The Unraveling

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: The Unraveling

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

scotto

Post by scotto »

^^^ Can't wait.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I've been doing some junior DBT internet detective work this morning. My best guess is the Mexican restaurant where Patterson wrote 21st Century USA is Las Margaritas, 2107 S Douglas Hwy, Gillette, WY 82718. :mrgreen:

Of course it could be Taco John's which is mentioned in the song.

I think I need a hobby. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

McButton

Post by McButton »

Rocky wrote:I've been doing some junior DBT internet detective work this morning. My best guess is the Mexican restaurant where Patterson wrote 21st Century USA is Las Margaritas, 2107 S Douglas Hwy, Gillette, WY 82718. :mrgreen:

Of course it could be Taco John's which is mentioned in the song.

I think I need a hobby. :mrgreen:
For what its worth, I grew up in Gillette, that was instantly the first place that I thought of.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:Cooley has 2 songs on the album and Patterson is the one with writer’s block? Um, think about that for a minute. Doesn’t make sense to me.
They both had writers block.
Okay but it looks like Patterson was able to overcome it a bit better than Cooley. It is not the usual thing for Patterson to have 3.5 times as many songs on a DBT album as Cooley.
Zip Up to Michigan stated upthread that Patterson had writer's block but said nothing of the sort about Cooley. I was really responding to that statement.
American Band was 6-5 for Patterson in song count. The Unraveling is 7-2 for Patterson. Any way you slice it, that is a big difference from one album to the next.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Clams

Post by Clams »

Bill in CT wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:Cooley has 2 songs on the album and Patterson is the one with writer’s block? Um, think about that for a minute. Doesn’t make sense to me.
They both had writers block.
Okay but it looks like Patterson was able to overcome it a bit better than Cooley. It is not the usual thing for Patterson to have 3.5 times as many songs on a DBT album as Cooley.
Zip Up to Michigan stated upthread that Patterson had writer's block but said nothing of the sort about Cooley. I was really responding to that statement.
American Band was 6-5 for Patterson in song count. The Unraveling is 7-2 for Patterson. Any way you slice it, that is a big difference from one album to the next.
You're getting lazy Bill. You have to read the No Depression article linked by jonicont in the very first post of this thread.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

gepman

Post by gepman »

If anyone can PM me a leak link, it'll help tide me over when Music Today delivers my CD/LP a week after the release date...

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Some of yall are being entirely too hard on this album. Two listens in, I already prefer it to AB. I think the entire first side, in particular, is terrific. The album it most closely reminds me of is GGB, which I realize is not an especially popular one around here, but given that it's probably my second or third favorite DBT album, I'm all in for the the similarly slow smoldering noir vibe of songs like "Babies in Cages" (a song I didn't much care for previously) and "Awaiting Resurrection." So much great guitar playing on this record, too; has there been a DBT album with as many long (and excellent) guitar solos?

Is the quote of the M*A*S*H* theme ("Suicide is Painless") on "Rosemary..." intentional? Either way, I love it. Also, this tune reminds me a little of "Two Daughters & a Beautiful Wife," and not just because it kicks off the album.

Only song I'm not feeling off the bat is "Heroin Again," but mostly because I'm baffled by the decision to include this song over something like "Billy Ringo In The Dark," which is imo one of Patterson's best, or maybe another Cooley song. Sort of a "why did the Beatles leave off 'Junk' but include 'Honey Pie?' moment for me. And of course I'm as bummed as the rest of you that there are only two Cooley tunes, but maybe we'll get more on the next album. The studio version of "Slow Ride Argument" was worth the wait; super cool to hear Patterson (and Jay??) singing parts on a Cooley song (beyond just background vox, I mean).

Anyway, that's my early take. This is a damn fine album and I'm looking forward to spinning my vinyl copy the day it arrives.

gepman

Post by gepman »

gepman wrote:If anyone can PM me a leak link, it'll help tide me over when Music Today delivers my CD/LP a week after the release date...
Got it. Thanks!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

jimmyjack wrote: The studio version of "Slow Ride Argument" was worth the wait; super cool to hear Patterson (and Jay??) singing parts on a Cooley song (beyond just background vox, I mean).
It's actually Mr. Matt Patton!
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

I really want to withhold my judgment until I hear an "official" copy of the record (as some of the production likely will come across better, naturally), but so far I really, really like it. Upon each listen it's grown on me, and I am hearing different things each time.

It also sounds more "open" and less constrained compared to AB (which I loved). Looser. Much of that may have to do with the studio.

I expect it to continue to grow on me, and can't wait to see the songs live that I've not yet heard in person ("Grievance Merchants" and "Awaiting Resurrection").
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

roland

Post by roland »

glennrwordman wrote:I really want to withhold my judgment until I hear an "official" copy of the record (as some of the production likely will come across better, naturally), but so far I really, really like it. Upon each listen it's grown on me, and I am hearing different things each time.

