand on a number of tracks. Tobin Sprout also makes a couple of appearances, and current GBV lead guitarist, Doug Gillard, chips in on a track, too. There is a Sgt. Pepper’s/White Album psychedelic, experimental influence that runs through the record. Pollard also uses some really cool spacey synths to add color and texture to incredible effect on a few of the tracks. Whereas the previous solo album was mostly a lo-fi affair, this LP features a range of fidelity and was recorded both in a professional studio as well as using 8-track and other home recording techniques. In addition to the fidelity variations, there’s also a bit of a disjointed flow to the sequencing that makes the listening experience a bit more challenging. However, there are some of Bob’s best songs on here, making it a solo album worth seeking out.

1. Make Use – Album comes charging out of the gate with this lurching anthem. Feels like you are riding a musical wave. A relentless 3:16 assault. That spacey synth that comes in at the 2:13 mark = HOLY SHIT!!! What a wonderful accent that takes a great song to a whole other level. “In spurts of majestical will power, impractical thinkers design the dream. These beast-like invincible machines, 100 jags in the road.” (10)
2. Vibrations in the Woods – Back to the lo-fi world of 4-track cassette machines we go. This short song barely registers over a minute and brings to mind the kind of songs that made up the many EPs Pollard and GBV released a few years ago. (4)
3. Just Say the Word – We stay in the basement for another track. Pollard’s vocal delivery stripped of any trace of melody and filtered through some muddy effects. A cold & brittle lo-fi song that somehow gets stretched out to three minutes. (4)
4. Subspace Biographies – Sweet Mary Joseph! Simple guitar line explodes into an epic, pop-prog classic. The synth returns adding incredible atmosphere to the track. Easily a Top 10 Pollard track of all-time for me. Hooks everywhere, soaring chorus and oozing that sad but defiant Bob conveys so well. Guitar tone is the shit. “I am quail and quasar. I picked you up on radar. I do my job each day, empties crushed and fired away. And there is nothing worse than an undetermined person. Can I abuse you please, in my subspace biographies?” (11)
5. Caught Waves Again – Any momentum or energy developed on the previous track is quickly extinguished on this sparse, lo-fi acoustic home recording. Guitar and co-writing credit attributed to Doug Gillard. This rough demo is an okay song, it just really gets exposed coming in the wake of “Subspace Biographies”. (3)
6. Waved Out - Title track clocking in at a mere 1:15, but it certainly makes an impression. Fantastic lo-fi garage rocker from an alternate universe. “Forgive me, I must go. I’ve been waved out.” (8)
7. Whiskey Ships – Contains those classic, chugging GBV guitars. Sounds like a lost outtake from the early period of the band. (7)
8. Wrinkled Ghost – Kind of a hushed, subdued mid-tempo track that has a Not in My Airforce feel to it. Dripping with melancholy, this contains some excellent lyrics. Old bandmate, Tobin Sprout, provides some high hat and piano. “Some guys have very sharp eyes and some are simply hiding. And some might testify to the best of worlds colliding.” (9)
9. Artificial Light – Side one closes with another lo-fi acoustic snippet. Solid vocal performance by Bob, but this song hardly leaves an impression, either positive or negative. (4)
10. People Are Leaving – This Beatlesesque track is one of the more interesting and unique songs in Pollard’s catalog. Bob simultaneously talk-singing multiple verses creating a dual melody effect. All instrumentation (strings, mellotrons) provided by Stephanie Sayers, who used to be GBV biographer and one-time bassist, Jim Greer's, girlfriend. So sad, yet so beautiful. “We’ll all rise above the depression. The angels are making new circles - a gift to every naked fat baby.” (10)
11. Steeple of Knives – Bob fucking with the listener with his sequencing. As you wipe the tear from you eye, caused by “People Are Leaving”, you get knocked upside the head by this hard rocking song that sounds like early period GBV. (6)
12. Rumbling Joker – A dirgey song to knock the energy back down again. Some spooky reverbing noise throughout. Sounds a bit like a ghost. Bob is doubled-tracked and once again harmonizing with himself. “May we always cry; May we drink them dry; May we wake up small and pale. Asking very good questions, justifying an existence, in the belly of the whale.” (5.5)
13. Showbiz Opera Walrus – A super slowed-down waltz that borrows from The Beatles “Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite”. Bob throws out a “people are leaving” in the lyrics. Bob adopting a Captain Beefheart-type persona in his vocal performance. This sounds like it’s from some acid fest circus. I hated it the first few times I heard it, but it’s starting to grow on me and I appreciate it for what it is. (5)
14. Pick Seeds From My Skull – Final snippet on the album starts out with some droning noise until a nicely-strummed acoustic guitar comes in. Sounds like a children’s choir is double-tracked with Bob’s vocals and it just barely behind him, giving it a cool, haunting effect. If you blink, you might miss this one, and you don’t want to do that. (7)
15. Second Step Next Language – Experimental ambient music piece that is a bit all over the place. It’s also the longest track on the record (4:35). Super lo-fi recording with Bob’s vocals sounding like they’re coming at you from a transistor radio. I thought “Showbiz Opera Walrus” was the most avant-garde song on the album. I was wrong. Middle section is saturated in feedback. Major White Album vibe going on here. (6)
- DPM

