Homecoming 2019: Feb 13-16 (Thur., Fri, Sat.) Sold Out)

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ramonz

Re: Homecoming 2019: Feb 13-16 (Fri.&Sat. Sold Out)

Post by ramonz »

From Athens CVB:

ATHENS, GA (January 11, 2019) – There will be more to love in Athens, Georgia, in 2019. The community will experience continued expansion in the brewery, dining and hotel segments of the hospitality industry, as well as new entertainment and recreation opportunities. The city’s mix of preservation and constant renewal allows visitors to revisit favorite spots and experience new restaurants and attractions that keep every visit to Athens exciting.

Hotel Boom Continues in Athens: The opening of the 130-room Homewood Suites in late November 2018 brings the total of new hotel rooms in downtown Athens to 1,791. Downtown Athens added 576 hotel rooms in a 12-month period, resulting in a 47 percent increase in downtown hotel inventory and a 25 percent increase county-wide. Additionally, the Holiday Inn Express in downtown Athens is currently undergoing renovations and is set to re-open in July 2019.

FOOD AND DRINK

Condor Chocolates Tour: Chocolate lovers can rejoice! The bean-to-bar chocolate factory and café have begun offering public tours on the third Saturday of each month at 11 a.m. Tours last around an hour and start in the seated Studio 1 room where tour guests will learn the history and background, then proceed through the working factory to see the process of the bean-to-bar chocolate. The tour ends back in Studio 1 for a sampling and tasting of the different chocolates. Tours cost $15/person and can be booked in advance via the Eventbrite link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/condor-cho ... 3656399736. For more information, contact: emily@condorchocolated.com

Alumni Cookie Dough: Alumni Cookie Dough is bringing more sweetness to Athens in the form of edible cookie dough. This café will open its doors in early 2019 in downtown Athens on Thomas St. between Hyatt Place and 1000 Faces Coffee. The owners, Mike and Jennifer Dollander are graduates of the University of Georgia and have dreamt of starting their own business. The cookie dough is made with pasteurized eggs and heated flour, which kills the bacteria making the cookie dough safe to eat. The café will also serve milkshakes, ice cream and other delicious sweet treats. For more information, visit: https://www.alumnicookiedough.com/.

I Heart Mac and Cheese: The fast-casual concept restaurant specializing in customizable, made-to-order macaroni and cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches is coming to downtown Athens near The Mark in spring 2019. The menu combines the creativity of award-winning recipes resulting in a grown-up approach to this classic childhood dish. For information, visit: https://www.iheartmacandcheese.com/.

Half Shepherd Market & Cheese Shop: Fritz Gibson’s new cheese shop and market opened in Athens on December 1, 2018. The neighborhood market, located in Normaltown on Prince Avenue, provides prepared foods, cut-to-order cheese and charcuterie and high-quality versions of everyday pantry staples. The shop serves made-to-order sandwiches, salads and soups at lunch as well as retail beer and wine. For more information, visit https://www.halfshepherd.com/.

Athentic Brewing: Long-time friends Paul Skinner and Mark Johnson are bringing Athentic Brewing Company to Athens. Located in the heart of Athens’ Normaltown neighborhood, the new brewery is defined by its small batch handcrafted beers that are both unique and easy drinking. The vibe of the onsite tasting room will be “cozy industrial” with a variety of seating options including inside, outside covered patio and outside uncovered patio. The centerpiece of the tasting room will be the self-serve beer wall with 12 taps of Athentic Beer allowing customers to pour by the ounce without standing in long lines. Set to open in mid-2019, on site food trucks and nearby restaurants will make it easy for pairing delicious local food with Athentic beer. For more information, visit: https://athenticbrewing.com/0.

Creature Comforts Brewing Company: After celebrating the opening of its second faculty in mid-2018, the brewery will celebrate its fifth anniversary on April 13, 2019 with live music, a food truck, plenty of beer, and much more. Their “Get Comfortable” 2019 campaign, a year-round flagship community impact program, will launch on February 6. The program partners with local nonprofits each year that are addressing the community’s most pressing needs and raises funds alongside other businesses throughout the year. The 2018 campaign wrapped in November generating $290,121 for the Athens community. More information can be found at http://www.GetCurious.com.

Additional restaurants set to open in 2019 include: Uncle Ernie’s Grub and Pub, Chuck’s Fish and Lumber Jaxe.

ENTERTAINMENT

Moonlight Theater Company: The Moonlight Theater Company is going to bring more laughs and joy to the Athens community. The international comedy venue and theater school was founded by Athens native Chase Brantley and plans to bring international and domestic acts to Athens. The company will also offer an educational theater program to serve the local community. The theater is located at Leather’s Building off Pulaski street in suite 1400, but will have its grand opening at Morton Theater on January 5. For more information, visit: https://www.moonlighttheatercompany.com/about.

RECREATION

State Botanical Garden of Georgia: The Alice H. Richards Children’s Garden is set to open in March 2019 and is expected to draw 50, 000 visitors a year. The garden will be a destination for children to learn more about Georgia’s natural resources as they plant, climb and explore the two-and-a-half-acre land. From climbing walls, to the fossils of a mastodon—the ancient ancestor of the mammoth—to musical instruments resembling mushrooms and a tree house in the canopy, the children’s garden will teleport children into a whimsical world where nature inspires and delights. For more information, visit http://botgarden.uga.edu/education-childrens-garden/.

Flea

Post by Flea »

phungi wrote:
Clams wrote:
Flea wrote:
Or prettier.
#fakenews

I am definitely getting prettier.