It also sounds more "open" and less constrained compared to AB (which I loved). Looser. Much of that may have to do with the studio.

I expect it to continue to grow on me, and can't wait to see the songs live that I've not yet heard in person ("Grievance Merchants" and "Awaiting Resurrection").
I'm waiting, only because the only early copy I ever did was English Oceans, and the high pitched whine in Cooley's songs never got fixed, and I was disappointed. I do like the two "singles" released so far. When release day comes, I'll listen on Apple Music all day while I work to get a feel, and then bitch for three days that my vinyl preorder from Music Today hasn't arrived yet, listen on Apple Music for a couple more days, finally get the LP, pour a tall ass Evan 100 and kick my wife to the bedroom for the night.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

roland wrote:
glennrwordman wrote:I really want to withhold my judgment until I hear an "official" copy of the record (as some of the production likely will come across better, naturally), but so far I really, really like it. Upon each listen it's grown on me, and I am hearing different things each time.

I'm waiting, only because the only early copy I ever did was English Oceans, and the high pitched whine in Cooley's songs never got fixed, and I was disappointed. I do like the two "singles" released so far. When release day comes, I'll listen on Apple Music all day while I work to get a feel, and then bitch for three days that my vinyl preorder from Music Today hasn't arrived yet, listen on Apple Music for a couple more days, finally get the LP, pour a tall ass Evan 100 and kick my wife to the bedroom for the night.
I concur with MOST of your plan!! (My wife might have...opinions--valid ones--about my cuddling up with a bottle of Michter's, Patterson, and Cooley).

Official release day is a Friday (although I THINK if you ordered a bundle it arrives ~1/24), so I will be at work. But Monday, 2/3 or 1/27...all The Unraveling, all the damn time.

SXDX

Post by SXDX »

Maybe its just me but I think Thoughts and Prayers would have been way better as an angry punk rocker. But what the hell do I know?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:“Album of the decade”

https://rockingmagpie.wordpress.com/202 ... ravelling/
Does he say "album of the decade" to mean

This is a really good album
This is the best album of the past 10 years
This album is so good that it sets a high bar for the coming decade
Yeah, I know the decade's only 3 wks old but I'm I'm doing some meta ironic thing involving typical rock press hyperbole

Love "bring a tear to a glass eye" :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:“Album of the decade”

https://rockingmagpie.wordpress.com/202 ... ravelling/
Does he say "album of the decade" to mean

This is a really good album
This is the best album of the past 10 years
This album is so good that it sets a high bar for the coming decade
Yeah, I know the decade's only 3 wks old but I'm I'm doing some meta ironic thing involving typical rock press hyperbole

Love "bring a tear to a glass eye" :)
He could mean it’s the best of the current decade assuming he ascribes to the belief that this is the last year of the teens.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I was really pleasantly surprised.

I thought Perilous Night was in the running for the worst thing DBT has ever done. Tinny, thin sound. Painfully obvious "Living With War" rant lyrics. Not catchy. I expected this to be more of the same.

I'm really enjoying the playing here. It's vibrant and lush on the quieter stuff, and just rips on the louder stuff. All of these codas (Armageddon, Grievance Merchants, Heroin Again) are top notch. Awaiting Resurrection is one of the heaviest songs in their canon.

There isn't a skipper to my ears, yet. That's rare. 21st Century USA might become one. Doesn't have a ton of catchiness to me.

On the downside, I don't hear a true DBT classic here. While I enjoy almost everything here, nothing has blown my doors off the way at least 1-2 songs (and the entirety of some albums) off each album do. Sometimes the lyrics are "Living With War" clunky. There's more rage and less empathy, and I don't hear the things in the songwriting that really drew me into DBT in the first place. They're mad, but there isn't that view into something deeper than anger that always marked the earlier stuff. That's ok, it's where they're at. This will definitely be a "back half" of any ranking of DBT albums for me, but there isn't a DBT album I don't like so it's not really a shot at it in my mind. At this stage in their career, they aren't going to make Decoration Day or The Dirty South again. No artist ever has maintained that level consistently. If this is their "Dirty Work" phase, to quote another poster, it's pretty damn good.

At the end of the day, I'm glad this exists and I look forward to seeing these tunes live. Slow Ride Argument is going to be a beast in the Rock Show.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Iowan wrote:Slow Ride Argument is going to be a beast in the Rock Show.
It already is. Of all the new tunes I've seen live, Slow Ride Argument has made the easiest transition to the Rock Show. It's badass, especially when the lights go out during the opening pause right before the lyrics start. I haven't heard Awaiting Resurrection live yet. Looking forward to that at HC.