cortez the killer

Live @ Bob's 2007 50th birthday bash
- DPM

cortez the killer

Kid Marine (1999)

#1 in the Fading Captain Series. In the past, Bob was known to “shitcan” albums he was working on, moving onto another project instead. Now that he had the freedom and flexibility with the Fading Captain Series, there was no longer a need to shitcan material. In 1999 alone, Pollard released three new LPs (Kid Marine, Speak Kindly of Your Volunteer Fire Department, Do the Collapse), an EP (Ask Them by Lexo and the Leapers), a compilation (In Shop We Build Electric Chairs: Professional Music by Nightwalker 1984-1993) and a trio of singles (“Surgical Focus”, “Teenage FBI” and “Hold on Hope”). Kid Marine is a quasi-rock opera about a drunken war veteran in Ohio, Jeff “Kid Marine” Davis. In an interview with Mojo, Pollard commented on the album:
My personal favorite: a weird record, almost a concept album, about the typical Ohio male and what he does - drink, watch television, eat pizza. It got mixed reviews; there are people who hate it and others who think it's our best record and I'm on their side. I just love the songs. It feels like one piece, like it all fits together. I like the cover and I like the whole package.
There’s an honest, Midwestern blue-collar theme that runs throughout the record, starting with the excellent cover photo and fantastic lyrics like “Great days are becoming a matchlight liquor establishment where the factory soaks its scabs.” The majority of the songs are Pollard-penned poetry that were later set to music. Many fans and critics point to this album as where there was a noticeable shift in Bob’s style and songwriting. On Kid Marine, Pollard largely eschews those trademark hooks in favor of more esoteric songwriting. There’s also a subtle droning sound that lies underneath much of the record, providing a mysterious vibe and tying it together. The album was recorded and mixed in five days, with most of the tracks engineered by John Shough at Cro-Magnon Studios in Dayton, OH. A couple of the lo-fi tracks done in Greg Demos’ basement, and the fabulous “Powerblessings” was recorded in Tobin Sprout’s basement. Pollard played all the guitars for the album, with Jim Macpherson back on the drums and former GBV member, Greg Demos, playing bass. This album didn't immediately grab me. I was introduced to it more from the perspective of cherry-picking some of the tracks for a variety of Pollard mix-tapes and playlists ("Submarine Teams", "Powerblessings" and "White Gloves Come Off"). When I made the commitment to go deep down the Pollard rabbit hole I really got to appreciate what a great record this is. The individual tracks are good to great, with a couple of okay ones thrown in. But this is truly an album where the adage "The Whole is Greater than the Sum of its Parts" is a fitting descriptor.

1. Submarine Teams – Opens with a bizarre tremolo voice effect that maintains throughout the entire song. I wonder if Jim Pollard pounded on Bob’s back as he did on Alien Lanes’ “Chicken Blows” to achieve this effect. Either way, this track absolutely soars and features some incredible, double-tracked guitar work. For the third consecutive solo project, Bob knocks it out of the park with the opener. Fantastic acoustic guitar outro. “Shocked by a whaling umpire’s trumpet, the starter gargles the salt brine. The stoned nation’s rolling eyelids. The moments of gory league highlights.” (10)
2. Flings of the Waistcoat Crowd – Fidelity drops a notch on this excellent sparse, acoustic track. Another fantastic vocal performance from Bob. Recorded onto an 8-track in Greg Demos’ basement. “Great days are becoming a matchlight liquor establishment where the factory soaks its scabs. It hangs there like insectrocutioner.” (9)
3. The Big Make-Over – Love that guitar riff that repeats throughout the track. This one chugs right along with another great Pollard vocal melody. “Pull into the station. Gotta get gassed, for the opening of the new highway.” (8)
4. Men Who Create Fright – A nervous, frantically played fiddle in the background always reminds me of the opening to The Tubes “She’s a Beauty”. Pollard starts out with his vocals all reverbed. Songs drifts a bit aimlessly until that buzzing guitar comes in at the fifty second mark, transforming the track into something that would excite GBV fans from that magical Under the Bushes Under the Stars period. Settles back into a similar spot it began in during the outro. “When you exist, are you observable? When you resist, are you approachable? When you pretend, are you unreadable?” (8)
5. Television Prison – Loud, crude garage rocker with some Devo-inspired energy. Bob’s wife at the time, Kim Pollard, supplies the blood-curdling scream. Pollard channels his inner rock god on the guitar solo to close the song. (7)
6. Strictly Comedy – Bob’s vocals buried deep in the mix. Some cool-sounding keyboards holding this one together. “A world coming up for air that one should even care? Created for infatuation, dig the accompanying play, right? Uptight.” (8)
7. Far-Out Crops – Takes a little bit to get going. Bob slowly spitting out lyrics in a deep voice. Occasionally a guitar is lightly strummed. Then that electric guitar riff appears, and this one really takes off. Chainsaw guitars buzzing away. We get some falsetto Pollard during the chorus. Back to acoustic strumming during the outro. Bob still belting out those falsetto vocals till his voice seems to give out. “Single-minded erections, not so observable from the inside. You must listen. You must look.” (10)
8. Living Upside Down – Repetitive, pulsing guitar and synth washes go on with Pollard’s vocals way back in the mix. Shifts a bit at the 1:15 with an additional guitar part coming into the mix, but this track never really goes anywhere. My least favorite song on the record. (4)
9. Snatch Candy – Guitar effects sound a bit like Radiohead’s “Creep”. Has a bit of a Dinosaur Jr. vibe to it as well. Guitar sounds slow and heavy, almost like it is about to fall apart. Name checks “Flings of the Waistcoat Crowd” in the lyrics. Bob’s vocals filled with melancholy. Those great keyboards from “Strictly Comedy” make a welcome reappearance. “Dead father-type husbands have given them a world. A care-free world, sugarless.” (9)
10. White Gloves Come Off – Another great acoustic ballad buoyed by that keyboard (I think) that seems to bubble underneath many of the tracks here. It sort of blends into the background, but if you really listen, you can hear it. Creates a nice eerie vibe that weaves throughout the album. Love those Ooooooooooooo-ooooo-ooooo-ooo’s during the outro. “A pink clock becomes blurred - white gloves come off. Titled cubicles galvanized - white gloves come off. Shocker breath & television woman - white gloves come off.” (9)
11. Enjoy Jerusalem! – Gloomy, hypnotic song that sort of sounds like it was made to sound like a ticking grandfather clock. That noise I mention above still bubbling underneath. The electric guitar that slinks in during the later section has a similar tone to the one on “The Big Make-Over”. (6)
12. You Can’t Hold Your Women – Some of us get accused, rightfully so in many situations, of not being able to hold our liquor. I suppose this twist on the old adage also has merit in a lot of situations. Begins with a peppy piano part that just can’t seem to hold together. Some pulsating soft guitar strums eventually morph into an up-tempo, hard-charging rocker. The chainsaw guitars eventually give way to a brief blast of feedback and the track just cuts out. “You, the creator of self pain, in the house you built on stilts, above the crashing waves. Psychic realtor.” (7)
13. Town of Mirrors – Starts out slow and somewhat solemn with troubadour Bob playfully working his way through the lyrics. Just after a minute and a half of this exercise, the song takes a dramatic shift with Bob singing a cappella “Oh, alright” a couple of times before the band charges in. From there, Bob yells “Mutilation!” over and over. That eerie noise that’s been bubbling underneath much of the album gets louder and louder before completely drowning out the song. "In the town of mirrors, I’ll try to put on my proper playing clothes. I wanna see the magic. You are the first one I chose." (9)
14. Powerblessings - Really neat cross-fade of the droning noise from the previous track into the beginning of this one. Recorded in Tobin Sprout’s basement onto his 8-track, this is the best song on the album. That muted, fuzzy guitar and Sprout-played keys create such a wonderful atmosphere on this track. It’s like a tiny light is mustering all it can to break through the heavy fog. Pollard’s vocals are a bit softer and deeper in the mix, but still retain a tremendous amount of power. “And have you no horse to carry you through December? Get it somehow tediously broken, breathing summer into faces of life and into everyman’s gift going through. Powerblessings to you and all of you.” (10)
15. Island Crimes – Tracks opens with Pollard, sounding a lot like Roger Daltrey in some of the shouted lines that make appearances throughout Quadrophenia, calling out, “What’s that voice I hear? Can you hear it, Kid Marine?” The guitar part during the opening is identical to the guitar outro on the record’s first track, “Submarine Teams”. This is a dramatic, ruminative rock opera kind of song to end the album. “Anyone can finger a target, frame a brick sky and be off. An assignment of models and also atrocities, believe in me as I see you.” (8)
- DPM

