The Unraveling

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: The Unraveling

Post by chuckrh »

the record has leaked & has started to pop up in the usual places. i'm going to buy it of course but very tempted to do a sneak preview!

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

Zip City wrote:Kinda don't know how to feel about that song. It's all the things it should be (pissed off, visceral, topical, etc.)....but is it....good? Is it even important if it is?

There's a lot to digest here
I feel like I'm in the very small DBT fan minority that supports the stance and the politics but is bored by the song. The musically minimal, lyrically direct thing worked really well for What it Means, but I'm not sure I want it all of the time moving forward (hello, 21st Century USA, Babies in Cages, etc).

nowigotworry

Post by nowigotworry »

I like the track musically (although it bears a LOT of resemblances to What It Means) but the verses are so clumsy it almost hurts to listen to...the phrasing is awkward (what's up with that these days? American Band had some similar issues like the "mighty hawk swoop down" line) and the lyrics are just...a little on the nose for a lack of a better descriptor.

I still consider DBT my favorite band, but we're entering the Dirty Work years (DBT has been around roughly as long as the Stones had at that time) and I don't have any problem acknowledging it. I can't think of a single band that was releasing their best material 20+ years in and this is no exception.

I'm tempted to say that this song is just bad for the reasons above, but I'll let it sink in a few more times before making final judgement.

I do really like Slow Ride Argument though...

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I feel like they're at the tipping point of "Living With War" era Neil Young, where the lyrics are everything, are completely unambiguous, and the music is fine but unremarkable.

But what do I know?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

coornelius wrote:
Zip City wrote:Kinda don't know how to feel about that song. It's all the things it should be (pissed off, visceral, topical, etc.)....but is it....good? Is it even important if it is?

There's a lot to digest here
I feel like I'm in the very small DBT fan minority that supports the stance and the politics but is bored by the song. The musically minimal, lyrically direct thing worked really well for What it Means, but I'm not sure I want it all of the time moving forward (hello, 21st Century USA, Babies in Cages, etc).
I think both of these are valid points. I don't necessarily agree but I certainly get where both of you are coming from. Unfortunately things over on Facebook are a giant shitshow right now (and I may or may not have just kicked the hornet's nest) but it'll be nice to discuss it over here once it's officially released and we'll be free to discuss the entire album.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Why anyone uses Facebook for any reason whatsoever at this point in history beyond looking up tour dates or restaurant menus is utterly beyond me. Much less to discuss DBT. You might as well be smearing shit on a wall.

Anyway it's hard for me to imagine a DBT not liking this song musically, but whatever.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Jack Flash wrote:Why anyone uses Facebook for any reason whatsoever at this point in history beyond looking up tour dates or restaurant menus is utterly beyond me. Much less to discuss DBT. You might as well be smearing shit on a wall.
There's a lot of good things about Facebook. I'm a member of numerous groups (history, music, sports) that are full of great discussions, historically important photos and documents, and many other things worth my time. As far as DBT, Facebook is much quicker and efficient than this group for getting out setlists, show reviews, photos, and videos...if that's your thing. I suppose if one doesn't have the skill to separate the wheat from the chaff they'd probably just notice all the shit that is evidently smeared on the wall.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I skimmed through the Facebook posts around this song, and it just seemed like copy/paste from American Band discussions.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I posted a little over on facebook fan page. The main thing that concerns me is this desire by a lot of folks to assume you are a 4 wheel driving, AR-15 toting, racist, straight out of a Randy Newman tune, good ole boy if you don't like the songs.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:I skimmed through the Facebook posts around this song, and it just seemed like copy/paste from American Band discussions.
There's a lot of that for sure. I don't understand why everyone on all sides isn't just tired and bored w/ repeating the same old same old but i have resigned myself. The good thing is that I can skim it pretty quick and get the gist LOL.
jr29 wrote:I posted a little over on facebook fan page. The main thing that concerns me is this desire by a lot of folks to assume you are a 4 wheel driving, AR-15 toting, racist, straight out of a Randy Newman tune, good ole boy if you don't like the songs.
Yeah, definitely too much of this. I find it distressing and disappointing but I get that it's not gonna change anytime soon. Among many other things, the internet is a very reductive medium.

