MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: MLB 2018

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:The Cubs have a .603 winning percentage but the "fire Maddon" crowd is still going strong. One of my Cubs fan friends thought it would be funny to add me the a Fire Maddon FB group. Let's just say it's not funny. These people are dead serious.
It's seems clear to me that if you're the type of fan who hangs on the result of every individual game, then baseball may not be the sport for you
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:The Cubs have a .603 winning percentage but the "fire Maddon" crowd is still going strong. One of my Cubs fan friends thought it would be funny to add me the a Fire Maddon FB group. Let's just say it's not funny. These people are dead serious.
It's seems clear to me that if you're the type of fan who hangs on the result of every individual game, then baseball may not be the sport for you
Indeed. This whole narrative that they win in spite of Maddon is absurd.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Saw all of his at bats last nite. He is truly terrible but sadly enough he's not playing at a level below much of his team. I feel really bad ffor a "consummate professional type" like Adam Jones (machado clearly has a ticket out, the only question is when it gets punched). Davis's contract is clearly one of the bottom 5 worst contracts in baseball history and I'm being conservative 'cause I don't have that category at the front of my mind.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Saw all of his at bats last nite. He is truly terrible but sadly enough he's not playing at a level below much of his team. I feel really bad ffor a "consummate professional type" like Adam Jones (machado clearly has a ticket out, the only question is when it gets punched). Davis's contract is clearly one of the bottom 5 worst contracts in baseball history and I'm being conservative 'cause I don't have that category at the front of my mind.
Speaking of the woeful O's, in Monday nites 12 inning, 2-0 loss to the Sox, the O's had 5 hits, 7 walks and 13 men left on base. The Sox did not have any errors. I have not put any time into figuring this out but it can't be easy to do. Sign of the times in birdland for sure.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

the davis contract would be an all time whiff even if the o's hadnt outbid themselves and added millions more to it. yikes. i dont hate that franchise like a lot of nats fans seem to feel obligated to (i did grow up a fan after all) but their front office has been utterly baffling for...well, so long i cant say a time. the davis contract, the reliance on boom or bust sluggers, the big money deals for middling pitchers, the complete refusal to spend internationally, its all so at odds with how the game is done in 2018

anyway, yankee stadium fans booing bryce harper for leaving the game after his second HBP of the night sure is an odd recruiting strategy

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Shakespeare wrote:
anyway, yankee stadium fans booing bryce harper for leaving the game after his second HBP of the game sure is an odd recruiting strategy
Any player paying attention to how Yankee fans are treating Giancarlo Stanton should think twice about going to the Bronx

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

its definitely not new (for a franchise whose reputation around baseball is based on buying all the best players, their fans sure can be shitty to anyone that didnt come up through the yankees system) but it was especially jarring considering harpers been pegged as a yankee for a decade now

not that i believe itll play into his decision at all, just a bit of ominous foreshadowing

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I would bet good money that Harper does NOT go to the Yankees

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Shakespeare wrote:the davis contract would be an all time whiff even if the o's hadnt outbid themselves and added millions more to it. yikes. i dont hate that franchise like a lot of nats fans seem to feel obligated to (i did grow up a fan after all) but their front office has been utterly baffling for...well, so long i cant say a time. the davis contract, the reliance on boom or bust sluggers, the big money deals for middling pitchers, the complete refusal to spend internationally, its all so at odds with how the game is done in 2018

anyway, yankee stadium fans booing bryce harper for leaving the game after his second HBP of the night sure is an odd recruiting strategy
Harper had been connected with the Yankees but there really isn't a fit there with Stanton and Judge in the OF. It's much more likely that they go after Machado.
I'd list the suitors (at this ridiculously early date) for each like this:

Machado

Yankees
Phillies
Cubs
Diamondbacks

Harper

Nationals
Dodgers
Cubs
Braves
Phillies

I'd be willing to be money that Philly will land one of the two.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i dont expect harper to go to new york either

but to be honest i dont expect the nats to re-sign him unless his market is shockingly low. without him, eaton, soto, robles (plus platoon/bench pieces like taylor and goodwin) make an outfield a contender could happily rely on. theres injury risk but if the harper money can be spread all over the roster instead, well...idk. its a good problem.

tc, you listing the dbacks there shocks me. everything ive read has them really up against the financial wall due to the greinke deal. add in increasing salaries for their core and i dont see how they fit machado

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Shakespeare wrote:i dont expect harper to go to new york either

but to be honest i dont expect the nats to re-sign him unless his market is shockingly low. without him, eaton, soto, robles (plus platoon/bench pieces like taylor and goodwin) make an outfield a contender could happily rely on. theres injury risk but if the harper money can be spread all over the roster instead, well...idk. its a good problem.

tc, you listing the dbacks there shocks me. everything ive read has them really up against the financial wall due to the greinke deal. add in increasing salaries for their core and i dont see how they fit machado
Personally, I would agree but I listen to MLB Radio a lot and most of the GM types on the station think that they will eat some of Greinke's deal in order to trade him to sign a hitter and they love Machado. I guess we'll all see.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Shakespeare, you have to be loving Juan Soto. Kid is dynamic. Frankly with Soto, Victor Robles, Carter Kieboom and some nice pitching prospects they’d be better served letting Harper walk. $300-$400 mil can get you a lot of help for solid young core.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

indeed, hes really taken his opportunity and run with it. hopefully robles is back in time to ge enough at bars to be trusted with the center field gig next year. michael a taylor has sure come down to earth.

sotos emergence might put the ball entirely in harpers court. if he wants to come back, the nats can make it happen, but they dont necessarily have to enter a bidding war. strange situation

in other news im going to jurassic park night at a local minir league team (featuring carter kieboom i believe) and jose canseco is signing autographs. cant wait

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Mike Trout is on pace to break Babe Ruth’s record for WAR in a season.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Shakespeare wrote:indeed, hes really taken his opportunity and run with it. hopefully robles is back in time to ge enough at bars to be trusted with the center field gig next year. michael a taylor has sure come down to earth.

sotos emergence might put the ball entirely in harpers court. if he wants to come back, the nats can make it happen, but they dont necessarily have to enter a bidding war. strange situation

in other news im going to jurassic park night at a local minir league team (featuring carter kieboom i believe) and jose canseco is signing autographs. cant wait
Nice. I'd love to hear your scouting report on Carter Kieboom. His A+ numbers are fantastic .303/.392/.504 .408 wOBA and 151 wRC+. You'd probably expect him to get a shot at AA by the end of the year, but of course I don't know anything about their development philosophies.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Mike Trout is on pace to break Babe Ruth’s record for WAR in a season.
Absolutely incredible. He's got a 2 1/2 years left as Angel (probably). If Harper is getting $350 mil or so what will teams be willing to pay THAT guy after 2020? Kind of boggles the mind.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

All I know about King Felix is what I see in the stats and I just couldn't believe he's fallen that far that fast so I was eager to see him pitch against the Sox last nite. He's clearly lost something off the heater but I thought he pitched really well (thru the 5 innings I watched). Took the loss, but went 7 and gave up only 2 runs. As w/ almost all the distinguished long time vets I hope he has a bit more left in the tank. Verlander, for one, sure seems to have found new life.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:All I know about King Felix is what I see in the stats and I just couldn't believe he's fallen that far that fast so I was eager to see him pitch against the Sox last nite. He's clearly lost something off the heater but I thought he pitched really well (thru the 5 innings I watched). Took the loss, but went 7 and gave up only 2 runs. As w/ almost all the distinguished long time vets I hope he has a bit more left in the tank. Verlander, for one, sure seems to have found new life.
I had written off Verlander for dead years ago. Boy, was I wrong. The interesting thing about him is that since getting to Houston some of his velo has returned. He had learned to pitch without it over the last couple of years but with the those adjustments and the velo up a tick he's become what? The second or third best pitcher in the game again? Crazy. King Felix isn't as lucky as he's lost a lot of velocity but the man can pitch. I hope he keeps it up that Seattle team is fun to watch,

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:Mike Trout is on pace to break Babe Ruth’s record for WAR in a season.
I don't know if it's still true, but as of a couple of weeks ago, Trout was the only guy ever to have a positive WAR for every single game in which he played in a season. It seems impossible to keep that up for a whole season (and he may have already broken that string) but if anyone can do it, he seems like the guy.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
I don't know if it's still true, but as of a couple of weeks ago, Trout was the only guy ever to have a positive WAR for every single game in which he played in a season. It seems impossible to keep that up for a whole season (and he may have already broken that string) but if anyone can do it, he seems like the guy.
Now tell me why, in a league wanting remake the game because it's fanbase is shrinking, why this guy's face isn't on billboards all over the country? MLB has no clue how to market itself.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Now tell me why, in a league wanting remake the game because it's fanbase is shrinking, why this guy's face isn't on billboards all over the country? MLB has no clue how to market itself.
It's the curse of baseball still being a mostly regional sport

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:It's the curse of baseball still being a mostly regional sport
That's their own fault. The NHL is always going to be a regional sport because of it's limited appeal, baseball is a game that should transcend regional boundaries. Yankees, Dodgers and Giant game were broadcast on national radio networks in the 1940's. In the 70's and 80's TBS and WGN made Braves and Cubs fans out of people all over the country. They simply stopped trying. Sure there's a Facebook game of the week that started this year but it isn't enough. No one even knows who the stars are except for the ones who promote themselves like Bryce Harper. Yet we're probably going to get an illegal defense rule to allow more scoring to appeal to short attention spans. Market your fucking sport and maybe you'll get better fans.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

fairly interesting piece on Davey Johnson

https://deadspin.com/talking-to-davey-j ... 1826875890

The sweep of his career, start to finish, is astonishing—he faced a 58-year-old Satchel Paige and managed a 19-year-old Bryce Harper, was teammates with Frank Robinson and Hank Aaron and Sadaharu Oh and Mike Schmidt, was managed by Eddie Mathews and got hitting tips from Ted Williams, and was manager to Adrian Beltre and Stephen Strasburg. Johnson’s thinking about the game never curdled in part because he never really left it; laid end to end, as Johnson does in his recent memoir Davey Johnson: My Wild Ride In Baseball And Beyond, there’s something Forrest Gump-ian about the sweep of his life in baseball.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Trout has more games this year reaching base 4+ times (12) than hitless games (11)

whatwouldcooleydo?

Watching Nats/Sux to kill time before Giants/Rockies. They just announced that the mother of Brian Johnson (Red Sox starter) was one of the Doublemint Twins back in the 50s

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Heading out to SF shortly for Giants/Cards tonight and tomorrow, very excited, even with Giants losing 4 straight. Was supposed to see Bumgarner start tomorrow but now it's Samardzija in his first start back from injury. Wanted to see the Cubs play next week but we have McMurtry/Paul Thorn here Tuesday, plus we are now having a semi-surprise visit from our very own allisonsdc and her family!

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Heading out to SF shortly for Giants/Cards tonight and tomorrow, very excited, even with Giants losing 4 straight. Was supposed to see Bumgarner start tomorrow but now it's Samardzija in his first start back from injury. Wanted to see the Cubs play next week but we have McMurtry/Paul Thorn here Tuesday, plus we are now having a semi-surprise visit from our very own allisonsdc and her family!
And you're getting a Crazy Crab scarf!

https://www.mlb.com/giants/video/crazy- ... d=26516880
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

words do not suffice