cortez the killer

Unofficial, fan-made music video for "Far-Out Crops"
- DPM

cortez the killer

The Who Went Home and Cried documentary

Some cool footage of Bob and the band rehearsing a number of the Kid Marine tracks on his front porch.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Speak Kindly of Your Volunteer Fire Department (1999)

#4 in the Fading Captain Series. Is it a solo album or a collaboration? I’m sure tinnitus will sick the Dayton Mafia on me for calling this a Pollard solo album, but that’s a risk I am willing to take. Joined by GBV bandmate Doug Gillard, Bob released his second solo project of 1999 and fourth overall. Speak Kindly of Your Volunteer Fire Department is a “postal album” in that the songs were written by Pollard and sent to Gillard where he recorded all the instrumental parts on cassette four-track. Those tracks were shipped back to Bob where he laid down the vocals at Cro Mag Studio in Dayton, with John Shough once again engineering the project. I’m far from an expert on the recording process, nor am I an audiophile. However, I cannot believe that an album recorded in such a lo-fi manner (4-track cassette) can sound so fucking incredible. Not only is this LP superior to the GBV one released three months earlier (Do the Collapse), it’s better than the majority of the GBV catalog. Bob’s songwriting and vocal performances rank among the best he’s ever done and Doug Gillard’s playing is simply incredible. Pollard fatigue was beginning to set in among critics and fans, so the record did not receive the type of high praise it should have upon its initial release. But, for my money, this is an essential Bob album and easily one of the best things he has ever released. It’s also the first Pollard album I really connected with, so I’m sure that boosts the album’s profile in my eyes.

