Facebook and 3dd

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Facebook and 3dd

Post by Clams »

95% of the DBT and other music talk and nonsense that used to take place here on 3dd now takes place on FB. There are definitely some positives and negatives to this shift but I do miss the older more active version of 3dd.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

dime in the gutter

Re: Facebook and 3dd

Post by dime in the gutter »

go fuck yourself.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I honestly can't comment on how much DBT content gets discussed on Facebook as opposed to here. I had to block the DBT Facebook group from an over saturation of overt nerd obsession from a certain Wisconsin Facebook user that posts every time a bowel movement's shape reminds him of something off of The Big To Do.

For whatever reason it made me insistently angry so that I had to block that in my feed.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Clams wrote:95% of the DBT and other music talk and nonsense that used to take place here on 3dd now takes place on FB. There are definitely some positives and negatives to this shift but I do miss the older more active version of 3dd.
Just the other day I was kinda lamenting what a vibrant place this used to be. Maybe, I dunno, 2010ish this place had probably 25 hardcore regulars that added to the conversation multiple times a day and many more familiar faces that stopped in at least a few times a week. And not to get too misty but we've been through births of kids and jobs and divorces and all kinds of shit. Mrs Beebs has never set foot in here but would regular ask stuff like "Hey, what's going on with whoever who had that thing happen..." These days it can get pretty quiet around here for extended periods.

I think Clams nailed it. We still discuss relevant musical topics here, but all the friendly banter that kept this place revved up - musical or otherwise - now happens between folks on FB. I'm fairly conservative with my FB usage so I don't friend a lot of the folks that I know from here (yes, the few of you should indeed feel very special).

Some times I feel like everything evolves and this is just how nothing stays the same and then sometimes I'm all like MAKE 3DD GREAT AGAIN!!!
Beebs is not a ragey man

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I still like 3DD better than the Facebook groups.

Plus, I can't always keep the FB groups straight.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

With every passing day I feel even better about never doing the FB thing. And not for one second have I dealt with FOMO
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Clams

Post by Clams »

dime in the gutter wrote:go fuck yourself.
Does that mean I'm not a fucking genius anymore?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Definitely miss Little Mama, Joelle and some of the other 3DD NC regulars
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Clams wrote:
potato/potatoe

both usages of fuck(ing) statements from my part.....were og raps from/about the glory days of 9b/3dd. props, if you will.

but you already know that.

also...we don't have any russian bots since lj was banned.

we need some woodduck about right now. how bout some gerg? marklynn might be my favorite poster ever.

facebook sucks. 3dd is perfect. now or then.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Some time back Kudzu Guillotine told me he thought this very thing was in its earliest stages and that facebook had already done some damage and would eventually, if not bring this place to an end altogether, certainly make it something of a ghost town compared to what it once was.

It seems like he was at least partly right. I haven't been around here nearly as long as some of you but in the time I have been here I have seen it change. Several of the folks who used to post a lot in my first few years here either rarely post anymore or have disappeared completely.

To me, a big part of the conversation here was the DBT Track of the Week and album of the week threads. Those provided a lot of great discussion. But once we had discussed all of the songs at length and all the albums, it left a pretty sizeable void.

I still enjoy the What's Everyone Listening To thread. I have discovered artists there that are now among my favorites. On the rare occasion hat somebody does an Artist of the Week thread I enjoy those. I like reading threads about particular DBT shows and reading the set lists and reviews. But it does seem like there just isn't he same kind of discussion that there used to be.

I personally am not real fond of Facebook. If it weren't for keeping in touch with long distance friends from here and my days in the military, I would scrap Facebook completely. I really don't much other than memes that I find funny and the occasional picture. I left one of the DBT facebook groups that somebody here had invited me to join after about the third major pissing match that I witnessed that is so typical of social media. And the other DBT facebook group that I was a member of, I'm not sure what happened. I just stopped seeing notifications from it. I do t know how I could have been kicked off it as I rarely posted anything.

As Kudzu said that day we were talking about it, message boards seem to be on their way out. I hate to see it because I much prefer this format and means of communication to the quick, jerky, sound bite, short attention span format of Facebook and other social media. I hope 3dd hangs in there.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Clams wrote:

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Can't speak for Clams but I'm not talking about any DBT specific FB group. Just folks from here who are now general "friends" on FB.

