June/July shows: Brooklyn x 6 (!), Toronto x 3, etc.

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Vincent

Re: June/July shows: Brooklyn x 6 (!), Toronto x 3, etc.

Post by Vincent »

Mixing it up a little and went for Toronto x3.
Dave

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Vincent wrote:Mixing it up a little and went for Toronto x3.
Nice!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:BTW I think somebody ought to notice for the record that, HOLY SHIT, THE BOYS ARE DOING A SIX NITE RUN IN THE BIG APPLE!!! As Ronnie Hawkins said to Bill Graham at the Last Waltz, big time...big time!!
hold my electric Kool-Aid!

I know, I know. Apples and oranges on steroids, but still, I had to :lol:
No, it's an accomplishment worth celebrating. By the fifth night, they were through with Dark Star. I believe that made the Guinness Book of World Records.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:BTW I think somebody ought to notice for the record that, HOLY SHIT, THE BOYS ARE DOING A SIX NITE RUN IN THE BIG APPLE!!! As Ronnie Hawkins said to Bill Graham at the Last Waltz, big time...big time!!

No, it's an accomplishment worth celebrating. By the fifth night, they were through with Dark Star. I believe that made the Guinness Book of World Records.
Bless yer heart
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Zip City wrote:Any chance they do an MMJ-style “play a different album front to back each night” thing?
I'm not sure I see this happening with DBT considering the amount of tunes that Tucker/Isbell/Malone sing on the classic records but how amazing it would be...
The Fox would be the perfect place for SRO. Malone only does a few on that one and Patterson has covered one of them. Plus Chris and Kevn could help out
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

If we are playing that game. 13 sold out nights at The Garden over two weeks with no repeats.

This run will be absolutely killer. I would have been all over it if it wasn't sandwiched between 6 Phish summer tour dates that I already hold tix for.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

In for Brooklyn nights 3 and 6

Ruffian86

Post by Ruffian86 »

Well guys... I'm in!!! New York here I come!!!!
Let's get on with the shit show

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Doing Fri/Sat/Fri/Sat in Brooklyn.

I may try to do a pre-game for 3DD folks in my apartment one of the two Saturdays. (It IS a NYC-sized apartment, so gotta think on that!)

I'd be happy to help any non-NYC folks with travel tips, dining suggestions, etc.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

beantownbubba wrote: While I would not describe my plan is dumb, your plan has much to recommend it. I don't think it's likely but I haven't written it off yet either.
Of course your plan is not dumb. I was just being petulant and self-serving. Possibly laugh off the ludicrous dig (because of course going to a rock show with 9 of your closest friends is never a dumb plan) and be flattered that I MISS YOU.

Can't you do a boys weekend with Clams or something? I've always wanted to meet him and I'm really miserable right now because I'm hurt and I can't ride. It might make me feel better if I had someone to blame. (When did I become so self-serving??)
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I've never been out of the United States,
Then you should go get a passport and come to Toronto for these shows. Toronto feels like an American city. It will be a good gateway drug to the travel experience, for you. If I didn't have an inane passion for stupid, expensive equestrian sports, I would spend all my money on travel. Once you've come here and your travel confidence is bolstered, then you can use that passport to go to other awesome places. This will change your life.
John A Arkansawyer wrote:and given how the news is lately, I'm not sure but what being out of the country on the Fourth of July might not be wise.

I don't know what that means. The 4th of July is a non-event here. We are a different country with our own holidays. July 4th = another, regular day. If one works in finance, it is a quiet day because the American markets are closed. This is the only impact I have ever felt on the 4th.
John A Arkansawyer wrote:What's the venue like?
The venue is my favourite venue in Toronto. It's probably one of the smaller venues DBT play at this point in their existence, though Brooklyn Bowl's not much bigger. Capacity is 550 and sight lines are fucking great. Sound quality is usually amazing. I've seen hundreds of shows there, including DBT. It will be really good.

John A Arkansawyer wrote:How expensive is Toronto?
Toronto is pretty expensive, not London/Paris/NYC expensive, but maybe comparable with Chicago? But you can get by cheaply by making smart decisions. Also, your currency is way stronger than ours, so that will help you. It's also very walkable and the weather is usually lovely that time of year.
John A Arkansawyer wrote:If I have a marketable skill, can I stay?
Probably.
John A Arkansawyer wrote:Do I need to bring a French-English dictionary?
No. Toronto is an English city. French is not used here (sadly). That would not be a good use of space in your luggage.

Honestly, if you have the means to do it, you should come. You should also bring your child. They would love it here and it would probably be a wonderful experience for them.

It's a short week here because Canada Day (our national holiday) is also that week and I have no idea where I'll be, but if I'm around, I will show you around one day. I haven't bought any tix to shows because I'm not actually sure I will be here. I usually don't go anywhere in summer because I like to compete in horse-shows, but I'm broken so that might not happen this year. I may just fuck off up to a cottage by the lake. But I am happy to act as a resource.

If Bubba comes, I will endeavour to be in town for a bit because he's my friend and I would love to see him.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

Jonicont wrote:11/2/2013--Toronto--at the Phoenix--one of the best shows--great crowd. And the only time I saw the crowd bring the band back for a second encore. IIRC, you were there Bubba
The Phoenix is a really good venue, but Lee's is way better. Lee's is the best.

Ruffian86

Post by Ruffian86 »

Do Americans have to have passports for Canada?

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

Ruffian86 wrote:Do Americans have to have passports for Canada?
Yes. There is also something called an enhanced drivers license that works, but I don't really know what that is.

John A Arkansawyer

PonyGirl wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:and given how the news is lately, I'm not sure but what being out of the country on the Fourth of July might not be wise.

I don't know what that means. The 4th of July is a non-event here. We are a different country with our own holidays. July 4th = another, regular day.
That is exactly what I mean. I think, for the first time in my life, I kind of want that.
John A Arkansawyer wrote:What's the venue like?
The venue is my favourite venue in Toronto. It's probably one of the smaller venues DBT play at this point in their existence, though Brooklyn Bowl's not much bigger. Capacity is 550 and sight lines are fucking great. Sound quality is usually amazing. I've seen hundreds of shows there, including DBT. It will be really good.
PonyGirl wrote:Honestly, if you have the means to do it, you should come. You should also bring your child. They would love it here and it would probably be a wonderful experience for them.
I probably won't, but that you just said I should bring the kid is making me think very hard about finding a way.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Clams

Post by Clams »

PonyGirl wrote: Can't you do a boys weekend with Clams or something? I've always wanted to meet him and I'm really miserable right now because I'm hurt and I can't ride. It might make me feel better if I had someone to blame. (When did I become so self-serving??)
1. You don't need to meet me to blame me.
2. Would love to meet you too but it will not happen in Toronto this summer. Come to NYC!
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

Still debating my Brooklyn plans-- figure three nights over the two weekends-- but mourn the fact that the shut-down L train is going to make it a big pain in the butt to get there from Manhattan. From Greenwich Village, looks like I'll have to go north for 42d street, switch trains to Queens, and then switch to a G train to a spot not too far from the Brooklyn Bowl. (The L train was one quick hop from Williamsburgh into Manhattan.) Perhaps some of us Village types should organize a share-an-Uber for the return trip. Still, most happy to look forward to multiple rock shows.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

PonyGirl wrote:
Ruffian86 wrote:Do Americans have to have passports for Canada?
Yes. There is also something called an enhanced drivers license that works, but I don't really know what that is.

Based on observations at multiple points of entry, bring a passport if at all possible. Seems like a lot of immigration officials are not that familiar w/ acceptable alternatives and you just don't need the hassle. And if your uncle tells you that you don't need a passport for Canada, 'cause he didn't need one when he had that great wkend in Montreal, remind him that the last time he was there the US budget was probably in surplus.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

PonyGirl wrote:If Bubba comes, I will endeavour to be in town for a bit because he's my friend and I would love to see him.
Hat tip.

I refuse to say "no" but honestly it doesn't seem likely :( :( :(

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

beantownbubba wrote:I refuse to say "no" but honestly it doesn't seem likely :( :( :(
You really know how to string a girl along! :)

To be honest, I'm super non-committal about the shows myself. I'm in Montreal the weekend before and if I still can't ride, who knows where I'll end up?

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Pretty sure US citizens with DUI's are not allowed entrance into Canada (I'm sure they make exceptions)
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

Getting into Canada is usually a breeze. Getting back into the US, not so much. When traveling by myself, the last few times I was told to park my car and go into the office for an extended interview. They ask all sorts of questions about where you've been, who you visited, how you know that person, what you bought, how much money you have ("if you have more than ten thousand dollars but you do not declare it on this form, we can seize any money that we find"), all while some other officers check your car (out of your sight). It's a real drag. I guess it is inconceivable to border police that single guys go on vacations just for the sake of going on vacation, and must be up to something illicit like drug dealing or whatnot.

I've done the enhanced license thing too, it wasn't an issue, but you might as well bring a passport if you have one.

Starting in 2020, at least for New York, I think it will be mandatory to have either the enhanced license or something called a REAL ID.

Yes, a friend of mine got a DUI and is in the midst of a ten-year travel ban. I don't know the full specifics but he wouldn't be able to go into Canada.

Ruffian86

Post by Ruffian86 »

Well that knocks me out. I don't remember them saying anything like that when I got the DUI. But it is what it is I guess

John A Arkansawyer

Ruffian86 wrote:Well that knocks me out. I don't remember them saying anything like that when I got the DUI. But it is what it is I guess
I'd look into it if I were you and really wanted to go. It might be that your situation is different from that other guy's.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Ruffian86 wrote:Well that knocks me out. I don't remember them saying anything like that when I got the DUI. But it is what it is I guess
I'd look into it if I were you and really wanted to go. It might be that your situation is different from that other guy's.
That DUI story seems a little exaggerated, but not entirely outside the realm of possibility. Customs officers of all countries can be dicks and quality of the relationship between our countries is very low at the moment.

We do have legal weed, but it's very new and very flawed, so all the potheads I know are still using their old, illicit contacts for weed procurement.

One piece of advice I will offer is that when you are crossing the border, regardless of direction or means of transport, and Customs asks you if you either intend to or did consume the legal weed, the answer is always "absolutely not."

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Gaetzi wrote:Pretty sure US citizens with DUI's are not allowed entrance into Canada (I'm sure they make exceptions)

Although, I've heard this speculated before I don't believe that this is the case. Although I fortunately have never had a DUI , I've traveled to Canada at least a handful of times with a colleague who had a pretty high octane DUI in the past. His application for Global Entry/TSA Pre-Check was denied for that reason and another past indiscretion when he was in college. Never had an issue or delay when entering into BC, Quebec, or Ontario when traveling with me or on his own. It's possible that they may take exception when trying to rent a car, however I wouldn't anticipate any problem with Entry and Departure.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Gaetzi wrote:Pretty sure US citizens with DUI's are not allowed entrance into Canada (I'm sure they make exceptions)
One of my Pearl Jam friends missed the 2009 Toronto show because he had a DUI on his record. He couldn’t get into Canada.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Damn - that's harsh!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I'm hoping the Brooklyn Bowl booking leads to DBT playing the Brooklyn Bowl in Vegas for a multi night stand. I would strongly consider going to that.

mikem

Post by mikem »

Where’s everyone staying??