Homecoming 2020! Feb 13-15

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Rocky

Re: Homecoming 2020! Feb 13-15

Post by Rocky »

A stream tonight would be awesome! :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Meetchaatthebottom

Post by Meetchaatthebottom »

I found it using last year’s link. I hope I’m not breaking any rules...but here’s the link:

http://mixlr.com/team-dirty-south/

Enjoy

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Meetcha.

Corner Fool

Post by Corner Fool »

Meetchaatthebottom wrote:I found it using last year’s link. I hope I’m not breaking any rules...but here’s the link:

Enjoy
Solid. Surprised by quality

gkow4three

Post by gkow4three »

Fantastic; thanks for setting this up. Wisht I was there.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I’ll nominate Matt Patton for MVP for Friday. He rocked every song on stage tonight.

When a show opens with Shut Up and Get on the Plane, you know you’re in for a good night.
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

What is a poor scribe to do? Dear readers, I am afraid I am not up to the challenge of conveying the magnitude and all around wonderfulness of the first nite of Homecoming 2020.

The Dexateens were up first and they were on their game, delivering a fiery hour long set that justified their reputation for stellar live shows and setting a high bar for the headliners.

So DBT comes on and opens w/ a tight, hard and fast version of...are you ready for this... "Shut Up and Get Your Ass on the Plane." As y'all know if they play it at all it's virtually always at or near the end of the set, during the "encore portion" whether literal or figurative. So the audience is already figuring this is going to be an interesting nite when Patterson kicks into "Putting People on the Moon." Despite some muddled lyrics this song kicked all kinds of ass, reminded me of why I think PPOM shares some intangibles w/ "Babies in Cages" and basically sealed the deal. Remember the old Bubba scale of how many songs into the show I felt like I got my money's worth? Tonight the answer was easy: two, which i think is the record and which doesn't leave much room for improvement. The band followed those 2 w/ "Devil Don't Stay" and "Used to be a Cop" and that 4 song run was wonderfully menacing.

I am really starting to doubt that part of the DBT legend which states that the band doesn't rehearse. I don't see how they can be this tight, this sharp, this on the money on every song, and with every song being subtly different (sometimes more) than the "standard version" w/out rehearsing especially after a long layoff. Whatever, these guys delivered as only they can. I don't think there was a single flat spot in the entire show, just terrific and jaw droppingly superb. I should add that the crowd was full (really tight quarters, especially for a Thursday) , in fine voice and completely enthusiastic.

Hard to name highlights in a show that was all highlights but a couple of thoughts: Cooley seguing into "Zip City" from "I'm Eighteen" was pure genius. I don't think I've ever heard that 1-2 before and it provided great context for Zip. "Love Like This" was a slow, slooow burn. Back to back "Pin" and "Do It Yourself" were terrific as always. Heathens was dedicated to, well, the heathens and was spot on. Buttholeville/State Trooper was just downright bad, in the best sense. "Opening Act" was another surprise and despite the generally raucous evening it was another slow one that just nailed it and reminded one and all of just how good these songs are. "Sounds Better in the Song" literally raised goosebumps on my arms.

I understand (at least I assume I do) why American Band was de-emphasized, but just when I was thinking that those songs are too good to simply disappear entirely, Cooley kicked into a fine "Ramon Casiano."

It is an odd quirk of The Unraveling being such a short album by DBT standards that even though the band only played 4 songs off the new one (a bit of a surprise I think) that's still pretty much 50% of the album so that's a long way from nothing. All the songs stood up just fine among the classics and as anticipated the more or less previously unplayed "Grievance Merchants" and "Awaiting Resurrection" were nasty barnburners.

The band usually closes the Friday homecoming show w/ "Grand Canyon" but they chose to do it tonight this year. I don't know if that means anything or nothing but I do wonder if Patterson wants to avoid both complacency/predictability in general and the risk of the "anniversary" of Craig's death becoming too much like a rote exercise. I don't think there's much risk of that but if shaking things up that little bit helps keep Craig in the forefront of everyone's memory where he belongs it's well worth doing. The band was joined by Jerry Joseph, David Barbe (guitar then keys, reversing w/ Jay) and the sixth Trucker, Tyler, who as always acquited himself well on guitar. It's obvious that Patterson knows and trusts him to get it right and that's just a cool thing in the context of the band/fan synergy.

