Rarities We'd Like to Hear: HC 2019 Edition

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: Rarities We'd Like to Hear: HC 2019 Edition

Post by Zip City »

And sings whatever lyrics he wants, too :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

brett27295 wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
If Bob Weir can continually nail the words to Truckin’ for pert near 50 years, then Cooley should be able to handle Daddy’s Cup ;)
Though Weir monumentally fucked up the lyrics to Truckin' many times throughout their long, strange trip :D
That’s the joke
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

brett27295 wrote:
If Bob Weir can continually nail the words to Truckin’ for pert near 50 years, then Cooley should be able to handle Daddy’s Cup ;)
Though Weir monumentally fucked up the lyrics to Truckin' many times throughout their long, strange trip :D
That’s the joke
Quote from David Crosby tweet today: If smoking marijuana causes short-term memory loss, what does smoking marijuana do?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: That’s the joke
Damn...went right over my head lol
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Swamp wrote:Don,t he play banjo on that one?
Southern + banjo = not a good image.
:lol: Aintry? Naw. This here river don't run to Aintry.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Cole Younger wrote:
One of my favorite movie quotes!!! One of my best friends back in Cackilacky and I use it all the time

Another one we use a lot: You don’t know nuthin’!
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Cole Younger wrote:
boyyourself wrote:my theory why Cooley doesnt play Daddys Cup is because he is perhaps not really a fan of the characters he created for that song. he also not only dislikes car racing, but also potentially has a sore spot for race fans in general and doesnt want to make it seem like he himself is a bud light drinking flag waving church going child spanking MAGA sorta fella. DBT do not represent those things and ya know image is everything.
its just a rambling muse. I could be full of it as usual.

Hmmm. I doubt that is the reason. He still plays Cottonseed at his solo shows but he's not a Southern mob boss or somebody who thinks murder is cool.

Patterson isn't a murderous preacher. I'm sure he's not cool with what the State Line Mafia did to the Pusser family and he has never served in the military. Yet he has written and performs multiple songs from each of those points of view.

Driveby Truckers are right up front with what they believe in. But if they only performed songs that featured characters they liked and agreed with the wouldn't be nearly as interesting or nearly as good at what they do.

Only Cooley.knows why he never plays Daddy's Cup but not liking the characters doesn't square with anything else about this band and what makes them great.
Yeah, what Cole said.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Cole Younger wrote:
One of my favorite movie quotes!!! One of my best friends back in Cackilacky and I use it all the time

Another one we use a lot: You don’t know nuthin’!
I have trout fished in and camped right next to that very river.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Cole Younger wrote:Aintry? Naw. This here river don't run to Aintry.
One of my favorite books. And the rare instance where the movie did the book justice.It was different, but still fantastic.
Let the outside air in

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

And back on topic, I list "Goodbye" every time this kind of thread comes up. And I'd be content to get "Plastic Flowers" and "Road Cases" on the rest of the shows I ever see. I'm pretty certain I'd never get tired of either and would like to put that theory to the test. For Cooley songs, it's "Daddy's Cup" and bringing back "Carl Perkins Cadillac." And "Sounds Better in the Song." I've heard that one several times here and there, but I think it's one of Cooley's best. And I love the live arrangement. I think that was the best performance off the live album.

Going for something more realistic than "Goodbye" and "Daddy's Cup", I wanna see Cooley break out "Lido." They played it some right after the three-night run in Birmingham, but didn't play it here. Cooley doesn't play a lot of covers, and that's one I want to see.

Because I know he'd knock it out of the fucking park.
Let the outside air in

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

schlanky wrote:And back on topic, I list "Goodbye" every time this kind of thread comes up. And I'd be content to get "Plastic Flowers" and "Road Cases" on the rest of the shows I ever see. I'm pretty certain I'd never get tired of either and would like to put that theory to the test. For Cooley songs, it's "Daddy's Cup" and bringing back "Carl Perkins Cadillac." And "Sounds Better in the Song." I've heard that one several times here and there, but I think it's one of Cooley's best. And I love the live arrangement. I think that was the best performance off the live album.

