Homecoming 2020! Feb 13-15

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Homecoming 2020! Feb 13-15

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

bovine knievel wrote:
phungi wrote:through 2 nights, other than Cooley playing Made Up English Oceans, there wasn't a single acoustic guitar played...
They won’t play acoustic guitars if there is a cardigan in the house.
:lol:

Well Cole the tour manager is wearing one too so that could be a problem...
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:
phungi wrote:through 2 nights, other than Cooley playing Made Up English Oceans, there wasn't a single acoustic guitar played...

Well Cole the tour manager is wearing one too so that could be a problem...
You call it a problem, I call it a trend.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

I couldn’t decide whether to jump in and try to live vicariously through y’all here, or stay away and try to keep the disappointment of missing HC 2020 at bay, but glad I ventured in. Sounds like Thursday was absurdly good. If I recall correctly, the last few years have been “and that was a THURSDAY!” HC’s as well, so it sounds like the trend continues. Bubba, as always, appreciate the stellar write-ups.

Thanks Phungi for the Nuci’s auction play-by-play....holy shit you guys! So cool to see this grow every year, in funds collected, creativity, and awareness of Nuci’s Space. Gonna jump on the stream tonight and join you guys, but need to run to the liquor store first and replenish the bourbs.

Hear you at the Rock Show! :D

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

I'm gonna need a detailed report about what happened before, during, and after Cooley played Ghost To Most for the second time. :lol:
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Holy shit, that was good.

Great crowd, great energy, and what a show!

Band and crowd both put everything into it tonight.
Let the outside air in

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Markalanbishop wrote:I'm gonna need a detailed report about what happened before, during, and after Cooley played Ghost To Most for the second time. :lol:
So nice they played it twice!

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:I'm gonna need a detailed report about what happened before, during, and after Cooley played Ghost To Most for the second time. :lol:
So nice they played it twice!
I liked the second version best
Let the outside air in

Kelly G

Post by Kelly G »

I’m not a lip reader but I’m pretty sure he looked at Patterson and said, “did I already play this?” during the intro, then went through with it. Patterson grinned the whole time.

RedCelt

Post by RedCelt »

Saturday Night Setlist

Surrender Under Protest
Darkened Flags On The Cusp Of Dawn
Ramon Casiano
Armageddon 's Back In Town
Grievance Merchants
Awaiting Resurrection
A Ghost to Most
Goode's Field Road
Women without Wiskey
Play It All Night Long
Where the Devil Won't Stay
Heroin Again
Uncle Frank
Babies In Cages (With Linqua Franka)
Once They Banned Imagine
Thoughts and Prayers
Marry Me
Days of Graduation/Ronnie & Neil
Lookout Mountain
Gravity's Gone
The Company I Keep
Birthday Boy
Righteous Path
A Ghost To Most Redeux
Let There Be Rock
Shut Up and Get On The Plane
Hell No I Ain't Happy
Rockin' In The Free World
People Who Died
- RedCelt

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kelly G wrote:
I’m not a lip reader but I’m pretty sure he looked at Patterson and said, “did I already play this?” during the intro, then went through with it. Patterson grinned the whole time.
I’m told he also said “fuck it!”. Matt and Patterson’s reactions were priceless

RedCelt

Post by RedCelt »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Kelly G wrote:
I’m told he also said “fuck it!”. Matt and Patterson’s reactions were priceless
He made the right call!
- RedCelt

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

The second Ghost to Most broke the show wide open for the big finish. I can no longer rank favorite shows, but this one was special.

I am starting the lobby now to have Linqua Franqa as an opener again next year. She killed it last year and killed it tonight.
Let the outside air in

RedCelt

Post by RedCelt »

schlanky wrote:The second Ghost to Most broke the show wide open for the big finish. I can no longer name favorite shows, but this one was special.

I am starting the lobby now to have Linqua Franqa as an opener again next year. She killed it last year and killed it tonight.
Yes! Let's get Linqua Franqa back!
- RedCelt

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Since Patterson brought up the subject of heroin, here's a question for y'all: What's the difference between heroin and DBT (besides legality, wise guys)? I am told that heroin is about the never ending and fruitless search to replicate the transcendence of the first high, while DBT is about the possibility that any given night, and way more nights than ought to be humanly possible, will be one of those transcendent, never to be forgotten, you had to be there shows. The third night of homecoming 2020 was one of those shows. In fact I'm not sure that transcendent adequately captures the over the top energy and spectacular performance. The term "epic" gets thrown around too much but this show actually was epic. I was expecting Patterson to start speaking in tongues and Cooley to start handling snakes, it was that kind of rapturous revival meeting. I have never been able to understand, much less articulate, what distinguishes the occasional "really good" rock show from the frequent "really great" show (see Thurs & Friday) from the thankfully frequent transcendent, truly special, memorable show, but I know it when I hear it and experience it and I heard it and experienced it tonite.