That's a lot of words which really come down to this: It was a fucking great show leaving the crowd both fully satisfied and eager to experience what's next.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

scotto

Post by scotto »

^^^ Yeah, Bubba, too bad you weren't up to the challenge...

You nailed it, brother.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

^^^Nice, Bubba. I really missed hanging at the Tiki Bar with you guys but I'll be back next year. The stream--thanks Gordon!!!--was a poor substitute for being there but I'll take what I can get. I'm interested to hear your take on Awaiting Resurrection. I nearly jumped out of my skin as they built the menace through a more raucous ending than I was expecting. It was also interesting to hear the band and the FOH sound man dial it in as the evening progressed. There were also more special effects on the vocals, especially, than I remember from previous years. Not tricks, but different tones to enhance the feel of the song. Anyway, sad I'm not there but rock on motherfuckers.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

No one posted a set list before passing out? I’m disappointed in you motherfuckers.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Zip City wrote:No one posted a set list before passing out? I’m disappointed in you motherfuckers.
Someone please.
Last edited by Swamp on Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

From the book of face, Mr. Swamp:
Get On The Plane
PPOTM
Devil Don't Stay
Used To Be A Cop
Slow Ride Argument
Heroin Again
Pin Hits The Shell
Do It Yourself
Gravity's Gone
Zip City
Heathens
3DD
Buttholeville/State Trooper
Grievance Merchants
Awaiting Resurrection
Love Like This
Opening Act
Sounds Better In The Song
Tornadoes
Ghost To Most
Lookout Mountain
Ramon Casiano
Grand Canyon*

*with David Barbe, Jerry Joseph and Tyler Eaves

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Thanks MAB!
What just happend?
:(
Last edited by Swamp on Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Getting into town around 5/5:30PM today - is there a go-to spot to hang out before the show or do y'all suggest just exploring Athens?
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LastLawson wrote:Getting into town around 5/5:30PM today - is there a go-to spot to hang out before the show or do y'all suggest just exploring Athens?
By that time there will probably already be people on line so if you want to hang out/introduce yourself that's an option. If you want to be on or near the rail you'll have to join the line. FWIW I won't be there then. You can eat at Clock or Ted's, both w/in yards of the 40 Watt or you can explore a little further. The downtown area is something like 5 blocks x 5 blocks, maybe slightly larger so you can explore if you want to. I don't know what time the non-restaurants/bars close. The UGA campus is right on the edge of the downtown if you want to check that out. Safe travels.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks for the set list Mark.

Anyone know? Just curious. Is Tyler Eaves our Tyler?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Rocky wrote:Thanks for the set list Mark.

Yes. Patterson handed him the guitar on the rail. Actually not the first time
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

Meetchaatthebottom wrote:I found it using last year’s link. I hope I’m not breaking any rules...but here’s the link:

Enjoy
I thought Doc was going to post the link and he thought I was so glad y'all found it. Should be live tonight and tomorrow as well.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Markalanbishop wrote:^^^Nice, Bubba. I really missed hanging at the Tiki Bar with you guys but I'll be back next year.
.... Anyway, sad I'm not there but rock on motherfuckers.
+1
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Swamp wrote:Thanks MAB!
What just happend?
:(
? Not sure what you mean.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Props to Scotto for single handedly trying to bring the cardigan sweater look to the DBT crowd
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I appreciate the write up, Bubba. Obviously I didn’t make it and there ain’t nothing that compares with being there but for a little bit as I read I felt like I was there too. See y’all next year.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Clams wrote:Props to Scotto for single handedly trying to bring the cardigan sweater look to the DBT crowd
If you can't rock a cardigan then you just can't rock.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

First time in 40 watt - this place is positively small! Hoping they play Rosemary and World of Hurt
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

Thursday night show is up!

https://archive.org/details/dbt2020-02-13.m21.flac24

Drive-By Truckers
2020/02/13
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

source: Microtech Gefell M21 (dina) > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48
transfer: SDHC > PC > iZotope RX 7 (gain, fades, edits, MBIT+ dither) > CD Wave > THL (flac 8) > Foobar (tags)