Going for something more realistic than "Goodbye" and "Daddy's Cup", I wanna see Cooley break out "Lido." They played it some right after the three-night run in Birmingham, but didn't play it here. Cooley doesn't play a lot of covers, and that's one I want to see.

Because I know he'd knock it out of the fucking park.
Lido Shuffle for sure. They were just working on it at soundcheck in Birmingham in the fall and then they broke it out in Texas just after. I've also got a pretty strong hankering for Southern Thing which they rarely play outside of Homecoming. Southern Thing at the beginning fo a set and its ideological bookend Ever South later in the same set would be fantastic.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Cooley - Primer Coat, Pulaski, Self Destruction Zone

Patterson - Sandwiches for the Road, After the Scene Dies, Monument Valley
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

Flea

Post by Flea »

Like anyone is going to be disappointed if they don't hear the Rarity Du Jour.
Now it's dark.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Flea wrote:Like anyone is going to be disappointed if they don't hear the Rarity Du Jour.
True. But it's always nice to get something you haven't heard in awhile or one you've never heard.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Rags

Post by Rags »

Road Cases and Greenville to Baton Rouge are at the top of my list that I haven't personally heard. Also any Dirty South deep cuts.

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

One each from Patterson & Cooley

One Of These Days
Life In The Factory

And one cover too

Lido Shuffle

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Sands of Iwo Jima. With the story.

What a fantastic tribute. I think this is one of Patterson Hood's best songs. I may have 30 songs I'd say are in Patterson's top five songs, but this one would consistently be there no matter how I shook out the rest.
Let the outside air in

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Hood:
Something’s Got To (Give Pretty Soon)
The Deeper In
The Sands of Iwo Jima
The Man I Shot
Daddy Learned to Fly

Cooley:
Loaded Gun in the Closet
Daddy’s Cup
Cottonseed
Primer Coat
Carl Perkins Cadillac
1 for 10. :oops: :)

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

schlanky wrote:Sands of Iwo Jima. With the story.

What a fantastic tribute. I think this is one of Patterson Hood's best songs. I may have 30 songs I'd say are in Patterson's top five songs, but this one would consistently be there no matter how I shook out the rest.
This is one I wished got played more often. Reminds me a lot of my granddad, who's been gone about 15 years now.

My theory on this one is that seems to fall in a rather awkward (high) vocal register for Patterson.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Might be time to add "Self Destructive Zones" to the list of rarities...

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

gepman wrote:Might be time to add "Self Destructive Zones" to the list of rarities...
Might as well add any Cooley song that wasn’t played at Homecoming... He’s got about 15 songs in rotation , 2-3 that are “semi-rarities “ (One Of These Days, Love Like This) and that’s about all you’re getting from The Stroker Ace.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
gepman wrote:Might be time to add "Self Destructive Zones" to the list of rarities...
Might as well add any Cooley song that wasn’t played at Homecoming... He’s got about 15 songs in rotation , 2-3 that are “semi-rarities “ (One Of These Days, Love Like This) and that’s about all you’re getting from The Stroker Ace.
Yeah those and When The Pin Hits The Shell. He breaks it out every so often about like the ones that you mentioned. I was psyched that he played it at HC this year because I really love that song even if it does kind of big things down at a show to some extent.

Cooley has been like that for a while. He tends to play the same batch of songs with a minor amount of the shuffling that Patterson does. I mean he has some really good songs that just sit on the shelf. A lot of them.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Tyler wrote:
schlanky wrote:Sands of Iwo Jima. With the story.

This is one I wished got played more often. Reminds me a lot of my granddad, who's been gone about 15 years now.

My theory on this one is that seems to fall in a rather awkward (high) vocal register for Patterson.
Pretty sure the last few have been the slowed down, lower-voiced versions, and they've sounded mighty fine. Isn't one on the Richmond 3DD DVD a few years back? (I could be making that up)