Fox Theatre, Atlanta 9/13

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Bill in CT

Fox Theatre, Atlanta 9/13

Post by Bill in CT »

DBT, Chris Robinson Brotherhood, and Drivin' N Cryin' are among the bands who will play a benefit at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta on September 13.

https://www.foxtheatre.org/events/detai ... ts-revival
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Bill in CT

Re: Fox Theatre, Atlanta 9/13

Post by Bill in CT »

I am in for this show. I'm very excited for this one. I've never been to the Fox Theatre and I've heard it's a special venue. I'm also a fan of CRB and Drivin' N Cryin' so that is a bonus as well.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

RustyGoKart

Post by RustyGoKart »

Yep, I scored some great seats this morning. The other band on the bill is a pretty solid group of players too.
Dodd and the Councilmen are:

Dodd Farrelle
Bill Berry (REM)
David Barbe
John Keane
Adam Poulin

Lots of rumors about who else will be playing.

Agerst1574

Post by Agerst1574 »

Where is the presale for this? Can anyone provide a link?

Agerst1574

Post by Agerst1574 »

Found it on my own. INSTITUTE in case anyone needs it.

Agerst1574

Post by Agerst1574 »

Found it on my own. INSTITUTE in case anyone needs it.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Glad to see they got the headliners right for this show.

https://www.foxtheatre.org/assets/img/F ... 54e22c.jpg
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

IN
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Ruffian86

Post by Ruffian86 »

I will absolutely be there. I've never been to the Fox either and I'm looking forward to it. Has anyone that has been before done the Marquee club thing? Is it worth it or no?
Let's get on with the shit show

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Ruffian86 wrote:I will absolutely be there. I've never been to the Fox either and I'm looking forward to it. Has anyone that has been before done the Marquee club thing? Is it worth it or no?
I was wondering that myself. I understand you can add it on later, so you don't have to decide right now.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Will

Post by Will »

Never been to the Marquee club, I'd like to check it out. If you decide not to go that route, Edgard Proof & Provision, in the basement of the Georgian Terrace hotel across the street, is our usual pre-show spot. Really good cocktails and food. Gets pretty crowded closer to showtime, but a fun place to hang out if you get there early enough. Looking forward to this show.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Drive By Truckers!
Chris Robinson Brotherhood !!
Drivin' n' Cryin'!!!
Are you kidding me! - Can't wait for this one.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Howlinwolf wrote:Drive By Truckers!
Chris Robinson Brotherhood !!
Drivin' n' Cryin'!!!
Are you kidding me! - Can't wait for this one.
:D
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Y'all try and make this one. Really, really cool room. Saw Sturgill Simpson there a couple of years ago. Y'all will love it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Agerst1574

Post by Agerst1574 »

May wife and I are in as we are flying in from NYC. She always wanted to visit Atlanta as I have been there several times. I went to the Fox in 2014 to see the Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute there. Beautiful theater which was bigger than I thought it would be. Reminds me a lot of the King’s Theater in Brooklyn.

Speaking of Skynyrd, they are playing the following day in Alpharetta at a shed. Alpharetta is a suburb of Atlanta. The Music Midtown Festival is also happening the following two days at Piedmont Park so there will be a lot going on that weekend. I was hoping to see a Braves game to see if I can catch a game in every MLB Stadium (I am up to 14 or so) but they are out of town

John A Arkansawyer

Agerst1574 wrote:May wife and I are in as we are flying in from NYC. She always wanted to visit Atlanta as I have been there several times.
If you have time, go to the High Museum. The Howard Finster nook alone is worth the fifteen bucks plus parking, and it's only a small part of the outsider/folk art collection. Just mindblowing. I think it's become my second favorite museum. (It'll take some doing, like international travel, to beat the Art Institute of Chicago.)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Agerst1574

Post by Agerst1574 »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Agerst1574 wrote:May wife and I are in as we are flying in from NYC. She always wanted to visit Atlanta as I have been there several times.
If you have time, go to the High Museum. The Howard Finster nook alone is worth the fifteen bucks plus parking, and it's only a small part of the outsider/folk art collection. Just mindblowing. I think it's become my second favorite museum. (It'll take some doing, like international travel, to beat the Art Institute of Chicago.)

Thanks for the recommendation. I think we will do that. We are going to go to the MLK house along with going to the church where his family used to preach at. I went the last time and found it a sobering and spiritual place to visit.

The Breman Museum is an interesting museum dedicated to Jewish culture which I found on my first trip to Atlanta and I think my wife would appreciate that. Really curious to see the lineup for the Midtown Festival and to see if there is even one or two acts that I would want to see. Piedmont Park is a great park to spent time at.

I really enjoyed seeing Skynyrd when I saw them in December in Atlantic City. Just don’t think my wife would want to go again as much as she loves Freebird.

John A Arkansawyer

Those of you who've talked with me for a while (sorry about that) have probably heard me say I love tradition so much I'll take an axe and a chainsaw to it to keep it healthy. I've finally found my soulgardenmate:
Daniel Judt wrote:“In 30 years are we going to be teaching about the Lost Cause? Hopefully it will be a surprise that there even was such a thing,” he says, before lapsing into a gardening metaphor: “But I don’t know. I’ve been trying to put Roundup on it for years, and it seems to evade all chemicals. It’s a very hearty weed.”
Why do I mention this here and now?
Agerst1574 wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:[If you have time, go to the High Museum. The Howard Finster nook alone is worth the fifteen bucks plus parking, and it's only a small part of the outsider/folk art collection. Just mindblowing. I think it's become my second favorite museum. (It'll take some doing, like international travel, to beat the Art Institute of Chicago.)
Thanks for the recommendation. I think we will do that. We are going to go to the MLK house along with going to the church where his family used to preach at. I went the last time and found it a sobering and spiritual place to visit.

The Breman Museum is an interesting museum dedicated to Jewish culture which I found on my first trip to Atlanta and I think my wife would appreciate that. Really curious to see the lineup for the Midtown Festival and to see if there is even one or two acts that I would want to see.
I'm going to make a trip to Grant Park and see the Atlanta Cyclorama:

Atlanta’s Civil War Monument, Minus the Pro-Confederate Bunkum
A new exhibition of a gigantic painting uses historical fact to dispel Lost Cause mythology.

Large-scale art installations fascinate me already. This sounds like something I want to see while it and I are both still standing.
Daniel Judt wrote:Rather than simply hyping the painting, as each previous exhibition of the Cyclorama had done, [Atlanta History Center director Sheffield] Hale and his team of curators decided to try something new. “To me, the most interesting thing about the Cyclorama is not the size, the painting, all of that,” Hale told me, “but its journey.”
Agerst1574 wrote:Piedmont Park is a great park to spend time at.
August, 2004. The kid's mom took it. Fourteen months old. It's one of my very favorite pictures and one of my very favorite days:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

my only trip to the Fox. 2 amazing nights in a stunningly awesome venue

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

Ruffian86 wrote:I will absolutely be there. I've never been to the Fox either and I'm looking forward to it. Has anyone that has been before done the Marquee club thing? Is it worth it or no?

I can take or leave the Marquee club thing, it's nice if you're either running late (separate entrance) or plan to get there early and want to hang out away from the crowd. There are plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance of the fox, the Ga Terrace is directly across the street and the bar there is usually fairly full before most shows at the Fox.
The High Museum should be a must see on any list for someone visiting Atlanta. As was mentioned, the Howard Finster installation alone is worth the price of admission. Music Midtown has been a bit of a bust in the last several years (IMO) with most of the acts being pop/top 40, hip-hop or just plain crap. Of course the lineup has yet to be released but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one, plus getting there can be a bit of a chore since there's not a lot of parking in that area.
The King musuems are great as well as the Margarett Mitchell house for any Gone With the Wind fans (though this is also in Midtown so if you go it's best to go earlier in the day).

RustyGoKart

Post by RustyGoKart »

If you like art, there's a ton of street art - like 500+ murals all over the city. https://streetartmap.org/atlanta-street ... mural-map/

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Although it's a couple miles out, we're staying at the Highland Inn outside L5P. I know some more 3dders will be there as well.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Smitt - great place to chill. My go to spot while in ATL. Can walk to Wax n Facts etc. This time we are staying on the other end of North. See ya at the gig brother.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Well it looks like Adam MacDougall who played keyboard for the CRB has left the band and they have cancelled all their gigs after July. Which is an absolute bummer. So I'm guessing that the CRB slot gets filled by another Georgia band or a band from the South. Better yet, we get extended sets from DnC and DBT.
Last edited by Howlinwolf on Fri May 03, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Will

Post by Will »

Robert Randolph & The Family Band are taking over for CRB in the lineup.

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

Will wrote:Robert Randolph & The Family Band are taking over for CRB in the lineup.
Huge improvement! Oven mitts' departure from CRB doing some good.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Well I hope Drivin n Cryin move up in the order of bands:
DBT
DnC
Robert

Personally I'd sub Southern Culture On The Skids (SCOTS) for Robert's project anyday. or Michelle Malone and Drag The River, or Tinsley Ellis or Jupiter Coyote or Dan Baird and Homemade Sin or Magnapop or Magpie Salute or Blackberry Smoke or

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Howlinwolf wrote:Well I hope Drivin n Cryin move up in the order of bands:
DBT
DnC
Robert

Personally I'd sub Southern Culture On The Skids (SCOTS) for Robert's project anyday. or Michelle Malone and Drag The River, or Tinsley Ellis or Jupiter Coyote or Dan Baird and Homemade Sin or Magnapop or Magpie Salute or Blackberry Smoke or
Any of those would be good. Not because of lack of talent but I personally get bored with RR after about the third song. I haven't seen him in years though so maybe this time will be different for me.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

BigTom wrote:
DBT
DnC
Robert

Any of those would be good. Not because of lack of talent but I personally get bored with RR after about the third song. I haven't seen him in years though so maybe this time will be different for me.
Saw RR back in the day, played between the Crowes and DBT and while he is an extremely talented musician, I also was bored after a couple songs.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

DBT
DnC
Robert

Personally I'd sub Southern Culture On The Skids (SCOTS) for Robert's project anyday. or Michelle Malone and Drag The River, or Tinsley Ellis or Jupiter Coyote or Dan Baird* and Homemade Sin or Magnapop or Magpie Salute or Blackberry Smoke or
Or Bloodkin or Jerry Joseph or HWA or NMAllstars or Cracker or

*Ain't Dan Baird in bad health? TBH I think he would be the most perfect fit in the lineup, although sadly probably not the most popular.