The Company We Keep- Drive-By Truckers' Homecoming Book

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Company We Keep- Drive-By Truckers' Homecoming Book

Post by beantownbubba »

OK, it's true, I worked on this book. I pretty much knew what it was going to look like and what it was going to say (and show). But I cannot describe the difference between seeing the bits and pieces on a screen and holding the real thing in one's hands. I am so damn happy w/ the way this book came out; it's even better than I'd hoped and far better than I expected.

This book really truly tells the story of a supremely talented band, its extraordinary members and the exceptional relationship between that band, its members, its equally extraordinary if less celebrated fans, a town and a good cause. It drives home the uniqueness of the heAthens homecoming experience from a number of perspectives, all well told and very well illustrated, and explains the phenomenon far better than at least I've been able to tell it to the uninitiated. Even if you want to discount for my personal involvement and general DBT related enthusiasm, that still makes this a pretty significant event.

I'm just sayin' that I'm really proud to be a part of this project and I think that if you're a fan of the Drive By Truckers and maybe even if you're just a fan of music and its possibilities you will want to own this book. I will be sharing this book w/ friends and family throughout the holiday season, whether they want to or not :)

Congratulations to the editorial team, the band and its team, Nuci's Space, all the fans who contributed to the book and who regularly contribute to who and what we are and most of all to ramonz, w/out whom this project never would have happened and w/out whom it never would have been nearly as successful or professional. You done good, Robert.

BTW, thanks to the generosity of some supporters, we have given away virtually no freebies even to those you might think would ordinarily get one. The money being raised is going to the costs of publication and to Nuci's. Period. Yet another example of the big hearted nature of this community.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote: Congratulations to the editorial team, the band and its team, Nuci's Space, all the fans who contributed to the book and who regularly contribute to who and what we are and most of all to ramonz, w/out whom this project never would have happened and w/out whom it never would have been nearly as successful or professional. You done good, Robert.
x2

Got mine yesterday and, wow, it really is fantastic. Read some of it last night and can't wait to read the rest. BRAVO RAMONZ, you did an amazing job with this project, brother!!
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

beantownbubba wrote:Congratulations to the editorial team, the band and its team, Nuci's Space, all the fans who contributed to the book and who regularly contribute to who and what we are and most of all to ramonz, w/out whom this project never would have happened and w/out whom it never would have been nearly as successful or professional. You done good, Robert.
Ramonz did a magnificent job. I am sure, like any writer/editor/publisher there are floating commas and unclosed parens he'd like to fix, and little things that might nag, but the whole thing utterly overwhelms any possible picking of nits. (And I want to make it 100% clear: this is about the "perfectionism" that makes the book so f**king good, not about anything I found, or was looking for. In my role as host of a reading series, I get books from major publishers--Simon & Schuster, Penguin, Harper Collins, etc. And every one of those books has something in it, even with dozens of proofs, and the money and time to do so. This is a monumnetal undertaking by all concerned).

After battling our overburdened package room to a draw, I finally got my copy Tuesday evening. After a day where it just was not possible to do more than flip through the pages, I had time to really sit down with it last night. And it was, as BTB alluded to, so much more in the whole than any of the parts I'd seen before pub. It was a far more emotional experience than I expected it to be. (Shoulda known better). Even when you're at a show, and among all the people you know personally in the community, it's almost impossible to get a grasp on the breadth of it. I mean, you KNOW it's there, but the book really brings home how extraordinary it is, how varied the people are, and yet how connected we all are, and how it stems from the band themselves. (Clams' email from Patterson made me well up. It indicates so much more than just "customer service", which Clams communicated so well).

As a relative newbie, my immersion in this community has without question been the difference between being in the light and dwelling in the dark over the last two very tough years. And it was so moving to see so many variations of "Things were hard, there were terrible and tragic losses, and then I got to Homecoming, and there was life again". Going to show after show, I get periodic infusions of love, community, and of course the best live music being performed right now. And now, I can pick up this wonderful thing, and see your faces, and remember, and look forward to seeing them again, and meet new, wonderful people, and have the experience in real life, never quite soon enough. I'm honored, flattered, and grateful to have any small part of it at all.
Last edited by glennrwordman on Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Just an amazing job by Ramonz and the entire editorial board. Thanks to everyone for their hard work on this labor of love. I'll treasure this book like I treasure the friendships I've made with all y'all motherfuckers! I think the biggest problem Ramonz will have this HC is how to avoid alcohol poisoning from all the drinks we'll be buying him.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Hey folks, this thing is far surpassing our original sales goals and could very well sell out soon. If you haven't ordered do it now. There is a "pick up at Homecoming" option to save on shipping or if you're overseas. Please don't wait, it's a wonderful book.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

scotto

Post by scotto »

Man. This is truly better than I thought it would be. I know there are a lot of folks known and unknown who invested a lot of love and sweat into putting this beast together, so, rather than leave anyone out, I'll just say thanks to all y'all motherfuckers.
I've already thumbed it cover to cover and back again while blasting Decoration Day over and over. The perfect addition to the ol' music room.
This is really special.
Cheers

Clams

Post by Clams »

Curious about how the interviews with the band and others were done. In person? Over the phone? Email?
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Clams wrote:Curious about how the interviews with the band and others were done. In person? Over the phone? Email?
Thanks for all the kind words folks! It was a classic team effort, and a great team and great content made it hard to screw up too badly! :D

Interviews were a hodgepodge of phone and email. John, Dean, Beth, and Jeff, that's how y'all did the band interviews, right? The Camp Amp Band interview was in person at Hendershots last year. Some interviews were recorded and transcribed by software (the looooong Velena interview has that "conversational" style, and will be edited down if we do a 2nd Edition), and some were notes taken and then fleshed out. All interviews and essays were then pulled into a single holding spot, edited and/or corrected where needed (really just spelling, punctuation, etc.), put in order, laid out (usually w/ a photo), and then printed with the rest of the book.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ramonz wrote:
Clams wrote:Curious about how the interviews with the band and others were done. In person? Over the phone? Email?
Thanks for all the kind words folks! It was a classic team effort, and a great team and great content made it hard to screw up too badly! :D

Interviews were a hodgepodge of phone and email. John, Dean, Beth, and Jeff, that's how y'all did the band interviews, right? The Camp Amp Band interview was in person at Hendershots last year. Some interviews were recorded and transcribed by software (the looooong Velena interview has that "conversational" style, and will be edited down if we do a 2nd Edition), and some were notes taken and then fleshed out. All interviews and essays were then pulled into a single holding spot, edited and/or corrected where needed (really just spelling, punctuation, etc.), put in order, laid out (usually w/ a photo), and then printed with the rest of the book.
For the band interviews I wrote some general questions that I shared with John and Jeff, so that's why there is some duplication there, and they added many of their own as well. Bubba can answer this one but I think he interviewed Jay by phone. I think John's were by email and mine with Matt was email as well. The other one Beth and I did was Will Johnson and we did that one in person standing in a parking lot in Oxford, MS. He just kind of rambled and it was glorious. As I think came through in that last one Will is a HeAthen through and through.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

I did Brad in the back of the bus (no-wait-that doesn't sound right)
Always go to the show

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Jonicont wrote:I did Brad in the back of the bus (no-wait-that doesn't sound right)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Jonicont wrote:I did Brad in the back of the bus (no-wait-that doesn't sound right)
It sounds fine. You did what you did and that's cool.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

brett27295 wrote:
What happens on the bus stays on the bus (1st rule of rock and roll)
Always go to the show

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Jonicont wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
What happens on the bus stays on the bus (1st rule of rock and roll)
2nd rule---never take a shit on the bus.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Markalanbishop wrote:
Jonicont wrote: What happens on the bus stays on the bus (1st rule of rock and roll)
:lol: :lol: Actually I think that may be 1a
Always go to the show

Danger Bird

Post by Danger Bird »

First off - well done and sincere thanks to all involved. I have been looking forward to going through "The Company We Keep" with my wife and kids since I first heard about the project. What a perfect way to share the DBT/Heathen/Homecoming experience with the people you love and don't fully understand what it all means. It is hard to express in words sometimes why DBT is so important to me and what exactly daddy does in Athens for 5 days every Feb. As we were going through the book page by page my kids started wondering aloud if daddy would be in any of the photos. I seriously doubted it. And then there it was... a picture of me and my good buddy at Flicker while I am in the act of drinking a beer. My kids were thrilled and think daddy is famous. My wife was less amused but hardly surprised. We all had a great laugh and enjoyed going through the book together in great detail. Exceptional work! See y'all soon.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Jonicont wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:
Jonicont wrote: What happens on the bus stays on the bus (1st rule of rock and roll)
:lol: :lol: Actually I think that may be 1a

"The show was good. Good audience. The Bitter Tears were frightening and funny and catchy as all hell. And, like most good European shows, we were ushered off stage quickly so that the dance party could start. We loaded out and Bernt, the driver, gathered us all together and said the following: “'I told you one thing, and that was NO SHITTING on the bus. Someone SHIT on the bus and I had to clean it out. NO MORE SHITTING ON THE BUS. Only if it’s an emergency.'”

----Very educational account of touring on a bus by Jason Groth of Magnolia Electric Co.: http://groakus.tumblr.com
Let the outside air in

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

schlanky wrote:
"The show was good. Good audience. The Bitter Tears were frightening and funny and catchy as all hell. And, like most good European shows, we were ushered off stage quickly so that the dance party could start. We loaded out and Bernt, the driver, gathered us all together and said the following: “'I told you one thing, and that was NO SHITTING on the bus. Someone SHIT on the bus and I had to clean it out. NO MORE SHITTING ON THE BUS. Only if it’s an emergency.'”

----Very educational account of touring on a bus by Jason Groth of Magnolia Electric Co.: http://groakus.tumblr.com
We're parked at the venue the driver will skin you
If you paper or do number two in the loo

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not that there's anything wrong w/ that.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Let's see: Jay & I touched base f2f at HC basically to confirm that despite our best intentions there was no way the interview was happening that wkend :) We then did the bulk of the interview by phone, using some really cool transcribing software the name of which I've already forgotten but it's free and easy to find. Follow up and polishing was done by email.

