We need to up our game

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

We need to up our game

Post by Clams »

This weekend there were DBT rock shows in Atlanta and Louisville. One of those shows included not only a set by Drivin & Cryin but also an REM REUNION!! (well a 3/4 reunion, anyway). I know these things happened bc I saw about 30 posts and photos about them on facebook. You know where I didn't see anything? Right here on ol' 3dd. No comments, no photos, not even a setlist. I know the Facebook DBT group has been squashing 3dd for years now but we can do better than this right? I hope so.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Mundane Mayhem

Re: We need to up our game

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Clams wrote:This weekend there were DBT rock shows in Atlanta and Louisville. One of those shows included not only a set by Drivin & Cryin but also an REM REUNION!! (well a 3/4 reunion, anyway). I know these things happened bc I saw about 30 posts and photos about them on facebook. You know where I didn't see anything? Right here on ol' 3dd. No comments, no photos, not even a setlist. I know the Facebook DBT group has been squashing 3dd for years now but we can do better than this right? I hope so.
Hear, hear. I'm not on Facebook, so this is doubly important to me!
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I'm open to suggestions. A lot of the folks that have recently gotten on the DBT train hard aren't on here anymore and some of them never were. I've thought that maybe bringing back some of our weekly features back and cross pollinating them in the FB group might help. I used to promote the artist of the week over there and it definitely worked towards that end some. If anyone has suggestions let's hear them.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Clams wrote:This weekend there were DBT rock shows in Atlanta and Louisville. One of those shows included not only a set by Drivin & Cryin but also an REM REUNION!! (well a 3/4 reunion, anyway). I know these things happened bc I saw about 30 posts and photos about them on facebook. You know where I didn't see anything? Right here on ol' 3dd. No comments, no photos, not even a setlist. I know the Facebook DBT group has been squashing 3dd for years now but we can do better than this right? I hope so.
I beg your pardon! If you look over in the Fox Theatre thread, you'll clearly see that I commented on this:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
jh13 wrote:Wonder if there will really be any special guests, or if that's just pre-show hype?
Just hype. So disappointing. If you don't get all four members of R.E.M. there, it's just not much of a show, that's all I'm saying.
So there!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I'm open to suggestions. A lot of the folks that have recently gotten on the DBT train hard aren't on here anymore and some of them never were. I've thought that maybe bringing back some of our weekly features back and cross pollinating them in the FB group might help. I used to promote the artist of the week over there and it definitely worked towards that end some. If anyone has suggestions let's hear them.
I won't try to speak for Clams, but my pile-on wasn't a criticism of 3DD engagement more generally. It remains one of my favorite places on the internet and I check it nearly every day even when there's nothing going on in DBT world.

I was just agreeing that it was surprising not to see any setlists or recaps after the beginning of a tour in a region where I think this board is pretty well represented. That's all!

We're never going to "compete" with Facebook, considering that nearly half the planet uses the platform. Which is part of why I left Facebook, but that's another story for another day.

If anything, this is just a good reminder for me to keep setlists and try to engage intentionally with the great community here at 3DD. I don't think we need to see any major overhauls!
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Clams wrote:One of those shows included not only a set by Drivin & Cryin but also an REM REUNION!! (well a 3/4 reunion, anyway).
Hetch Hetchy reunion or bust!!! :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It feels like this board has been in a slow-motion death spiral for years. I don't know what gets us out of it. Maybe inviting all the MAGA rednecks from Facebook and promising to "keep politics out of muh music!!!"???
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

This has been a long term problem. There have been any number of sort of "revivals" but they always seem to fade, probably because there aren't enough regulars to support vibrant conversations on a daily (or at least regular) basis. The two obvious solutions are for those who care to post more and to attract more participants by some creative means. I personally think the quality of what's here ought to attract at least a critical mass but that has proven not to be the case and I don't have any good answers. All that said, there ought to be a way to insure that at least set lists and perhaps a review of every show be posted here. Maybe requesting in advance that a known attendee provide the basics? Could smack too much of "homework," I dunno. I'm certainly open to ideas.
They're not monsters. They're not animals.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:This has been a long term problem. There have been any number of sort of "revivals" but they always seem to fade, probably because there aren't enough regulars to support vibrant conversations on a daily (or at least regular) basis. The two obvious solutions are for those who care to post more and to attract more participants by some creative means. I personally think the quality of what's here ought to attract at least a critical mass but that has proven not to be the case and I don't have any good answers. All that said, there ought to be a way to insure that at least set lists and perhaps a review of every show be posted here. Maybe requesting in advance that a known attendee provide the basics? Could smack too much of "homework," I dunno. I'm certainly open to ideas.
Do we know why some of the old NCC crew no longer visit? What drove them away? I'm thinking of the PennyLane's of the world

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:This has been a long term problem. There have been any number of sort of "revivals" but they always seem to fade, probably because there aren't enough regulars to support vibrant conversations on a daily (or at least regular) basis. The two obvious solutions are for those who care to post more and to attract more participants by some creative means. I personally think the quality of what's here ought to attract at least a critical mass but that has proven not to be the case and I don't have any good answers. All that said, there ought to be a way to insure that at least set lists and perhaps a review of every show be posted here. Maybe requesting in advance that a known attendee provide the basics? Could smack too much of "homework," I dunno. I'm certainly open to ideas.
Do we know why some of the old NCC crew no longer visit? What drove them away? I'm thinking of the PennyLane's of the world
Penny Lane specifically had a baby and her online time plummeted. More generally, life changes affected several people. Some people only like to come around when DBT is active - on tour or a new album or the like and I think they get out of the habit between times. But that still leaves a lot of unexplained (at least to me) departures.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Zip City wrote:It feels like this board has been in a slow-motion death spiral for years. I don't know what gets us out of it. Maybe inviting all the MAGA rednecks from Facebook and promising to "keep politics out of muh music!!!"???

Facebook sucks. I quit it a year or so ago and don't miss a minute.

While 3DD site traffic might be down, with what the community has been able to accomplish with things like "The Company We Keep" book, I'd argue we are fairly healthy.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I'm not a regular poster in here (but a pretty regular reader - almost daily).This board is where I get most of the info on stuff going on with the band - and music in general. I am not in any of the DBT facebook groups. Not really into fb at all really, other than to check in on friends and family and throw in the odd 'like' now and then. Not really comfortable with voicing my opinion 'in public' on fb. I don't have the same reservation in here. Living far far away, I got very little to contribute with regards to DBT related show reviews etc. Don't know what I would do if this site went silent.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Zip City wrote:
Penny Lane specifically had a baby and her online time plummeted. More generally, life changes affected several people. Some people only like to come around when DBT is active - on tour or a new album or the like and I think they get out of the habit between times. But that still leaves a lot of unexplained (at least to me) departures.
Facebook is the culprit. I think that's where most people get their online DBT fix nowadays. If you're already on FB (and most people are) it's just so much easier to interact in the DBT group there than to come here. Fact is there really aren't that many good, active message boards left these days, at least not compared to circa 2010 before facebook took over the world. I think most message boards that serve a niche interest (and I think that description fits DBT) are suffering a similar fate to what's going on here at 3dd. I don't think there is a fix. We regulars will keep the place going but I don't think the old days are ever gonna come back (except for maybe when the new record leaks and all the old regulars will want a download :lol:).

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

pearlbeer wrote:
Zip City wrote:It feels like this board has been in a slow-motion death spiral for years. I don't know what gets us out of it. Maybe inviting all the MAGA rednecks from Facebook and promising to "keep politics out of muh music!!!"???

Facebook sucks. I quit it a year or so ago and don't miss a minute.

While 3DD site traffic might be down, with what the community has been able to accomplish with things like "The Company We Keep" book, I'd argue we are fairly healthy.
In fairness the FB group really helped with the success of that book. It would be nice to get a little more traffic around here for some in depth discussion, but I for one have no desire to compete with a FB group that has 9,000 (!!) members. That place can get tedious at times but the fact that Patterson posts there on a regular basis is a real benefit for everyone so it isn't all bad. I hope everyone is thankful for the active role he plays and the information he provides the fans.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:That place can get tedious at times but the fact that Patterson posts there on a regular basis is a real benefit for everyone so it isn't all bad. I hope everyone is thankful for the active role he plays and the information he provides the fans.
My bad for not mentioning that. The Patterson factor is a HUGE draw on facebook (it even outweighs the considerable draggage of the FB riff raff). He sees and reads pretty much everything over there and his comments are great. FWIW, I think he sees and reads most stuff here too but is obviously more limited in what he can say. Though he really could get an account here (if he hasn't done so already) and post whatever he wants.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Clams wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:That place can get tedious at times but the fact that Patterson posts there on a regular basis is a real benefit for everyone so it isn't all bad. I hope everyone is thankful for the active role he plays and the information he provides the fans.
My bad for not mentioning that. The Patterson factor is a HUGE draw on facebook (it even outweighs the considerable draggage of the FB riff raff). He sees and reads pretty much everything over there and his comments are great. FWIW, I think he sees and reads most stuff here too but is obviously more limited in what he can say. Though he really could get an account here (if he hasn't done so already) and post whatever he wants.
I always suspected LJ was Patterson. :lol:
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Clams

Post by Clams »

RolanK wrote: I always suspected LJ was Patterson. :lol:
Or Cooley

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It's a shame, because I find the FB format to be really UNFRIENDLY in terms of a readable thread of comments. Every new post pushes old (and active) ones down, whereas the most active posts stay at the top here

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Clams wrote:
Or Cooley
I had the same thought immediately after hitting the 'submit' button on my post.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Zip City wrote:It's a shame, because I find the FB format to be really UNFRIENDLY in terms of a readable thread of comments. Every new post pushes old (and active) ones down, whereas the most active posts stay at the top here
100% agree. this is why fb is designed for heckling, not insightful discussion.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

RolanK wrote:
Zip City wrote:It's a shame, because I find the FB format to be really UNFRIENDLY in terms of a readable thread of comments. Every new post pushes old (and active) ones down, whereas the most active posts stay at the top here
I'm old fashioned, and prefer to do my heckling face to face.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

LBRod wrote:
RolanK wrote:
I'm old fashioned, and prefer to do my heckling face to face.
A dying artform
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:
If he sees something here he emails me, John or Beth and we post it.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Oh, and LJ was real. I met him once.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
Clams wrote:
Or Cooley
I had the same thought immediately after hitting the 'submit' button on my post.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Either one would be great, and that's a true opinion.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Clams wrote:
If he sees something here he emails me, John or Beth and we post it.
No doubt Patterson's appearances on FB are a big draw.

I've never understood why Patterson (or the other band members for that matter) doesn't participate here*; it seems like a much more comfortable environment though of course I'm projecting my own biases. Beyond that, part of what Patterson does on FB falls into the PR/marketing category and course he's going to go where the numbers are for that purpose. TC, Patterson hasn't communicated here in quite some time and even when he did chime in here on occasion IIRC it was very much limited to correcting mistakes and basically providing factual info. He does that on FB too, but his participation goes beyond that at times.

*That's not exactly true; I think I do understand at least w/ respect to some of the band members but I think they'd enjoy it and find that the pluses outweigh the minuses. Of course my opinion on this counts for even less than usual.

BTW, I know there's no way to define this in a way that would be meaningful and even if there were there'd be no way to make the calculation, but still, I wonder what percentage 9,000 is of "active," committed DBT fans. For a popular band that's obviously a drop in the ocean but for an alleged "cult band" that could represent a significant portion. OTOH, it's not clear to me that DBT still belongs in the cult band category; again, who knows how to define these things but in terms of name recognition the band seems bigger than that now (anecdotal evidence only).

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

BTW, I know it's a different internet era, but 3dd has not yet reached 9B's peak membership, which if IIRC was either just under or just over 3K.

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

For what it is worth, the whole Three Dimes Down site needs an uplift. When you go to the Splash Page the first thing you see is a clip touting Homecoming 2017, then some English Oceans videos, the upcoming shows are from June of 2019. The page feels dated to me. I know the board is kind of its own animal, but it is connected.
Just My .02

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

bnzz wrote:For what it is worth, the whole Three Dimes Down site needs an uplift. When you go to the Splash Page the first thing you see is a clip touting Homecoming 2017, then some English Oceans videos, the upcoming shows are from June of 2019. The page feels dated to me. I know the board is kind of its own animal, but it is connected.
Just My .02
I agree. I keep forgetting to mention the 2017 HC clip and obviously all that stuff should be updated. Volunteer organizations are not always the easiest to maintain.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:Beyond that, part of what Patterson does on FB falls into the PR/marketing category and course he's going to go where the numbers are for that purpose.
I suspect, from noticing the times when Patterson posts on Facebook, that he does most of his commenting for one of two reasons: He's stuck on the bus and bored or he's enjoying it, or both. It's a low-commitment way to yak with people. If he were here, we would (on average) expect more of him, since we are a smaller group of people. That's not to say that he's unaware of the PR/marketing aspect of Facebook--I don't see how he could be!--but I think he does most of it to enjoy himself, like everyone.

Or almost everyone:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Oh, and LJ was real. I met him once.
What was he like in person? Better than online, I'm betting (and hoping!)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be