The Unraveling- New Record out 1/31

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: The Unraveling- New Record out 1/31

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

gepman wrote:Photo was posted by Patterson 0n 12/31/18 on his Instagram.

dbtph "Dad is happy. Happy 2019 Y'all. (Photo courtesy of Erik Golts)
From Rebecca Hood’s FB page regarding the cover

Very excited the band has announced their incredible new record for 1/31/20. They consistently up the ante & amaze me!

And yes that’s Emmett & his good buddy Charlie on the cover. Photo credit- Erik Golts“
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kelly G

Post by Kelly G »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
boyyourself wrote:I had just walked into Gruene Hall for sound check the other day and they promptly broke into Grievance Merchants and it’s strong af
Festivus is huge for the Airing of Grievance Merchants
A donation has been made to the Human Fund in your name. Money for People

scotto

Post by scotto »

*long, contented sigh*

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

NICO9000

Re: The Unraveling?

Post by NICO9000 »

gepman wrote:So. "Grievance Merchants" is the second Cooley song?

Has that been played live yet anywhere?

Just 2 Cooley songs after 3 1/2 years?
Years ago, I talked to Cooley after a solo show and asked him why he didn't write more songs.

His response was "You got any?"

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

NICO9000 wrote:

Years ago, I talked to Cooley after a solo show and asked him why he didn't write more songs.

You got off easy :lol: :lol:
Always go to the show

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

No shit! I would have expected a wired jaw at the least from that encounter :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jack Flash wrote:Only 9 songs is interesting. Sure glad Heroin Again made the cut, as it seems to have been around for quite a while - I like that one.
Dad! Comin' up for air? :) Good to see ya. Best to the missus.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Album cover reminds me of Craig Finn's solo record covers, which I dig. Kinda sets this era of DBT off from what came before.

Armageddon is killer, in all honesty I'd be more excited for a double LP with half-unheard material but then I'd be fiending around the time for the next record to drop (next year?) so it's a trade-off.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

lajakesdad wrote:But that cover..ugh. Not feeling it at all. Looks like something we all could do on our phones in a couple of minutes.
That cover is gonna have to grow on me, that's for sure. I liked the cover of American Band from the second I saw it, this one not so much. But in the end the coverart isn't nearly as important as the music, as we all know.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Does the album font remind anyone of GNR?

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Smitty wrote: Kinda sets this era of DBT off from what came before.
This was my thought too. This is sort of the companion piece to American Band, so the photo motif makes sense. This isn’t about world-building or storytelling so much as trying to make sense of reality.

Would free up the other new album that’s mostly recorded to have a Wes Freed cover and mark a return to “normal” DBT storytelling and more oblique social commentary. Then, ten years from now, we can all look back on AB and TU and say, “Remember that time the US elected a fascist? Thank god we had the Truckers to help see us through!”

Of course, that could be wildly off-base since Hood and Cooley will do whatever the fuck they want. I’ll be along for the ride regardless.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So what, after all these years, possessed Patterson to fly back to Kansas City and kill that man?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I am liking Armageddon's Back in Town!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:So what, after all these years, possessed Patterson to fly back to Kansas City and kill that man?
8-)

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:So what, after all these years, possessed Patterson to fly back to Kansas City and kill that man?
Sounds like maybe the victim was a local news meteorologist with a spotty forecasting track record.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

i made a thread on the IORR site about our boys that has been well received (mentioned on 2020 tour thread). someone there posted this picture taken during the recording of the new record. i think that is the happiest i have ever seen Mike look!

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Broke down and listened to Armageddon’s Back In Town. I sort of wish I hadn’t. It may grow on me and probably will but after one listen it sounds like this would go on a new Patterson solo album. The chorus was catchy and the coda was pretty cool but that’s about all I can say for it. I really don’t have an opinion on the album cover.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Cole Younger wrote:Broke down and listened to Armageddon’s Back In Town. I sort of wish I hadn’t. It may grow on me and probably will but after one listen it sounds like this would go on a new Patterson solo album. The chorus was catchy and the coda was pretty cool but that’s about all I can say for it. I really don’t have an opinion on the album cover.
I like it. Although, it does sound like a different band almost. Only other DBT's song that's similar I think is maybe Girls Who Smoke.

It's very "Patterson does power pop!"

I dont think it'll be representative of the album as a whole though.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

No "Billy Ringo In The Dark!" I love that one. Maybe Patterson's saving it for a solo album.

I like the cover art.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

305 Engine wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Broke down and listened to Armageddon’s Back In Town. I sort of wish I hadn’t. It may grow on me and probably will but after one listen it sounds like this would go on a new Patterson solo album. The chorus was catchy and the coda was pretty cool but that’s about all I can say for it. I really don’t have an opinion on the album cover.
I like it. Although, it does sound like a different band almost. Only other DBT's song that's similar I think is maybe Girls Who Smoke.

i really love "girls who smoke". great song.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

305 Engine wrote:

I think it sounds like a throwback to the post-TDS>Pre-TDU era, think ABAAC/Murdering Oscar/Sirens of the Ditch, where they really started diving into the more left-of-the-dial influences.
Based on the songs I've heard so far (everything except "Grievance Merchants"), I think instead of one representative sound that sonically it's got something for everybody, including two that are heavier/spacier (in a good way) than anything that comes before on a DBT record.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

chuckrh wrote:i made a thread on the IORR site about our boys that has been well received (mentioned on 2020 tour thread). someone there posted this picture taken during the recording of the new record. i think that is the happiest i have ever seen Mike look!

Don’t know why this pic makes me so happy, guess I appreciate how hard these guys have worked at this career, and meeting an idol is cool for anyone... reminds me of Cooley’s comment about Zip City “it’s like Satifaction, with out the mansion’.
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Brad, in all his Cheech & Chong glory, even managed a bemused half-grin.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Jonicont wrote:
NICO9000 wrote:

You got off easy :lol: :lol:
I've been thinking about this, and as a songwriter/poet-type-humanoid/writer in general, "writer's block" is a terrifying thing.

It's always been clear that Cooley is somewhat of a "stone-cutter". (I think I read that he had "A Ghost to Most" for like two years rattling around before it was "done", in his mind). And I came down on the point that I mostly worry about HIM, not whether I'll get to experience more Mike Cooley songs. I mean, I want them. A lot. I want that joy again. But I know how f**king hard it is to complete something when your internal "Quality Control" monitor is set to "ultra-high". To almost paraphrase several Cooley lyrics, "just because it looks easy don't mean it is easy".

I'm grateful for whatever I get, and know how profoundly spoiled I am by both of these guy's output over 20+ years.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

^^^ Love this post. Thanks Glenn.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Rocky wrote:^^^ Love this post. Thanks Glenn.
Thank you.

I admit, maybe it's a little weird to worry about a songwriter the way I am sure other normals worry about family members. "I hope he's all right!" "I hope he's not being too hard on himself because he hasn't--again--written another of the best songs in the modern rock canon!" "I hope he knows he doesn't need to make anyone happy other than himself!"

Like I've said elsewhere: perhaps we all need help. I know I do.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Rocky wrote:^^^ Love this post. Thanks Glenn.
+1
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Flea

Post by Flea »

glennrwordman wrote:
Like I've said elsewhere: perhaps we all need help. I know I do.
Now it's dark.

Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

I have been a grateful member of this board for a while now. Haven't posted much ever or in a long time. Just enjoy what others contribute. I have met people on here at shows and maybe the next day and never have met anyone other than a very cool person. I'm about 60 shows in, been to 3 Homecomings, going on 4. I have a question about human nature. I have my theory but for the true fans here, the question is, why to do people tend to eat their own? I had assumed the right-wingers that were so pissed about American Band who claimed they would no longer be fans had moved on. That's ok, good for them. DBT is not your band, fine. But the Facebook group is doing the same shit again. Criticizing the hell out of the Armageddon, Patterson's voice, minimal Cooley songs (which has been voiced here also), etc, etc. Life is too short. Are we a fan/friend of the band that has given us so many 2-3 hour breaks from the "real" life we live in during a live show? If we are, let's just enjoy what they have given us. Peace.