Jan/Feb dates with Lucinda Williams!

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

uncle rickey

Jan/Feb dates with Lucinda Williams!

Post by uncle rickey »

DBT & LUCINDA WILLIAMS TOUR 2019

On sale Friday, November 16

01/24/19 - Pensacola, FL - Vinyl Music Hall **
01/25/19 - Jacksonville, FL - Florida Theatre
01/26/19 - Orlando, FL - Plaza Live Theatre
02/01/19 - St. Petersburg, FL - Jannus Live
02/02/19 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL - Parker Playhouse
02/05/19 - Charleston, SC - North Charleston Performing Arts Center
02/07/19 - Raleigh, NC - The Ritz
02/08/19 - Washington, DC - The Anthem
02/09/19 - Richmond, VA - The National

**DBT and Erika Wennerstrom only

brett27295

Re: Jan/Feb dates with Lucinda Williams!

Post by brett27295 »

First time back in Raleigh since the official kickoff of the English Oceans tour. A co-headlining gig with someone I’m not a huge fan of? We’re a strong maybe for the hometown gig.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

Curious as to who opens and who closes. On theater website it says DBT and Lucinda Williams, with a pic of DBT first, but as a description they have this lovely bit of writing.......

For the past 30 years, Lucinda Williams has channeled her perspective as a proud but vulnerable Southern female into a string of stellar albums, each of which weave rock, country, folk and blues so tightly that each of the elements seems to disappear. Lucinda Williams (1988) was her breakthrough disc, but her magnum opus, 1998's Car Wheels on a Gravel Road, sealed the her reputation as a formidable singer-songwriter. Ruminating on disappointments, fretting over lost friends, and celebrating the subtlest of life's joys, it was an obvious masterpiece that resounds with immediacy.
Joining Lucinda is Southern Rock/Country band Drive-By Truckers, who have been heralded as one of the most well-respected alternative country acts of the 2000’s. Best known for their hits “Goddamn Lonely Love”, “Outfit”, and “Where the Devil Don’t Stay”.

:roll: :x :x :lol: :lol:

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Interesting there's a date with Erika Wennerstrom. I wonder if that one is a co headline or she's simply opening for DBT? Either way, I could get behind it.

I'm a hard pass on the Lucinda Williams dates. I love Car Wheels on a Gravel Road but I've seen her before and simply have no interest in her 2018 live show. Kind of funny how 2/3 the "hits" that piece mentions are written/sang by a guy no longer in the band.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Interesting pairing. DBT and Lucinda are two of my absolute favorites and I've seen Lu many times over the years (including 10 days ago on her Car Wheels 20th anniversary tour which included a stunning reproduction of the entire record in order with introductions for every song).

That said, I'm not sure this will be a good pairing in the way of past DBT coheadlining tours (The Hold Steady and Old 97's come to mind). Lucinda can bring the rock, but her shows are generally more mellow and her audience definitely runs older and more sedate than DBT crowds - her crowd is gonna have trouble staying on their feet for the full length of this show. :lol:

As far as the music goes though, one thing's for sure: there's gonna be an awful lot of really good fucking songs coming from the stage at these shows.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

First thing that came to mind is that, just like last year, they'll be coming in hot to HC instead of off a 10 week break. :D
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote: Kind of funny how 2/3 the "hits" that piece mentions are written/sang by a guy no longer in the band.
Calling them "hits" is kind of funny, listing Jason's song is almost shocking to those of us who are so caught up in all things DBT, though I'm sure "they" didn't mean anything by it.
Clams wrote:one thing's for sure: there's gonna be an awful lot of really good fucking songs coming from the stage at these shows.
Quoted for truth and clam-ness :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

DBT is listed as the headliner for the DC show. I think they are for Richmond too but am not sure.

I will probably attend the DC and Richmond shows, go home, then fly to Georgia for Homecoming on the day I had planned already.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I was @ the Merriweather show a while back when DBT opened for Lucinda. It was a good pairing even if the general public didn’t agree. It was the emptiest I have ever seen MPP. I had my elbows on the stage @ MPP!! Truckers put on a great if abbreviated show. Lucinda came on & at first her security gorillas were not letting people up to the stage. She wasn’t quite matching the intensity that DBT had just enjoyed so she waved us on up & put on a very good show.
I’ve seen Lucinda 5-6.more times since then (on the Outlaw Country Cruises). She always puts on a great show (sometimes under unfavorable weather conditions). I am going on the OCC again in 2019 & Lucinda will be there again & this year DBT will also be playing. Can’t fucking wait. Will probably be going to the D.C. show (which is right between the cruise & HC).
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Interesting there's a date with Erika Wennerstrom. I wonder if that one is a co headline or she's simply opening for DBT? Either way, I could get behind it.

I'm a hard pass on the Lucinda Williams dates. I love Car Wheels on a Gravel Road but I've seen her before and simply have no interest in her 2018 live show. Kind of funny how 2/3 the "hits" that piece mentions are written/sang by a guy no longer in the band.
For what it's worth, the DBT website is more explicit: The first date is just Erick Wennerstrom and DBT; the rest are all three bands and are listed as "co-headlining w/ Lucinda Williams w/ special guest Erika Wennerstrom".

