Homecoming 2019: Feb 13-16 (Thur., Fri, Sat.) Sold Out)

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jack Flash

Re: Homecoming 2019: Feb 13-16 (Thur., Fri, Sat.) Sold Out)

Post by Jack Flash »

Heathens
Gravity’s Gone
Feb 14
First Air of Autumn
My Sweet Annette
Birthday Boy
Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife
Sounds Better in the Song
Something’s Gotta Give
Where the Devil Don’t Stay
Tornadoes
3 Dimes Down
Wednesday
Slow Ride Argument
Babies in Cages
Ramon Casiano
Guns of Umpqua
Filthy and Fried
The Righteous Path
A Ghost to Most
The Opening Act
Women Without Whiskey
Drag the Lake Charlie
Marry Me
Careless (I think this was the first time they played this since Jason was in the band, right?)
Shit Shots Count
The Tough Sell (featuring Tyler, guitar/vox)
Zip City
Grand Canyon

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jack Flash wrote: Careless (I think this was the first time they played this since Jason was in the band, right?)
Yes according to Bill it was the first time since 2006.

Great show. I love how they played just about all of their break up songs in honor of valentine's day.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It was homecoming. It was DBT. They came, they saw, they conquered. You're probably not surprised. More tomorrow (later today).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Wish I could have found some way to bet on whether The Truckers would play Feb. 14 on Feb. 14. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

I'm still trying to digest last night's set list. Holy fucking shit! And when's the last time they played 3 songs from ABAAC in one night? I would dearly love to have the iso tracks from that show--everybody was on fire. Among many highlights, Matt's bass line and groove on Babies In Cages grabbed me hard.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

gepman

Post by gepman »

I wonder when another new Cooley song will surface?
I only recall "Slow Ride Argument" at the rock shows...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Careless, goddammit. Hope they play it again this weekend.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Show sounded great, wish we were there with you guys.
One of theses days (years) we will get out there.
TheTough Sell ? Really, been waiting to hear that one for years,
RAWK ON!
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

The boys must’ve read my mind, because going into last night the last couple shows I’d been to had all rocked, but had very similar song selections. But Wednesday, the Tough Sell, and CARELESS??? I was blown away.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

My review of last night: I’m sitting at the bar at The Grit right now and I can’t hear anything my server is saying. Meanwhile, Careless is stuck in my head on loop. Nuff said.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Quick thoughts on Night 1 (or 2 depending on how we’re counting lol):

I honestly had no idea they played 29 songs last night until someone posted the set list. I can’t rank shows anymore but last night was special, not only for the breakouts but also all the breakups songs for Valentine’s Day, & the flow of the show. The highlight for me was the outro jam of Careless, Cooley just shredding while the new lights swirled all around him was just so badass.

It was a hell of an opening show. Adam’s House Cat was awesome, but DBT are just a whole other beast.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

https://archive.org/details/dbt2019-02-14.m20.flac16

Drive-By Truckers
2019/02/14
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

source: Microtech Gefell M20 (din) > Nbob KCY > Naiant PFA (60V) > Sound Devices Mixpre-6 @ 24/48
transfer: SDHC > PC > Wavelab 6.1 (gain, fades) > iZotope RX 6 (edits) > CD Wave > Wavelab 6.1 (crystal resampler, MBIT+ dither) > THL (flac 8) > Foobar (tags)

*16bit/44.1khz fileset*

recorded and transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. Intro
02. Heathens
03. Gravity’s Gone
04. Feb 14
05. First Air of Autumn
06. My Sweet Annette
07. Birthday Boy
08. Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife
09. Sounds Better in the Song
10. (Something's Got to) Give Pretty Soon
11. Where the Devil Don’t Stay
12. Tornadoes
13. Three Dimes Down
14. Wednesday
15. Slow Ride Argument
16. Babies in Cages
17. Ramon Casiano
18. Guns of Umpqua
19. Filthy and Fried
20. The Righteous Path
21. A Ghost to Most
22. The Opening Act
23. Women Without Whiskey
24. Drag the Lake Charlie
25. Marry Me
26. Careless
27. Shit Shots Count
28. The Tough Sell
29. Zip City
30. Grand Canyon

Huge thanks to jbell for the mic loan!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A couple of preliminaries:

It would be counter to the spirit of things to be too analytical about Wednesday nite but I do want to say just how much fun it was. A relaxed show w/ a great vibe from the stage and the floor w/ the musicians clearly having a great time, which is an energy the crowd absorbs. I was also so pleased that Jay not only did his thing so well (no surprise there) but that he exuded great stage presence and command. That he opened w/ "Welcome Back [Kotter]" was a nice touch that set a great tone. Also had the random thought that unless I move to GA (not likely) that may have been the last time that I'll ever be in a not sold out 40 Watt.