Anyway look who's talking. Have yall seen flea lately?!?
In his defense, between the leg and the retina, Flea is bordering on bionic
The injuries, insults, and implants have been isolated to the left side of my body. So naturally I'm all right.
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

So I had a dream last night that I was at Thursday night of Homecoming (I've never been, so my brain completely made all of this up). I kinda just showed up to the show without a ticket, and I go in and there are like 30 people there. It was weird. That is all
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams

Post by Clams »

I've got pre-crud. But I'm thinking it might be a good thing, building up my resistance and what have you.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

My flight is scheduled to arrive in Atlanta at 2:30 Wednesday afternoon, and I have a rental car waiting.
If that timing works for anyone who would like a ride, let me know.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Ruffian86

Post by Ruffian86 »

Only nine days and I'll be in Athens for the first time, beyond excited
Let's get on with the shit show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:I've got pre-crud. But I'm thinking it might be a good thing, building up my resistance and what have you.
Did u get a flu shot?

I continue to believe based on virtually no evidence whatsoever that the seasonal flu shot is a reasonable facsimile of an Athens Homecoming crud vaccine.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Image
So it turns out that having plans to travel to see the Rock Show the week before homecoming tamps down the HC enthusiasm. Not because I'm any less enthused but because I have something before then to look forward to. That's not a complaint by any means, I'm just a little surprised, I would have thought that HC stands alone and would grab most of my attention/energy even w/ the other plans. Who knew?

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Clams wrote:I've got pre-crud. But I'm thinking it might be a good thing, building up my resistance and what have you.
Did u get a flu shot?
Yes

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Did u get a flu shot?
Yes
Sorry. I just looked up the labeling fine print where it says that testing on mollusks has only just begun.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Did u get a flu shot?
Yes
I've been sick for about a week with one of the worst head colds (I think, could be the flu for all I know) I've had in 10-15 years. I got my flu shot a few months ago. Hopefully I'm just getting it out of the way before Athens.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Clams

Post by Clams »

xx
Last edited by Clams on Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

LBRod wrote:My flight is scheduled to arrive in Atlanta at 2:30 Wednesday afternoon, and I have a rental car waiting.
Thanks for this Rod. I bet if we all get our info out there, we can save some duplication and create some great road trips. I arrive in ATL at 11:15am Wednesday, just a hair too early to jump in with you (we'll make up for it in Athens). If anyone gets in on the early side Wednesday, I'm happy to give you a ride as well. Just PM me.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

brett27295 wrote:
I've been sick for about a week with one of the worst head colds (I think, could be the flu for all I know) I've had in 10-15 years. I got my flu shot a few months ago. Hopefully I'm just getting it out of the way before Athens.
There's some nasty stuff going around Birmingham. I know two folks with it and wife knows a couple of others. Doctors for both folks I know described it as flu-like, but said it wasn't the flu that they have. One of the folks said this is the sickest she's ever felt in her life.

I'm avoiding people as much as I can right now----too much going on at work to miss any being sick and HC is just around the corner. I'm gonna be drinking vodka and Airborne at the 40 Watt.
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

schlanky wrote: I'm gonna be drinking vodka and Airborne at the 40 Watt.
Not sure whether to laugh or cry. ;)

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

ramonz wrote:
LBRod wrote:My flight is scheduled to arrive in Atlanta at 2:30 Wednesday afternoon, and I have a rental car waiting.
Thanks for this Rod. I bet if we all get our info out there, we can save some duplication and create some great road trips. I arrive in ATL at 11:15am Wednesday, just a hair too early to jump in with you (we'll make up for it in Athens). If anyone gets in on the early side Wednesday, I'm happy to give you a ride as well. Just PM me.
So far I've heard from an old friend and a newbie, but there is room for one more.

Flea

Post by Flea »

schlanky wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
There's some nasty stuff going around Birmingham. I know two folks with it and wife knows a couple of others. Doctors for both folks I know described it as flu-like, but said it wasn't the flu that they have. One of the folks said this is the sickest she's ever felt in her life.

I'm avoiding people as much as I can right now----too much going on at work to miss any being sick and HC is just around the corner. I'm gonna be drinking vodka and Airborne at the 40 Watt.
I guess this year I will be packing Levofloxacin AND Amantidine. Better living through chemistry!
Now it's dark.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Flea wrote: I guess this year I will be packing Levofloxacin AND Amantidine. Better living through chemistry!
Can you get them in cookie form? Asking for a friend.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

phungi

Post by phungi »

beantownbubba wrote:
schlanky wrote: I'm gonna be drinking vodka and Airborne at the 40 Watt.
Not sure whether to laugh or cry. ;)
either way, cover your mouth...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I will not be able to make it to my happy place this year. I have 1 ticket for each night (Wed. - Sat.) on will call free to anyone still in need. I’m not sure how to transfer. Also, I have a room at the Daze that I haven’t cancelled yet.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I will not be able to make it to my happy place this year. I have 1 ticket for each night (Wed. - Sat.) on will call free to anyone still in need. I’m not sure how to transfer. Also, I have a room at the Daze that I haven’t cancelled yet.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Slipkid42 wrote:I will not be able to make it to my happy place this year. I have 1 ticket for each night (Wed. - Sat.) on will call free to anyone still in need. I’m not sure how to transfer. Also, I have a room at the Daze that I haven’t cancelled yet.
So sorry for all you're going through Slip. :cry:

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

Slipkid42 wrote:I will not be able to make it to my happy place this year. I have 1 ticket for each night (Wed. - Sat.) on will call free to anyone still in need. I’m not sure how to transfer. Also, I have a room at the Daze that I haven’t cancelled yet.
Really sorry to hear that. Have sent a PM regarding that Dazed reservation.

luckyinlove
Location: just a half a mile (or so) from the mississippi bridge

Post by luckyinlove »

hi! please check for the pm i sent re your saturday ticket.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Sat. night ticket is spoken for.

Thank you, Clams.