Ladies & gentlemen...the Rolling Stones!

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Ladies & gentlemen...the Rolling Stones!

Post by chuckrh »

The Stones are doing a North American tour in the spring. 14-16 shows & Seattle made the cut this time. The Stones have been a huge part of my life. When I was 17, I conned my parents into letting me drive to Boulder from Seattle for the Some Girls tour. Thought Keith was going to jail for a long time & I had to go. It was magical & as a bonus Peter Tosh was 1 of the opening acts. Have seen them over 20 times everywhere from a 1200 seat club (expensive) to stadiums. There is still a power to seeing Keith & Mick come out on stage. Looks like Seattle in the middle of the tour, which is good with them. While they aren't in their prime, they are still legends & I'll be there for sure. This is a pipe dream, but DBT sure would make an excellent opener for them! I think Patterson would most likely agree, haha. Pic below is how they are letting the chosen cities know a show is coming. Rumour has it the big announcement is Friday. This is Century Link Field in Seattle. Woo hoo!

roland

Re: Ladies & gentlemen...the Rolling Stones!

Post by roland »

I saw them on the Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon tours, thinking both times that it would be my last chance to see them. What a fucking R&R machine! Probably can't catch them this tour due to money and my knees, but I'm confident they'll come around yet again.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Charlie is 78 now! The laws of probability would show that 1 of the main 3 will kick if not retire in near future. I think they could continue without Ronnie (no offense) but if MIck, Keith or Charlie aren't there that will be it. Now if we could just chase Chuck Leavell.... :mrgreen:

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Saw them in Columbus, OH for the first time on the Licks tour in 2002. The White Stripes opened and the Stones were highlighting a different of their classic albums each night if I remember correctly. We got Beggar's Banquet, so I got to hear No Expectations, Stray Cat Blues, Street Fighting Man and Sympathy For the Devil. I thoroughly enjoyed the show, so excited to see them for the first time.

Saw them again at Churchill Downs in Louisville on the Bigger Bang tour in 2006. Show was fine, but our seats were horrible, awful place to see a concert. Alice Cooper opened, which was awesome since I had never gotten to see him. Still enjoyed the show, just not as much as the first one.

All that said, if they come to Nashville or Cincy, I'll probably go, just because you never know if it'll be the last time. Even though I saw Petty 10+ times, I'm still kicking myself for not catching him on what proved to be his last tour.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

chuckrh wrote:Charlie is 78 now! The laws of probability would show that 1 of the main 3 will kick if not retire in near future.
Since when have The Rolling Stones obeyed the law?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
chuckrh wrote:Charlie is 78 now! The laws of probability would show that 1 of the main 3 will kick if not retire in near future.
Since when have The Rolling Stones obeyed the law?
The Stones ARE the law
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

FYI

http://www.rollingstones.com/tickets/

Pre-Sale starts tomorrow. You can sign up to get a pre-sale code.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I'm trying for tickets today. Probably upper deck. I've seen them over 20 times & can't really justify spending huge $ this time. It's a spectacle & a little distance is fine. The sound at Century Link in Seattle is actually good. Best stadium sound I've experienced.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

chuckrh wrote:I'm trying for tickets today. Probably upper deck. I've seen them over 20 times & can't really justify spending huge $ this time. It's a spectacle & a little distance is fine. The sound at Century Link in Seattle is actually good. Best stadium sound I've experienced.

I did the same thing. Nosebleed, who cares. However, in the parenting move of the year, I was able to parlay the cost savings into 4 tickets. Which means I can take my girls (6 and 8) to see the Stones. I mean, after that, my job as a Dad is pretty much done right?
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

pearlbeer wrote:
chuckrh wrote:I'm trying for tickets today. Probably upper deck. I've seen them over 20 times & can't really justify spending huge $ this time. It's a spectacle & a little distance is fine. The sound at Century Link in Seattle is actually good. Best stadium sound I've experienced.

I did the same thing. Nosebleed, who cares. However, in the parenting move of the year, I was able to parlay the cost savings into 4 tickets. Which means I can take my girls (6 and 8) to see the Stones. I mean, after that, my job as a Dad is pretty much done right?
Good job paulbeer! I helped raise my goddaughter & when she was about 12 took her to see the Who. She loved them. It was a nice night. I got the exact seats I wanted. ADA tickets in the front of the upper deck about even with the end of the catwalk on the Keith side. We've sat there before for U2 & Metallica & they are about perfect for me. My friend likes them too. She's never seen the Stones & is quite excited. Paid $100 a ticket which isn't out of line. I've spent a LOT more than that for the Stones in the past. Of course 1 of those times was for a club show, so I got bragging rights on that. The Hard Rock in Vegas before remodel on the Licks tour. Great show but the band was actually better the next night at MGM Grand. Sticky Fingers night & they were phenomenal. I've seen the Stones over 20 times & have a feeling this will be the last time. I'm going in without excessive expectations. They will mostly play the hits with a few ringers & that's fine. I'm seeing them about halfway through the tour, which is good with them. Have the bugs worked out but not burnt out yet. I've seen some shows that went off the rails in a spectacular fashion haha. Some others that were the definition of rock music. I'm quietly lobbying for DBT to open. It won't happen but its a nice thought. They would be an excellent fit musically, IMHO. :)

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Closest show to me is Chicago, which is about 7 hours each way, so I won't be catching them on this tour. I was hoping for Nashville, Cincy or even Atlanta, but oh well.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

rlipps wrote:Closest show to me is Chicago, which is about 7 hours each way, so I won't be catching them on this tour. I was hoping for Nashville, Cincy or even Atlanta, but oh well.
Charlie is 78 now. There may not be many more tours....

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

https://www.bsc.edu/communications/news ... cture.html

Legendary Rolling Stones keyboardist turned conservationist to headline annual Stump Entrepreneurship Lecture at Birmingham Southern College. Grammy winner and world-renowned rock keyboardist Chuck Leavell of the Rolling Stones has spent his life performing with famous artists. But in addition to playing keys, he’s also hugging trees. Leavell will deliver the college’s 2019 Stump Entrepreneurship Lecture on “Natural Resource Stewardship and Partnerships” on Thursday, March 14. Leavell will speak at 7 p.m. in Munger Auditorium on campus. His talk is free and open to the public.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

some interesting opening acts for the stones this time around. we're getting Lukas Nelson & POTR in seattle. yay!

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:some interesting opening acts for the stones this time around. we're getting Lukas Nelson & POTR in seattle. yay!

Damn, what did Seattle do to deserve that?

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

chuckrh wrote:some interesting opening acts for the stones this time around. we're getting Lukas Nelson & POTR in seattle. yay!

Whiskey Myers in Chicago, I really like WM
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I suspect that the Stones are the only band are the only band that can afford to do a tour w/ 4 days in between shows. That has to be incredibly expensive.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

the excitement builds, tour starts friday. there's a picture on IORR of the stage & it looks like the b-stage might be returning. they've been practicing some interesting stuff. fingerprint file, mercy mercy, a few others. 2 months to go for me. saw promise of the real on colbert the other night. they were really good. it looks like micah nelson is playing with them outside of the neil young shows now. both of willie's boys have some talent!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:I suspect that the Stones are the only band are the only band that can afford to do a tour w/ 4 days in between shows. That has to be incredibly expensive.
i'm pretty sure they have 2 stage set ups hop scotching each other. lot of days setting up, whole day to tear down. i know this isn't 1978 but i still love the stones & am pretty sure this is going to be the last chance to see them. i actually got to meet keith once. that was about the top of my adventures working in the music biz.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I suspect that the Stones are the only band are the only band that can afford to do a tour w/ 4 days in between shows. That has to be incredibly expensive.
i'm pretty sure they have 2 stage set ups hop scotching each other. lot of days setting up, whole day to tear down. i know this isn't 1978 but i still love the stones & am pretty sure this is going to be the last chance to see them. i actually got to meet keith once. that was about the top of my adventures working in the music biz.
How did I not know about you and Keef until now? That's whatever comes after way cool 8-)

Yeah, from my understanding the 2 stage hopscotch thing is how the mega tours are done, but still, 4 days between shows especially (but not only) multiple shows in the same location, is far from standard. I assume it's related either to Mick's recent health problems or to old age generally, but whatever the reason, it's gotta be awfully expensive.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Here's a link to the opening recording

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=652231

Rolling Stones
Soldier Field
Chicago, Illinois
June 21, 2019

Source: Church Audio CA-11 cards => UGLY pre-amp => Tascam DR-2D (16-bit)
Transfer: DR-2D => WAV => Magix Audio Cleaning Lab => WAV => FLAC (level 8)

Contrast clause: a 24-bit version of this recording is available here:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=652177

Setlist:

(1) Entrance (1:00)
(2) Street Fighting Man (4:21)
(3) Let's Spend The Night Together (4:26)
(4) Tumbling Dice (5:12)
(5) Sad Sad Sad (5:00)
(6) You Got Me Rocking (4:14)
(7) You Can't Always Get What You Want (7:56)
(8) B-stage music (0:46)
(9) Angie (3:50)
(10) Dead Flowers (4:16)
(11) Sympathy For The Devil (7:23)
(12) Honky Tonk Women (4:20)
(13) Band introductions (4:40)
(14) You Got The Silver (3:43)
(15) Before They Make Me Run (4:26)
(16) Miss You (8:13)
(17) Paint It Black (5:37)
(18) Midnight Rambler (12:16)
(19) Start Me Up (4:34)
(20) Jumping Jack Flash (4:35)
(21) Brown Sugar (5:28)
(22) Encore break (2:26)
(23) Gimme Shelter (6:45)
(24) (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (7:02)

Md5 signature file is included. Sorry, no artwork (feel free to make some)

Comments:

Opening night of the North American leg of the Stones' "No Filter" tour. The setlist is mostly a continuation of the 2018 performances, with the exception of "Sad Sad Sad" taking the slot of a new song, and "You Got Me Rocking" as the fan vote (I suspect the ballot box was "stuffed," since I don't know anyone who likes that song). Very solid career retrospective for casual fans, who of course are the target audience of stadium shows. As much as I would have liked to see some additional deep cuts, the setlist met my expectations.

In terms of performance, when you watch Mick and Ron onstage, it is hard to believe that they are 75 and 72, respectively. The two of them worked the full width of the stage nonstop with enthusiasm and showed no sign of wearing out. Keith, on the other hand, I felt looked and sounded every bit of his 75 years; his guitar licks were much more economical and his overall presence was far more reserved than prior tours. He still has the chops, but he seems to have scaled down his involvement.

I was really happy with the recording overall. I was front row side stage, slightly out of line with the left stack. I would have liked to have been one section to the right, but overall the sound was good. I deliberately wore a heavy leather jacket with the collar flipped up to shield the mics (thank you, 58-degree "summer" Chicago weather) and it blocked out the cheers and chatting of my neighbors. There is practically no crowd interference, which is great.

This was a fun show overall, and though obviously I haven't spent much time with the recording (the show ended 2 1/2 hours ago as I write this), I think people will find it enjoyable. There were some opening night flubs -- Ron missed the cue for a couple guitar solo, "Satisfaction" got tangled up in the coda, and the first few numbers had some gaffes -- but overall a really solid performance. There were some issues with the sound (particularly the vocals, which inexplicably dropped down in the mix periodically) but I think on a casual listen it won't be noticeable.

There may be sources that come from $2500 rigs (and I hope there are) but in the meantime, I thought this would be an acceptable document of the show for those who are interested.

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I listened to the above tape. They are sounding pretty good for first night of the tour. They are never going to make everyone happy but this is a solid 2 hour set. Ronnie is playing very well & Keith will come around. & no outright clunkers (Emotional Rescue, i'm talking to you!). interesting they've dropped "its only r & r". perhaps the lyrics hit a bit too close to home for mick.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

chuckrh wrote:I listened to the above tape. They are sounding pretty good for first night of the tour. They are never going to make everyone happy but this is a solid 2 hour set. Ronnie is playing very well & Keith will come around. & no outright clunkers (Emotional Rescue, i'm talking to you!). interesting they've dropped "its only r & r". perhaps the lyrics hit a bit too close to home for mick.

Don't you be dissin' Emotional Rescue now! One of my favorites!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Flea

Post by Flea »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
chuckrh wrote:I listened to the above tape. They are sounding pretty good for first night of the tour. They are never going to make everyone happy but this is a solid 2 hour set. Ronnie is playing very well & Keith will come around. & no outright clunkers (Emotional Rescue, i'm talking to you!). interesting they've dropped "its only r & r". perhaps the lyrics hit a bit too close to home for mick.

It took me years to realize, but ER is a fun little album. It's not canonical, but it IS enjoyable as a relic of its time.

Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

I’d argue that the very best version of Sad Sad Sad ever played, assuming such creature actually exists, is still 100% outright clunker

Also, I’d prefer to hear most anything from Emotional Rescue over You Got Me Rocking. They just keep running that one out there from tour to tour :roll:

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

i was talking the song ER not the album. there's plenty of good stuff on it.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
I’d argue that the very best version of Sad Sad Sad ever played, assuming such creature actually exists, is still 100% outright clunker

Also, I’d prefer to hear most anything from Emotional Rescue over You Got Me Rocking. They just keep running that one out there from tour to tour :roll:
Keith likes the rif on YGMR, so i give that one a pass. it was in the fan vote section so won't be on every show.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

No "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"?

Leaving your best song off of your set lists is a bold choice
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever