Old rock posters (display/value)

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ramonz

Old rock posters (display/value)

Post by ramonz »

I am trying to get my ducks in a row to create a new Man Cave (Human Cave? :D ) in my new-ish house. Some of you may recall the old cave I fixed up back in 2011-12, that was a ton of fun. Not as much natural beauty to work with this time, but I think if I can get some old wood up on the walls and give it the royal treatment, I might have something good to work with.

So to my point - as I consider what to put up on the walls, my mind first goes to Wes DBT show posters and my big collection of Steve Keene rock paintings. But my mind also walks me up the attic steps where I have tubes and tubes of old posters from middle school and high school. Original Clash and Ramones posters that are bumping up against every bit of 40 years old. All have pinholes in the corners, some with extra corner damage and scotch tape surgery, but all original and some very badass. There is a huge yellow Clash poster that I haven't seen in 20 years, and have never seen for sale anywhere (very simple, 4 members, kind of in a Ramones End of the Century-style).

Question - what's the best way to display these? I had some old Floyd posters put on foam board 30 years ago, but I wonder if that might reduce any (if there is any) value of some of these? Could always frame them in glass, but that's expensive if you do a bunch. Could always just break out the safety pins again.

Any thoughts on best way to display, and if there's any value?

Thanks

beantownbubba

Re: Old rock posters (display/value)

Post by beantownbubba »

I think you should figure out the value question before you address what and how to display. It feels like you've got a large enough collection that you could probably get a reputable rock memorabilia dealer to come out and appraise your collection. A good appraisal will also let you know how much the current damage to the posters is affecting their value. You might also be able to get tips on how to present the collection for maximum value (or put another way, you might get an opinion on whether investing in framing or equivalent is worth it). In an ideal you'd get more than one appraisal but you absolutely should get at least one. Since it sounds like the collection is fairly portable (in tubes) Plan B would be to pack up the car and deliver your collection to an appraiser(s).

As for display, I don't think there's any question that some kind of proactive presentation (e.g. framing) is better than just pinning posters to the wall, but as you indicate it becomes a question of price pretty quickly. I'm not familiar w/ "medium" steps short of framing but more than just paper pinned to the wall but I know they exist and I'm guessing that others here can chime in.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I'm on the road this week but can post a picture of my garage/man-cave posters. I think it looks pretty good.

Here is the best/cheapest option I've found. These frames look pretty good and perfectly fit the standard Wes Freed poster. I've got a number of other posters as well, some might require a bit of xacto knife work, but most don't. (I know that could decrease the value...but I'm just collecting for the memories.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYY9U3C/re ... UTF8&psc=1
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Here it is, with the fames I posted earlier.

https://ibb.co/wp5vDt2
Love each other, Motherfuckers!