New York real estate comes to the 40 Watt: The tiki bar is now the Williamsburg of the 40 Watt. Originally colonized by some early adopters who recognized that it was underappreciated and underutilized, it has now been discovered by the folks from Soho and the Village looking for a bargain, but the bargains were gone a while ago. Still my favorite spot from which to watch a show but it was literally too crowded too get to by the time I arrived on the late side.

Last nite:

The mental image that stuck w/ me the most was that the show was kind of like King Curtis's "Memphis Soul Stew." Cooking at a low boil, spiced as various ingredients were added and then bursting into a full flavored celebratory stew that's only available in very few places on very rare occasions. Echoing MAB, it seemed like Matt was creating the low boil as he introduced all kinds of new bass lines while keeping things moving. A real joy to listen to.

A look at the set list provides a very good and accurate idea of what the show was like. A little different, some fun surprises, the band clearly enjoying being able to stretch out a bit w/ some of the rarities, the crowd being incredibly appreciative and responsive with everyone in full throated sing along mode. The end of "zip city" was particularly loud from the crowd side of things. I thought the pacing was particularly fine as they band played more than the usual number of "slow ones" but kept the momentum going and building throughout.

I think some people lost money when the band did not open w/ "Feb 14," lol, but of course they did play it eventually. I also liked that Cooley didn't immediately follow "Heathens" w/ "Sounds Better in the Song" but brought it out later in the set.

I, too, was surprised to learn that the band played 29 songs. The evening went by so fast it just doesn't seem possible that they could have played so many, yet they did.
A really fine show that seemed to hit that sweet spot where seasoned veterans had a feast of surprises/rarities and newbies got great exposure to the rock show experience.

moedbt

Post by moedbt »

What time did
Last edited by moedbt on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moedbt

Post by moedbt »

What time did the boys take the stage last night. Excited for tonight

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Thank you, beantownbubba!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Clams

Post by Clams »

moedbt wrote:What time did the boys take the stage last night. Excited for tonight
Around 10:45

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
New York real estate comes to the 40 Watt: The tiki bar is now the Williamsburg of the 40 Watt. Originally colonized by some early adopters who recognized that it was underappreciated and underutilized, it has now been discovered by the folks from Soho and the Village looking for a bargain, but the bargains were gone a while ago. Still my favorite spot from which to watch a show but it was literally too crowded too get to by the time I arrived on the late side.
Lol

No one has mentioned The Opening Act which might have been my favorite song of the night. The last couple minutes of that song... well, damn

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Days of Graduation
Ronnie and Neil
Birmingham
One of These Days
Margo and Harold
Sounds Better in the Song
Dead, Drunk & Nekkid
Guitar Man Upstairs
Adam Raised a Cain
Surrender Under Protest
Darkened Flags at the Cusp of Dawn
Made Up English Oceans
Rosemary With a Bible and a Gun
Slow Ride Argument
Babies in Cages
Ramon Casiano
The Southern Thing
Women Without Whiskey
Why Henry Drinks
Gravity’s Gone
Do It Yourself
When the Pin Hits the Shell
World of Hurt
Shit Shots Count
Let There Be Rawk
Get Yo Muthafuckin Ass on the Plane
Angels and Fuselage

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jack Flash wrote: World of Hurt
Dedicated to Gary and Patty

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Tonight was a motherfucker. I’ll probably have more thoughts later. But one thing is for sure...they ain’t fuckin’ around this weekend.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tonight was a perfect example of why we are advised to always go to the show. You just never know what might happen, but you can be pretty sure that whatever it is will be terrific.

In broad terms, I figure there are 2 basic types of DBT shows: The really good shows that hit a lot of highlights and reach a level of intensity that very few bands can hope to rise to, even occasionally, yet for some mystical, elusive reason fall short of the transendence that characterizes the very best shows and the transcendent shows that that keep us coming back again and again. Amazingly, after all this time and all those miles, not all of which were highway miles, DBT did something new and different and never before heard, at least by these ears: They achieved transcendence but in a different way that was fresh and exciting while being simultaneously familiar yet different. Much of the audience didn't want to leave after the show, not in the "play all night" sense but just not wanting to let go of the special atmosphere and feeling. When they did leave, fans practically floated out of the 40 watt w/ huge smiles on their faces, searching for words to describe what they'd seen and knowing that they had been there for a rock show that will be talked about for as long as people talk about DBT.