I hope that the quality of the discussion here will hit at least the usual level and will allow for a variety of viewpoints. I guess we'll all find out together. However it goes, I am really looking forward to it: New DBT music!! C'mon, how long has it been since we could say that*? :D :D :D

*That's rhetorical.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I thought "Thoughts & Prayers" was very similar to "What It Means". I enjoy both.
Last edited by Iowan on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Jack Flash wrote:Why anyone uses Facebook for any reason whatsoever at this point in history beyond looking up tour dates or restaurant menus is utterly beyond me. Much less to discuss DBT. You might as well be smearing shit on a wall.

Anyway it's hard for me to imagine a DBT not liking this song musically, but whatever.
I agree Jack, #FuckFaceBook.
Stealing your soul and. Selling it to anyone who wants it, never trusted that dweeb Zuckerberg.
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

PeterG wrote:

I agree Jack, #FuckFaceBook.
Stealing your soul and. Selling it to anyone who wants it, never trusted that dweeb Zuckerberg.
Facebook is an abomination, love T & P. Would have made a great first “single” IMO.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I really enjoyed the song title, video, and political sentiment of Thoughts and Prayers more than the song itself. I'm a bit underwhelmed and I feel a little guilty because I really wanted to love it. It either feels like its missing a punk rock edge to the lyrics or could have used more of a "stone cutter" approach. This just feels....eh....it doesn't inspire me in the manner I thought it would.

I'm confident that most of the album will resonate with me as they have always done. Perhaps Thoughts and Prayers too after I have the chance to see it live.
Last edited by Cubfan06 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

People say the same about internet message boards. There have certainly been enough pissing matches on this one.
Take what you need and leave the rest.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

The first time I heard T&P was in late 2018 in Chattanooga, and I remember LOVING it at the time. Thought it was Patterson’s best new song in a while. I still like it, but for some reason it just doesn’t hit as hard as it used to. However between this single and Armageddon’s Back In Town, and everything I’ve heard live, early signs are encouraging for the new album.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

I just listened to the full album. I think anyone that liked the last 2 LP's will probably like this.

Lyrics are pretty bad in some places. Music is ok.

If this was my first experience with DBT, I personally wouldn't go much farther. It's still an enjoyable listen coming from someone that hopped on the bus in 2003.

Awaiting Resurrection is pretty solid though.

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

Fatah Ruark wrote:I just listened to the full album. I think anyone that liked the last 2 LP's will probably like this.

Lyrics are pretty bad in some places. Music is ok.

If this was my first experience with DBT, I personally wouldn't go much farther. It's still an enjoyable listen coming from someone that hopped on the bus in 2003.

Awaiting Resurrection is pretty solid though.
agreed with all of this. this is the first record that, to my ears, didn't yield a classic DBT tune. even Go-Go Boots, which IMO is far and away their nadir, had Everybody Needs Love, Mercy Buckets, and Pulaski. I bought this one and like it because DBT are one of my favorite bands, but I don't feel like I'll ever go out of my way to go back to it -- unless a few spins of the vinyl or the band-sanctioned digital show me some things I missed.

it sounds like the writer's block issues weren't really solved when they decided to make the record.

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

I hope I don’t regret this and feel free to hold it over my head if I change my mind. There are certain albums that I dislike the first time I hear them...heck even Ok Computer was crap to me the first time I heard it...now it’s a personal favorite.

This album is just not doing anything for me. The music just doesn’t feel interesting and it feels very uninspired. The lyrics feel forced and cheesy, which is a damn shame considering that Hood and Cooley are two of the all time great songwriters. The writer’s block is obvious. To me it feels like cuts that didn’t make American Band, and rightfully so. I hope you all really enjoy it and find something to appreciate, maybe I will with more time. I don’t see this one getting many repeat plays. I’ll be looking forward to the next one.