*24bit/48khz fileset not intended for CD-R*

recorded and transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. Intro
02. Shut Up And Get On The Plane
03. Puttin' People On The Moon
04. Where The Devil Don't Stay
05. Used To Be A Cop
06. Slow Ride Argument
07. Heroin Again
08. When the Pin Hits the Shell
09. Do It Yourself
10. Gravity's Gone
11. I'm Eighteen
12. Zip City
13. Heathens
14. Three Dimes Down
15. Buttholeville >
16. State Trooper >
17. Buttholeville
18. Grievance Merchants
19. Awaiting Resurrection
20. Love Like This
21. The Opening Act
22. Sounds Better in the Song
23. Tornadoes
24. A Ghost To Most
25. Lookout Mountain
26. Ramon Casiano
27. Grand Canyon *

* w/ David Barbe and Jerry Joseph

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sorry folks, internet connection problems earlier. Night two:

The camp amped kids slayed as always. It seemed ballsy yet exactly right to open w/ an REM tune ("Driver 8"). Talented kids. Grand Vapids seemed to win over much of the crowd. I thought they were excellent musically but the vocals weren't at the same level. Part of that was probably my unfamiliarity w/ the songs. But geez they went on for a while after I had had my fill.

There's a lot to say about the rock show but in the end it came down to one thing for me (and I'm sure I'm in the minority for focusing on this on a night when the band 'bout tore the place down). "When the Pin Hits the Shell" has been in and out of the setlist and over the years I've caught it a few times. It's always a highlight but last nite was otherworldly. Truly special. For those keeping score at home I have now had 2 goosebump moments in 2 nites, which is a different side of the rock show experience. Cooley wrung every last bit of emotion, sentiment, resentment, pathos, frustration, love and more out of the song until there was nothing left to give. Fantastic. Box of Spiders was a great follow up, second only to the version on IGTBA.

For me it was a rock solid show w/ some nice surprises (Wednesday, This Fucking Job) until somewhere around DD&N or Guitar Man Upstairs. This Fucking Job may have been the best version I've heard, it seems to have gained substance during its lay off (see what i did there?) From then on it was an all out rock n roll extravaganza. Some more nuggets like 18 Wheels, Why Henry Drinks and Steve McQueen, which the crowd just ate up. Jay absolutely shredded that geetar (actually several of them) during the second half of the show. The rhythm section (in which I include Jay for this purpose) has been and continues to be a thing of beauty. Every song cooks and Matt does something wondrous that I haven't heard before it seems in just about every song.

Angels & Fuselage was magnificent from the slow and spooky start to the feedback crazed end. Patterson's vocals were among his best of the stand so far. Thinking of you, Ben & Becca and looking forward to seeing you & your mom tonite, becca.

So, who would have bet that after 2 nites, the 2 unplayed songs from the new album would be Thoughts & Prayers and Babies in Cages? Not me. The 3 song Unraveling mini set kicked ass, especially Slow Ride and Heroin Again.

Another packed house but for some reason it seemed like there was a bit more room to breathe and get around on night 2 although the tiki bar did havve a couple of Japanese subway like moments

And we get to do it again tonight!! See you at the rock show.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Rocky wrote:Thanks for the set list Mark.

Yes. Patterson handed him the guitar on the rail. Actually not the first time
Thanks. That is Awesome As Fuck!

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

night 2

Living Bubba
Ghost To Most
Feb. 14
Marry Me
Sink Hole
Uncle Frank
This Fucking Job
Made Up English Oceans
Rosemary
Slow Ride Argument
Heroin Again
3DD
Armageddon
Gravity's Gone
Wednesday
Pin Hits The Shell
Box Of Spiders
DD & Naked
Guitar Man
Why Henry Drinks
18 Wheels
Devil Don't Stay
Steve McQueen
Get On The Plane
Angels

phungi

Post by phungi »

through 2 nights, other than Cooley playing Made Up English Oceans, there wasn't a single acoustic guitar played...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

phungi wrote:through 2 nights, other than Cooley playing Made Up English Oceans, there wasn't a single acoustic guitar played...
They won’t play acoustic guitars if there is a cardigan in the house.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley