The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

All this aside, who among us was aware of Joey Logano currently attending high school in Covington, KY? :shock: :shock:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Cole Younger wrote:Like Ric Flair.

;)

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip I love you brother but now you're just making stuff up. I constantly deride people? You can't back that up. Please show me where I have constantly derided anyone. That's silly. And for you to say that I don't look at issues in good faith and don't care about facts and ethics is nonsense and I don't think you even believe it.

False equivalency bullshit? Like comparing the president to Hitler?
Last edited by Cole Younger on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

;)
I know. I'm sorry. :oops:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Cole Younger wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

;)
I know. I'm sorry. :oops:
Cole, you know I am a big fan of yours. Nonetheless, a comparison to Space Mountain is the proverbial bridge too far ;)

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Rod as to your question about why I keep trying, it's all about trying to stay disciplined,man. I make myself do something that sucks everyday. I didn't work out yesterday. Guess what I did instead. :D

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Cole Younger wrote:Rod as to your question about why I keep trying, it's all about trying to stay disciplined,man. I make myself do something that sucks everyday. I didn't work out yesterday. Guess what I did instead. :D

Working out is better for you. Trust me on this.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Is Mike Pence our of his god damned mind?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I kind of didn't get the import of the kids v. native american story and I see no need to try to catch up now. I know that my sometimes tendency to take things literally can be distorting, but the one thing I did take from the story was the irony of the kids yelling "build the wall" (or equivalent) at a Native American. Ummmm...
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:I kind of didn't get the import of the kids v. native american story and I see no need to try to catch up now. I know that my sometimes tendency to take things literally can be distorting, but the one thing I did take from the story was the irony of the kids yelling "build the wall" (or equivalent) at a Native American. Ummmm...
This video has been the perfect example of how awful our news agencies and news media has become. As quickly as the first wave of "look how awful these kids were" reporting happened, a second wave of "in order to appear fair and balanced, here's every reason why the kids may have actually been the victims" reporting quickly followed. CNN is particularly bad about this, as every panel discussion is stuffed with partisan hacks from both sides of the argument, resulting in lots of yelling, nothing actually being said, but boy do they feel good about letting both sides yell.

John A Arkansawyer

Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I kind of didn't get the import of the kids v. native american story and I see no need to try to catch up now. I know that my sometimes tendency to take things literally can be distorting, but the one thing I did take from the story was the irony of the kids yelling "build the wall" (or equivalent) at a Native American. Ummmm...
This video has been the perfect example of how awful our news agencies and news media has become. As quickly as the first wave of "look how awful these kids were" reporting happened, a second wave of "in order to appear fair and balanced, here's every reason why the kids may have actually been the victims" reporting quickly followed. CNN is particularly bad about this, as every panel discussion is stuffed with partisan hacks from both sides of the argument, resulting in lots of yelling, nothing actually being said, but boy do they feel good about letting both sides yell.
I liked James Fallows' approach here. He picks a selection of people and lets them have their say. No yelling--indoor voices throughout:

The Confrontation on the Mall

It's very good and not super long, but if you need the tl;dr of it, you can skip to the last four paragraphs, starting with the one numbered 12). You'd be best off getting there the long way, though.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

The MAGA Teen News Cycle and Our Toxic Era of “Event Politics”

Lili Loofbourow wrote:This is just the latest instance of a phenomenon you could call “event politics”—that familiar flurry of knee-jerk responses sparked by a single image or clip that a little too perfectly illustrates one side’s worldview.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Roger Stone was arrested this morning by the FBI. He was indicted on seven counts of witness tampering, obstruction, and making false statements

Mueller’s investigation has been an unbelievable display of patience; methodical, precise, and somehow zero leaks to the media from within. Is Bill Belichek running this thing?

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Zip City wrote:Mueller’s investigation has been an unbelievable display of patience; methodical, precise, and somehow zero leaks to the media from within. Is Bill Belichek running this thing?
The lack of crossing patterns and tight-end passes with Brady under center leads me to conclude that, no, Bill Belichick is not running this thing.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:The MAGA Teen News Cycle and Our Toxic Era of “Event Politics”

Lili Loofbourow wrote:This is just the latest instance of a phenomenon you could call “event politics”—that familiar flurry of knee-jerk responses sparked by a single image or clip that a little too perfectly illustrates one side’s worldview.
Yeah. Who needs the two minutes hate when you have the outrage cycle?

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I like Roger Stone's (et all) latest defense strategy:

In the past: Even if there was collusion (which there isn't), collusion isn't a crime!

Today: See? Told you this was no big deal! They didn't even charge me with collusion!
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Oh, I love seeing this smug asshole go down. He is the face of arrogance, greed and evil. He has a tattoo of Richard Nixon on his back. Fuck him.

Can't get this out of my head. I was going to have a creative re-write...but upon a second glance, well, for the occasion, it is just perfect...well done, Bob.

Once upon a time you dressed so fine
You threw the bums a dime in your prime, didn't you?
People'd call, say, "Beware doll, you're bound to fall"
You thought they were all kiddin' you

You used to laugh about
Everybody that was hangin' out
Now you don't talk so loud
Now you don't seem so proud
About having to be scrounging around
For your next meal

How does it feel?
How does it feel
To be without a home
With no direction home?
Like a complete unknown?
Like a ROGER STONE!

