The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

And I thought the NRA had chutzpah. These days, all you have to do is wait around for an hour or two and something even more out there, disorienting, bizarre comes along. This one manages to be both totally predictable and, as an example of chutzpah, right up there w/ the kid who kills his parents and then throws himself on the mercy of the court because he's an orphan. Truly unbelievable. And the author doesn't even mention McConnell's "leadership" on the tax bill.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... qUW4EGocv4
They're not monsters. They're not animals.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:And I thought the NRA had chutzpah. These days, all you have to do is wait around for an hour or two and something even more out there, disorienting, bizarre comes along. This one manages to be both totally predictable and, as an example of chutzpah, right up there w/ the kid who kills his parents and then throws himself on the mercy of the court because he's an orphan. Truly unbelievable. And the author doesn't even mention McConnell's "leadership" on the tax bill.

Saw this comment regarding the Turtle’s chutzpah:

“When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.”
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:And I thought the NRA had chutzpah. These days, all you have to do is wait around for an hour or two and something even more out there, disorienting, bizarre comes along. This one manages to be both totally predictable and, as an example of chutzpah, right up there w/ the kid who kills his parents and then throws himself on the mercy of the court because he's an orphan. Truly unbelievable. And the author doesn't even mention McConnell's "leadership" on the tax bill.

Saw this comment regarding the Turtle’s chutzpah:

“When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles.”
I never would have put it this way until i read this quote in the context of the article I posted, but the freedom quote is a straightforward power play or put another way speaks to unfairness; the other adds an element of smarminess, cynicism and absence of shame* that to me is more over the top or at least more frustrating because there's nothing one can do in response.

*But not lack of self-awareness: he knows exactly what he's doing.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Prediction: Jeff Flake is going to run for President as a Democrat.
Now it's dark.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Flea wrote:Prediction: Jeff Flake is going to run for President as a Democrat.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

"When Finland sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re bringing leaf blowers. They’re bringing hoes. They’re rakists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

whatwouldcooleydo?

I've got two tickets to Pleasure, pack your bags we'll leave tonight

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Any predications on how Trump will fuck up the Turkey Pardon?
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer wrote:Any predications on how Trump will fuck up the Turkey Pardon?
He’ll execute the turkey (with a bone saw), thinking it will appease the Saudis

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

That would be a trick. Dude is a hardcore conservative and has been his whole career. His recent reticence towards the President as been mostly bluster and then he goes and votes with him anyway. Good luck with that.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Flea

Post by Flea »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
That would be a trick. Dude is a hardcore conservative and has been his whole career. His recent reticence towards the President as been mostly bluster and then he goes and votes with him anyway. Good luck with that.
If he did that he would be our next President.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Confederate Cindy wins in Mississippi

What were the odds? :roll:

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Confederate Cindy wins in Mississippi

With all due respect to TC and any other heAthens who live in Mississippi........fuck that state. Democrats shouldn't spend a dime there ever again. Total lost cause and not worth the effort
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Flea

Post by Flea »

Zip City wrote:

With all due respect to TC and any other heAthens who live in Mississippi........fuck that state. Democrats shouldn't spend a dime there ever again. Total lost cause and not worth the effort
No. That a progressive candidate with a melanin surplus came that close is cause for more support in Mississippi.
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:

That would absolutely be the wrong approach. This was an incremental victory. Infrastructure was built. Young people got involved. I got 77 texts int eh last three weeks urging me to vote Espy. I carried on some conversations with those folks and they were excited. This year we had two excellent candidates for Senate in David Baria and Mike Espy, four years ago Thad Cochrane ran essentially unopposed. Three years ago the Democratic candidate for Governor was a truck driver that spent zero on a campaign and actually forgot he was running and didn't even vote for himself. We have rising stars here in the Democratic party and it's unlikely that events like those will happen again. The South was abandoned by the Democrats for thirty years and Rome wasn't built in a day. I've lived here six years and I've never been this encouraged.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Flea wrote:No. That a progressive candidate with a melanin surplus came that close is cause for more support in Mississippi.

100%. Beto O'Rourke wouldn't have done as well as he did in Texas without Wendy Davis running for governor in 2014. Her campaign helped build infrastructure and build Democratic organizations in communities. Giving up has been tried in the south, it failed miserably. Time to buck up and prepare for the long game.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

That would absolutely be the wrong approach. This was an incremental victory. Infrastructure was built.
Yes, there are entrenched politically realities in Mississippi, and other deeply red states (not just in the south), but...even in the biggest blow out, in the reddest state, at least 40% of people stand up and say "No. Not in my name". And both demographics and the slow, sometimes painfully slow, building of responsive progressive infrastructure is ongoing, and in order to turn the massive battleship around, needs nurturing and support.

I worked a book event for Rebecca Traister, the author of "Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women's Anger", and there was a panel of five powerhouse women, all of whom have fairly recently entered into an "active" phase of putting themselves in the spotlight, running for office, creating media companies, and yes, organizations that train women to run for office all over the country (and win). The darkness of the past few years (including the barely coded responses to the Obama presidency) has resulted in new blood and new energy coming into races and campaigns from district libraries to the Senate. It won't turn around in one cycle, or two. But, and maybe I am an incurable optimist opining from a position of enormous privilege, as the saying goes, "The wheel may turn slowly, but it turns". (And heck; look at Kansas; a serious repudiation of regressive forces, though with still more work to do).

We all (progressives, liberals) want it to happen faster, as the damage done every day the status quo remains is real and devastating, but the nascent forces in places like Mississippi must be nurtured over time, until genuine change occurs.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Flea wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
If he did that he would be our next President.
I don't think so. The guy is all talk and no spine. I suppose there are some democrats who might vote for him in a primary, but I don't know any of them.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Mr. B wrote:Prediction: Jeff Flake is going to run for President as a Democrat.

If he did that he would be our next President.[/quote]

I don't think so. The guy is all talk and no spine. I suppose there are some democrats who might vote for him in a primary, but I don't know any of them.[/quote]

Name three...never mind...name ONE...significant ACTION Flake has taken over the past two years. Words are nice, action matters. Flake is a hollow void and his performance isn't deserving of additional time in public service, certainly not in an elevated role.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

glennrwordman wrote:
That would absolutely be the wrong approach. This was an incremental victory. Infrastructure was built.
Yes, there are entrenched politically realities in Mississippi, and other deeply red states (not just in the south), but...even in the biggest blow out, in the reddest state, at least 40% of people stand up and say "No. Not in my name". And both demographics and the slow, sometimes painfully slow, building of responsive progressive infrastructure is ongoing, and in order to turn the massive battleship around, needs nurturing and support.

I worked a book event for Rebecca Traister, the author of "Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women's Anger", and there was a panel of five powerhouse women, all of whom have fairly recently entered into an "active" phase of putting themselves in the spotlight, running for office, creating media companies, and yes, organizations that train women to run for office all over the country (and win). The darkness of the past few years (including the barely coded responses to the Obama presidency) has resulted in new blood and new energy coming into races and campaigns from district libraries to the Senate. It won't turn around in one cycle, or two. But, and maybe I am an incurable optimist opining from a position of enormous privilege, as the saying goes, "The wheel may turn slowly, but it turns". (And heck; look at Kansas; a serious repudiation of regressive forces, though with still more work to do).

We all (progressives, liberals) want it to happen faster, as the damage done every day the status quo remains is real and devastating, but the nascent forces in places like Mississippi must be nurtured over time, until genuine change occurs.
I guess I would rather put the money and resources into states that have recently gone blue, but are trending red (like Ohio) rather than into steep uphill climbs like the Deep South. I don’t need every state to go blue, so if I’m picking my battles, I want to pick ones I can win
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

I guess I would rather put the money and resources into states that have recently gone blue, but are trending red (like Ohio) rather than into steep uphill climbs like the Deep South. I don’t need every state to go blue, so if I’m picking my battles, I want to pick ones I can win
I think that's an absolutely valid strategy as well. (Civility!) I think there are enough resources and talent to do both. The trick is to find and nurture it not just at times where the existence of a (hopefully) Sui Generis figure like Trump inspires, for instance, literally thousands of women to make the leap into running for office, but when it is just "politics as usual".

Of course the fight over gerrymandering and redistricting complicates everything, but I do believe writing off any locale where there are even a few people fighting the good fight risks losing the fight forever. Cheers...
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

John A Arkansawyer

Zip City wrote:I guess I would rather put the money and resources into states that have recently gone blue, but are trending red (like Ohio) rather than into steep uphill climbs like the Deep South. I don’t need every state to go blue, so if I’m picking my battles, I want to pick ones I can win
That is exactly the sort of thinking that got us down this hole and that would've not elected Doug Jones in Alabama. You don't need every state to go blue? Those of us who live in those states you don't care about kind of need our homes to improve. In other news:
On Facebook, Nathan Ryan wrote:While there is plenty to be disgusted about with Mississippi’s election yesterday, I’ve seen too many cheap shots at the poorest, blackest state in the country.

States in the Delta are literally built on the silt, successes and failures of the country. The river come from everywhere, it’s just wider, stronger and more dangerous down here.

If you are disgusted that a woman could be elected after stoking such obvious images of racial violence and dominance, good. Be disgusted. But don’t make Mississippi into your excuse for individual absolution.

Ask yourself why that state is so deprived of healthcare, prosperity, and basic civic services. If you don’t come up with an answer that implicates the entire country, look a little bit deeper.

I’m not saying Mississippi shouldn’t look deep into its soul and question why they are ok with such obtuse racism, but so should every state in this country.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:I guess I would rather put the money and resources into states that have recently gone blue, but are trending red (like Ohio) rather than into steep uphill climbs like the Deep South. I don’t need every state to go blue, so if I’m picking my battles, I want to pick ones I can win
Here's the thing, people live here and we want see people's live improve. So you keep chipping away, chipping away. Espy actually did statistically almost exactly what he you could have expected and out performed Hilary Clinton by 8 points in a runoff. Had this been a traditional two person race from the outset and CHS said the same stupid shit he would have picked up a couple of more points. We need to be able to field quality candidates election after election. Truck drivers who forget they're running are not acceptable. There are some real up and comers in the Democratic party in this state. The Lafayette County Democratic Chairwoman is impressive as hell and that county was nearly evenly split. There are communities like Tupelo that are encouraging young people to come live and work there and they are encouraging businesses who appeal to that demographic to come as well. Jackson has an exciting, young, very progressive mayor that's actually getting things done. Rep. Bennie Thompson is about to become Chairman of the Homeland Security Committee in the Democratic US House. It's not about turning the state blue it's about breaking the monopoly that racist shitbags have on our politics and we can't do that without quality candidates. Remember Doug Jones was a high quality candidate in Alabama that didn't expect to win until Roy Moore won the primary. Those opportunities will come and we have to be ready for them.

whatwouldcooleydo?

You guys are right, but dammit, I had this bullet in the chamber and I won't be denied :lol: :lol: :lol:

John A Arkansawyer

A Mississippi Post-Mortem: State Lacks Massive Metro Area, Suburbs Didn’t Flip

It's worth reading. It's optimistic but not overly so.

John A Arkansawyer

In unrelated news from Florence, Alabama:

U of North Alabama Censured Over Free Press Issues
The College Media Association has censured the University of North Alabama after administrators there allegedly fired the adviser of the student newspaper over a negative story it published.
It's a hard world for people without a Piled High and Deep after their name.

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

"Oh, I get it! I am a very good developer, happily living my life, when I see our Country going in the wrong direction (to put it mildly). Against all odds, I decide to run for President & continue to run my business-very legal & very cool, talked about it on the campaign trail.......Lightly looked at doing a building somewhere in Russia. Put up zero money, zero guarantees and didn’t do the project. Witch Hunt!"

Yes. Very cool. Also, when you describe something as VERY LEGAL, it might just indicate you don't understand the law VERY well.

John A Arkansawyer

Does Humor Belong In Politics?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Does Humor Belong In Politics?
Just put it on a tee why dontcha, JohnA? Politics is a joke.