1. Frequent Weaver Who Burns – In a catalog full of them, this is such a great song title. What is a frequent weaver who burns? Is it a pot-smoking rug-maker? Is it self-referential in that he weaves countless songs and albums and refuses to stop, choosing to go the burn out rather than fade away route? Either way, from the opening acoustic guitar riff, I’m hooked. Those hooks and melodies that were largely absent on Kid Marine are back, baby! Gillard’s drumming on the outro deserves a mention. “Clipped at the hip peg-legged and cracked, expressing trivial concern. And then I long. I’m the frequent weaver who burns.” (10)
2. Soul Train College Policeman – Another hall-of-fame song title. Cymbal crash gives way to a spacey synth blast. A simple guitar and an ominous-sounding Pollard eventually bring us to a fist-pumping chorus. “Baby stay shaking, laughing and baking. Post-Christmas cupcake hand-grenades.” (9)
3. Pop Zeus – Hard-charging blast of Pollard’s unique brand of power pop. This track is an absolute WINNER! One of my early favorites in his vast catalog. So hard to resist this nugget. Brings me great joy every time I hear it. Incredible, engaged vocal performance to match the high-energy guitar lines Gillard lays down. “He who shits out magic may shine. For the good of a customs and calling, call him Max. Send him a fax. Charge him no tax. Pop Zeus!” (11)
4. Slick as Snails – Oof! This one smacks hard. Soaring arena rocker that never fails to fire me up. Just love the way Pollard stretches out those words. Really hamming up that British accent, too. Gillard drops a WICKED guitar solo on us. “The imprint where you sat, dig the ripples caused by that. I can ride them out.” (11)
5. Do Something Real – Starts out sounding like a post-punk track, before dialing up some hooks and settling into more of a pop groove. Appeared on the soundtrack to Steven Soderbergh’s 2002 film, Full Frontal. “You’ll die or you won’t. You try or you don’t. Do something real…” (8)
6. Port Authority – Longest track on the album (4:05) starts out as a moody, sparse song with some interesting synth sounds splashed in. It builds perfectly from there. However, instead of a bombastic, climactic conclusion it seems to be destined for, we get the Fading Captain treatment and the song disappears into the void. Gillard proves himself to be quite the capable drummer, too. “Miracle girls, commercially perfect, excel at Port Authority. Shall I run out to meet your hopes of liquor, tobacco & chocolate? Up on chalkleg mirror mountain, subtle and juicy.” (9)
7. Soft Smoke – We get our first snippet of the album. This is an acoustic track with Pollard spitting some absurdist poetic lyrics. “Thick miracles evaporate fast. This is the land of soft smoke.” (6)
8. Same Things – Previous track is cross-faded into this one. Other than the fact that it’s listed as such on the track listing, you wouldn’t know that it’s a different song. Bob’s vocals are double-tracked and given the echo-effect treatment. Carries an ominous, proggy vibe. (6)
9. And I Don’t (So Now I Do) – Similar chord progression and sound as the opening track, “Frequent Weaver Who Burns”. Hits all the same sweet spots those mid-tempo GBV classics do. Some excellent, harmonic “Ohhhhs” and Ahhhhs” thrown in there for perfectly creamy effect. More top-notch Gillard guitar work. “A panoramic expo. Hey, give me a ballpark estimate. I don’t drive a good car or a bargain, so now I do.” (10)
10. Tight Globes – Starts out a bit restrained until it morphs into a full-blown, Who-worthy, fist-pumping anthem. That awesome spacey synth blast from Waved Out’s “Subspace Biographies” returns to add texture and volume to Gillard’s incredible laser-sharp guitar solo. Thirsty Bob loves him some hot blondes and their tight globes. “Blonde machine in yellow spacecar, zip your legs in smooth rubber. You pass me and harass me. #1 is on the run…” (11)
11. I Get Rid of You – Another sludgy, moody track with a strong prog vibe. More spacey synth blasts. My least favorite track on the record. (4)
12. Life Is Beautiful – Lo-fi acoustic ballad. Sounds like a demo. Better suited for the upcoming Suitcase project than a proper album. The album is starting to drag a bit now. (4)
13. Messiahs – Such a cool sounding guitar part throughout. Can’t tell how Doug gets that effect. Is it some pedal-affected slide guitar? Either way, I dig it a lot. “I like it out there. The timeclock kills must be the iron wills of future kings who ride their ships through fast atmospheres.” (7)
14. Larger Massachusetts – Shout out to my home state! Starts out with that late-night, weary-sounding vibe. Some great noodling by Doug. While a bit more restrained, Bob still manages to deliver some very strong melodic vocals. “Well, when black clouds hover so low, we will rise to kiss you. Don’t stop blushing, gushing in buckets of color.” (7)
15. And My Unit Moves – Definite dip in fidelity on the last track, as you can hear that sweet tape hiss clearly. Doug takes a stab at some piano and does a very nice job. Bob delivering those somber, but proudly defiant vocals. Very different than much of the material on the record, but it doesn’t feel out of place. (6)
- DPM