The elusive thing is trying to nail down what was so different and so transcendent. It was not a matter of the band playing extra loud or fast or flashily, it wasn't about those aspects at all. Part of it was the set list, part of it was the virtuoso playing, part of it was an intense version of the homecoming vibe both on stage and in the audience. But there was something else, too, that just enveloped the audience and transported it to a higher plane. Yikes, that sounds kind of mystical and new age-y, but that's as close as I can come: it wasn't any one tangible aspect; it was the overall impact of everything, on stage and off, including the audience singing as loud as I've ever heard it throughout the show. The concert unfurled as an organic whole, each song building on what came before and all of it wrapping the audience in a cocoon of great vibes, walls of sound and the excitement of knowing that something special and unique was happening right in front of their eyes and ears.

Right from the get go the band grabbed our attention and started the audience speculating about whether the band was going to play SRO from front to back. Then came the mix of new songs and old, "deep cuts" and "standards", fast and slow, hard and soft including surprises like "Adam Raised a Cain." The singing and playing were terrific from the get go as were the sound and lights. The first hint at something truly spectacular was probably "One of These Days" which was beautiful and heartfelt and transporting.

Tonight was the night when "Darkened Flags" finally came into its own, revealing the full power of the song in ways that I always felt previous live and recorded performances hinted at but never fully delivered. "Adam Raised a Cain" thrilled the crowd from the first notes and Patterson & Co. nailed it. The band may have played its best version of "World of Hurt" since the legendary Montclair NJ show of distant memory and dedicating the song to Gary & Patty hit all the right notes. The duo of "Do It Yourself" and "When the Pin Hits the Shell" was magnificent and included what was probably the best version of "DIY" I've ever heard. Matt outdid himself on a smoking version of "Gravity's Gone." It would be an understatement to say that "Angels & Fuselage"was incredibly powerful and enthralling and enveloping. Special thanks to Rebecca Rudin for sharing that moment with me.

I hope I've conveyed at least a little of how special tonight's show was, how different it was while remaining very much a Drive By Truckers show. I'm pretty sure that everyone who was there will never forget it.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

I didn’t realize it until last night, but I would pay an irresponsible amount of money to hear the band play SRO front to back. Shows like last last night are some of my favorites, that feel like a constant party until it ends on Angels & Fuselage (a beautiful, chilling, sobering beast of a song).

Two other notes from last night: 1. Jay has always been the Swiss Army knife of the group on guitar, piano, vocals, etc. but MAN he was great last night. And 2. As much as I love the surprise of hearing it I wish Margo & Harold could work it’s way into rotation.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:The first hint at something truly spectacular was probably "One of These Days" which was beautiful and heartfelt and transporting.
And yet, it's the first time I was ever disappointed to hear it. I really did think we were getting SRO till then. Turned out I had no reason to be over-optimistic.
beantownbubba wrote:Tonight was the night when "Darkened Flags" finally came into its own, revealing the full power of the song in ways that I always felt previous live and recorded performances hinted at but never fully delivered.
It had never grabbed me before tonight, and tonight it did.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

phungi

Post by phungi »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:...as much as I love the surprise of hearing it I wish Margo & Harold could work it’s way into rotation.
Couldn’t agree more, especially if it gets the same extended jam-out that it got last night
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Being an old man with a small bladder, I'm used to taking a lot of pee breaks during the show. Last night i didn't have the opportunity, nor did I need to after the show. Where did all that water go? When I peed this morning, the toilet bowl looked like I'd poured coffee in it. I sweated like a motherfucker and that's the proof!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

phungi wrote:
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:...as much as I love the surprise of hearing it I wish Margo & Harold could work it’s way into rotation.
Couldn’t agree more, especially if it gets the same extended jam-out that it got last night
They’ve really been extending some of the outro jams lately on songs they didn’t used to have extended outros. I heartedly approve.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

These shows sound awesome as always. Maybe some year they'll be at a time I can actually go :(
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Amazing show. Thanks for the Margo & Harold.

Anyone know what Cooley is singing these days instead of "Chinese troops to terrorists" in Ramon Casiano?

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

https://archive.org/details/dbt2019-02-15.m20.flac16

Drive-By Truckers
2019/02/15
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

source: Microtech Gefell M20 (din) > Nbob KCY > Naiant PFA (60V) > Sound Devices Mixpre-6 @ 24/48
transfer: SDHC > PC > Wavelab 6.1 (gain, fades) > CD Wave > Wavelab 6.1 (crystal resampler, MBIT+ dither) > THL (flac 8) > Foobar (tags)

*16bit/44.1khz fileset*

recorded and transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. Intro
02. Days of Graduation
03. Ronnie and Neil
04. 72 (This Highway's Mean)
05. Birmingham
06. One of These Days
07. Margo and Harold
08. Sounds Better in the Song
09. Dead, Drunk And Naked