The Unraveling

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: The Unraveling

Post by Jonicont »

Jack Flash wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Grammatical nit: Either "no two of them sound alike" or "not one of them sounds like any other."
I am ashamed. I blame lack of sleep and/or my editor.
Tough crowd
Always go to the show

scotto

Post by scotto »

Fucking awesome!

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:

I really don't think facial hair would be a good look for Cooley.
Well, I've heard he'll never grow a sideburn

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

jimmyjack wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
I really don't think facial hair would be a good look for Cooley.
Well, I've heard he'll never grow a sideburn
Good point!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

^^^in the ditch.

gat dam that's smoking.

roland

Post by roland »

gepman wrote:
Tyler wrote:
roland wrote:Cooley's vocals seem to get lost in the mix, and at least on my car's audio setup, sound muddy to me.
I just think he has a hard voice to mix over distorted guitars, period. It's just so much low mids which is the same spot as the guitars. It can be an issue live at times, to be honest.

Patterson has a bit more of a rasp that cuts over the guitars.

Like, go all the way back to the studio version of Uncle Frank off Pizza Deliverance. Patterson is actually doubling on several of the verses and the chorus. Like, the section starting at around 2:31... you can really hear how Patterson's bg vox reinforce it.
I had noticed that in the leaked copy I was listening to but wanted to wait until I heard the official copy.
I lose Cooley's words in the 2nd half of Grievance Merchants. Didn't notice it so much in Slow Ride...
While we're talking hopes for the official release, I've noticed what sounds like a phone notification on both Babies in Cages (4:56) and Awaiting Resurrection (7:06). It's the exact same sound, and I hope it's just like a watermark or something.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

While we're talking hopes for the official release, I've noticed what sounds like a phone notification on both Babies in Cages (4:56) and Awaiting Resurrection (7:06). It's the exact same sound, and I hope it's just like a watermark or something.
YES! I think it's three times: those two and under the line "look at your children and you hope and pray" in "21st Century USA".
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

roland

Post by roland »

They're gone from the official release on iTunes Music this morning! Whew! Now I just have to wait until Monday (fucking Music Today) for my LP.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Well release day is finally here!

I'll be waiting patiently like many folks for the pre-order to arrive.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Just gave this a first listen. I had heard none of these songs live, and had only listened to the first two "singles" once. In other words, completely fresh ears here.

First impression is that this is the best record they've made in years. Like possibly better than the last four, maybe more. There is such a great groove, such great guitar playing, a real flow through the whole thing.

Grievance Merchants is unbelievable. I didn't know we could still get "next level" Cooley, but holy fucking shit, this song is so, so, so good.

Awaiting Resurrection is the kind of swampy, taking-its-time song that I LOVE from this band.

Too many great things to mention. This thing will be on constant spins.

Only negative I'll mention (and it's not even really about the record): like so many bands, DBT just isn't great about picking the right songs to tease/promote the record. I don't know why so many bands are bad at this, but geez, Armageddon's Back in Town is easily the LAST song I would pick to get people excited about this album. The song is fine, but it doesn't set you up for what the album feels/sounds like at all. It's the one song that feels like an American Band b-side rather than an Unraveling song.

So, yeah, this album fucking smokes.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

glennrwordman wrote:
YES! I think it's three times: those two and under the line "look at your children and you hope and pray" in "21st Century USA".
Re Babies in Cages, the notification sound is gone on the official release (at least on spotify)
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I've been listening for awhile, and I'm at the point where this is musically the best thing they've done in awhile. All the extended instrumentals, codas, etc just smoke. The band itself hasn't been this good in the studio in ages.

There's only one song I see being a skipper, and that's 21st Century USA. Just doesn't do a ton for me musically, and the lyrics are just ok.

The sequencing is great. Rosemary sets a cool, weird, dark groove that just kind of rolls on by, and then Armageddon kicks in full force. Slow Ride Argument ramps it up a notch, and then Thoughts & Prayers mellows out musically while maintaining the rage lyrically. 21st Century is where it should be, and then you have the "groove" section of Heroin & Babies before you get the staggering exit of Grievance Merchants, and the smoldering epic of Awaiting Resurrection.

I don't know that I find anything here that's immediately a Top 10 DBT song, but pound for pound this is their strongest effort in awhile.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I think it’s a better record than American Band and that had settled in as my second favorite after Decoration Day. All things being equal this will probably end up in that spot for me. Thoughts and Prayers and Grievance Merchants are the clear standouts but Rosemary is lush, gorgeous and atmospheric in one since while Awaiting Resurrection is the Yang to its Yin. This is a tour de force and should be their biggest seller surpassing even AB.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Thoughts and Prayers and Grievance Merchants are the clear standouts
Greivance Merchants covers what is now familiar turf for Cooley, continuing his series of take downs of the conservative white male gun toting racist. Made Up English Oceans--->Ramon Casiano--->Greivance Merchants.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Thoughts and Prayers and Grievance Merchants are the clear standouts
Greivance Merchants covers what is now familiar turf for Cooley, continuing his series of take downs of the conservative white male gun toting racist. Made Up English Oceans--->Ramon Casiano--->Greivance Merchants.
Don't forget Surrender Under Protest and Kinky Hypocrite.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Zip City wrote:Just gave this a first listen. I had heard none of these songs live, and had only listened to the first two "singles" once. In other words, completely fresh ears here.

First impression is that this is the best record they've made in years. Like possibly better than the last four, maybe more. There is such a great groove, such great guitar playing, a real flow through the whole thing.

Grievance Merchants is unbelievable. I didn't know we could still get "next level" Cooley, but holy fucking shit, this song is so, so, so good.

Awaiting Resurrection is the kind of swampy, taking-its-time song that I LOVE from this band.

Too many great things to mention. This thing will be on constant spins.

Only negative I'll mention (and it's not even really about the record): like so many bands, DBT just isn't great about picking the right songs to tease/promote the record. I don't know why so many bands are bad at this, but geez, Armageddon's Back in Town is easily the LAST song I would pick to get people excited about this album. The song is fine, but it doesn't set you up for what the album feels/sounds like at all. It's the one song that feels like an American Band b-side rather than an Unraveling song.

So, yeah, this album fucking smokes.
Never thought I’d say this, but I agree with every single thing you’ve said, Zip :D It’s a really fucking great album.

Agree on Armageddon too, although I think they’ve said it really wasn’t a single. But the early vid is what got promoted/picked up, so most would think that’s the single (vs. Thoughts and Prayers). It’s the outlier on the album and doesn’t represent the rest of the work musically. It’s lyrically and stylistically much like The Perilous Night, which I’m not sure is super-loved. They took a risk (that works) opening with Rosemary, maybe they thought Armageddon was a less-risky choice as the video. It is the “poppiest” song on the album, so maybe they figured it could attract some new ears. Who knows.

But we quibble. The album is a masterpiece sonically, and while more personal than AB, it lives on the same street as that classic lyrically. Not as much soaring guitar, and not as many anthemic singalongs, but it’s AB’s beautiful sister. She’s a bit more reserved, but just as passionate to those who take the time to really hear what she has to say.

Broken record alert, but, again, amazed that these guys can keep up this level of quality at this date. Say what you want about a mid-period “slump” between BTCD and AB, this fucking record is tremendous. Thank you guys for your art.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I am having a hard time wrapping my thoughts and feelings around The Unraveling which is, to say the least, unusual for me. But timing is everything and this is the time to talk about the album so here are a few thoughts.

The Unraveling is an album which is to say that the whole is better than the sum of its considerable parts and that these songs belong together. They comment on, reflect, build upon and connect with each other in ways that are exceedingly rare in music these days and which compare favorably to any "golden age" of album making you'd care to name including other DBT masterpieces.

As an album, the key to the whole thing is "Awaiting Resurrection." It is a masterful summing up of all that has come before, thematically, musically, lyrically and emotionally. Dark, of course, but also providing at least a glimmer of hope. "Awaiting Resurrection" is kind of like "Angels & Fuselage" for those of us who don't play in rock bands and fly from gig to gig.

"Heroin Again" and "Grievance Merchants" are two songs that benefit greatly from their setting. When I first heard "Heroin Again" I believe I described it as not ready for prime time. Well, it's now ready for its close up and more. IIRC the lyrics are a little different than originally and I know for sure the musical setting/arrangement is totally different and totally killer. Put in the right setting where Patterson correctly assigns individual responsibility while acknowledging the chaotic and painful world in which we're living this song shines. A remarkable transformation and one that is incredibly exciting to witness. "Grievous Merchants" is clearly the third song in the trilogy of "Made Up English Oceans," "Ramon Casiano" and GM. It is not as artful as either of its predecessors, there are no clever cooleyisms and the phrasing and the lyrics are straightforward without Cooley's trademark allusive mystery. In this case, t's that very directness that makes the song. The song is a a sledgehammer of righteous anger that, bolstered by its context in the album, just stands up and says "I've had it with you assholes and I'm not fucking around anymore." Or put another way, perhaps Cooley has discovered the limits of cleverness (if so, I hope that's temporary because, you know, Cooley).