I'm still pissed at Lucinda for standing me up that time, but I'd sure like to see Erika Wennerstrom again. I hear the other band is pretty good, too.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:her audience definitely runs older and more sedate than DBT crowds
Sedate I'll give you, but how much older are they? I've seen photos from Homecoming, and y'all aren't exactly a bunch of spring chickens! :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Look at Florida getting more shows in a week than California likely gets all year

They should take those dates away until they figure out how to run a proper election :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Look at Florida getting more shows in a week than California likely gets all year

They should take those dates away until they figure out how to run a proper election :lol:
They can't do one of those "first 50 who voted get in free" shows in FL 'cause nobody can prove they actually voted.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Look at Florida getting more shows in a week than California likely gets all year

They can't do one of those "first 50 who voted get in free" shows in FL 'cause nobody can prove they actually voted.
First 50 who ate a man’s face in a bath salt-enduced rage get in free
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Not that anyone gives a damn but upon further review we're a weak maybe on the Raleigh date. If DBT plays first, we're probably in. If DBT plays last we're out. It's Thursday, it's the Ritz, and Homecoming will be literally days away.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

I bet DBT and Williams play roughly equal length sets with Williams playing last. The show in my area (P'cola) does not feature Lucinda, so no issue there. What saith the group about Erika?

John A Arkansawyer

blackwll wrote:What saith the group about Erika?
Go to this show! I don't love the Heartless Bastards--I like them, but I don't love them. Erika Wennstrom solo is a whole different bag. The kid and I saw her open for DBT in Macon and she was great! I've been plugging her solo shows to friends in the areas she's playing.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Erika Wennstrom solo is a whole different bag.
This. Her guitar player is fantastic.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

John A Arkansawyer

LBRod wrote:
I didn't mention that, did I? Yeah. She's great!

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Zip City wrote:
Clams wrote:her audience definitely runs older and more sedate than DBT crowds
Sedate I'll give you, but how much older are they? I've seen photos from Homecoming, and y'all aren't exactly a bunch of spring chickens! :lol:
No doubt about it. That's like the pot calling the kettle black. If the percentage of grey rugs is higher for Lucinda's fans, it's only marginally higher at best.

I've always wondered what it is about DBT's sound that attracts old balls. (Albeit young at heart!) Is it that they drop mentions of BOC?

BTW...impressive triple bill.

Flea

Post by Flea »

brett27295 wrote:Not that anyone gives a damn but upon further review we're a weak maybe on the Raleigh date. If DBT plays first, we're probably in. If DBT plays last we're out. It's Thursday, it's the Ritz, and Homecoming will be literally days away.
Likely to miss the Richmond show for similar reasons.
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
LBRod wrote:
I didn't mention that, did I? Yeah. She's great!
Definitely enjoyed EW solo and hell yeah, her guitar player is terrific.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Will attend the Richmond show.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Didn't realize initially that the DC show is on a Friday nite. That definitely puts it in play, will decide sometime before tix go on sale.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Slipkid42 wrote: I’ve seen Lucinda 5-6.more times since then (on the Outlaw Country Cruises). She always puts on a great show (sometimes under unfavorable weather conditions). I am going on the OCC again in 2019 & Lucinda will be there again & this year DBT will also be playing. Can’t fucking wait. Will probably be going to the D.C. show (which is right between the cruise & HC).
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: Look at Florida getting more shows in a week than California likely gets all year
After going on the Skynyrd cruises, I realized most bands going on these cruises do a Florida run right before or after the cruise. This is great news!
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

gepman

Post by gepman »

The Rt29 Revue a few years ago at MPP, like Slip said, was the sparsest I've ever seen MPP.
There was a local opener (Justin something I think) that played for 35-45 minutes. Then DBT played for about an hour and ten minutes I didn't stay for Lucinda's full set.
If they're smart this time around, do away with any local opener, give DBT and Lucinda closer to 1:30 each.

09Gamecock

Post by 09Gamecock »

Why is the band playing a second straight "gimmick" show in Richmond? I was glad to see them have the opportunity to headline the Stone Brewing festival, but then would expect they'd play a proper DBT show the next time around. Splitting the bill with someone many DBT fans don't want to see is frustrating, especially when it means we're going to get a shorter Truckers set. Of all the options... Lucinda Williams?!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

09Gamecock wrote:Of all the options... Lucinda Williams?!
Speak for yourself, I can't think of a more agreeable fit for the majority of DBT fans than motherfuckin' Lu.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

John A Arkansawyer

Smitty wrote:
09Gamecock wrote:Of all the options... Lucinda Williams?!
Speak for yourself, I can't think of a more agreeable fit for the majority of DBT fans than motherfuckin' Lu.
Motherfuckin' DBT never stood me up.

But yeah, at least on paper, this is a great pairing. I'm not sure how the Lucinda fan base will enjoy it. Erika Wennstrom will probably get a lot of new fans from it, though.

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

I have seen Lu several times, but the last one was at the Suwanee Music Park at one of the festivals a couple of years ago. That night she brought it harder than I have ever seen her. It was almost Metal like. In fact my wife left and went to another show. It was electric guitar driven like a muther.