cortez the killer

Unofficial, fan-made music video for "Frequent Weaver Who Burns"
- DPM

cortez the killer

"Pop Zeus" live from Isolation Drills Tour 2001
- DPM

cortez the killer

Unofficial, fan-made music video for "Slick as Snails"
- DPM

cortez the killer

Unofficial, fan-made music video for "Port Authority"
- DPM

cortez the killer

Unofficial, fan-made music video for "And I Don't (So Now I Do)"
- DPM

cortez the killer

"Tight Globes" live @ The Polish National Home. Beware of mic twirls and everlasting big kicks.

"I'm in love tonight. Perhaps we'll be best friends for the week."
- DPM

cortez the killer

Choreographed War of Man (2001)

#14 in the Fading Captain Series. Also taking liberties of calling this a solo Pollard album despite the inclusion of Soft Rock Renegades in the band title. It’s the same lineup that Bob used on Kid Marine (Jim Macpherson - drums and Greg Demos - bass), with John Shough back behind the controls at Cro-magnon Studio in Dayton. Demos is allowed to spread his wings more, providing lead guitar on four of the tracks here. This album came out in between GBV LPs Isolation Drills and Universal Truths and Cycles. It’s also contains the least amount of tracks (ten) than any Pollard-associated LP up to that point. Choreographed War of Man is a rock record. The two biggest influences that hover over this album are The Who (duh!) and post-punk pioneers, Wire. It doesn’t possess the professional shine & polish of its predecessor, Isolation Drills, nor does it have the same lo-fi aesthetic as some of the earlier albums like Alien Lanes. This is more of a mid-fi record that will satisfy those fans that like the arena rock anthems Pollard has pumped out for years, but are a bit turned off by the glossiness of the aforementioned Isolation Drills and Do the Collapse. Did I mention this album rocks?