Edit: My goal, which I think I achieved in part, was to have more of a conversation than a Q&A even if it led us off topic (let's just say that, as long as it is, I significantly edited the original transcript lol). So I used TC's questions as a good guide or as a way to make sure we covered some of the major points while we were essentially shooting the shit.
Last edited by beantownbubba on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Markalanbishop wrote:Just an amazing job by Ramonz and the entire editorial board. I think the biggest problem Ramonz will have this HC is how to avoid alcohol poisoning from all the drinks we'll be buying him.
Hey! I know I started it but some other people did work on the book ya know. ;) ;)

I know it's only been a couple of weeks but I guess because it's the time of year it is, I've had multiple opportunities to show and/or talk about the book w/ a variety of people and I gotta say I'm about as proud of my small contribution to the book as anything I've done in recent years. And extra proud to know ramonz.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Here's a question: If I make my order tonight--which I realize I should have done some time ago, okay--is it likely to arrive by the 31st? I just realized that's the day I get to see my best friend who has not gone insane and blown up his life and his marriage and every goddam thing, unlike my other best friend, and that I could give it to him if I got it shipped to Fayetteville instead of my house.

And here's another question: Since that probably won't work out, is it possible to ship two copies in one order to a separate address?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Here's a question: If I make my order tonight--which I realize I should have done some time ago, okay--is it likely to arrive by the 31st? I just realized that's the day I get to see my best friend who has not gone insane and blown up his life and his marriage and every goddam thing, unlike my other best friend, and that I could give it to him if I got it shipped to Fayetteville instead of my house.

And here's another question: Since that probably won't work out, is it possible to ship two copies in one order to a separate address?
For separate addresses you’ll have to do two orders. As far as when it will ship that I can’t tell you. We’re almost sold out though so best get it done.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:Here's a question: If I make my order tonight--which I realize I should have done some time ago, okay--is it likely to arrive by the 31st? I just realized that's the day I get to see my best friend who has not gone insane and blown up his life and his marriage and every goddam thing, unlike my other best friend, and that I could give it to him if I got it shipped to Fayetteville instead of my house.

For separate addresses you’ll have to do two orders. As far as when it will ship that I can’t tell you. We’re almost sold out though so best get it done.
Good advice followed! I'm sending them both to Fayetteville. It'll work out.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Looks like this run sold out. Congrats to all involved. But let me know if there's a second run, because I am useless and just got around to trying to order it tonight.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:Looks like this run sold out. Congrats to all involved. But let me know if there's a second run, because I am useless and just got around to trying to order it tonight.
Yes we are SOLD OUT!!

From Ramonz

Nuci’s owns the copyright so it is really up to them. It could happen some day, based on demand, but it’s a big undertaking, financially and otherwise, so a second printing is not a certainty. In a day or two we’ll add a button to the book site that will let you indicate (no obligation) that you’d be interested in a second run. Thanks to all of you who supported this project with your hard-earned dollars....we did it!
Always go to the show

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Jonicont wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:Looks like this run sold out. Congrats to all involved. But let me know if there's a second run, because I am useless and just got around to trying to order it tonight.
Yes we are SOLD OUT!!

From Ramonz

Nuci’s owns the copyright so it is really up to them. It could happen some day, based on demand, but it’s a big undertaking, financially and otherwise, so a second printing is not a certainty. In a day or two we’ll add a button to the book site that will let you indicate (no obligation) that you’d be interested in a second run. Thanks to all of you who supported this project with your hard-earned dollars....we did it!
Thanks. Clicked said button. That said, if someone ended up with multiple copies and would be willing to sell me one (I'd make a bonus Nuci's contribution for your trouble), PM me.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

While the book IS sold out, we would encourage you to jump on the website (http://www.thecompanywekeepbook.com) and indicate in the new spot provided whether you would buy a copy for yourself, friends, etc. if a 2nd run was produced. We've had a nice response so far, and if there is one thing that could get a 2nd run rocking, it's a long list of potential buyers. Thanks!

TDB

Post by TDB »

Just my dumb luck! After two years of bitching about getting screwed by scalpers I got tix for all 4 HC shows the day they went on sale. Hooray!
(Have you heard a PEEP out of me this year regarding those scum fucking, ticket scalping, Republican cartel's....NOOOOOOOOOOO!)
Anyway, I decided to wait on the book until I got to Athens--not realizing it was a limited edition thing. I SHOULD have taken my folks up on buying it for a Xmas present! Yes, I still exchange gifts with my parents. Fuck you if you have a problem with it. Now, I'm 50/50 on going to the shows (Valentines Day is big money week for servers) and the damn book is sold out! Please put me in for a copy if there is a second printing. Hell, I will buy two if that gets you closer to the bottom line.

"Rev" Todd

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

We've already got over 130 folks that have "signed up" for a copy at the site (http://www.thecompanywekeepbook.com) in case Nuci's decides to do a 2nd run, and we'll see how many more indications of interest we can get at Homecoming.

Keep 'em coming!