Cannery Ballroom, Nashville, TN 11/9-10

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tyler
Site Admin

Cannery Ballroom, Nashville, TN 11/9-10

Post by Tyler »

None of the locals have started a thread yet, so... let there be thread.

November 9th w/ Lilly Hiatt
November 10th w/ T. Hardy Morris

Sterling Bigmouth

Re: Cannery Ballroom, Nashville, TN 11/9-10

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

I’m in for night 1, unfortunately already had tickets to a ballgame on Saturday. Never seen a show in the Ballroom before though, anything worth knowing about it?
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Setup is a little weird.. long and narrow with the stage in one of the corners on the narrow end.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Tyler wrote:Setup is a little weird.. long and narrow with the stage in one of the corners on the narrow end.

Not nearly as bad as it used to be though. It’s a solid venue.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

That looks a lot like the Minglewood hall in Memphis.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

Gaetzi wrote:That looks a lot like the Minglewood hall in Memphis.
I haven't been to the Cannery in years, but best I recall, it is not nearly as big as Minglewood.
"Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time."

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ledward2 wrote:
Gaetzi wrote:That looks a lot like the Minglewood hall in Memphis.
I haven't been to the Cannery in years, but best I recall, it is not nearly as big as Minglewood.
No, it's not. It's nice room though. The sound on the rail is not great but of course it's the rail. A few years ago we spent one night on the rail and the second by the soundboard and I had no idea how nice sounding the room was before that. The only problem with the venue at all are the sight lines, but get there early, front or back, and you're good.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

So Bryan (beaverdamsfinlaw) is coming to the Birmingham show solo; I can’t swing them midweek, but I’m thinking of meeting him in Nashville. Grandpa is following the band!

Any advice on hotels? Everything seems ridiculously expensive around the venue ($400-$800 per night). I don’t mind paying a little more to be close to the venue, but these rooms are outrageous! We also don’t mind ubering outside of downtown.

Any suggestions from those who know Nashville?

Sterling Bigmouth

Beaverdam wrote:So Bryan (beaverdamsfinlaw) is coming to the Birmingham show solo; I can’t swing them midweek, but I’m thinking of meeting him in Nashville. Grandpa is following the band!

Any advice on hotels? Everything seems ridiculously expensive around the venue ($400-$800 per night). I don’t mind paying a little more to be close to the venue, but these rooms are outrageous! We also don’t mind ubering outside of downtown.

Unfortunately anything near the Ballroom or downtown is gonna be exorbitant over the weekend. If you’re ok with Ubering there’s plenty of places in east Nashville or down I-24 that aren’t too far. There’s also probably cheaper options in north and west Nashville, but I don’t know those parts of town well.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I'm in both nights.

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Beaverdam wrote:So Bryan (beaverdamsfinlaw) is coming to the Birmingham show solo; I can’t swing them midweek, but I’m thinking of meeting him in Nashville. Grandpa is following the band!

I'm staying at an Airbnb in East Nashville for about $60 a night. The area is awesome so we will spend the majority of the time there and uber downtown for both shows. I booked shortly after the shows were announced so I'm not sure what is affordable/left.

I've stayed at the Nashville Hostel before. It's in the center of downtown and only about a 7/10 mile walk to the Cannery. You can do dormitory style for super cheap (like $30 a night) or step it up to a private room for 2 or 4 people. I'm not sure what the pricing is on the private rooms but I can guarantee you it will be WAY cheaper than a $400.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

We haven't been in a few years, but the Best Western Music Row is our go-to, affordable and walkable to downtown (not sure about Cannery, though).

I also got cussed out by Cowboy Jack Clement in the hotel bar years ago, so ya never know who you'll run into.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Smitty wrote:We haven't been in a few years, but the Best Western Music Row is our go-to, affordable and walkable to downtown (not sure about Cannery, though).

I also got cussed out by Cowboy Jack Clement in the hotel bar years ago, so ya never know who you'll run into.
That place used to be fairly reasonable but the last couple times I've checked it's been north of $200 per night.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Rooms around Nashville are pretty sparse next weekend. There is a place in west Nashville I always stay these days and they were down to 3-4 rooms.
The best Western on Music Row was booked up and so were a couple others near downtown that I checked into.

Zip Up to Michigan

Two rawk shows to close out this week. Hell yeah!

Still holding out hope for an Isbell appearance but won't be surprised if it doesn't happen.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

jr29 wrote:Rooms around Nashville are pretty sparse next weekend. There is a place in west Nashville I always stay these days and they were down to 3-4 rooms.
The best Western on Music Row was booked up and so were a couple others near downtown that I checked into.
I bit the bullet last night and bought show tickets. Bryan and I found a reasonable room at the Super 8 Whyndhm Nashville West...appears to be about 10 Miles from the venue, so we may be paying out the ass for uber after the show. But we’ll be at the rock show.

I’ll see y’all Friday, and Bryan will see some of y’all early this week in Birmingham. Safe travels, heathens!

Sterling Bigmouth

Ended up selling my football tickets, so I’m now in for both nights. Hoping the mood at the show will be celebratory after Election Day!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

:?: :?:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip Up to Michigan

9:32

English Oceans
Fourth Night of my Drinking
Women Without Whiskey
Drag the Lake Charlie
A Ghost to Most ->
Goodes Field Road
Shit Shots Count ->
Lookout Mountain
First Air of Autumn
Thought & Prayers
Ramon Casiano ->
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
Surrender Under Protest
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
(New song )
3 Dimes Down
My Sweet Annette (w/Lily Hiatt)
Marry Me
Buttholeville
Kinky Hypocrite
The KKK Took My Baby Away
What It Means
Slow Ride Argument
Babies in Cages
Zip City
Let There Be Rock

11:48

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

The new song was “Awaiting Resurrection,” FYI.

Sterling Bigmouth

Spent the morning talking over breakfast with a cousin about our favorite moments from the show last night. The boys rocked as hard as they always do (as did Lilly Hiatt), and I never fail to have the biggest, dumbest grin on my face every time they break into Let There Be Rock. Can’t wait to do it all again tonight.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Good to see Drag The Lake Charlie back in the mix the last couple of nights...

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

gepman wrote:Good to see Drag The Lake Charlie back in the mix the last couple of nights...
Yes
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Filthy and Fried
The Righteous Path
A Ghost to Most
Do It Yourself
When the Pin Hits the Shell
The Living Bubba
Made Up English Oceans
21st Century USA
One of These Days
The Fourth Night of My Drinking
Slow Ride Argument
Babies in Cages
Where the Devil Don’t Stay
Days of Graduation —>
Ronnie and Neil
3 Dimes Down
Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love
Marry Me
What It Means
Surrender Under Protest
Why Henry Drinks
Women Without Whiskey
Hell No, I Ain’t Happy

Zip Up to Michigan

Although I walked away with a huge smile on my face, I can’t deny tonight fell a bit short of my expectations. It was pretty clear that after 5 straight nights , the boys simply ran out of steam. 10 minutes short of two hours tonight, no extended jams (the quickest hell no ive seen). Poor repeat song selections. I mean, not only were half of the songs repeated from last night, several were played three nights in a row. You can’t play dead drunk, guitar man, angels, sounds better, heathens.... but babies in Cages and what it means gets three nights in a row? Ouch. Just seemed like they went through the motions tonight. Again, I love every minute I have with this band and tonight was no exception but when I compare / contrast The Rock Shows I’ve seen, tonight was by far my least favorite.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Although I walked away with a huge smile on my face, I can’t deny tonight fell a bit short of my expectations. It was pretty clear that after 5 straight nights , the boys simply ran out of steam. 10 minutes short of two hours tonight, no extended jams (the quickest hell no ive seen). Poor repeat song selections. I mean, not only were half of the songs repeated from last night, several were played three nights in a row. You can’t play dead drunk, guitar man, angels, sounds better, heathens.... but babies in Cages and what it means gets three nights in a row? Ouch. Just seemed like they went through the motions tonight. Again, I love every minute I have with this band and tonight was no exception but when I compare / contrast The Rock Shows I’ve seen, tonight was by far my least favorite.
I didn't attend any of these shows so I can't comment directly, but I have felt similar in the past. I think the band sets such a high bar and repeatedly hit and exceed it that sometimes when they play an average show it feels like a letdown.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Patterson was losing his voice so I give them a pass on show length. He appeared to be struggling quite a bit during some tunes.
I do have some quibbles with the song selection but I still enjoyed both shows a great deal.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Have felt that way a lot with them.
Band plays very minimal songs from BTCD, TBTD & Go Go Boots. Would be nice to get more of those songs back into rotation.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Although I walked away with a huge smile on my face, I can’t deny tonight fell a bit short of my expectations. It was pretty clear that after 5 straight nights , the boys simply ran out of steam. 10 minutes short of two hours tonight, no extended jams (the quickest hell no ive seen). Poor repeat song selections. I mean, not only were half of the songs repeated from last night, several were played three nights in a row. You can’t play dead drunk, guitar man, angels, sounds better, heathens.... but babies in Cages and what it means gets three nights in a row? Ouch. Just seemed like they went through the motions tonight. Again, I love every minute I have with this band and tonight was no exception but when I compare / contrast The Rock Shows I’ve seen, tonight was by far my least favorite.
There were 27 songs played on Friday. Nine of them were played again last night. That’s not half.
All 5 of the songs you wish they had played last night were played in Birmingham. They can’t play everyone’s favorite songs at every show.
Patterson’s voice was not as good as usual but the band performed with good energy throughout the show.
Babies In Cages is a new song that is very relevant right now. What It Means is a key song from AB that sadly remains relevant. It’s not surprising that the band would play those songs.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I thought the energy last night was just fine. I thought Do It Yourself was really great.
Ain't Talkin Bout Love and Ronnie And Neil really seemed to pop in the crowd. It seemed everyone in the place was screaming the lyrics to those two.