Jerry Joseph closed w/ "Dead Confederate." Cooley opened w/ "Surrender Under Protest." Segues across groups and breaks don't get any better than that, and we were off and running with a personal favorite that i didn't think we were gonna hear this wkend. The opening "set" of 3 from American Band and three from The Unraveling was a statement of purpose I guess and at least to me a statement or maybe a demonstration that these last 2 albums stand up to any in the DBT canon.

I hadn't heard "Goode's Field Road" in a while and this was yet another re-working. Not quite the rock of the original, not quite the funkier arrangement the band played for a while, kinda sorta in between. Whatever, it is a great song and it seems that however the band arranges it, the song loses none of its character or power.

I can't tell you why Friday nite's "Women Without Whiskey" was really good while Saturday's was tremendous, but it's still my true opinion. A powerhouse version. And yes! "Play It All Night Long" my favorite DBT cover mostly because they make it so much their own and tonite was no exception. I heard Warren applauding and whistling from the great beyond. The set cooked along nicely from there through "Uncle Frank" which then set up another interesting segue (ironic? coincidental? intended? I have no idea). Having just finished a song that is in some ways about electricity and electric power, the band brought out Linqua Franca, who many seemed to remember from the opening set she torched last year. She was a lightning bolt of energy on a stage already buzzing and crackling. WOW! She helped elevate "Babies in Cages" to another level and sent the crowd (and I think maybe the band too) into a frenzy. Hell yeah, bring her back any time.

Given the sold out crowd and the incredibly high energy level, I was surprised that Cooley attempted "Imagine" but, no surprise, he pulled it off by force of will and quality of song. There was a little noise but overall the audience was pretty quiet and attentive which I appreciated because i love that song.

"Ronnie & Neil" was the "final straw" that blew the roof off and catapaulted the evening into the stratosphere. Always a highlight, it was even more special tonight. Maybe it was the extra loud sing along, maybe it was Patterson's impassioned vocals, but whatever it was, it was obvious that we had entered into a new, higher zone. After that it was one highlight, one superb performance after another. Everybody on stage was locked in and the audience, well the audience was ecstatic. Also it was kind of a throwback to the days of 3 guitar madness as Jay, Patterson and Cooley pushed each other to incredibly intense and exciting solos and rhythm work for the remainder of the set. Brad and Matt were, well, Brad and Matt, which is as good as it gets.

Unless I somehow missed it, Cooley got through "Gravity's Gone" without singing one of my all time favorite lyrics (see signature below) but it hardly mattered He (and I) were just going w/ the flow. "The Company I Keep" was raucous and wild and, as I predicted [takes bow], the band followed with "Birthday Boy" which was all the better for being the first hearing/playing of the wkend. What a song that is. Patterson came right back w/ one of his best in "Righteous Path" also for the first time of the wkend, and as always, it was great to hear.

I know I imagined it, but I could swear the walls shook during "Let There Be Rock." Once again the audience was all over it, adding to its power and joy. I can't say anything about the rest of the set except look at the setlist. Imagine how good every one of those gems must have been individually and following/building on each other. Then double or triple that and you might be in the ballpark. Just over the top outstanding in every way. I was expecting "People Who Died" to follow "Hell No/Sign O the Times" but was not disappointed when the band kicked into "Rockin in the Free World" first. A great song of course and the band always kills it, they just killed it a little more tonight w/ some help from their friends. It was fucking LOUD in the best possible way. "People Who Died" was probably not an artistic masterpiece but it was a rock n roll masterpiece. Chaotic, frienzied, LOUD in all the best rock n roll ways and a fitting end to the kind of night that created the legend of Drive By Truckers in the first place. In case you were wondering, always go to the show. Always.

I am inclined to bow to what appears to be the majority opinion on the quality and excitement of Jerry Joseph's set, but I wasn't feeling it. One of those things I guess. Unfortunately, the best song, the penultimate one w/ Cooley on banjo and the band locking in at a higher level should have been the closer and it would have ended things on a high note even for those of us who were less enthusiastic. But there was one more, For all i know, "Dead Confederate" may be a great song (hard to tell hearing it for the first time in the live setting) but it's not a show closer.

Lest I close on the wrong note myself, let me reiterate that this was one hell of a rock n roll show, among the best I've seen by DBT or anyone. Drive By Motherfucking Truckers are the best rock n roll band on the planet, bar none and I am so glad I got to experience them at the absolute peak of their powers.

Edited to add "epic" reference
Last edited by beantownbubba on Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Holy shit - that Saturday night setlist is insane!

Can’t believe I missed LF guesting on Babies In Cages! Go DBT Go!

