The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

pearlbeer

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by pearlbeer »

A dead brothel owner beat a Democrat.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dennis-ho ... e?ref=home
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

pearlbeer wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:This could have been so much worse. I'm disappointed and relieved.
I don't know. It seems like the bare acceptable minimum.
I didn't say I was relieved and disappointed. I said I was disappointed and relieved.
pearlbeer wrote:I'm just very tired of coming very close. Being from Texas, I put more effort into the Beto campaign than any other political campaign in my lifetime. Hundreds of hours fundraising, door knocking, registering people to vote. It has been very rewarding and exciting. However, it just feels like, across the country, what else can we do to win? Yeah, we took the House (barely), but there were just SO MANY disappointing results that, in my mind, are just inexplicable. Beto, Stacey, Gillium, Steve King, Duncan Hunter, Nelson. The rationale for victories in those races is just so...dark.

I'm still up for the fight, and happy we will now have some level of accountability in our government. I just hope the Party takes the time to reflect and shake the tree a bit. If it ain't broke don't fix it? It's broke. Fix it. I think we need new leadership.
All joking aside, you guys coming so close in Texas is a heartbreaker. I feel it for you from here, and hating Texas is the state pastime (except in football season, when it's whining about the refs) of Arkansas. But you also proved a point: In one of the reddest states in America, a straight-up liberal is just barely short of winning the state.

Normally, proving a point and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee. (Coffee is usually four, but there's a loser surcharge.) This time around, I think it made your point:
pearlbeer wrote:I just hope the Party takes the time to reflect and shake the tree a bit. If it ain't broke don't fix it? It's broke. Fix it. I think we need new leadership.
The argument against that for some time has been, "We're the best you can do, so I say live it or live with it."

This plus getting so close in Georgia and Florida plus the geographical breadth of the change in the House, all that adds up to a pretty good future, if we can get there.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

pearlbeer wrote:A dead brothel owner beat a Democrat.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dennis-ho ... e?ref=home
I bet he overcharged for it, too.

A ground-breaking report on a site many of you may know!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

jr29

Post by jr29 »

A liberal can almost win Texas, but a centrist democrat who was a very popular two term governor can't sniff a senate seat in my home state. Phil Bredesen seemed like the perfect candidate but he got smashed, even with huge turnout in Memphis and Nashville. It is quite discouraging.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Boy...it seems like the midterms were just yesterday. My how time flies! Now onward to the firing of Jefferson Beauregard Sessions. Strap in. FML.

Flea

Post by Flea »

pearlbeer wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:This could have been so much worse. I'm disappointed and relieved.
I don't know. It seems like the bare acceptable minimum. I'm just very tired of coming very close. Being from Texas, I put more effort into the Beto campaign than any other political campaign in my lifetime. Hundreds of hours fundraising, door knocking, registering people to vote. It has been very rewarding and exciting. However, it just feels like, across the country, what else can we do to win? Yeah, we took the House (barely), but there were just SO MANY disappointing results that, in my mind, are just inexplicable. Beto, Stacey, Gillium, Steve King, Duncan Hunter, Nelson. The rationale for victories in those races is just so...dark.

I'm still up for the fight, and happy we will now have some level of accountability in our government. I just hope the Party takes the time to reflect and shake the tree a bit. If it ain't broke don't fix it? It's broke. Fix it. I think we need new leadership.
100% correct. If the Dems allow Pelosi to ascend back to Speaker, they are

Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Fuckin' Up would be a good cover for the band.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Online I just saw the new acting-AG described as looking “like if a dick and a thumb had a baby”

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

jr29 wrote:A liberal can almost win Texas, but a centrist democrat who was a very popular two term governor can't sniff a senate seat in my home state. Phil Bredesen seemed like the perfect candidate but he got smashed, even with huge turnout in Memphis and Nashville. It is quite discouraging.
I still contend that Bredesen probably would’ve won if the election was a month or two ago. Seems like his comments on wanting to confirm Kavanaugh and his letting Blackburn outpace him in campaign spending came back to bite him in the end.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Another day, another shooting. If you read the profile of this guy, it is just inexplicable that he was allowed to keep his guns. Some of the people in the shooting were in attendance at the Las Vegas concert. It's like being struck with lightening twice. Except it's not. This is the new normal. We've accepted it. This is living with it. It can happen to you. It can happen multiple times. This is our reality.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/us/i ... e=Homepage

Hoping we can push the Dem Congress to act on this FAST. I'll remind you that after all the promises, bump stocks remain legal. Maybe the Senate won't act, but we can at least get their votes on record. The new Congress should outlaw bump stocks and expand background checks immediately.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:Another day, another shooting. If you read the profile of this guy, it is just inexplicable that he was allowed to keep his guns. Some of the people in the shooting were in attendance at the Las Vegas concert. It's like being struck with lightening twice. Except it's not. This is the new normal. We've accepted it. This is living with it. It can happen to you. It can happen multiple times. This is our reality.

Hoping we can push the Dem Congress to act on this FAST. I'll remind you that after all the promises, bump stocks remain legal. Maybe the Senate won't act, but we can at least get their votes on record. The new Congress should outlaw bump stocks and expand background checks immediately.
"The firearm had been outfitted with an extended magazine to hold more bullets than a typical handgun. It had been purchased legally " I share your pain, outrage and disbelief.

A few months ago I said it was legitimate, even necessary, to make gun control a single issue voting guide. Subsequent events made the election about Trump (which statistically is also probably a pretty good proxy for gun control) but now that the latest Trump created hysteria is over, it's time to put guns center stage again. And for the umpteenth time, NOBODY (or at least nobody whose opinion I value and endorse) is saying that they want to outlaw gun ownership. Simple steps: background checks, registration, severe control or elimination of high capacity weapons, nothing that should threaten your average hunter or home protector.
They're not monsters. They're not animals.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:Another day, another shooting. If you read the profile of this guy, it is just inexplicable that he was allowed to keep his guns. Some of the people in the shooting were in attendance at the Las Vegas concert. It's like being struck with lightening twice. Except it's not. This is the new normal. We've accepted it. This is living with it. It can happen to you. It can happen multiple times. This is our reality.

Unfortunately this Onion headline is classic because it's virtually always current:

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prev ... gfccpVgQb8

whatwouldcooleydo?

Just leave the flags at half-staff permanently

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Just leave the flags at half-staff permanently
Might as well...

BUT, I do think that the Dem Congress can make this an issue. They CAN now (or very soon) pass common-sense gun legislation. Will the Senate pass it? Probably not. Will the President sign it? Not likely. But, if we can't pass meaningful legislation, we can certainly get votes on the record for the first time in a long time. Like bubba said, this should be a single voting issue. It's time to bring it to the forefront and hold those that oppose the will of close to 90% of the electorate accountable for their positions.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Survivors of a mass shooting being victims of another mass shooting—it doesn’t get more ‘Merica than that :roll:

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

[youtube][/youtube]
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Survivors of a mass shooting being victims of another mass shooting—it doesn’t get more ‘Merica than that :roll:
Maybe it is time to change the national anthem:

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

murica rulz in this one.

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer wrote:Maybe it is time to change the national anthem:

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:

"The firearm had been outfitted with an extended magazine to hold more bullets than a typical handgun. It had been purchased legally " I share your pain, outrage and disbelief.

A few months ago I said it was legitimate, even necessary, to make gun control a single issue voting guide. Subsequent events made the election about Trump (which statistically is also probably a pretty good proxy for gun control) but now that the latest Trump created hysteria is over, it's time to put guns center stage again. And for the umpteenth time, NOBODY (or at least nobody whose opinion I value and endorse) is saying that they want to outlaw gun ownership. Simple steps: background checks, registration, severe control or elimination of high capacity weapons, nothing that should threaten your average hunter or home protector.
Nope. Legal weed. Solves more problems with much less opposition.
Now it's dark.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:Nope. Legal weed. Solves more problems with much less opposition.
Not an issue in some more advanced jurisdictions.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Smitty wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Oh, how I love that Iris Dement song....

This is the appropriate update

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
I live below the Mason-Dixon Line.

Q.E.D.
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Flea wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Q.E.D.
I think you'll beat Mississippi to legal weed though. I'm guessing we'll be last. Michigan just joined the party and Illinois is expecting to pass it in the legislature possibly as early as April. They've had the votes for a year but now they'll have a governor who won't veto it.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Flea

Post by Flea »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Flea wrote:

Q.E.D.
I think you'll beat Mississippi to legal weed though. I'm guessing we'll be last. Michigan just joined the party and Illinois is expecting to pass it in the legislature possibly as early as April. They've had the votes for a year but now they'll have a governor who won't veto it.
Was having this discussion with my parental units today, they are in NC. Which they find hard to believe is more progressive on a state level than VA, but it is in many many ways. If it were not for northern VA, Richmond, parts of Tidewater, and Charlottesville, we would be racing to the bottom of the 50 along with Mississippi.
Now it's dark.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:beat Mississippi to legal weed though. I'm guessing we'll be last.
Y'all had us beat on interracial marriage by a decade; pretty sure we'll give y'all a run for your money.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

From "the best defense is a good offense until you outrun your coverage" department:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/13/us/n ... qkkhthQzfU

The chutzpah involved here is breathtaking. You've got the group solely (and I mean solely) responsible for the federal ban on funding research into gun violence complaining that a medical journal is biased in its reporting on gun violence. I'd say "how dare they?" but, you know, it's the NRA. The arrogance displayed in that comment as well as in telling anyone, much less doctors writing about health issues arising from gun use, to "stay in their lane" and not talk about a topic of public concern is flabbergasting and incredibly inappropriate. Just speculating but I think this is the kind of decision-making that arises from living in bubbles and doing most of one's talking on the internet. This kind of obnoxious, edgy comment/behavior fits right into social media (and for that matter, talk radio) culture but (thankfully) is still inappropriate in a public comment by a national organization, but boy is that line getting blurry.

I have a feeling that "stay in your lane" is going to come back to haunt the NRA before long along the lines of "nevertheless she persisted."

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jemel Roberson.

He's the guy who was shot and killed for acting heroically while black. I just can't get over/past/around this one. On the one hand is the tragedy of it and on the other is the hopelessness of it. I don't have any idea how to deal with this sort of thing. On top of the white shooter at the Pittsburgh synagogue being captured alive even after shooting and wounding multiple cops the pain and fear and worry and despair is getting hard to manage day to day.

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:Jemel Roberson.

He's the guy who was shot and killed for acting heroically while black. I just can't get over/past/around this one. On the one hand is the tragedy of it and on the other is the hopelessness of it. I don't have any idea how to deal with this sort of thing. On top of the white shooter at the Pittsburgh synagogue being captured alive even after shooting and wounding multiple cops the pain and fear and worry and despair is getting hard to manage day to day.
You aren't the only one with him on your mind. Patterson brought him up last night during What It Means.

Those bastards in the NRA, their day will come sooner than they think and they will be out of a job. Luckily for them, they'll have enough guns to knock over liquor stores.