Oddly enough I like a lot of the other songs on the album better in the studio than I do live...at least so far. Rosemary especially. That happened to me with English Oceans too. When they started premiering songs live before the album was released they didn't grab me. That changed over time. American Band wasn't like that at all. Loved them live the first time I heard them, loved the studio versions when released, love them live to this day. This album ain't American Band, but it's pretty damn good.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I think I'm liking this one better than I liked AB initially. AB grew on me a lot during the first few listenings and I've been coming back to it pretty regularly. I get the things PH was talking about on production/mixing. Love how this sounds. Can't wait to hear it on vinyl - and live of course.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I finally was able to listen to whole thing straight through during a bunch of driving. Initial impression is the record is brilliant. I really like how different the music is. Would've been easy to do the return of american band & they absolutely didn't. Looking forward to hearing with a proper format. 1 of the things i really dislike about the internet is it seems a lot of times people put stuff down seemingly to get attention. Nothing personal for people who don't like it. I would advise giving the record a few listens. I think this one will reward with subsequent listening. This is the work of a mature band who continues to grow & not live on past glories which is a damn fine thing!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Yeah, sonically this is really different from American Band.

It really doesn't sound like any other album they've done, and that's pretty cool.

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

Iowan wrote:Yeah, sonically this is really different from American Band.

It really doesn't sound like any other album they've done, and that's pretty cool.

That is the truest of tests for a band after they have made every album in about every way imaginable already. It is the evolution I personally like to see as a fan. I find it easier to listen to the studio version of an album then watch them change and grow sonically live. I’ve been patiently waiting to hear the studio of this so I can get fired up for the live versions.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Since my honey got me the pre-order for Christmas (I am so thankful I found someone who gets me!) I am going to wait for the official release to hear all of the songs at the same time in their official capacity. So it looks like I'm signing off of this thread for a week and a half.

But I will leave you with this. Thanks Jimmy Jack.

By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Rocky wrote:Since my honey got me the pre-order for Christmas (I am so thankful I found someone who gets me!) I am going to wait for the official release to hear all of the songs at the same time in their official capacity. So it looks like I'm signing off of this thread for a week and a half.

But I will leave you with this. Thanks Jimmy Jack.

I'm doing the same. I loved the songs live so Im going to give the album the royal treatment, sit tight and play the bastard loud on release day.

(Also, its not just Junk, I can't understand why the Beatles never put George's acoustic take of All Things Must Pass on an album.)

Clams

Post by Clams »

I don’t think there’s ever been a more menacing DBT song than Awaiting Resurrection. It's a slow burner that IMO would be great as an opener. I can’t wait to see how they work up the guitar playing by the time this one becomes road tested. Reminds me of Sleeps With Angels-era NY&CH (maybe I'm hearing things but check it back to back with Neil's "Change Your Mind"). Also, if you crank this song up (again if I'm not hearing things) in the first minute or two you can hear the return of the moaning/mumbling/noise/sound which also appeared on Grand Canyon.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:I don’t think there’s ever been a more menacing DBT song than Awaiting Resurrection. It's a slow burner that IMO would be great as an opener. I can’t wait to see how they work up the guitar playing by the time this one becomes road tested. Reminds me of Sleeps With Angels-era NY&CH (maybe I'm hearing things but check it back to back with Neil's "Change Your Mind"). Also, if you crank this song up (again if I'm not hearing things) in the first minute or two you can hear the return of the moaning/mumbling/noise/sound which also appeared on Grand Canyon.
It starts immediately in the recording, and it's creepy as hell.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

babies in cages......after the acoustic intro....that plugged-in alien growl is the shit.

what a fucking groove.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Iowan wrote:
Clams wrote:I don’t think there’s ever been a more menacing DBT song than Awaiting Resurrection. It's a slow burner that IMO would be great as an opener. I can’t wait to see how they work up the guitar playing by the time this one becomes road tested. Reminds me of Sleeps With Angels-era NY&CH (maybe I'm hearing things but check it back to back with Neil's "Change Your Mind"). Also, if you crank this song up (again if I'm not hearing things) in the first minute or two you can hear the return of the moaning/mumbling/noise/sound which also appeared on Grand Canyon.
It starts immediately in the recording, and it's creepy as hell.
YES! Does anyone know who/what/I hear demons this is?

When I first heard the studio version, my initial response was an amazing combo of Neil Young and "Meddle"-era Floyd. The guitar solo could be right off of "Echoes". Brilliant.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

dime in the gutter wrote:babies in cages......after the acoustic intro....that plugged-in alien growl is the shit.

what a fucking groove.
One of my initial/very preliminary/gotta listen 11 more times reactions to this is that this record does indeed "groove" in a way American Band did not. I don't honestly know if Brad got to "road test" these more (with the obvious exception of "Armageddon..." and "Grievance Merchants"), but he and Matt just get swampy in the best possible way all over this one.
Last edited by glennrwordman on Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.