Homecoming Book - all profits to Nuci’s (need your stories)

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ramonz

Homecoming Book - all profits to Nuci’s (need your stories)

Post by ramonz »

Folks, DBT fans are creating a nice coffee table-style book of photos, essays, stories, and interviews about the incomparable Homecoming experience, with all profits going to Nuci’s Space - and we need your story! Our goal: To tell the story of the special relationship between the band and the community (the fans, Athens, and Nuci’s) at Homecoming, and show how Homecoming is a wellspring of generosity, commitment, support, and friendship. The story of DBT, its fans at Homecoming, and how it has impacted you is a story that should be told. If we can tell it well, perhaps it might serve as an inspiration to others to act in a similarly selfless manner in their hometown communities.

This book, in many ways, will be about the fans, by the fans. Please hit us with your Homecoming stories in the following link: https://promokitchen.formstack.com/form ... oming_book There are 10 or so questions in here (and a Release that’s required to submit at the end), so answer those questions that have meaning to you and feel free to color outside the lines. We’d encourage you to upload one (under 5MB) photo to help us pack this thing with fantastic memories of music, friendship, community, and fun. In other words, get yourself in the book, folks! The plan is to get your thoughts on Homecoming in general/past Homecomings now (before the rush in a few weeks), and then send out another quick questionnaire after this year’s Homecoming to get your thoughts on this one. Then we’ll gather everything, edit, and try to publish by Summer 2018. The goal is to create funds for Nuci’s when we sell the books later this year, but also hopefully create an ongoing revenue stream as the books sell into the future.

Lots of interviews and essays have taken place over the past few months with folks in the DBT/Homecoming orbit – think artists and musicians and writers and city leaders, local bar and restaurant owners, and many others. The reaction has been incredible – I don’t think a single person contacted has said anything other than “Yes!, how can I help?”

Thanks ya’ll – let’s together make this as impactful as we can all imagine it being. Tackle the questions over your favorite beer, wine, or bourbon, with your favorite DBT album on, and let’s see if we can knock this part out over the next few weeks. See you soon and travel safely!

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Re: Homecoming Book - all profits to Nuci’s (need your stori

Post by alquina »

I'm so excited about this project!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Just to be clear. Although the narrative of this project will center on Homecoming, ANY and ALL DBT fans are welcome to participate with their band related stories. We encourage EVERYONE to take part and await your responses
Always go to the show

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Forcing my hand to get my thoughts down on paper huh? Touche 3DD. Can't wait to see this come together! Love yall HeAthens.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Forcing my hand to get my thoughts down on paper huh? Touche 3DD. Can't wait to see this come together! Love yall HeAthens.
Love it, GMU. Bunch of submissions so far this weekend - keep 'em coming! You guys have so much to say that needs to be in this book. Your stories as a member of the DBT fan community, and/or of your Homecoming experiences, will be the heart & soul of it. Thanks to those who have knocked it out, and to those who are working on it or mulling it over. Let's do this for Nucis, and a chance to be a permanent part of the chronicling of something really special.

Flea

Post by Flea »

What is the submission deadline? In other words, I'm damn lazy and need a firm cutoff to get motivated.
Now it's dark.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

We will likely have a lot of content from this year's Homecoming (onsite photos, interviews, etc.) to digest, so if it's possible to get it in before HC, that would be the ideal. That said, that's gonna be hard for some folks - and there is no hard-and-fast deadline as of yet. Putting it all together/editing to deliver the finished book by summer will be the most time-consuming part, so the sooner the better.

Additionally, the final book size may grow/shrink depending on how many submissions we get (which impacts budget, pricing, demand, etc.), so it would be REALLY HELPFUL to know on the early side who will be contributing so we can plan.

So, ideal deadline for this phase would be before Homecoming, but we'll certainly accept (and welcome!) a bunch of submissions after that. There will come a time, though (maybe end of March?) when we'll need to close it off and work with what we have.

Take the time you need to deliver your stories and memories - that's of course more important than rushing it. But sooner is better than later. Hope that helps.

LagoonField

Post by LagoonField »

I'm done, that was fun.

I uploaded one picture, but it was hard to choose. I have a few others I liked. So if you are interested in a few more photos let me know.

I probably could help with content also, if you are looking for a hand. I occasionally write small pieces for work and help out with obits et al for friends.

I'm looking forward to how this turns out. Great idea...

Tim

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

UPDATE

Thanks to everyone who has submitted! These have really been fantastic. And to those who've procrastinated, it's not too late to get yours in!!

I bet we have 60% of the essays and interviews in (folks are working, on tour, living their busy lives, etc.), and 90% of the fan questionnaires through the FormStack link in. Still waiting on a few good ones that have said they're coming - you know who you are! :D

The goal had been to have all content in by 3/31, but we'll obviously need to move that to 4/30. It was always a somewhat arbitrary date, so much better to get it all in than to cut it off and leave great stories untold.

In terms of a new timeline (and again, thankfully we have no hard and fast deadline), it's looking like:

APR: pull in all the rest of the content and note the "best" photos
MAY: editing and layout
JUNE- AUG: printing and shipping (in transit)
SEPT: books delivered to Nuci's/helping them sell and promote

And, of course, these dates could shift if we run into issues or delays during any phase above.

This book is really coming together folks - I think we'll be proud momas and popas of this special thing we've all had a hand in creating.

I think that's it for now......all thoughts welcome.....

Thanks!!

GuitarManUpstairs

I feel like getting this done tonight.

GuitarManUpstairs

but we'll obviously need to move that to 4/30.
Very happy to read this. I've had a LOT of irons in the fire.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Okay my two stories are in: The Origin of I Blame Clams and Drinking Whiskey With Swamp
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Great news! I had a hard time navigating that site with my nook and I had forgot to mention one of my favorite moments. 2011 Homecoming, trading air guitar licks with Jonicont and Howlinwolf during Buttholeville
Clams wrote:Okay my two stories are in: The Origin of I Blame Clams and Drinking Whiskey With Swamp
Nice Clams. I have a story I'm working on from the 2011 "summer homecoming" but I haven't decided on a title yet. It's either "It all started with Bill"* or "Keep me outta jail if you would please Jenn"
* Yes Bill in CT
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

OK folks, getting close to the final deadline of 5/1. If you've been procrastinating but still want to be a part of the book, please send in your submissions this weekend. It's shaping up to be something really special.

Thanks!

bogart

Post by bogart »

do I have until midnight tonight?

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Of course! Waiting on a couple more folks that I think were working on it....

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

From Ramonz

Hey folks! Lots cooking behind the scenes on the Homecoming & Fan Community book, so wanted to update everyone. This project has been quite the endeavor, but it is coming together really nicely and I think you guys will be very proud of this beautiful baby you all helped produce

We are in the final stages of editing and layout but there are a few areas where we are missing a photo or two. We would greatly appreciate photos of the following people and places:

Craig with friends and fans

Jenn (maybe from Max Canada event at this year’s HC?)

Jim Wilson

Don Chambers

Will Johnson

Trae Crowder

Daniel Hutchens

Thayer Sarrano

Dazed Inn

Wuxtry Records

Mamie Davis (’16 Homecoming)

Velena Vego

Joseph Davis

Please send a few photos (no more than 3 or 4, to make sure the email gets through) to me if you have high-quality and meaningful pics that help fill the specific few gaps mentioned above. Please send to robertf@brandfuel.com and tell me who is in the photo, when it was taken (date), and where it was taken. By sending this in, you also relinquish all rights to the photo to the book’s owner, Nuci’s Space. We may or may not use the photo.

Thanks
Ramonz
Always go to the show