Agerst1574

Post by Agerst1574 »

I have not heard the album, just the two tracks. I like the lyrics of “Thoughts and Prayers” but can’t help but think there is a sameness to Patterson’s music. It is also a reason why I don’t go see Patterson when he tours as a solo artist.

The larger issue for me is as much as the lyrics are an issue with some folks, the music seems to be what prevents the band from really breaking out beyond the club and small theater circuit.

I am a DBT fan and have seen almost every tour since 2005. But the reality is I prefer the live shows to most of the records.

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

What I’ve heard so far from The Unraveling speaks to me and how I view things. I know that’s not the same for all on here. I am moved by their stance and courageous spirit to say how they feel regardless of the cost fan base wise. That is the test of a real artist in my opinion. To me Patterson’s words have mostly been since he is a story teller lyrically, in almost a talking conversation sense when he sings. That might cause some to think it’s awkward phrasing or what not. I understand him being this way and at times long winded in lines and verses but to me that has never diminished his songs meaning or effectiveness to me. He and Cooley are very different as we know but a perfect difference for two songwriters to coexist in a band. What It Means was so powerful with so much passion and meaning. Thoughts and Prayers has equaled that and I’m so thankful for that as a fan. I personally wish their next album after The Unraveling was this same way. I know I’m in the minority for sure there but music as a whole needs a lot more of this expression right now in my opinion.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

The song that's blown me away is Heroin Again. Almost sounds like a lost Tom Petty song musically.

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Heroin Again is certainly the diamond in the rough as far as the Patterson songs go.

I’ll say the same as what some others have already said: I 100% agree with the sentiments behind songs like Thoughts and Prayers, Babies in Cages, and 21st Century... but these are really bad songs.It’s like Patterson busted out his rhyming dictionary from 3rd grade. Cringeworthy lyrics paired with uninspiring music. The writers block thing is clearly legit and he’s still not out of it.

I think the story on this one will be “damn, too bad there aren’t more Cooley songs on here!” The two Cooley tracks are clearly the winners.

Whatever, we’ll all go to the shows and have a great time.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Anybody got a track list?
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

Swamp wrote:Anybody got a track list?
"Rosemary With a Bible and a Gun"
"Armageddon’s Back in Town"
"Slow Ride Argument"
"Thoughts and Prayers"
"21st Century USA"
"Heroin Again"
"Babies in Cages"
"Grievance Merchants"
"Awaiting Resurrection"

Clams

Post by Clams »

KcGhostToMost wrote:What I’ve heard so far from The Unraveling speaks to me and how I view things. I know that’s not the same for all on here. I am moved by their stance and courageous spirit to say how they feel regardless of the cost fan base wise. That is the test of a real artist in my opinion. To me Patterson’s words have mostly been since he is a story teller lyrically, in almost a talking conversation sense when he sings. That might cause some to think it’s awkward phrasing or what not. I understand him being this way and at times long winded in lines and verses but to me that has never diminished his songs meaning or effectiveness to me. He and Cooley are very different as we know but a perfect difference for two songwriters to coexist in a band. What It Means was so powerful with so much passion and meaning. Thoughts and Prayers has equaled that and I’m so thankful for that as a fan. I personally wish their next album after The Unraveling was this same way. I know I’m in the minority for sure there but music as a whole needs a lot more of this expression right now in my opinion.
Great post, though I also agree with some of the negative stuff people have posted in this thread.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Tyler wrote:The song that's blown me away is Heroin Again. Almost sounds like a lost Tom Petty song musically.
I honestly didn't think much of it when I heard it live at the Orange Peel several year ago, and then he stopped playing it. It's the biggest surprise on the album for me, just a killer track.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Very interested to see how the new songs are worked into the shows next three nights.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Cooley has 2 songs on the album and Patterson is the one with writer’s block? Um, think about that for a minute. Doesn’t make sense to me.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Bill in CT wrote:Cooley has 2 songs on the album and Patterson is the one with writer’s block? Um, think about that for a minute. Doesn’t make sense to me.
They both had writers block.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved