Brooklyn Bowl Six Nights of Setlists June 2019

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: Brooklyn Bowl Six Nights of Setlists June 2019

Post by Jonicont »

beantownbubba wrote:Last little bit fell a little bit short
Three Dimes Down
Wednesday
Marry Me
Dead, Drunk and Naked—>
Guitar Man Upstairs
Grand Canyon
Yeah, I’d say you got some ‘splainin’ to do
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Why are we advised to always go to the show? For several reasons, one big one of which is that you never know what you might hear that you've never heard before. Last nite's show in Hartford was big on that.

Take a look at the first 11 songs (could be 12, I don't know "Rosemary" well enough yet). Really look at them together not just as "hit songs" you love to hear. To quote Uncle Rickey, "Lotta economic anxiety in the songs so far. The real kind not the bullshit euphemism." I love that but would describe it slightly differently as something like America the way it really is. Hopefully everyone has had at least that one great teacher, the one who made learning fun, the one from whom you learned so much w/out even knowing you were learning. Last nite was like that. I felt like we all should have received a diploma or certificate or something after hearing that masterful exposition on the way things are :) I have no idea if the song order was intentional. It's hard to believe it wasn't, but we know the sets aren't planned, so I guess we should assume it wasn't. Amazing if it was intentional, absolutely astonishing if it wasn't and an example of a kind of chemistry and mind meld between musicians that one seldom sees. Great stuff. [PS This would be the "dazzling" part from my earlier post.]

Musically, most of this part of the show was fine w/out blowing me away. "Birthday Boy" was notably sedate (relatively speaking). "The Righteous Path" and "Uncle Frank" were fine but didn't quite have the customary edge. But then there was "Babies in Cages." I've heard that song several times by now, let's just call it 4x for argument's sake. But I've never heard it sound anything like this. Part dirge, part nightmare, part biblical prophet thundering down from the mountain top (I literally momentarily flashed on Patterson w/ a long white beard lol). Overwhelming.

IIRC, I talked a lot about Matt's spectacular playing at Homecoming. For the most part his playing wasn't as ear catching last nite, but in virtually every song he'd suddenly catch your ear w/ some cool riff or other. But then came "Birmingham." Cooley was smoking on guitar and Matt was, I dunno, I wish I played bass so i could describe it better, but he was definitely playing a bass part but it was almost like a second lead guitar. Along w/ Cooley's playing and Patterson's singing, the song was lifted to a higher level. "One of These Days" was similarly extraordinary as the singing and playing came together to get to that "DBT place." At this point, the guitar playing of all 3 guitarists starting coming to the fore and stayed hot the rest of the way. The 3 Decoration Day songs are always wonderful to hear and all were fine w/out being "best version ever." But from WWW on, the band found that legendary extra gear and the show just smoked. Pretty much every song was a highlight but "Iwo Jima", "Wednesday" and "Marry Me" deserve special mention. "Iwo Jima" is such a gem and Patterson did a touching intro about the last time he saw George A and then hit the emotional heart of the song hard. I guess "Wednesday" is in the rotation now but it still counts as a rarity so it was exciting to hear in any form, but I heard things in that song I've never heard or imagined before. Lift off into the stratosphere. I think that was the point that the front couple of rows of fans moved to the rail :) I have no idea how Cooley and his mates manage to keep "Marry Me" sounding fresh and vital, but damn, they sure do. Brought the house down.
Jonicont wrote:Yeah, I’d say you got some ‘splainin’ to do
For "last little bit" read "very last very little bit." Specifically, the transition from "GMU" to "Grand Canyon" just didn't work. There needed to be another song in between there. While GC served its usual role as an excellent set closer, something about that transition left me feeling like something was missing.

Jay played organ more than I can remember since his early days w/ the band. He had a couple of really nice solos on that instrument in the 2nd half of the show and was also ripping on guitar by the end. Cooley and Hood were oh so tasty on guitar all nite on both solos and, to these ears, especially on those little fills behind each other's vocals. Brad does what Brad does. I can't speak to his technical playing but as always he holds things together and keeps them cooking along.

Sound was off early in the show - more than the usual feedback and distortion (especially on organ). But things settled down after the first 30 or 40 minutes and was fine the rest of the way.

Is it Tuesday yet?
Last edited by beantownbubba on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

LagoonField

Post by LagoonField »

Thanks for all the great set lists. Definitely the Hartford and Beverly shows belong in this thread to capture a good picture of the entire week. Plenty of ground has been covered so far, running from some classics to the new songs. No complaints about variety for sure. Hope everyone is having a good time, say Hello to "LeLou" from Paris from all of us Heathens.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:Why are we advised to always go to the show? For several reasons, one big one of which is that you never know what you might hear that you've never heard before. Last nite's show in Hartford was big on that.

Take a look at the first 11 songs (could be 12, I don't know "Rosemary" well enough yet). Really look at them together not just as "hit songs" you love to hear. To quote Uncle Rickey, "Lotta economic anxiety in the songs so far. The real kind not the bullshit euphemism." I love that but would describe it slightly differently as something like America the way it really is. Hopefully everyone has had at least that one great teacher, the one who made learning fun, the one from whom you learned so much w/out even knowing you were learning. Last nite was like that. I felt like we all should have received a diploma or certificate or something after hearing that masterful exposition on the way things are :) I have no idea if the song order was intentional. It's hard to believe it wasn't, but we know the sets aren't planned, so I guess we should assume it wasn't. Amazing if it was intentional, absolutely astonishing if it wasn't and an example of a kind of chemistry and mind meld between musicians that one seldom sees. Great stuff.

Musically, most of this part of the show was fine w/out blowing me away. "Birthday Boy" was notably sedate (relatively speaking). "The Righteous Path" and "Uncle Frank" were fine but didn't quite have the customary edge. But then there was "Babies in Cages." I've heard that song several times by now, let's just call it 4x for argument's sake. But I've never heard it sound anything like this. Part dirge, part nightmare, part biblical prophet thundering down from the mountain top (I literally momentarily flashed on Patterson w/ a long white beard lol). Overwhelming.

IIRC, I talked a lot about Matt's spectacular playing at Homecoming. For the most part his playing wasn't as ear catching last nite, but in virtually every song he'd suddenly catch your ear w/ some cool riff or other. But then came "Birmingham." Cooley was smoking on guitar and Matt was, I dunno, I wish I played bass so i could describe it better, but he was definitely playing a bass part but it was almost like a second lead guitar. Along w/ Cooley's playing and Patterson's singing, the song was lifted to a higher level. "One of These Days" was similarly extraordinary as the singing and playing came together to get to that "DBT place." At this point, the guitar playing of all 3 guitarists starting coming to the fore and stayed hot the rest of the way. The 3 Decoration Day songs are always wonderful to hear and all were fine w/out being "best version ever." But from WWW on, the band found that legendary extra gear and the show just smoked. Pretty much every song was a highlight but "Iwo Jima", "Wednesday" and "Marry Me" deserve special mention. "Iwo Jima" is such a gem and Patterson did a touching intro about the last time he saw George A and then hit the emotional heart of the song hard. I guess "Wednesday" is in the rotation now but it still counts as a rarity so it was exciting to hear in any form, but I heard things in that song I've never heard or imagined before. Lift off into the stratosphere. I think that was the point that the front couple of rows of fans moved to the rail :) I have no idea how Cooley and his mates manage to keep "Marry Me" sounding fresh and vital, but damn, they sure do. Brought the house down.
Jonicont wrote:Yeah, I’d say you got some ‘splainin’ to do
For "last little bit" read "very last very little bit." Specifically, the transition from "GMU" to "Grand Canyon" just didn't work. There needed to be another song in between there. While GC served its usual role as an excellent set closer, something about that transition left me feeling like something was missing.

Jay played organ more than I can remember since his early days w/ the band. He had a couple of really nice solos on that instrument in the 2nd half of the show and was also ripping on guitar by the end. Cooley and Hood were oh so tasty on guitar all nite on both solos and, to these ears, especially on those little fills behind each other's vocals. Brad does what Brad does. I can't speak to his technical playing but as always he holds things together and keeps them cooking along.

Sound was off early in the show - more than the usual feedback and distortion (especially on organ). But things settled down after the first 30 or 40 minutes and was fine the rest of the way.

Is it Tuesday yet?
Bubba if I may attempt to summarize for you, what you're saying is that Hartford was good but not great. I get it, I felt the same way about opening night in Brooklyn last week. There's nothing wrong with that, especially given all the transcendent shows we've all seen over the years. Certain shows are the stuff of legend and there have been so many of those. Other shows, while still good, are just more pedestrian.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:Bubba if I may attempt to summarize for you, what you're saying is that Hartford was good but not great. I get it, I felt the same way about opening night in Brooklyn last week. There's nothing wrong with that, especially given all the transcendent shows we've all seen over the years. Certain shows are the stuff of legend and there have been so many of those. Other shows, while still good, are just more pedestrian.
It all depends on how short a summary you want. In 3 word, yes, I agree. But the way the first part of the set played out was new to me and blew my mind in a way totally different from how we normally apply that term to DBT, so I think it's worth mentioning. But yeah, that plus "Babies in Cages" and maybe "Wednesday" and "Birmingham" would probably do for a summary.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Just in case anybody missed it, I thought this post from Steve in CT Needs a Drink should be posted w/ the rest of the Hartford discussion.

So holy fuck I just gotta throw this out there cause my ears are still ringing from the show & I am basically stone cold sober right now except for an extreme rock n’ roll high! I woke up at 3:30 am yesterday for work after about 5 hours of shitty broken sleep & wasn’t sure how I was gonna do a rock show later that night. Got to work, got my coffee, immediately blasted DBT all day in my truck to get me pumped up & in the mood to go to the show. Felt great for a few hours, caffeine surging through my veins & singing at the top of my lungs like a madman. 10 am comes & I’m yawning & wanting to go home & get a nap in whenever my seemingly endless work day ends. Wife calls, asks if I’m going to the show. I tell her I’m not sure cause I’m super fucking tired. She knows I’m full of shit & so do I. Your favorite band doesn’t play in your home state 30 mins from your house & you don’t go. You just don’t do that. I’ve travelled to more states to see this fucking band than I ever had any business being in. Granted I’ve done my share of traveling but this band is one of the reasons I’ve gone to so many different places. Entire vacations based around a 2 or 3 night run. So anyways a few hours later Bill calls me up & asks when I’m heading to the brewery for the pregame. Ticket is immediately purchased. So we do the Hanging Hills & enjoy some very tasty beers, hanging with awesome people like always & having a great goddamn time. Head over to the show & it’s a seated venue with GA behind the seats. Why they even have the seats I do not know. Been there before for DBT & it’s just weird whenever they start a show & half the crowd is seated. Didn’t know what kind of shape or mood the band would be in after tearing up Brooklyn the previous 3 nights & now playing this gig in Hartford. Surely they must be tired or hungover or something right? I know they’re rock stars but they are human after all so I didn’t know what was to come. And then they preceded to play with a fire & intensity that I can’t even explain in words. You had to just be there. It was almost like a fuck you to the seats & they were gonna just play so fucking fast & loud that if you feel anything at all when it comes to music how in the hell could you possibly sit through it? The boys were here, & they were here to play, & they were gonna kick your ass & make sure you got every penny’s worth of your ticket price. This was my 50th something show. I’ve lost count really but this has to be top 5 of all of them for me. I know it’s easy to say that right after the show but the playing tonight was a force to be reckoned with. Made Up English Oceans was simply fucking amazing. Patterson’s playing throughout that song was just unreal. I’ve seen that one live I don’t even know how many times but this version tonight, my God it was just mind blowing. I turned to Fronz when it was over & he says to me “That’s the best live version of that I’ve ever seen!” which just so happens to be the exact same thing I wanted to say to him at the exact same time. It’s a pity I didn’t see any tapers at the show because this is one I would listen to constantly if I had the chance. Birmingham was just spectacular, & Wednesday, holy fucking hell did they just kick the shit out of everybody there with that one. They jammed the shit out of the end of that & my head was ready to explode it was so good. Babies in Cages has progressed so much since I first heard it about a year ago & I’m really hoping the album version sounds anything close to the way they played it tonight. Fucking phenomenal. God damn I can’t say enough good things about this band. I’ve been awake over 22 hours now & I’m not tired one bit. There is no better high in the world than the high from music but perhaps I should go smoke a bowl & try to get to bed. Not sure how it’s gonna happen though because I have nothing but rock n’ roll surging through my entire being right now. Jesus Christ I love music, & fucking hell I love this band. Always follow a wise man’s advice like I try to do & please, always go to the show!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

We should just consolidate all setlists into one thread.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:We should just consolidate all setlists into one thread.
See? This is how they getcha. They start out talking all sweet and harmless sounding and it all sounds good and then before you know it they're coming out w/ all sorts of crazy commie talk. ;)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Uncle Rickey on the ball with the quick setlist posting despite a horrendous round trip travel schedule, so we'll give him a pass for posting it in the wrong thread.

Beverly, MA:

Self-Destructive Zones
After the Scene Dies
Women Without Whiskey
Why Henry Drinks
Sounds Better in the Song
(Something’s Got to) Give Pretty Soon
Slow Ride Argument
Babies in Cages
Filthy and Fried
The Righteous Path
Zip City
Awaiting Resurrection
Surrender Under Protest
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
Made Up English Oceans
Rosemary with a Bible and a Gun
Three Dimes Down
Wednesday
Marry Me
The Tough Sell
A Ghost to Most
Sinkhole
Ramon Casiano
Ronnie and Neil
Gravity’s Gone
Lookout Mountain

Some nights the rock show just fucking rocks. This was one of those nights. Hard, fast and loud almost from beginning to end, so it's noteworthy that one of the highest highlights for me was a wonderful slow and softish rendition of "Sounds Better in the Song" by one M. Cooley. Several surprises, e.g "After the Scene Dies" and "The Tough Sell", tons of highlights. A strange "interlude" in the middle where "Made Up English Oceans," "3DD" & "Wednesday" were played incredibly fast and "Marry Me was played somewhat faster than usual (but very powerfully). We've all commented many times on Cooley's phrasing but I have no idea how he got all the words in on "English Oceans" when the band was galloping away at warp speed. 26 songs overall in just a hair over 2 hours is a lot of songs in not a lot of time. Patterson contributed to the quick pace by barely speaking to the crowd which in my experience is unusual but not unheard of. OTOH, he did introduce all the band members, which he hasn't been doing much of lately.

By the end the crowd was pretty much in a frenzy and continued to cheer really enthusiastically, loudly and steadily even after the canned music came on and the lights came up. For a couple of minutes there I thought the band might actually come back because an encore would have been truly earned and very much appreciated by the crowd, which seemed capable of staying there all night. It was not to be but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say w/out fear of contradiction that nobody went home feeling cheated or dissatisfied. Even w/ the opportunity to sit from time to time I was wrung out and exhausted by the end and all i did was watch and listen lol.

I could make an only slightly exaggerated case for pretty much every song after "Self Destructive Zones" being a highlight (that's no knock on SDZ, which was fine). Like I said the band rocked hard and was locked in virtually from the get go and wonderful versions of kick ass tunes abounded. WWW really took things up a notch or 3. "Babies in Cages" continues to evolve and sounded great, though I preferred the Hartford version while Uncle Rickey and Cooleygirl voted for the Beverly performance. Even among this cornucopia of musical riches "Ramon Casiano" stood out, in part because Brad and Matt kicked some serious ass on that one and both lead and backing vocals were inspired. I didn't catch nearly all the words to "Awaiting Resurrection" but on first hearing, it sounds like a definite winner from P. Hood.

Cooley had the line of the night after "Surrender Under Protest:"

"Rebellions come in many forms and barbecue is not a verb."

I don't think I can add anything to that.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

"Rebellions come in many forms and barbecue is not a verb"

If I were a neuroscientist I would want to study Cooley's brain. He's clearly operating on a higher level of consciousness than the rest of us.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:"Rebellions come in many forms and barbecue is not a verb"

If I were a neuroscientist I would want to study Cooley's brain. He's clearly operating on a higher level of consciousness than the rest of us.
Yup.

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Smitty wrote:"Rebellions come in many forms and barbecue is not a verb"

Yup.
It's just good weed.
Now it's dark.

semihardcheese

Post by semihardcheese »

Good grief, I appreciate this forum so much.

Fellow Heathens, I have a confession to make: While it’s been eons since I posted here, and certainly not since relocating from SF to NYC, I’ve been peeking through your blinds the whole time. Please forgive my trespass. First round’s on me.

Okay, glad to get that out of the way. I feel better now, thank you. One of these days I may even get around to visiting the Newbies Introduction page, and doing the right thing for a change. But for now we have more pressing matters to consider.

Which brings us to the question of Happy Hour this Friday at the Brooklyn Bowl. Having bought the ticket to take the ride, (after more internal debate than was probably called for), I am left to ponder if there will also be an opportunity to meet some of you prolific posters and moderators at Soundcheck, or if I’m the only fool on this corner. So if y’all could provide a show of hands… okay, scratch that – sounds too much like consolidating.

Suffice it to say I can’t think of a better way to spend a late afternoon in late June, and I’ll just assume I’m not alone in this belief. The after-glow from a weekend like this past one is the sort of thing that, for me anyway, tends to last several days. Sometimes about a week. Then I just wish we could do it all over again. And now, here we are. More than this I will not ask.

What I’m trying to say here is two things. First, just thank you. For your accounts of the events, and your anecdotes over the years about these memory making nights we’ve had the privilege to enjoy. Serious thanks for that. And I hope to make your acquaintance this weekend, as we knock back the second half of this summer six-pack in Brooklyn.