1. I Drove a Tank – What sounds like a paper towel dispenser and some old school video game noises announce the tank rumbling in and the song takes off from there. Crude and snarling rocker infused with the spirit of Wire’s Pink Flag. Five solo albums that all feature a ‘10’ as the opening track. “I drove a tank in a running war. I didn't know what the shit was for.” (10)
2. She Saw the Shadow – More post-punk-styled guitars. Builds more layer as it progresses. Chorus gets a bit too repetitive on this one. I get it - She saw the shadow, nothing in the dark. (6)
3. Edison’s Memos – Three of the four Ps incorporated on this one – pop, punk and prog. Love everything about this track – the simple opening riff; the entrance of those churning guitars; Bob’s vocal range, hitting the high and low notes flawlessly; the relentless drum assault by Jim Machpherson; the sudden chord changes. “We're new Discovery Channel's fools, who burst in flames; who cancel out; who phase out.” (11)
4. 7th Level Shutdown – Fuzzy, slow and very atmospheric track. Shoegaze Bob! Pollard can crank out a fist-pumping anthem with the best of them, but he also does a great job showcasing the less sunny side of life. “Another day gone, another night I cannot remember. I'm trying but it's just another blackout. Another day gone.” (9)
5. 40 Yards to the Burning Bush – The opening part always makes me think of Cyndi Lauper’s “Time After Time”. After fucking around for 45 seconds or so, the band transforms into a modern-day Wire. From there, the song alternates between hushed and snarling. The former star quarterback working in those football references. “Got clocked at five flat, in forty yards to the burning bush.” (6)
6. Aeriel – Another somber-sounding, atmospheric track, with hints of shoegaze. Super slowed down and blurry as fuck. Unlike almost anything else Bob has done. Vocals don’t make an appearance until just over two minutes in. “Offered to take away, where it has always gone. Leading you, leading all the way.” (7)
7. Citizen Fighter – Another crude, muscular guitar riff from Demos. This song spits all kinds of punk attitude. Guitars sound like a lo-fi reincarnation of Gang of Four’s Andy Gill. Another song with the minimalist punk spirit of Wire. Has a similar growl to the opener, “I Drove a Tank”. “Hands off and no more touching permitted. When she explodes, she could strip you to skeleton.” (8)
8. Kickboxer Lightning – Energy dialed up to ten. This song explodes out of the blocks. Demos holding down the low end with some incredibly melodic bass lines. Love the way Bob drags out the words on this one. Riffs upon riffs. Pete and Roger would be proud. “Kickboxer lightning, kid bites the big one though. He lives behind me, and don't you want him in your head?” (9)
9. Bally Hoo – Uses the same acoustic/electric, quiet/loud dynamics as “40 Yards to the Burning Bush”. Chainsaw guitars have a little extra bite. Similar riffs as “Citizen Fighter”. Chorus and ending also echo the opening track, “I Drove a Tank”, but is slowed down a bit more. Great punk spirit running through this one. “So now you know what the deal is for, you'll never know who to break it to. I'm really out there, but I like the view.” (8)
10. Instrument Beetle – Heh, heh! Starts out as a sparse, repeated guitar note for approximately a minute and a half. Bob adds some pretty depressing lyrics. The whole band comes in and the track just swells and swells from there, both musically and lyrically. What started out as an exercise in Wire minimalism builds into a Live at Leeds-worthy, growling rock anthem. For the last three plus minutes a voice message plays in the background. As the song nears its conclusion, the music starts to fade out and the voice message can be heard loud & clear. Apparently the guy who left it on Bob’s phone is Matador’s Art Director, Mark Ohe. He’s letting Bob know about the coolest chick he’s ever met. Ever. Of all chicks. But he can’t deal with her. What a fuckin’ track. Nobody, and I mean nobody, but Robert Pollard stitches together a bizarre, seven-plus minute rock anthem like this one. “I'm nobody to play with. I'm nobody to play with. Sit down, sit down. Sit down, sit down. I don't think I want to.” (9)
- DPM

cortez the killer

"Instrument Beetle" live @ the Fillmore in San Francisco on June 24, 2001

"Did Cocker, Meatloaf and Daltrey play here?"
- DPM

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Putting the rig run-down here as well fore thos interested in such things. I assume this is a relatively current line-up?

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

cortez the killer

RolanK wrote:Putting the rig run-down here as well fore thos interested in such things. I assume this is a relatively current line-up?

Yeah, that's them - Doug Gillard, Bobby Bare Jr. and Mark Shue.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Motel of Fools (2003)

#26 in the Fading Captain Series. Is it an LP or an EP? It only contains seven tracks. Considering the standard length of a Robert Pollard song, you figure those seven tracks clock in somewhere around fifteen minutes. However, Motel of Fools takes thirty-one minutes to get through. Because it topped a half hour, Pollard decided to call it a “mini-album”. On 1994’s Alien Lanes, Bob jokingly sang “I write music for soundtracks now” on “Ex-Supermodel”. He had always wanted to do soundtracks, but the offers were not rolling in. So, he decided to do his own and that is the premise for the album. According to Bob, the plot is pretty simple, “You enter the Motel of Fools and you see all these strange characters and fuck-ups.” Aside from some of his more avant-garde side projects like Acid Ranch, Nightwalker and The Sunflower Logic, this album is definitely one of Pollard’s most challenging works to absorb and appreciate. It is a patchwork-quilt of an album, with the songs sounding like aural versions of the physical collages Bob creates as a visual artist. The songs are stitched together with obvious overdubs, a wide range of fidelities, real-life conversations worked into songs and some of the most dissonant arrangements on a Pollard/GBV album to date. Of the 4 Ps, it is psych that plays the most prominent role on Motel of Fools. Bob’s claim about “The Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory” being “he only song I ever wrote while on LSD” is strongly challenged on this record. I really didn’t like this album when I first heard it, but I’ve gained an appreciation for what it is over the years. That said, this would be one of the last albums I would recommend to someone new to Pollard or GBV.

1. In the House of Queen Charles Augustus – Well, Bob’s streak of solo records opening with a ‘10’ is over. Starts off as a “well song” with an a cappella Bob calling out “Truly I saw…” with numerous lyrics from the excellent “Subspace Biographies” tacked on. This goes on for just over a minute. The next part features a swirling shoegazey drone with some acoustic guitars ringing out and an occasional tom strike. “Pull the cork and watch the party flow.” (6)
2. Captain Black – For all the talk of this being a strange record, this track is anything but. It’s a really nice melancholic ballad with a cool hypnotic guitar and a great distorted piano solo. Got a bit of a Tonight’s the Night flavor to it. “My name is Rhino. Yeah, get it on.” (8)
3. Red Ink Superman – Now the strange really begins. This track can be broken down to three distinct sections. Part I consists of random background noise caught on tape with some super slowed down vocals. It lasts about 1:45. Part II features what sounds like a slowed down “I Am a Tree” riff. Bob comes in delivering the vocals in a matter-of-fact fashion. Macpherson gets after it on the drums. That part lasts for 2:30. Part III is just over a minute of pure pandemonium with Pollard yelling over and over again, “We’ll even the score in world War IV!” (7)
4. The Vault of Moons – Battlestar Galactica-type opening with someone asking “Is anybody out there?” Some neat electric guitar noodling over a steady acoustic riff that loops. Bob provides some excellent melodic vocals that sound like they were recorded off a transistor radio and overdubbed in. (6)
5. Saga of the Elk – Very sludgy, dirgey track. Conveys a very ominous vibe musically, even though the lyrics, while excellent, are very cryptic. Bob sounds exhausted as he musters up the strength to deliver the vocals. “So fly away from this disaster. Could it be the stars they're after? Take you back forever after.” (7.5)
6. The Spanish Hammer (She Drives a Camaro/Lift/Love Set/Wildlife Energy) - Four-part, just-under-seven-minute track that ranks as one of Bob’s most avant-garde songs. It’s got it all – tape hiss, backwards guitars, a lovely piano section, discordant noises, the tape being sped up and slowed down, people talking in the background and the guitar riff from “Rocky Mountain Way”. (2)
7. Harrison Adams – Fantastic, emotional gut-punch song bookended by some drunken banter/storytelling at the fabled Monument Club. Title is a clever word play on “hairs and atoms” and the splitting nature of them. Another hall-of-fame vocal melody from Bob. Great lyrics, too! “You aren't happy with me and I know it. And you are the world to me, but it's all gone now.” (10)
- DPM