Can’t wait to hear last night’s show archived.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

What was that clear cylindrical thing on a stand stage left?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Markalanbishop wrote:What was that clear cylindrical thing on a stand stage left?
I know it's a directional mike. I'm not at all sure what it was aimed at.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

scotto

Post by scotto »

bovine knievel wrote:
And they won't do "Daddy's Cup" if anyone has a beard.

scotto

Post by scotto »

beantownbubba wrote:I am inclined to bow to what appears to be the majority opinion on the quality and excitement of Jerry Joseph's set, but I wasn't feeling it. One of those things I guess. Unfortunately, the best song, the penultimate one w/ Cooley on banjo and the band locking in at a higher level should have been the closer and it would have ended things on a high note even for those of us who were less enthusiastic. But there was one more, For all i know, "Dead Confederate" may be a great song (hard to tell hearing it for the first time in the live setting) but it's not a show closer.
I was also underwhelmed. Band was great, of course, and musically most of the songs seemed pretty rich. But some of those lyrics were wince-inducing. But I'll give you that more time with the recording could change my mind, especially since so many folks whose opinions I value thought differently.
My only other Saturday night reflection: Before I recognized Mr. Mills, I thought "Who's the dope in the bad Neil Young disguise on "Rockin' in the Free world"? And no, I was not drunk. I wasn't even wearing a cardigan.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

scotto wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I am inclined to bow to what appears to be the majority opinion on the quality and excitement of Jerry Joseph's set, but I wasn't feeling it. One of those things I guess. Unfortunately, the best song, the penultimate one w/ Cooley on banjo and the band locking in at a higher level should have been the closer and it would have ended things on a high note even for those of us who were less enthusiastic. But there was one more, For all i know, "Dead Confederate" may be a great song (hard to tell hearing it for the first time in the live setting) but it's not a show closer.
I was also underwhelmed. Band was great, of course, and musically most of the songs seemed pretty rich. But some of those lyrics were wince-inducing. But I'll give you that more time with the recording could change my mind, especially since so many folks whose opinions I value thought differently.
I mostly loved being up front, but I was not in a good spot for vocals. What I did hear I liked a lot. It was alien in spots, but so is The Hold Steady, plus I know a lot of people who read Chinese science fiction.
scotto wrote:My only other Saturday night reflection: Before I recognized Mr. Mills, I thought "Who's the dope in the bad Neil Young disguise on "Rockin' in the Free world"? And no, I was not drunk. I wasn't even wearing a cardigan.
My thought process is basically stupid and based on past patterns: "That doesn't look like Peter Buck."
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:What was that clear cylindrical thing on a stand stage left?
I've seen those on the stage at Pearl Jam shows. I believe it was what they used for recording crowd noise for live recordings.

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

https://archive.org/details/dbt2020-02-14.m21.flac24

Drive-By Truckers
2020/02/14
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

source: Microtech Gefell M21 (dina) > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48
transfer: SDHC > PC > iZotope RX 7 (gain, fades, edits, MBIT+ dither) > CD Wave > THL (flac 8) > Foobar (tags)

*24bit/48khz fileset not intended for CD-R*

recorded and transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. Intro
02. The Living Bubba
03. A Ghost To Most
04. Feb 14
05. Marry Me
06. Sink Hole
07. Uncle Frank
08. This Fucking Job
09. Made Up English Oceans
10. Rosemary With A Bible And A Gun
11. Slow Ride Argument
12. Heroin Again
13. Three Dimes Down
14. Armageddon's Back In Town
15. Gravity's Gone
16. Wednesday
17. When the Pin Hits the Shell
18. Box of Spiders
19. 72 (This Highway's Mean)
20. Dead, Drunk And Naked
21. Guitar Man Upstairs
22. Why Henry Drinks
23. Women Without Whiskey
24. 18 Wheels of Love
25. Where The Devil Don't Stay
26. Steve McQueen
27. Shut Up And Get On The Plane
28. Angels And Fuselage

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

scotto wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:
And they won't do "Daddy's Cup" if anyone has a beard.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So I realized that I somehow managed to write that whole review w/out using the single most appropriate word: Epic. May have to edit that in later 'cause overused though it may be, it surely applies to last nite.

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Why do members of R.E.M. only seem to show up at Homecoming in the years when I don’t go?

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Yaz Rock wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
I've seen those on the stage at Pearl Jam shows. I believe it was what they used for recording crowd noise for live recordings.
Makes me wonder if it was there to record ambient noise for the in-ear monitor system so the mix doesn't sound so dry.

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

there were a couple pro shot cameras set up so I'd bet they were multitracking......

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

beantownbubba wrote:So I realized that I somehow managed to write that whole review w/out using the single most appropriate word: Epic. May have to edit that in later 'cause overused though it may be, it surely applies to last nite.
I came here today looking for your annual epic review. Nicely done!
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

beantownbubba wrote:this was one hell of a rock n roll show, among the best I've seen by DBT or anyone.

Agreed. The band was so fucking fantastic and the crowd was so into it that I think we all could have lasted another couple of hours---it was one of those nights when you just didn't want it to ever end.

I had some foot problems this year, but forgot about all that last night. Cooley needs to repeat songs more often---I think that's the point when the energy level went from 10 up to 11.
Let the outside air in

Flea

Post by Flea »

Jack Flash wrote:Why do members of R.E.M. only seem to show up at Homecoming in the years when I don’t go?

Mills was in the crowd for the Caledonia Lounge show on Wednesday with the Bringdowns and Pilgrim.
Now it's dark.