I don't see how I can write about The Unraveling without mentioning "Babies in Cages." So, yeah, "Babies in Cages." Wow. At the moment the "children changing each other's diapers" line is hitting me the hardest but the song is chock full of spot on observations, pain and anger powerfully delivered.

There's probably a lot to say about the playing on this album but that's one of the things I'm having a hard time articulating. The virtuoso stuff is there but I think mostly what I'm hearing is that it's all about the songs; there's no flash for flash's sake. It all ties together and adds to the momentum that carries the album from beginning to end.

While it would go too far to say that DBT's sound has significantly evolved, they do continue to experiment and grow. I am particularly enjoying the strings where they appear. They are perfect additions with just the right touch (i.e. not overdone).

Zip is correct when he mentions the value of approaching the album fresh. I was surprised at how my familiarity with most of the songs made it harder to really hear the album. One more reason to hope that there are no more 3.5 year gaps in album releases from the Truckers.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I think it’s a better record than American Band and that had settled in as my second favorite after Decoration Day. All things being equal this will probably end up in that spot for me. Thoughts and Prayers and Grievance Merchants are the clear standouts but Rosemary is lush, gorgeous and atmospheric in one since while Awaiting Resurrection is the Yang to its Yin. This is a tour de force and should be their biggest seller surpassing even AB.
It's hard for me to say I like this better than SRO, TDS, ABAAC, even Pizza Deliverance as those songs all hit me in a much more personal way than the songs here do.

But it's really fucking good, and the playing is absolutely inspired on this one. Heroin Again could be a Petty song. I've generally thought Patterson drug songs could get a little clunky, but god damn that soars. I think Armageddon is being a bit underrated on the board. It's some of Patterson's best power pop, and the outro is stellar. Maybe EZB's best studio work to date. The surge into Slow Ride Argument is brilliant. Hearing that loud in the car this morning really made it come together.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:I think it’s a better record than American Band and that had settled in as my second favorite after Decoration Day. All things being equal this will probably end up in that spot for me. Thoughts and Prayers and Grievance Merchants are the clear standouts but Rosemary is lush, gorgeous and atmospheric in one since while Awaiting Resurrection is the Yang to its Yin. This is a tour de force and should be their biggest seller surpassing even AB.
It's hard for me to say I like this better than SRO, TDS, ABAAC, even Pizza Deliverance as those songs all hit me in a much more personal way than the songs here do.

But it's really fucking good, and the playing is absolutely inspired on this one. Heroin Again could be a Petty song. I've generally thought Patterson drug songs could get a little clunky, but god damn that soars. I think Armageddon is being a bit underrated on the board. It's some of Patterson's best power pop, and the outro is stellar. Maybe EZB's best studio work to date. The surge into Slow Ride Argument is brilliant. Hearing that loud in the car this morning really made it come together.
I do like the outro on Armaggeddon. It's the "plink plink plink" that drives me up the wall
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

i've heard the record but heading up to my local record store (yes, i still have 1 of those!) to pick up a copy. can't wait!

Clams

Post by Clams »

One thing I think we can all agree on: TWO COOLEY SONGS IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!

gepman

Post by gepman »

The Wes Freed drawing on the back of the CD booklet should have been the album cover.

Through about a dozen spins now. Love it.

9 songs just aren't enough...
Last edited by gepman on Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

gepman wrote:The Wes Freed drawing on the back of the CD booklet should have been the album cover...

I love Wes, but the album cover is fantastic. The perfect representation of the message.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
gepman wrote:The Wes Freed drawing on the back of the CD booklet should have been the album cover...

I love Wes, but the album cover is fantastic. The perfect representation of the message.
Its good in its own right, but it just is odd NOT having Wes Freed artwork for a DBT cover. I may get over it, one day... :D

Clams

Post by Clams »

For anyone with the vinyl, where is the break bw the two sides? Between 21st Century and Heroin?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:For anyone with the vinyl, where is the break bw the two sides? Between 21st Century and Heroin?
Yes

roland

Post by roland »

Clams wrote:
This goes to my earlier point regarding the Avett's new record. They're playing "embarassed", Cooley is playing contempt. It's just a great song.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

the guitars on "awaiting resurrection" are blowing what's left of my little mind. i think the pertinent question is, are we going to hear the other tracks they recorded during these sessions? i for one would be most interested!