John A Arkansawyer

Cole Younger wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:The MAGA Teen News Cycle and Our Toxic Era of “Event Politics”

Yeah. Who needs the two minutes hate when you have the outrage cycle?
Pretty much. I'm going to keep picking at this scab for a while. This incident worries me in ways I can't quite yet articulate, aside from thinking my side might have gotten this one wrong. That always worries me, when I think it's so or likely to be so. But there's something a little deeper in this one.

Clams

Post by Clams »

He didn't cave - he's simply laying the groundwork for using his emergency power to fund the wall, which he will do after both sides refuse to budge over the next 3 weeks.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Would love to hear your thoughts when you sort it out, John A. To me it's just more of the same. The main difference being that its such a high profile and clear case of what a ridiculous time we are living in with the addiction to outrage. So many just want their side to win it to be proven right and I smacked myself in the forehead when the writer of the article described both sides as viewing instances such as this as a recruiting tool for their side. I thought to myself, "Exactly!". They see things like this as opportunities for their side to be proven right about the other in a very public way that is irrefutable. That's not good.

So many people don't want any nuance. They didn't want to even consider that a quick video clip or sound bite is not all there is to the story. They can't be bothered with details and hope there aren't any. There is a war to be won against the other side and they need every bit of ammo they can get. This could serve as a cautionary tale but it wont. As I said, the truth is usually in the middle and the loyal soldiers on both sides describe themselves when they engage in their rants about how horrible the other is. Lots of zeal,Lots of hypocrisy, very little clear thinking.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Clams wrote:He didn't cave - he's simply laying the groundwork for using his emergency power to fund the wall, which he will do after both sides refuse to budge over the next 3 weeks.
He caved. Now he can go grab himself.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Take away all the noise. Take away all the partisanship. Take away all the allegations and assumptions. Take away the knee jerk Trump Derangement Syndrome. Take away everything that is possibly subject to interpretation and manipulation by people with varying agendas. And here's what you're left with:

Donald Trump was hired to be the president of the United States of America. Donald Trump is incompetent at the job of being president of the United States of America.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:Take away all the noise. Take away all the partisanship. Take away all the allegations and assumptions. Take away the knee jerk Trump Derangement Syndrome. Take away everything that is possibly subject to interpretation and manipulation by people with varying agendas. And here's what you're left with:

Donald Trump was hired to be the president of the United States of America. Donald Trump is incompetent at the job of being president of the United States of America.
But there he is.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Take away all the noise. Take away all the partisanship. Take away all the allegations and assumptions. Take away the knee jerk Trump Derangement Syndrome. Take away everything that is possibly subject to interpretation and manipulation by people with varying agendas. And here's what you're left with:

Bu there he is.
Every employer makes bad hiring decisions. The question is what do they do once they realize they've made a mistake? Just to be clear, that is NOT a call for impeachment. It's a call for the rest of the government and the larger "permanent government" (aka the deep state and the coastal elites) to do its/their job and stop deferring to someone who doesn't know what he's doing. How about we start by finding some missing babies?

whatwouldcooleydo?

If Trump really wanted to lock her up, he should have had Hillary work for his campaign, as it is clearly the express lane to prison :lol:

John A Arkansawyer

Cole Younger wrote:Would love to hear your thoughts when you sort it out, John A. To me it's just more of the same. The main difference being that its such a high profile and clear case of what a ridiculous time we are living in with the addiction to outrage. So many just want their side to win it to be proven right and I smacked myself in the forehead when the writer of the article described both sides as viewing instances such as this as a recruiting tool for their side. I thought to myself, "Exactly!". They see things like this as opportunities for their side to be proven right about the other in a very public way that is irrefutable. That's not good.
I'm not a C. S. Lewis fan, but I really liked the quote from him that James Fallows put at the end of his story that I linked earlier:
It was C. S. Lewis who wrote:Suppose one reads a story of filthy atrocities in the paper. Then suppose that something turns up suggesting that the story might not be quite true, or not quite so bad as it was made out. Is one’s first feeling, ‘Thank God, even they aren’t quite so bad as that,’ or is it a feeling of disappointment, and even a determination to cling to the first story for the sheer pleasure of thinking your enemies are as bad as possible?

If it is the second then it is, I am afraid, the first step in a process which, if followed to the end, will make us into devils. You see, one is beginning to wish that black was a little blacker. If we give that wish its head, later on we shall wish to see grey as black, and then to see white itself as black. Finally we shall insist on seeing everything — God and our friends and ourselves included — as bad, and not be able to stop doing it: we shall be fixed for ever in a universe of pure hatred.
Or to put it slightly differently:
It was definitely +not+ C. S. Lewis who wrote:So be it if they come to find out feeling good’s
as easy as denying that there’s day or night at all
til what it takes to feel a thing seems so far out of reach
they just claw their skin and grind their teeth and bawl
I will admit, I often have both those feelings Lewis describes, and at the same time. I have relief knowing some people aren't as bad as I'd thought. I also regret not having a club with which to shame or intimidate the ones who are that bad. One good human feeling for the individual who isn't so bad after all; one bad inhumane feeling for the abstracted group and any of its representatives who really are that bad. I wish I knew the full context of the Lewis quote. It's not like he didn't believe in Evil, or that some people hadn't committed "filthy atrocities" throughout history.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

C.S. Lewis gives as good a definition of gaslighting as anyone I've heard.

John A Arkansawyer

Zip City wrote:C.S. Lewis gives as good a definition of gaslighting as anyone I've heard.
I haven't seen it, but I'd like to!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Zip City wrote:C.S. Lewis gives as good a definition of gaslighting as anyone I've heard.
You just posted it!

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
:D