For the record, I find FB pretty useful and don't feel victimized by it at all. Socially, it keeps me in touch with folks who'd probably otherwise slip away. But I use it primarily as a news feed, rather than posting or much back and forth socializing. Easy way to keep tabs on bands, organizations, etc.
Beebs is not a ragey man

scotto

Post by scotto »

I'm online a lot less in general, but still prefer 3DD to Facebook for DBT talk. As mentioned above, the FB DBT group is just too much--similar to the Neil Young fan group I'm on--and I never post and seldom even read it. I check FB briefly in the morning and a bit more after work and that's plenty.
I lurk here a lot, just don't post as much as I used to. But still love this community.
Cheers.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Cole Younger wrote:To me, a big part of the conversation here was the DBT Track of the Week and album of the week threads. Those provided a lot of great discussion. But once we had discussed all of the songs at length and all the albums, it left a pretty sizeable void.
Very true. I was thinking exactly this yesterday. However, there are, what, twenty officially released DBT songs we haven't kicked around yet? Maybe Track of the Month to stretch it out. Or we could play Identify That Quote! Or MadLibs! Or Fill In The Blank! What. Would. You. Say. To finish this sentence:
It’s like writing about a bowel movement. It’s hard to write anything eloquent about diarrhea, and that’s kind of what <FILL IN THE BLANK> is right now. It’s just like a big exploding shit.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I don’t think Facebook lends itself well to discussion. Conversations are harder to follow and it’s harder to keep the trolls away

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beebs wrote: Just the other day I was kinda lamenting what a vibrant place this used to be. Maybe, I dunno, 2010ish this place had probably 25 hardcore regulars that added to the conversation multiple times a day and many more familiar faces that stopped in at least a few times a week. And not to get too misty but we've been through births of kids and jobs and divorces and all kinds of shit. Mrs Beebs has never set foot in here but would regular ask stuff like "Hey, what's going on with whoever who had that thing happen..." These days it can get pretty quiet around here for extended periods.
Exactly. I get it that everything online evolves but I do miss the glory days of 9B/3DD. It was a really fun place 24/7.

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:With every passing day I feel even better about never doing the FB thing. And not for one second have I dealt with FOMO
Zip City wrote:Definitely miss Little Mama, Joelle and some of the other 3DD NC regulars
You two have nailed it. I agree with WWCD because Facebook can be annoying as shit. But IMO the good outweighs the bad. Zip, you miss Joelle and Little Mama? Guess what?? Joelle moved to New Orleans, she rides motorcyle and teaches at a charter school, and her kids are both grown up and I think one of them went to Harvard. Little Mama? Her daughters are teenagers now and she's got an adorable 3 year old son and I know that because I see pics of him every day. I've literally watched the boy grow up from the day he was born. And fyi both Joelle and Little Mama are still hot AF. Can't beat facebook for staying in touch with heathens and far off friends, that's for sure.

Cole Younger wrote: To me, a big part of the conversation here was the DBT Track of the Week and album of the week threads. Those provided a lot of great discussion. But once we had discussed all of the songs at length and all the albums, it left a pretty sizeable void.

I still enjoy the What's Everyone Listening To thread. I have discovered artists there that are now among my favorites. On the rare occasion hat somebody does an Artist of the Week thread I enjoy those. I like reading threads about particular DBT shows and reading the set lists and reviews. But it does seem like there just isn't he same kind of discussion that there used to be.
Agree with Cole - the Listening thread is without question the best thing about 3DD these days. (and thank god for Shakespeare holding it down for us lately, we'd be up shits creek without him). But here's the thing - all the stuff that used to be on 3dd - show posts, videos, discussions about lyrics and albums, etc) now takes place in the DBT facebook group. Sure you get a lot of weird ass stuff by randoms and weirdos, but you also get the insightful stuff from the regulars who used to post here all the time. Plus PHood posts regularly over there, which is pretty cool and never happened here. Not only that, but pretty much every single day on FB you essentially get an Artist of the Week thread with discussions of records, songs, artists, shows, etc. Yes you have to get thru some idiotic people and posts, but at least the discussions are happening. On the downside, I still get blamed for a lot of shit.

Beebs wrote: For the record, I find FB pretty useful and don't feel victimized by it at all. Socially, it keeps me in touch with folks who'd probably otherwise slip away. But I use it primarily as a news feed, rather than posting or much back and forth socializing. Easy way to keep tabs on bands, organizations, etc.
Agree. For all the shit thrown at Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg, I still like it. Yes I know they're using my data or whatever but in the end I don't give a shit. I pay no money and get to stay in touch with all folks from all over the fucking planet- people I grew up with, went to elementary and high school with, college, former coworkers, neighbors, family, trucker family, etc. That's pretty fuckin cool. They can have my data in exchange, I'm cool with that. And I'm smart enough to verify my news sources and (hopefully) not be duped by russian bots.

scotto wrote:I'm online a lot less in general, but still prefer 3DD to Facebook for DBT talk.
I prefer 3DD too, it's just that the talk here is mostly disappearing.

Zip City wrote:it’s harder to keep the trolls away
True dat.

And fuck you dime you facebook hating all lower case cajun ass Les Miles butt fucking motherfucker!!
Last edited by Clams on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Laughing Smiley Face

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:With every passing day I feel even better about never doing the FB thing.
Quoted for truth.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cubfan06 wrote:I honestly can't comment on how much DBT content gets discussed on Facebook as opposed to here. I had to block the DBT Facebook group from an over saturation of overt nerd obsession from a certain Wisconsin Facebook user that posts every time a bowel movement's shape reminds him of something off of The Big To Do.

For whatever reason it made me insistently angry so that I had to block that in my feed.
That dude just shouts into the void. I’ve never seen someone post so much with so few responses.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:I honestly can't comment on how much DBT content gets discussed on Facebook as opposed to here. I had to block the DBT Facebook group from an over saturation of overt nerd obsession from a certain Wisconsin Facebook user that posts every time a bowel movement's shape reminds him of something off of The Big To Do.

That dude just shouts into the void. I’ve never seen someone post so much with so few responses.
I scrolled through the DBT Facebook this morning, and I didn't see much conversation. Just that guy talking to himself.

There was a guy who used to do that a lot here. Had a lot of stories about hitchhiking. Can't remember the screen name.

John A Arkansawyer

Iowan wrote:
Zip City wrote:

I scrolled through the DBT Facebook this morning, and I didn't see much conversation. Just that guy talking to himself.

There was a guy who used to do that a lot here. Had a lot of stories about hitchhiking. Can't remember the screen name.
Hey now. He told great stories.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:There was a guy who used to do that a lot here. Had a lot of stories about hitchhiking. Can't remember the screen name.
Chico Harris, my fellow Mississippian. I love Chico! That dude has lived some life. Hitchhiked around the world, ran a music magazine in Oxford, was a personal confidant and friend of Joe Strummer, has seen over 200 Springsteen shows and used to host a radio show with Matt Patton's wife. Dude is a character of the best sort.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Clams wrote: the Listening thread is without question the best thing about 3DD these days. (and thank god for Shakespeare holding it down for us lately, we'd be up shits creek without him).
heh, thanks for this. i do love that thread, got some great recs from it over the years. sad to see it ever go a few days between posts

im pretty active on one facebook music page and its a great source to keep in touch with folks both about the band and about other stuff, but i echo everyone here that the message board setup is a better home for this stuff. just so much easier to think of a band and search the board archives real quick, and convo on facebook groups tends to disappear too fast for my liking, so its easier to catch up on this format.

fwiw this board has had the least drama of any ive ever been a part of. there was LJ, obviously, but even that was pretty much contained to one thread.

i wish this place had a bit more going on but what can you do, as someone who spends too much time on the internet (both at home and at work) i cant fault anyone deciding to cut down a bit.

i'll stick around even if theres never a heyday like the period circa 2010 when i joined

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:There was a guy who used to do that a lot here. Had a lot of stories about hitchhiking. Can't remember the screen name.
Chico Harris, my fellow Mississippian. I love Chico! That dude has lived some life. Hitchhiked around the world, ran a music magazine in Oxford, was a personal confidant and friend of Joe Strummer, has seen over 200 Springsteen shows and used to host a radio show with Matt Patton's wife. Dude is a character of the best sort.
He posted in the “...Seeing Live?” Thread all the time and he seemed to bar hop 3-4 different shows per night

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

LBRod wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:With every passing day I feel even better about never doing the FB thing.
Quoted for truth.
Quoted for AMEN! (now back to writing my snail mail thank you notes- yeah I know- I am an old turd)

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

LBRod wrote:
Quoted for truth.
I made a career out of social media, but have largely given up on it. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that it is more bad than good. I generally feel that I am screaming into the void, screaming into an echo chamber or posting stuff just to feel good. The entire system is generally reliant on good human behavior, and we just haven't evolved as a species to effectively use such tools.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I use Facebook but have avoided twitter like the plague

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
He posted in the “...Seeing Live?” Thread all the time and he seemed to bar hop 3-4 different shows per night
He does. He's at a show in Oxford or Tupelo at Proud Larry's or the Blue Canoe almost every night of the week sometimes, like you say, more than one. There isn't a musician that plays in Mississippi who doesn't know him. He has a long term girlfriend now and has regained his DL so the hitchhiking is largely a thing of the past.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

pearlbeer wrote:
LBRod wrote:
Quoted for truth.
I made a career out of social media, but have largely given up on it. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that it is more bad than good. I generally feel that I am screaming into the void, screaming into an echo chamber or posting stuff just to feel good. The entire system is generally reliant on good human behavior, and we just haven't evolved as a species to effectively use such tools.
Can you imagine what it would be like if there were something like Facebook, but which was designed to make you a better person, as defined by your own standards, configured into the application?

Thanks to their incredibly unethical experimentation on human subjects--they'd've been kicked out of academia a zillion times over for the shit they pull--as well as that of other internet scumbags (I'm thinking of OKCupid in particular, since their founder is local) and their enablers, we now have the sort of massive data set that allows us to see what their infernal manipulation does and how well it does it. Now it's time to take their ill-gotten gains and do something useful with it. There's no more point in throwing it away (which you can't really do with data anyway) than in throwing away the results of Fascist experimentation on humans during World War II.

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:There isn't a musician that plays in Mississippi who doesn't know him.
I think that's true or close enough to it, given how many musicians not from around there I know who know him.