See you...there.
Eric

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

^^^
Great post, Eric! I have no doubt you’ll run into many of the folks from around here at soundcheck.

When you were peeking through the blinds, is this what you saw?
Bubba is the one with his mouth open. ;)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

semihardcheese

Post by semihardcheese »

bovine knievel wrote:^^^
I'll never tell. Although I think I see my nephew in that picture.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Great post, Eric! I have no doubt you’ll run into many of the folks from around here at soundcheck.

Just cause I open my mouth don't mean I got something to say.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:

You’re beginning to see the light :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Eric—Do you know our resident cheesemeister Jimmy C?
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

If anyone needs tickets for Friday night (6/28) I've got two extras.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

You’re beginning to see the light :lol:
"Wine in the morning and some breakfast at night"--one of my favorite Grateful Dead lyrics!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

semihardcheese

Post by semihardcheese »

Jonicont wrote:Eric—Do you know our resident cheesemeister Jimmy C?
No. I didn't even know we had a cheesemeister.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

semihardcheese wrote:
Cheese importer for Zabars
Always go to the show

semihardcheese

Post by semihardcheese »

Jonicont wrote:
semihardcheese wrote:
I'll be sure to ask for him next time I stop in.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

semihardcheese wrote:
Jonicont wrote:
semihardcheese wrote:
I'll be sure to ask for him next time I stop in.
Eli’s joint upper east side
Always go to the show

whatwouldcooleydo?

John A Arkansawyer wrote:"Wine in the morning and some breakfast at night"--one of my favorite Grateful Dead lyrics!
Is that an attempt at a prank or are you into the canned heat again?

As for your favorite Grateful Dead lyric, I always see you as more of a "wherever he goes the people all complain" kind of guy ;)
Last edited by whatwouldcooleydo? on Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Here's the Beverly recording from a taper who truly covers a ton of ground doing his taping work. He's pert near a legend these days

https://bt.etree.org/details.php?torrentId=605965

Drive-By Truckers
The Cabot Cinema
Beverly, Massachusetts
6/25/2019

Source: Schoeps CCM4V'S>Lunatec V2>Sound Devices 722 (24/44.1)
FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC/AARP Center Section, Row P, Seat 103 6 1/2' High
DSP: Sound Devices 722>Sound Forge 10.0>CD Wave>flac(16)
ID3 Tagged In Foobar 2000
Recorded By: Z-Man
Seeded By: Z-Man

Disc I

01 Greeting And Announcements By Casey Soward
02 House PA Family Affair/Greeting
03 Self Destructive Zones >
04 After The Scene Dies >
05 Women Without Whiskey
06 Why Henry Drinks
07 Sounds Better In The Song >
08 (Something's Got To) Give Pretty Soon
09 Slow Ride Argument
10 ?
11 Filthy And Fried >
12 Righteous Path
13 Zip City
14 ?

Disc II

01 Surrender Under Protest
02 Darkened Flags On The Cusp Of Dawn
03 ? >
04 Rosemary With A Bible And A Gun
05 3 Dimes Down >
06 ?
07 Marry Me >
08 The Tough Sell
09 A Ghost To Most
10 Sink Hole
11 Ramon Casiano >
12 Ronnie And Neil
13 Gravity's Gone >
14 Lookout Mountain

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

^^^ Nice surprise. I didn't notice any tapers. Thanks!!

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:^^^ Nice surprise. I didn't notice any tapers. Thanks!!
you probably weren't hanging out back in FOB/DFC/KFC/ZFC/AARP Center Section, Row P :lol:

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:"Wine in the morning and some breakfast at night"--one of my favorite Grateful Dead lyrics!
This ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing. This is no prank:

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:As for your favorite Grateful Dead lyric, I always see you as more of a "wherever he goes the people all complain" kind of guy ;)
There are maybe six sentences in that song I'm one hundred percent certain I understand. That is indeed one of them. ;-)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
This ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing. This is no prank:

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:As for your favorite Grateful Dead lyric, I always see you as more of a "wherever he goes the people all complain" kind of guy ;)
There are maybe six sentences in that song I'm one hundred percent certain I understand. That is indeed one of them. ;-)
Funny you quote Senor: I listened to Changing of the Guards and Senor.... on endless repeat today. The rest of Street Legal didn’t get endless repeat. I am a bit obsessed with those two songs at the moment. Happily surprised that no neighbors with pitchforks appeared at my door